Could 'Boot Camp' Benefit Drug Addicts More Than Rehab?

Drug addiction is a painful thing to watch, but sometimes it can be just as painful to watch an addict recover, whether it's from potentially torturous physical dependencies or deeply rooted psychological dependency.

That's why some families are going to extremes to wrest their loved ones from the grip of addiction when rehab just doesn't seem to be working.

Dr. David Moore, licensed psychologist and chemical dependency professional, and Bill Manville, author of "Cool, Hip & Sober," published a joint discussion of what Moore calls "no-frills addiction recovery boot camps."

These drug addiction boot camps, such as Healing Places in the U.S. and Yevgeny Roizman's Russian Boot Camp recovery model, put drug addicts through cold-turkey recovery programs more akin to homeless shelters.

According to Manville, at the Russian camps "they just lock them up, caged together on double-decker beds. They can cry all they want that their mother didn't love them but that doesn't stop the agonies of withdrawal working their way through their system—and when it does, they're clean."

But it does have its benefits. In addition to theoretically powering addicts through the initial withdrawal phase, boot camp treatment cost significantly less.

They estimate that a boot camp like Healing Place will run addicts around $25 a day, compared to $650 a day for those "plush rehabs" Charlie Sheen has had so much success at.

• Ceo Twentyfourseven 2011/09/12 16:33:29
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    +11
    Any sort of addiction requires an understanding of the contributing issues and a resolve on the part of the addict to work through these issues and get free.
    Rehab counseling can guide the addict to an overall understanding, but they still gotta resolve to get free and be free.
    Bootcamp sounds like some tear them down, build them back up approach to discovering the underlying issues and developing the strength of resolve to get free and be free.
    Hmmm....
    Rehab provides the guidance to understanding; bootcamp builds the required resolve.
    Combine the two, and THEN you'll have a PROGRAM goin'.
    'Cause, it really doesn't make any f@ckin' sense to lock these people up.
    Send them to a rehabilitative boot camp.

• John Lucas 2013/01/14 18:18:37
  • Michael Boyle 2012/04/03 14:47:21
    Michael Boyle
    Drug addiction is like any other addiction, sex, food, alcohol, it is the need to fill your life with something that fills the void by what you are missing. My mother didnt love me, daddy wasnt home....It is getting caught up in the story instead of the cure. It is too easy to take that hit or that pill rather than pulling yourself up by the boot laces and soldiering through life. Boot camp teaches you that, it lets you depend on YOU, not the drug, not the excuses of the past, it is YOU. If your screw up the YOU screwed up...not mommy not daddy not anyone...you.

