Could Ron Paul win the GOP nomination after all?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/04/29 00:43:58

On Thursday evening, Ron Paul stunned the media again: he won most of the delegate votes in Washington State. IB Times tells how significant this is:

Washington is now the third state, after Iowa and Minnesota, in which Ron Paul
has locked up at least half of the state’s nominating delegates. In
order to be officially entered in nomination at the Tampa, Fla.,
convention, he needs to secure half or more of the delegates in five
states, and as of Thursday, he looks poised to grab a majority of
delegates in other states like North Dakota and Maine in coming weeks.

Rob Richie and Elise Helgesen, at Politico.com, said
as far back as November 25 of last year that the Republicans might not
nominate a candidate in one ballot. They discussed whether the rules
let States move their primaries up. But those same rules made the
primaries largely non-binding. And Rule 40, paragraph b, clearly says
how many State majorities a candidate needs to be on the ballot:

Each candidate for nomination for President of the United
States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the
support of a plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more
states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that
candidate for nomination.

Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich have both suspended their campaigns.
They have done this so that they can raise money to pay off their
staggering campaign debts. But neither man has released any delegates actually bound to him. Furthermore, Ron Paul has taken delegate slots that Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich might have gotten. And unlike Gingrich and Santorum, Ron Paul is not in debt. He has two million dollars in cash on hand.

Historical precedent

In 1920, Warren G. Harding came to the Republican National Convention
with six percent of the delegates, less than any other candidate. Ten
ballots later, the convention nominated him with 70 percent of the vote. He went on to defeat Democrat James Cox in a landslide.

Ron Paul hopes to do today what Warren Harding did 92 years ago. And
he will start with a higher proportion of delegates than Harding had.

See also this video of Ron Paul as a guest host on CNBC.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/04/28...

+21
    The primaries are not binding. Mitt has been counting his chickens before they are hatched, and so have most people in the media. But two days ago, Fox News admitted that Ron Paul will be there, at the convention, and will have someone place his name in nomination. (Unless he trades that away, and he'd have to get a real ironclad concession out of Romney before he would do any such thing.)

No guarantees, but after all, if Warren G. Harding could do it, why couldn't Ron Paul?

Then it will be up to him.

• Technotrucker_exposingthetruth 2012/05/27 09:57:48
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +2
    Yessiree bob! You betcha he can. All those sheep been falling for the LSM propaganda, correction, LIES, about the delegate count to promote their appointed GOP shill. The fact is, Romney may not have anywhere near the delegates being reported. Since none of them are obligated, some of them might wake up and vote for Paul on the first ballot!
    If we could get that fair and balanced FOX news to report on the Herzog arrest tying Romney and Jeb Bush to banking fraud and voter tampering and campaign fraud, Romney wouldn't even be a consideration come Tampa. Ron Paul would be the only one left standing! Make it so!
    make it so
  • DeeB 2012/05/26 13:03:56
    DeeB
    +4
    The GOP has committed voter fraud throughout this country because only the braindead that listen to the government media will even vote for him, a lot of them right here on SH. Ron Paul would take that nomination if the NWO wasn't in his way and doing everything they can to stop him. If he were to take it, they will probably kill him like they did Kennedy. He wants to end the FED and the Fed is not going to let him, wake the hell up and see the big picture. Take them all down by standing behing this gift of a man. RON PAUL, all the way.
  • stormy rae 2012/05/26 04:13:57
    stormy rae
    +4
    you know where I am going to be come August, I want to attend the GOP RNC convention, I think they did us a favor by playing shenanigans, and now the ball is in our court, we just need to keep people informed that he is still in the race
  • nverumind 2012/05/26 04:09:07
    nverumind
    +6
    Its not over till its over.
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2012/05/26 03:51:25
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +6
    Of course, without a doubt. Here it is May 25th. The date of this poll is April 28th. I'm sure by now many of you who have allowed the corrupt mainstream media to do your thinking for you, are reconsidering.
  • DDogbreath 2012/05/26 03:30:38
    DDogbreath
    +6
    He will kick Romney's ass.

Liberty  Truth  Ron Paul
    +2
    What Ron Paul and his supporters are doing is highly divisive and can only hurt Republican chances here in the Fall. Here in Idaho, the Paul supporters wanted a caucus rather than a primary - they got their way and Romney got 62% of the vote on the first ballot, Paul was in the teens. Yet they are planning on "packing" the Idaho Republican convention and picking all of the delegates. If Romney doesn't win on the first ballot, e.g. if he doesn't will enough delegates before the convention, they feel they will then be free to vote for Ron Paul. This is an exercise in insanity for anyone who truly wants the Marxist out of the White House come next January.
  • Temlako... Ken 2012/05/10 01:54:18
    +3
    Thanks for the info.
  • Arizona... Ken 2012/05/10 05:11:17
    Arizona1950
    +6
    Hmmm ...

