Cop boots pregnant woman in stomach; Dept. says it's fine. Is it? Should the cop be fired?

"Abe" 2012/05/15 02:38:21
no

A rogue cop from the DeKalb County Police Department in the state of Georgia is in the news for the third time in only seven months. Officer Jerad Wheeler is now being investigated after kicking a pregnant woman in the stomach.

No charges have been filed against Officer Wheeler for kicking Raven Dozier in the abdomen after the cop responded to a call involving a child custody issue, reports local television station WSBTV News. Dozier says she was trying to calm her brother down during police questioning after a police officer used a Taser gun on her sibling. After her brother was shot, Ms. Dozier says she started crying and questioning the officer over his actions. That’s when Wheeler is reported to have gotten violent.

"I think he really just didn't want me asking him any questions, questioning him, and when I did question him is when he kicked me," Dozier tells the station.

Ms. Dozier was just shy of nine months pregnant during the incident. She underwent an emergency c-section procedure two weeks after and gave birth to a healthy baby boy, Levii. Now more than four months after being assaulted by the officer, Dozier is still demanding justice.

According to the Dekalb County Police Department, Officer Wheeler was in the right.

Despite being only days away from her due date, Officer Wheeler says he could not tell that Ms. Dozier was pregnant during the incident. Regardless, he explains in the official police report that accompanied the incident that he used "a front push kick to the abdomen, as he was taught to do at the academy” because she “approached him aggressively.”

A police report was filed because officers charged Ms. Dozier for obstruction during the altercation. Prosecutors have since dropped the charge.

A public profile exists on Facebook for a Jerad Wheeler from Atlanta, Georgia that lists his employer as Dekalb County Police Department. Among Wheeler’s listed activities are grappling, training, weight lifting and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

According to the Facebook page for Jerad Wheeler, one of his favorite quotes is "Weapons give me a semi.”

Four months after the incident, WSBTV confirms that Officer Wheeler is under a criminal probe for the incident. When Ms. Dozier initially filed a complaint, however, the police department dismissed her allegations, refused an investigation and OK’d the officer’s actions. At least four supervisors and an internal affairs detective subsequently approved of Wheeler’s actions and agreed that the attack was within the department’s use of force policy.

“What kind of a human being kicks a pregnant woman? I mean, forget whether or not it is a police officer that is supposedly protecting people," Dozier's attorney, Mark Bullma, tells WSBTV News.

"He was not, he had no reason to do that, and for a higher authority to say that he is OK, his boss is wrong too," Dozier adds.

"I believe that something should be done. Men go to jail every day for hitting women and it's not OK just because he is a police officer.”

A call placed by RT America with the Dekalb County Police Department inquiring if Officer Wheeler is currently receiving pay was not returned. WSBTV reports that a police representative declined to comment with them as well regarding how the department was handling the officer.

What has been revealed, however, is more shocking news about the officer's sordid past, including events from only the last few months. In September, a 53-year old woman said the officer twisted her arm and slammed her into a cop car for seemingly no reason. This January, Wheeler responded to a 911 call by arriving at the wrong address, then shooting a leashed dog that was inside the incorrect home’s garage. He was exonerated of both crimes.

"It's showing that there is an ongoing pattern and practice of attempting to clear officers of clearly illegal, unconstitutional, and improper conduct," Bullman adds.

Read More: http://rt.com/usa/news/pregnant-kick-wheeler-dozie...

• Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/15 04:39:35
    Inquisitve Kat
    +7
    Hmm, let's see... he has a track record of sketchy behaviour, wrongly killed a dog, and booted a pregnant (admittedly violent, however, given the circumstances, to be expected) woman in the stomach.
    Why should he keep his job?

• Kat 2012/06/29 03:21:58
    no
    Kat
    +1
    Darn, I meant to say yes! & much more if you ask me. Jail time!
  • "Abe" Kat 2012/08/03 16:31:04
    "Abe"
    +1
    Yep, jail time plus a good kick in the "cajones" first!
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/06/14 03:03:19 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    He should be charged with assault,as well as being fired..
  • "Abe" Prime T... 2012/08/03 16:31:45
  • Brosia 2012/06/14 01:33:44
    Brosia
    +1
    And the department should have an exterior investigation if they think it is alright for him to kick a woman in the stomach, pregnant or not. Unless she outweighed him by a large margin, he should have been able to handle it better.
  • "Abe" Brosia 2012/08/03 16:32:32
    "Abe"
    +1
    Yes, some good police - some bad - this one is "out of control"!
  • BackWoodsMike 2012/05/18 11:48:50
    BackWoodsMike
    +1
    I don't know what Academy that Officer graduated from, but at the Academy I was Commissioned at (Law Enforcement Training Academy, Donleson TN) they taught no such tactic.

