Could the call for legalizing weed be Obama's "October Surprise" ?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 04:40:10
I could see Obama calling for legalizing weed because....
Obama will do anything to energize his voter base!
Obama wouldn't dare call for the weed legalization because...
Other Thoughts!
Could the call for legalizing weed be Obama s  October Surprise

In 2004 George W. Bush's re-election campaign worked to put anti-gay marriage ballot initiatives up for vote in several swing states in order to turn out more hard-core conservatives to the polls. This year the question is whether marijuana legalization measures will turn out young voters for Obama.

Bush's plan to use gay marriage bans -- in states that did not actually allow gay marriage -- as a turnout booster led to signs featuring icky public restroom symbols proliferated and liberal panic that the Christian right had taken over. The press obsessed over "values voters." One of Bush's aides, Ken Mehlman, who later came out as gay himself, has apologized for the strategy, two others say it didn't work.

This year there's another incumbent president with modest approval ratings who could turn out his base with controversial ballot measures. But this time, the issue features no biblical or scatological imagery. In 2012, voters in swing states will decide whether they'll allow their fellow citizens to bear joints. Unlike the gay marriage votes, there's no indication that Obama's re-election team is behind any of the pot legalization initiatives, but there are Democrats who are hoping that it will boost turnout among weed's biggest fans: young people.

Getting more young people to vote has long been a Democratic fantasy, since they tend to vote so heavily Democratic. But past attempts to bong the vote have been disappointing, in part because stoners aren't the group anyone would most count on to bother filling out a ballot. Ahead of the 2010 midterms, The Wall Street Journal ran the story, "Democrats Look to Cultivate Pot Vote in 2012," noting that California's pot-legalizing Proposition 19 was being studied to see if similar measures "could energize young, liberal voters in swing states for the 2012 presidential election." But exit polls that year showed no spike in young voter turnout, and marijuana legalization was the top issue for just 1 in 10 voters, the Los Angeles Times reported. (Also: Californians ended up voting down Prop. 19.) Still, there were hopeful signs: 64 percent of voters 18-to-24 supported it, and 52 percent of voters 25-to-29 did. In March, the pro-legalization site Just Say Now suggested that the presidential election will draw more young people to the polls, and they'll vote for pot legalization while they're there.

That being said, several have argued that this could be the year for pro-marijuana turnout. After all, 2011 was the first year more young people smoked pot than cigarettes, the CDC says. There is a marijuana initiative on the ballot in Washington, and there might be one in Nebraska and Massachusetts, but those states are pretty solid for one party or the other. Here's our guide to whether pot politics could make an impact in the swing states considering new marijuana rules:

State: Colorado

Initiative: Amendment 64 would make it legal for adults to possess up to an ounce of marijuana or six plants for cultivating. The state has allowed medical marijuana since 2000. Pro-legalization groups have raised $2 million to campaign for the amendment, the Denver Post reports.

Chances of passage: In December, the left-leaning Public Policy Polling found that 49 percent of voterssupported the amendment. But this month, the right-leaning Rasmussen found that 61 percent of likely Colorado voters support it.

Chances it'll affect Obama's standing in the state: The president is averaging a very slim lead in the state, less than 2 percentage points over Mitt Romney. The Associated Press points out that though a marijuana measure failed in 2006, that year Coloradans elected a Democratic governor after eight years of Republican rule.

State: Ohio

Initiative: Supporters are collecting the 400,000 signatures required to get two amendments on the ballot: the Medical Cannabis Amendment and the Alternative Treatment Amendment. The first would allow medical marijuana, the second would set up a commission to regulate it. They were approved by the state attorney general several months ago, and the signature deadline is July 4.

Chances of passage: The initiatives aren't on the ballot yet. But in 2009 and 2010, separate polls found that 73 percent of Ohioans supported allowing medical marijuana.

Read more: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/06/legalizing-we...

From : The Atlantic Wire
By:
ELSPETH REEVE

• Red Branch 2012/06/14 04:54:38
    Red Branch
    +9
    In this case he will need to find a way to energize those he is appealing to, just so they vote.
    Amnesty is a bigger fear of mine. 30 million new citizens and we are done for.

• Theresa 2012/06/14 14:15:54
    Theresa
    +3
    Ron Paul just jettisoned his voting block. So if the Usurper brings up this idea. then perhaps he could grab a few of those voters.
  • ReconMa... Theresa 2012/06/14 17:06:10
  • Stevern... Theresa 2012/06/14 17:37:06
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Plus,if weed is legalized.Obama's biggest rich supporter,George Soros,would use his connections to make a bunch of money on legal weed.It is said that Soros invests (Money laundering) vast amounts of money from "South American Billionaires".He be more then happy to get them restart the massive South American pot plantations.And flood America with tons of cheap weed.And as a bonus,Soros could further sap too many Americans will to fight for keeping their freedom from oppressive government!
  • Wayne 2012/06/14 14:15:52
    Wayne
    +5
    Obama is groping! LOL! I guess he needs some doping! :)
  • dominic garcia 2012/06/14 14:03:18 (edited)
    dominic garcia
    +4
    I went to a democratic meeting a year ago and that was the subject. The officials wanted to discuss the possibility of legalizing marijuana. I was shocked that 80% of the people there, wanted to legalize it. Most of the officials there, admitted to smoking it in college. They were very comfortable admitting it and I was shocked! What do you expect when our president is not embarrassed, talking about his cocaine use. Don't know about you, but I just don't feel comfortable having a druggie as a president.
  • ReconMa... dominic... 2012/06/14 17:09:55
  • dominic... ReconMa... 2012/06/14 17:23:26
    dominic garcia
    +2
    Wow I didn't know that. I am anti-drugs because they have destroyed members in my family. They began with pot smoking. I brought it up at the meeting and they ignored my comments. They said that pot was not hurtful. I argued that most pot smokers go into higher and more dangerous drugs. Liberals think they know everything and fail to analyze situations.
  • ReconMa... dominic... 2012/06/14 19:26:18
  • dominic... ReconMa... 2012/06/15 01:18:10
    dominic garcia
    +2
    Yep sorry to hear that....sad part about it is, the brain damage is usually irreversible.
  • ReconMa... dominic... 2012/06/15 02:03:52
  • Chi~Cat 2012/06/14 13:33:12
    Chi~Cat
    +5
    IT is a desperate rat.

