Could the call for legalizing weed be Obama's "October Surprise" ?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 04:40:10
I could see Obama calling for legalizing weed because....
Obama will do anything to energize his voter base!
Obama wouldn't dare call for the weed legalization because...
Other Thoughts!
Could the call for legalizing weed be Obama s  October Surprise

In 2004 George W. Bush's re-election campaign worked to put anti-gay marriage ballot initiatives up for vote in several swing states in order to turn out more hard-core conservatives to the polls. This year the question is whether marijuana legalization measures will turn out young voters for Obama.

Bush's plan to use gay marriage bans -- in states that did not actually allow gay marriage -- as a turnout booster led to signs featuring icky public restroom symbols proliferated and liberal panic that the Christian right had taken over. The press obsessed over "values voters." One of Bush's aides, Ken Mehlman, who later came out as gay himself, has apologized for the strategy, two others say it didn't work.

This year there's another incumbent president with modest approval ratings who could turn out his base with controversial ballot measures. But this time, the issue features no biblical or scatological imagery. In 2012, voters in swing states will decide whether they'll allow their fellow citizens to bear joints. Unlike the gay marriage votes, there's no indication that Obama's re-election team is behind any of the pot legalization initiatives, but there are Democrats who are hoping that it will boost turnout among weed's biggest fans: young people.

Getting more young people to vote has long been a Democratic fantasy, since they tend to vote so heavily Democratic. But past attempts to bong the vote have been disappointing, in part because stoners aren't the group anyone would most count on to bother filling out a ballot. Ahead of the 2010 midterms, The Wall Street Journal ran the story, "Democrats Look to Cultivate Pot Vote in 2012," noting that California's pot-legalizing Proposition 19 was being studied to see if similar measures "could energize young, liberal voters in swing states for the 2012 presidential election." But exit polls that year showed no spike in young voter turnout, and marijuana legalization was the top issue for just 1 in 10 voters, the Los Angeles Times reported. (Also: Californians ended up voting down Prop. 19.) Still, there were hopeful signs: 64 percent of voters 18-to-24 supported it, and 52 percent of voters 25-to-29 did. In March, the pro-legalization site Just Say Now suggested that the presidential election will draw more young people to the polls, and they'll vote for pot legalization while they're there.

That being said, several have argued that this could be the year for pro-marijuana turnout. After all, 2011 was the first year more young people smoked pot than cigarettes, the CDC says. There is a marijuana initiative on the ballot in Washington, and there might be one in Nebraska and Massachusetts, but those states are pretty solid for one party or the other. Here's our guide to whether pot politics could make an impact in the swing states considering new marijuana rules:

State: Colorado

Initiative: Amendment 64 would make it legal for adults to possess up to an ounce of marijuana or six plants for cultivating. The state has allowed medical marijuana since 2000. Pro-legalization groups have raised $2 million to campaign for the amendment, the Denver Post reports.

Chances of passage: In December, the left-leaning Public Policy Polling found that 49 percent of voterssupported the amendment. But this month, the right-leaning Rasmussen found that 61 percent of likely Colorado voters support it.

Chances it'll affect Obama's standing in the state: The president is averaging a very slim lead in the state, less than 2 percentage points over Mitt Romney. The Associated Press points out that though a marijuana measure failed in 2006, that year Coloradans elected a Democratic governor after eight years of Republican rule.

State: Ohio

Initiative: Supporters are collecting the 400,000 signatures required to get two amendments on the ballot: the Medical Cannabis Amendment and the Alternative Treatment Amendment. The first would allow medical marijuana, the second would set up a commission to regulate it. They were approved by the state attorney general several months ago, and the signature deadline is July 4.

Chances of passage: The initiatives aren't on the ballot yet. But in 2009 and 2010, separate polls found that 73 percent of Ohioans supported allowing medical marijuana.

Read more: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/06/legalizing-we...

From : The Atlantic Wire
By:
ELSPETH REEVE

• Red Branch 2012/06/14 04:54:38
    Red Branch
    +9
    In this case he will need to find a way to energize those he is appealing to, just so they vote.
    Amnesty is a bigger fear of mine. 30 million new citizens and we are done for.