PS. To the "Dad" who would be a proud parent until their kids became addicts then would hope they would go into the night.... I pray for their sake that they never let you down, because then they will have a lifetime of "I was never good enough" from their once Proud Parent. So I guess you are only a Dad when they are good, you are only proud when they are good, you are only proud when they do what you DEEM as the right choice? Good luck with that... I feel sorry and will pray for your children.....because that is an impossible standard
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/04 02:00:51
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    During bootcamp they have no time to think of things other than getting scheduled chores done before sleeping. They have no time literally think about it so i dont see how it can hurt them if a doctor ok's it.
  • Willie 2011/09/21 04:08:46
    Willie
    Considering the 95% failure rate of 12-step based rehabs, I can't see how trying something different could hurt. I would advocate for a medically supervised detox for several days before the boot camp starts, but after that, please, let's start looking at options other than the bogus 12-step method.
  • The Nixus 2011/09/14 16:07:42
    The Nixus
    But only if they volenteer, If I had a drug or drink issue I would gladly be asked to be locked away and looked after so that I could get back into shape or this could be punishment for not paying bills as they spend too much money on drugs, could see some of them changing around and becomming balanced again
  • Johnny H 2011/09/14 15:55:12
    Johnny H
    Could it? For certain people, perhaps. But I can't say that it would be "better" than regular rehab on a consistent basis.
  • crossboy56 2011/09/14 15:43:46
    crossboy56
    It all depends on the addicts
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/09/14 14:37:17
  • John Storz 2011/09/14 14:08:02
    John Storz
    Drug addicts should just be left to OD as quickly as possible
  • JCD aka... John Storz 2011/09/14 18:06:34
    JCD aka "biz"
    Especially if they are your kids, you "Proud Parent"!
  • John Storz JCD aka... 2011/09/14 23:43:07
    John Storz
    Since so far, thankfully, my children haven't been the sort of losers that have become drug addicts, I AM a proud parent. If someday they ever do become addicts then I'll change my status to just "parent" and hope they either find the will power to clean themselves up before they hit rock bottom, or have the decency to go quietly into that good night before they do too much harm to those around them.And I certainly won't be one of those loser "enabler" parents who allow themselves to be lied to or stolen from.
  • jack 2011/09/14 13:59:30
    jack
    Personally, I think it will teach them discipline, self respect and self control.
  • cheshirewayne 2011/09/14 13:37:39
    cheshirewayne
    When I quit smoking, I went to the gym, it seemed to stop the cravings.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2011/09/14 13:28:47
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    People who voted "yes" obviously don't know anything about Drugs and their effect on the human mind, this isn't "Maury" just HOW are you going to get an addict to cooperate with exorcise and crap when they are suffering through WITHDRAWAL aw well, no the thing that will HELP them is TREATMENT!
  • Willie C-ZAR™,... 2011/09/21 04:07:05
    Willie
    +1
    Other than a medically supervised detox, there is no real treatment for alcoholism or drug addiction. Most so-called "rehabs" are just a bunch of proselytizing by 12-step psychologist wannabes. It's a "spiritual" approach, which means faith healing, which is the equivalent of voodoo or witch doctoring. 12-step based rehabs have a 95% failure rate. 95%. It's a racket. ANYTHING else is worth a try.
  • C-ZAR™,... Willie 2011/09/21 13:41:03
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    Even IF a person goes through medically supervised detox, there is STILL the chance they can relapse, it's a crap shoot, Rehab's ARE real treatment, I have a relative who's a drug addiction specialist, they can get you clean, but the addict has to WANT to STAY CLEAN!
    Because other than that, they do have a chance of relapsing, it's all about the support system surrounding that person too, if a person finds themselves in the same drug-infested environments as before, chances are they'll use again, that's why they have recovery houses to help the addict in their addiction, yes it's hard and the success rate is low, but for the ones that DO make it, they have to decide that this is something they WANT
  • Willie C-ZAR™,... 2011/09/26 05:45:31
    Willie
    No, you're wrong. If rehab works, it's just chance. Just over 5% of drug addicts and alcoholics will stop using spontaneously, without any treatment. Just UNDER 5% of those who go to 12-step based rehab will stop using. It doesn't work. Your relative is working in a sham industry. Anyone who wants to stay clean can and will stay clean, with or without treatment. A real treatment would work on someone whether they wanted it or not. 12-step rehabs are charlatans who stand in the way of real progress in the treatment of addiction. I've done long and careful study of the treatment of addiction, and I've learned quite a bit. I've been clean 21 years myself, too, and no steps are involved.
  • C-ZAR™,... Willie 2011/09/26 13:11:03
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    well, to each his own because I have another relative who quit heroin cold turkey, and did not use 12 steps, but that was sheer willpower, some folks dont have that willpower and need a little assistance, that's where rehab comes in, whatever works for YOU I guess..
  • Willie C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/02 04:15:08
    Willie
    +1
    Rehab only works (when it works) by willpower. Some folks ascribe it to the work of God, a miracle, if you will. I don't believe in God, and even if I did, I wouldn't think God would be saving 5% of the junkies (and letting the rest die). Those for whom it works would have been able to quit on their own, I think. Or quit with a minimal amount of support. Paying for a rehab, though, is about as useful as burning your money and praying to the smoke.
  • Josh Robinson R.P.2012' PWCM. 2011/09/14 13:21:47
    Josh Robinson  R.P.2012' PWCM.
    Crack heads still get crack in prison...! http://www.choosehelp.com/soc...
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2011/09/14 11:45:02
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    To be it seems counter productive.
  • Tigger Too 2011/09/14 11:17:48
    Tigger Too
    This is yet ANOTHER survey that didn't offer a selection for UNDECIDED. ANY kind of physical activity is helpful in treating both substance abusers and/or the mentally ill. Research has shown that "Exercise, of any kind, will have a positive effect on all four neurochemicals -- Epinephrine, Dopamine, Serotonin and Endorphin." Therefore, sending alcoholics and/or drug addicts to boot camp, which requires almost constant physical exertion, should be successful. When weighing the effectiveness of boot camps vs. rehab, why couldn't a treatment program provide BOTH of these alternatives to treat addiction? Wouldn't combining hard physical exercise for part of the day, intermixed with the implementation of a twelve-step program study, be even more helpful for weaning people off of drugs and alcohol?

I'd be quite leery of any type of boot camp or rehab program that makes participants go through their withdrawal cold-turkey, with no medical help at all. Withdrawal, especially from substances that are physically addictive [such as heroin and other opioids, and alcohol], can be extremely dangerous. I think that weaning people off of their drug of choice is a more responsible way to sober up those people.