obama rat
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 13:21:20
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    ANYTHING for a vote. He's desperate.
  • ReconMa... Torchma... 2012/06/14 17:10:23
  • RageFury 2012/06/14 13:20:29
    RageFury
    +5
    Because freedom to do as you wish is popular... Not that I in anyway support Obama, nor will I support Obama. His actions speak louder than his rhetoric.
  • GoodEncounter 2012/06/14 13:10:59
    GoodEncounter
    +3
    That man will say anything to get himself re-elected.
  • ReconMa... GoodEnc... 2012/06/14 17:11:07
  • GoodEnc... ReconMa... 2012/06/15 00:52:00
    GoodEncounter
    +2
    No kidding!!!
  • ReconMa... GoodEnc... 2012/06/15 01:03:46
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/06/14 13:10:45
    Other Thoughts!
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +5
    He may be just dumb enough to do it...
  • GoodEnc... Philo® ... 2012/06/15 02:10:26
    GoodEncounter
    +1
    Dumb enough and arrogant enough!
  • Dale 2012/06/14 13:09:26
    Other Thoughts!
    Dale
    +2
    Boy,! That'll get the clear-headed out to vote, wont it?
  • ReconMa... Dale 2012/06/14 17:11:32
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/06/14 12:45:52
    Elaine Magliacane
    +2
    He wants all those Ron Paul voters... problem is they get stoned and forget to vote.
  • beach bum 2012/06/14 12:38:21
    Other Thoughts!
    beach bum
  • Racefish 2012/06/14 12:36:35
    Other Thoughts!
    Racefish
    +3
    Not sure, but I wouldn't doubt he's been using for a very long time.
  • Wulfdane 2012/06/14 12:34:10 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Wulfdane
    +3
    Obama has made it clear, he does not support full legalization of marijuna. His position on this issue has not changed , which he reiterated in Columbia.

Niether party in Congress supports full legalization, there is no support for it. Period.
  • RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 12:13:31
    Other Thoughts!
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +6
    Let's hope he does, it would be nice to have that kind of guarantee that he'll be gone in November. And let's hope Moochelle grows it in her magic garden!
  • Stevern... RJ~PWCM... 2012/06/14 12:45:32
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I can see the signs now "Pot Heads For Obama"....lol

Pot Heads For Obama Pot Heads For Obama
  • RJ~PWCM... Stevern... 2012/06/14 16:53:14
  • ReconMa... RJ~PWCM... 2012/06/14 17:13:49
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/06/14 12:12:42
    Other Thoughts!
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +6
    Rome is burning! Marijuana what?
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2012/06/14 10:35:46
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +4
    Because he sure can't win on his record! Concentrating on the lesser ideas Might get him re elected---------------- if so, bye bye freedom!
  • ReconMa... doofieg... 2012/06/14 17:15:52
    +4
    Aside from his own associates, everyone else still remembers that reefers really can drive some people crazy.
  • ReconMa... Temlako... 2012/06/14 17:15:03
  • doofieg... Temlako... 2012/06/14 18:48:39
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    It can and does do so! My sister and one of my son's used it all the time, and both became Manic Depressives! It threw their brain chemistry out of whack! She died crazy as a loon because she refused her meds, my son goes through cycles of sanity and insanity to this day!
  • Temlako... doofieg... 2012/06/15 02:38:33
    +2
    Wow! So THAT's the Reefer Madness! That movie didn't get it right, but few movies do.
  • Huntclan 2012/06/14 08:38:42
    Huntclan
    +2
    It has been the Feds who have been cracking down on California's Medical Marijuana farms. If the idiot who told Obie to Come Out Of The Closet is still advising him, then maybe he'll do it; otherwise, it is just another one of those things that he is paying lip service to.
  • Wolfman 2012/06/14 07:42:51
    Wolfman
    +1
    because it's a loser idea. But I certainly hope so. LOL
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/06/14 06:10:21
    Other Thoughts!
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +4
    It won't work for a lot of us pot heads. I don't want it legalized, I prefer it monitored to keep it out of the hands of kids. I smoke pot legally now. So it wouldn't cause me to vote for his sorry ass.

2014/10/24 07:53:54