• John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/07/14 18:16:57
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    it would assurer his re-election
  • Robert Chalmers 2012/07/04 03:50:12
    Robert Chalmers
    +1
    How's that living back at home with your Parents thing working out for you????? Got a job yet? Obama's 8.0 unemployment promise never saw the light of day during his current term.
    The koolaid must be sour by now eh?
  • harley oldman 2012/06/18 13:52:35
    Other Thoughts!
    harley oldman
    +1
    WHY NOT.....This would be the onliest legal thing about this fake prick...!
  • ruthannhausman 2012/06/16 23:39:02
    Other Thoughts!
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Nothing would surprise me. He's going to come out with whatever will sway the largest number of voters who are bent on a particular issue and will overlook all the other problems with this Obama administration just to win on that one point. Not too brilliant, mind you, but it happens.
  • texasred 2012/06/16 19:44:43
    texasred
    +1
    He thinks he'll get both the young vote and the Ron Paul supporters that support legalizing marijuana. I don't have a problem with legalizing pot, but he could give me a million dollars and I wouldn't vote for that Marxist scum.
  • Michaelene 2012/06/15 15:03:01
    Michaelene
    +2
    Obama can really use it right now, he needs a smoke so bad.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/06/15 14:12:59
    SK-pro impeachment
    +2
    The Tonight Show With Jay Leno
    The White House softball team played the pro-marijuana lobbyists' team and lost 25-3. Still no word yet on which side President Obama played for.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/06/15 11:25:04
    C. C. Rider
    Let's face it , the only ones who really abuse drugs are most of the cons. They do not want to give up their drug of choice and see it legalized for medicine. I mean come on, doing the right thing is just not how cons roll. Besides, it would interfere with the cons income while on welfare and disibility.

Let's remove the income of most of the cons they make off pot and legalize it!!.
    And really a SMART PRESIDENT would take this and turn it into jobs and taxes for his country.

usues for hemp
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/15 07:57:49
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    He can't run on his record, so why not?
  • Murph 65 2012/06/14 23:55:03
    Other Thoughts!
    Murph 65
    +2
    I do not care what the October surprise is as long as it comes. I would prefer, however, that there be a June, July, August, and September surprise as well. I wouldn't be unhappy if by the time October got here we were all surprised out and the outcome of the election was known - Obama out, Romney in. Works for me.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/06/14 21:08:33
    Other Thoughts!
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +2
    It's not a federal issue and he should mind his own business.........he certainly isn't taking care of OUR business!
  • President Camacho 2012/06/14 17:56:04
    Other Thoughts!
    President Camacho
    +1
    It weakens big government control
  • MadAsHEck 2012/06/14 17:34:48
    Other Thoughts!
    MadAsHEck
    +2
    Thats one of the major platforms Ron Paul was running on, and the young people flocked to his side.

So that would probably get him a lot of votes. Add to that the Gay Marriage support, and more freedom for the LGBT community, gets him the perverted vote.

Then the support of Welfare, and forgiveness of debt for all, and you give him more votes from the freeloaders of our society. Add in the illegals he wants toi give amnesty, and I fear you have another 4 years of Obama.
  • frank 2012/06/14 17:13:31
    frank
    +2
    He will do anything to get reelected, legal or illegal.
  • ReconMarine~PWCM*AVA*BTTB*JLA* 2012/06/14 16:57:08
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2012/06/14 16:46:57 (edited)
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    Isn't IT kinda like the equivalent of

rave whores
  • RastaFan 2012/06/14 16:40:28
    Other Thoughts!
    RastaFan
    +3
    You know, at first I thought, "Nobody could be that stupid."

After reconsidering though, I think this numby may think that would be a really cool, impressive move and he'd think like, "The whole country would know I'm Hip ..... I'm the Hip Pres .... let's git down wit Obi."