• Ken Arizona... 2012/05/10 23:50:28
    +2
    Whatever! The fact remains that what Ron Paul and his supporters are doing, attempting to "hijack" delegations from various states where Ron Paul lost, is not only anti-democratic, it could cost the Republicans the election in November with its divisiveness.

Inasmuch as I have coffee every Thursday with former chairmen of the Republican Party in Idaho I can personally vouch for the fact that they are extremely angry with the Idaho "Paulies" for the stunt they are attempting. The Paul supporters wanted a caucus instead of a primary, and they got it - but Ron Paul got his butt kicked by Romney, by over 5 to 1, and now they are attempting to reverse the outcome of the popular vote. Are you actually proud of that?
  • Arizona... Ken 2012/05/11 03:40:56 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +7
    The fact is that RP has followed to the letter the RNC rules. The fact is there are more willing to stand up for our Constitution, Liberty, God and Country than those who think bending their knees to more socialistic mandates and direction is a good thing for this country. The fact is Romney thought he was the new golden idol and America wouldn't mind overlooking his similarities to the Obama and the media bias. The fact is RP has won the majority of delegates in 11 states. The fact is you haven't a clue ...
  • Ken Arizona... 2012/05/11 04:38:10
    +1
    The fact is that Ron Paul has only 104 delegates to Romney’s 966, and no chance to win the nomination, and another fact is you are the one who has no clue.

I'll ask the question again since you failed to answer it - are you proud of the fact that Ron Paul and his supporters are attempting, at least here in Idaho, to reverse the outcome of the caucuses they asked for by packing the state Republican convention? Have you adopted the "Rules for Radicals" idea that Obama works by, "the ends justify the means?" It would seem so.
  • Arizona... Ken 2012/05/11 05:00:43 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +6
    Hmmm ... I guess we will find out come Aug. in Tampa as I have heard that Romney has less than 500 and Paul may even exceed what Romney does have when all is said and done.

You don't understand the difference between caucus and delegates if you think he is trying to "reverse" the outcome. Maybe try reading the RNC rules ... Paul follows them to the letter while Romney is openly cheating and trying to stop Paul supporters to vote at all as they did in Maine.

• Ken Arizona... 2012/05/11 05:02:07 (edited)
    So that's what you "have heard!" Who told you, the Tooth Fairy?

I've told you for a fact what is happening here in Idaho from first hand knowledge. The Paul supporters wanted caucuses rather than a primary, and got their way. At the Ada County (Boise) caucus there were over 8,500 votes cast (the largest caucus in history!) and Romney got 61.6% while Ron Paul got 18.1%.

Those results, over 50% on the first ballot, gave Romney 100% of Idaho's delegates. Now the news is that the Paul supporters are going to try and pack the state Republican convention and send their own delegates to Tampa, who will only be bound to vote for Romney on the first ballot.

I was at coffee this morning with a former chairman of the Idaho state Republican party and the former chairman of the Ada County Republican Party, and both were concerned with the divisiveness of the tactics of the Paul supporters.

That sounds exactly like the kind of tactics Obama and the left-wing radicals who follow Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" would employ!
  • Arizona... Ken 2012/05/11 05:11:09
    Arizona1950
    +6
    Didn't listen to the video did you. None so blind as those who will not see or so deaf as those who refuse to hear. The 1st video above answers some of it ... the 2nd answers more ... shall we go for a 3rd?

• William Arizona... 2012/05/16 18:52:02 (edited)
    William
    +4
    The media has made this whole thing so-o-o-o confusing. There are still 24 Republican state conventions and 10 primaries yet to take place and Mitt Romney is the presumptive winner????

source: http://www.thegreenpapers.com...
  • Arizona... William 2012/05/17 03:52:57
    Arizona1950
    +4
    If voter preferences are such that the median senator is a socialist, the median representative is unlikely to be a libertarian.

“One of the great tragedies of human history is the difficulty of escaping from tyranny, since tyrants so ruthlessly maintain their power.”

For those who continue to support the status quo, they send a clear message to Washington that our Constitution, it’s Laws, and the value of liberty just doesn’t matter and in return they send another wannabe liar-in-chief for the 2012 election.