The results of sending substance abusers to boot camp for treatment certainly cou...

The results of sending substance abusers to boot camp for treatment certainly couldn't be less successful than going to rehab. The boot camp alternative is much more cost-efficient than paying for in-house, long-term rehab. As my grandma used to say, "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop," and that's true. As a tigger who was once considered a hopeless alcoholic and drug addict, I've had plenty of experience in this regard. Addiction is a full-time job, and stopping the abuse leaves a giant hole in one's daily life. Unless a person has something more constructive and productive to take up their time and fill that void, then their life will still be empty and rife for returning to substance abuse. Still, I don't know why a boot camp atmosphere AND a rehab-type program can't be used in tandem to treat people who are alcoholics and drug addicts. It shouldn't be a matter of either/or, but BOTH.
  • Travis B. 2011/09/14 09:21:08
    Travis B.
    A person will quit using drugs if and when they want to. I have been on a lot of stuff and there is no end in sight because I don't wanna stop. The word addiction is a scapegoat and an excuse. They say I cant stop because I am addicted but in reality they don't want to quit. Look at what Mc Donnalds and fast food does to people. It is giving them all kinds of serious health problems. They won't quit eating so many cheeseburgers because they don't want to !
  • Josh Ro... Travis B. 2011/09/14 13:23:42
    Josh Robinson  R.P.2012' PWCM.
    What about the people crying as they shoot up or woof down cheeseburgers...? Are those tears of joy?
  • Travis B. Josh Ro... 2011/09/14 19:44:09
    Travis B.
    Only seem it on t.v. . I used to be an I.V. user.
  • SonofSpermcube 2011/09/14 08:11:21
    SonofSpermcube
    I've only known one meth addict who stayed clean longer than 6 months. The only difference between him and the others: He moved, and changed his phone number...twice.
  • Wizard 2011/09/14 06:42:34
    Wizard
    +1
    It couldn't hurt to get them cold sober.
  • Vendetta 2011/09/14 06:10:39
    Vendetta
    +1
    As some people have commented below, if the addict has not decided on their own to stop, they'll just revert. Therapeutic schools and camps work with the whole family, because many MANY of these young people come from dysfunctional families whose parents are either indifferent, addicts themselves or have been outright paying for their kids drugs and doing them with them. After boot cam, do they just go home to the same situation? This seems just another brutal attempt at solving social problems with a kick in the teeth rather than taking accountability for what caused the drug addiction in the first place.
  • sockpuppet 2011/09/14 05:45:02
    sockpuppet
    +1
    You can't *force* anyone straight. It's not a matter of withholding alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc. -- there's a part of the person that HAS to change, and you can't
    do that for them.
  • Cthulhu 2011/09/14 05:06:39
    Cthulhu
    +2
    Heck, boot camp might do all of us some good. Make it mandatory. =)
  • Lolaita 2011/09/14 03:40:24 (edited)
  • ★misfit★ 2011/09/14 03:11:33
    ★misfit★
    +1
    It might be just as good as rehab, but I don't see how it would work any better. Either way, it's the addict's choice whether or not they really want to change or will go right back to drugs after they get out.
  • clasact 2011/09/14 02:17:41
    clasact
    +2
    IMO rehab is a joke for the rich to say hey look im trying ,give me a break
  • sockpuppet clasact 2011/09/14 05:47:26
    sockpuppet
    +1
    And getting straight requires a lifetime of hellishly hard work...
    not just 2 months of tennis and methadone.
  • clasact sockpuppet 2011/09/14 22:56:50
    clasact
    +1
    100% agreement here
  • carlton999 2011/09/14 00:56:48
    carlton999
    +2
    it might be able to, but you should ask someone in recovery to get an intelligent answer.
  • The River Rat 2011/09/14 00:53:07
    The River Rat
    +2
    I think it could be very helpful. Help them clean their body.
  • SpeedDemon BN-0 2011/09/14 00:35:46
    SpeedDemon BN-0
    +1
    Not any more than it would benefit cancer patients trying to become cancer free. Cold turkey programs?? Jail is also cold turkey, and they are out smoking crack the moment they are released. Addictions need to be treated properly. A hard core boot camp is no better than locking a junkie up in jail. They'll be right back at it when they are released. They need drug rehab centers. Jail costs 50,000 dollars a year per inmate. Rehab centres are about 17,000 dollars per person a year. Do the math.

2014/10/23 02:23:58