He's THAT much of a gumball.
  • Stix 2012/06/14 16:35:42
    Stix
    +3
    Absolutly nothing is beneath this man...
  • Max 2012/06/14 16:17:17
    Other Thoughts!
    Max
    +5
    There can't be that many potheads in the US to make it worth his while. Is there?
  • RastaFan Max 2012/06/14 16:42:37
    RastaFan
    +4
    No, there isn't Max, but that may not factor in a narcissist's head.
  • ReconMa... Max 2012/06/14 17:00:54 (edited)
  • freebirdie ReconMa... 2012/06/14 18:53:21
    freebirdie
    +2
    That would explain why they vote democrats in like Pelosi, Boxer, Brown, Feinstein, etc.
  • ReconMa... freebirdie 2012/06/14 19:21:08
  • Kane Fernau 2012/06/14 15:31:50
    Kane Fernau
    +3
    There still are not enough dope smokers to put Obama over the top.
  • Gothpirate 2012/06/14 15:29:14
    Gothpirate
    +3
    I just honestly don't see Obama legalizing weed he would lose any far right liberals and lose the chance to gain any far left conservatives
  • ReconMa... Gothpirate 2012/06/14 17:03:20
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/06/14 15:23:16
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    I could see him calling for the legalisation of weed simply because the majority of voters seem to think it should be legal. If he doesn't call for legalisation, I'd imagine it's out of fear of alienating more conservative voters, since I can't think of any reason he would be against this sort of thing.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/06/14 15:14:18
  • Kane Fe... whitewu... 2012/06/14 15:32:55
    Kane Fernau
    +3
    It makes him a jolly good fellow.
  • ReconMa... Kane Fe... 2012/06/14 17:04:44
  • Kane Fe... ReconMa... 2012/06/14 17:54:47 (edited)
  • ReconMa... Kane Fe... 2012/06/14 19:22:57
  • RastaFan whitewu... 2012/06/14 16:55:10
    RastaFan
    +3
    Ah,ha,ha ! ... it just get's better and better as his administration rolls along.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 15:10:43
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    He needs a major distraction because he certainly can't run on his achievements with the economy. The gay marriage issue and the "war on women" were trial balloons to see if distractions helped with poll numbers. They certainly don't hurt.

Many conservatives disagree with me, but I think legalizing marijuana is a good idea. High school kids are already using more pot than alcohol because it's easier to obtain. Nothing would hurt the drug dealers more than the Walmart supply chain. Replacing massive law-enforcement cost with tax revenue is one of the few things Obama can do to reduce the deficit. I'm not sure if legalizing pot will create jobs, but the only jobs we might lose are government jobs -- and they weren't producing economic value anyway.

I'm not interested in using the product myself, but attempts to restrict marijuana have not fared any better than Prohibition. It costs a lot of money to ban marijuana, and we can't afford it. Cigarettes are addictive but somehow legal. Of course, a cigarette ban would be futile. The government is addicted to the tax revenue as much as smokers are to nicotine. Marijuana is not physically addictive, and yet it's banned anyway.

Socialists like to spend "other people's money". This is a potentially a huge pile of money, ...

Socialists like to spend "other people's money". This is a potentially a huge pile of money, and for once it's not at my expense. If there is one new tax that most people will agree on, this is the one.

Despite all of this, I think Obama is bluffing. Legalizing marijuana is a nifty campaign promise. But nothing changes the fact he is the INCUMBENT and could move forward with this during his current term if he was truly serious about it. He's not, which is why there will be no mention of it until it becomes a talking point for the campaign. Like so many other campaign promises, when Obama fails to deliver he will find someone to blame.

As with any "new" idea that Obama might promote during the campaign, the question is, "Why do you need a SECOND term to do this when you passed up the opportunity to get it done in your FIRST term?"
  • RageFury V~POTL~... 2012/06/14 15:30:01
    RageFury
    +2
    Excellent thoughts.
  • Flowers 2012/06/14 15:09:25
    Flowers
    +4
    Because he did several times over the course of his SHORT time as a senator and on his climb to the top.... AND LIED

“The war on drugs has been an utter failure. (W)e need to rethink and decriminalize our (nation’s) marijuana laws.”-Barack Obama, January 2004
  • Stevern... Lady Wh... 2012/06/14 17:20:32
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    The source article is from the Atlantic Wire.Hardly a right-wing media source.!

This is a political speculation article.If it's wrong,nobody remembers it.But if they're correct,the website & writer comes off as political geniuses!
  • ~Adrien~ 2012/06/14 14:40:27
    ~Adrien~
    +4
    He would call for it, to try to get all the potheads to vote for him. . . Maybe he figures those who are stoned out of their mind won't care that he's a liar. . .
    +5
    The burn brains already vote for him

2014/11/24 12:22:56