We didn't learn about it until the Maine caucus but we certainly have seen more evidence of it since. The GOP has been ignoring RNC rules, the are vetting delegates after the deadline, Romney followers have been stuffing ballot boxes to give Romney the projected lead.

This is what we get when we pick one evil over another ... just another flip-flopping liar in chief. When one stands for nothing ... they will fall for anything. And the DEM/GOP Progressive Party has got the average American's number ... dumbing down America is working.
  • Temlako... Ken 2012/05/11 12:06:28
    +4
    Come on, you two. This is getting us nowhere.

I, for one, haven't just *heard* that Mitt Romney is trying to rewrite the rules, after he perhaps thought he understood them, but didn't. I have read the threatening letter that the RNC lead counsel sent to the Nevada GOP chairman: "Let Mitt Romney vet delegates, or else!" The Nevada GOP chose "else."

And I hate to air dirty laundry in public, but after all, this dirty laundry has been out there for awhile. The Idaho Republican Party, pre-Paul, is the same Idaho Republican Party who sent someone to Washington who disgraced himself sexually.

Nor does such disgrace limit itself to homosexuals (like former Senator Craig). Speaker John Boehner, I am given to understand, has girlfriends all over Washington. Eric Holder knows who every one of them are. And he has threatened to use that information if the Speaker does anything on the natural-born citizen question *or* on Operation Fast and Furious. If you hear of sex scandals breaking out in the next several days over that contempt citation, or if the Congressional contempt citation quietly dies for lack of seconds or votes, I hope you will both remember who predicted that one or the other thing would happen.

Before you ask: I was always the class Geek, Nerd, Grind (and not "Bump And"), Weir...

Before you ask: I was always the class Geek, Nerd, Grind (and not "Bump And"), Weirdest, and Square. Go ahead: look up my high school yearbook, and you'll see: "Grind, Weirdest, and Most Unforgettable." I'd be the guy that the doxies loved to hate, because they wouldn't get any of my business. (If anyone of them tried to proposition me, I would hand them a Jack Chick Tract.) I'm blessed that I can at least list my relationship status on SH as "Widowed" rather than "Single" at my age.

I would more likely be a target of blood-and-lead assassination than of blackmail, did I become a Senator or Representative. I would sleep on a fold-away sofa bed in my office during the week, and take the Amtrak Acela home for every weekend from Union Station, an easy walk from the Hill. Just so I could go to my favorite church. (Or maybe I'd save up and get a Terrafugia Transition and fly that back and forth.)

Why can't we elect that kind of person to Congress?

And maybe the folks in Humble, Texas did.
  • Ken Temlako... 2012/05/12 00:06:13
    +1
    Why bring up the Larry Craig incident? It wasn't the "Idaho Republican Party" who sent him to Washington, it was the Idaho voters. Also, Larry Craig was an excellent senator, and who was to know that he had those tendencies. Consider this, if he had been a Democrat they would have been applauding him.

It isn't Romney who is rewriting the rules, it's the Paul supporters who are attempting to go around them. Deny Romney the nomination on the first ballot, even though he has an overwhelming lead on Paul, and they hope for a "brokered convention", still giving Ron Paul a shot. That shot is somewhere between slim and none but the they don't give a damn about the damage they might do to the Republicans in November.
  • William Ken 2012/05/21 00:53:09
    William
    +4
    If I said that winning the nomination by collecting delegates rather than votes at a poll was according to the rules. You wouldn't believe me anyway. You would rather have a candidate that supports mandated health care, World War III with China, Russia and the Middle East by going after Iran, doubling the debt, inflating the currency to destroy the middle class, indefinitely detaining Americans for "suspected associations" with "terrorist groups", invading our privacy, censoring the Internet and allowing powerful corporations to control our foreign policy. And this time I'm not talking about Obama--but I just as well could have.

Mitt Romney is not the lesser of two evils. He is equally as evil as BO, maybe more if blood thirsty Rubio is his vice.
  • Ken William 2012/05/21 04:36:38
  • William William 2012/05/21 04:47:15 (edited)
    William
    +1
    Hey Ken! I remember when I had my first beer! ;)
  • DDogbreath Arizona... 2012/05/26 03:34:00
    DDogbreath
    +5
    Please tell the "cowardly blocker" this for me.

• Arizona... DDogbreath 2012/05/26 03:36:55
    Arizona1950
    +4
    He doesn't want the truth DD ... he likes being a sheeple.
  • DDogbreath Arizona... 2012/05/26 03:45:24
    DDogbreath
    +4
    Yea I see he still has a "thing" for the "tooth fairy" and supports a blatant "draft dodger liberal".

yea tooth fairy supports blatant draft dodger liberal
  • Arizona... DDogbreath 2012/05/26 14:12:42
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Romney is much, much more that a draft dodger ... he will be Obama on steroids.
  • DDogbreath Arizona... 2012/05/26 16:32:26
  • Arizona... DDogbreath 2012/05/26 17:27:28
    Arizona1950
    +2
    I agree ... and there are seems to be little doubt that here on SH there are Obamanuts posing as Conservatives leading the packs of so-called conservatives right into re-electing Obama because they keep the mantra alive of ABO and will not recognize they do have a choice of another more viable Republican candidate.
  • stormy rae Ken 2012/05/26 04:25:48
  • Ken stormy rae 2012/05/26 22:06:40
    +1
    I know for certain that here in very conservative, very Republican Idaho, Romney kicked Paul's butt, big-time, and I know it was on the up-and-up because I know the people who ran the caucus. The only ones who attempted to cheat were Ron Paul voters, who were caught in the act of attempting to submit two votes. That's a fact, as opposed to the "shovel-ready" B.S. you are spreading. The Ron Paul contingency is still trying to steal the Idaho delegates, illegally, even after he lost the caucus.
  • stormy rae Ken 2012/05/26 04:21:14
    stormy rae
    +3
    no what will happen is the GOP will realize that all along Ron Paul was the real frontrunner, they will realize that Paul is the only one that can beat Obama, and they will nominate him, you do realize the troops are marching on the RNC, both active duty and vets, and I dont know if you realize they donated to him 3x more than the other candidates combined, not to mention the march on the White House on Presidents Day this year, for Ron Paul, against BHO, and the RNC is now trying to make Mass delegates sign a binding statement, but no delegate is bound to vote for Romney unless they so choose to vote for him, not even in the first round, look up rule 38 of the RNC, and tell me that Ron Paul cannot get the delegates that were going to vote for Romney, simply because they thought they had to. Look it up. I promise you as long as Obama does not pull a trick out of the hat between now and August Convention, Obama will lose the election to Ron Paul
  • Ken stormy rae 2012/05/26 22:17:34
    Dream on! Ron Paul has not only lost, he came in DEAD LAST! With the Texas primary next week and 155 delegates up for grabs in a proportional primary, Romney leads Gingrich and Paul is last again, in his home state, in all of the polls. Romney will go over 1144 delegates next week and be the official Republican nominee.

"Republican Delegate Tally

Delegate totals are from The Associated Press, and include the preferences of superdelegates, Republican party leaders who are free to support any candidate.
    Last Updated: 5:18 PM ET

Mitt Romney 1084
    Rick Santorum 253
    Newt Gingrich 131
    Ron Paul 119
    1144 delegates needed to win nomination."
  • Freeranger 2012/05/09 21:57:03
    Freeranger
    Keep blowing in to the paper bag...
  • William 2012/05/01 03:24:18
    William
    +5
    Those who've been in the caucuses know that his support among delegates is strong. Romney might not have the 1144 delegate votes to win on the first vote which would result in a brokered convention. If it ends up being a brokered convention, Paul can win because on the second vote, all delegates are "released" and can vote their intellect. In states that are "Winner take all", Paul will make significant gains.

Ron Paul just won Minnesota and Iowa. And as the caucuses wrap up he is expected to gather more.

It's also important to realize that their are a number of states that have yet to hold or finish their primaries or caucuses. I think it's 16 or so. Ron Paul is very popular in California.
  • Arizona... William 2012/05/10 05:12:03
    Arizona1950
    +6
    This should be music to the ears ... :-)

• William Arizona... 2012/05/13 02:07:35
    William
    +2
    Thanks for that. Just had the continuance of our county convention. Not nearly as uplifting. But the encouragement is appreciated. ;)
  • Arizona... William 2012/05/13 12:08:50
    Arizona1950
    +4
    Will this help even more?

• William Arizona... 2012/05/14 16:42:15
    William
    +2
    I saw this one. Thanks. Also the victory in Oklahoma was encouraging.
  • Temlako... William 2012/05/14 21:35:59
  • Cat 1017 2012/04/30 23:28:14
    Cat 1017
    +1
    He's against wars...But the old man is a shrewd underhanded cookie.....Not likely...

2014/10/30 15:17:14