He was way in the wrong, and if he was in my Department, would have not only been ordered to turn in his Badge, but would have been turned over to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
  • "Abe" BackWoo... 2012/05/19 00:41:31
    "Abe"
    +1
    Sounds right to me~~!!
  • pat BackWoo... 2012/05/21 08:29:45
    pat
    Understanding your position, I want you to gain further insight into one of mine. I have said to you I dont respect cops unless they earn it. I am providng a link to a "cop-blog" that reports this episode. What is of interest is the comments made by members after the article. Because of the blogs name, I am ASSUMING that it IS cops that are commenting. I think the context of said comments demonstrates that I am relatively safe in my assumption. One other thing I would ask of you, consider "mind-set" while reading.

I post this knowing what you have been through today. (Sunday) I am not suggesting there arent good cops. All I am saying is when somebody acts as though being a cop immediately demands a different level of respect than joe blow, I say that cop has probably got issues. Ive simply ran into it too many tiimes. Last thing of note is the Facebook comment; "weapons give me a semi." Again, a mind-set Ive experienced not only within the police community, but the gun community at large. Its troubling. I think it goes directly to the other topic now under discussion between the two of us. I think it played a part in the events that unfolded that evening.

I truly hope you have a great Monday Backwood. I hope some activity provides a day free of care or worry. I hope you can rela...

I truly hope you have a great Monday Backwood. I hope some activity provides a day free of care or worry. I hope you can relax, lean back, and enjoy some simple beauty the world has to offer. Peace.

http://www.masscops.com/threa...
  • BackWoo... pat 2012/05/21 11:59:59
    BackWoodsMike
    +1
    There are many so called “Cop” forums, most of which I have found to be infiltrated with cop wanabees, or worse, cop groupies who have an extremely bizarre vision of what Law Enforcement is. The only LEO Forums that I log on are those sanctioned by either National or State Law Agencies.

That “cop” not only has issues, the Department has issues for allowing him to keep his Badge.

I'm proud of what I do, and I do it without pay, since my wife and I live very comfortably on my retirement, I donate the County salary to the Police/Fire Fighters Relief Fund. The Sheriff I work for and the Officers I work with are top notch, and as they trust me, I trust them with my life.

Law Enforcement is not all about guns and authority, it is a service to the Community, and sometimes a thankless one at that. We carry weapons basically for our own protection, because the Badge we wear is a prime target for those who would do harm to others. They know that we would risk our own lives to stop them from their criminal deeds.

Our prayer that we say at the beginning of our shift is that we have the strength and ability to prevent our friends and neighbors in the Community from being victims, and that by the end of our shift we are still alive to go home to our families.

There is a “Thin Blue Line” and it...

There is a “Thin Blue Line” and it has been misinterpreted by allot of Civilians and some Officers as to mean that we will stand by one another even if it means lying, of covering for a bad cop. Nothing could be further from the truth. If an Officer goes rogue as this one obviously did, they cross that Thin Blue Line, and any self respecting LEO will condemn them for their actions.

Have a safe day,

• pat BackWoo... 2012/05/21 17:22:43 (edited)
    pat
    "...infiltrated with cop wanabees"...someone like, oh, say, George Zimmerman?
  • BackWoo... pat 2012/05/21 19:35:40
    BackWoodsMike
    +1
    Possibility.. I never said that he was or wasn't, did I?

Or maybe he is one of hundreds of thousands of Community Watch personnel (many armed) who have pride in their Community, a love of their Neighbors, and want to keep their Neighborhood safe from “gangbanger wanabees”.
  • pat BackWoo... 2012/05/22 00:46:23
    pat
    +1
    Possibility...I never said that he (Martin) was or wasn't, did I?
  • BackWoo... pat 2012/05/22 01:12:10
    BackWoodsMike
    ;')
  • SemperRick 2012/05/18 02:57:17
    no
    SemperRick
    +1
    WTF??? When is it EVER to put a pregnant woman in harms way regardless of what she may have done. There is a plethera of techniques and tactics that professional law enforcement can use to defuse a volitile situation. This is exactly why I have very little respect for law enforcement. It is like they have an instant ower trip once they pin that badge on their chest. Then not getting any punishment and his cop buddies basically saying it's ok to kick a pregnant woman in the stomach. What is our society coming to? I truly fear for this ountry in the next upcoming decade. This is a travesty.
  • SemperRick SemperRick 2012/05/18 02:59:44
    SemperRick
    +2
    I meant to click on yes if anybody is wondering why my answer does not match up with my written opinion. It is NOT ok for a law enforcement individual to kick a pregnant woman in the stomach. Cut and Dry!!
  • "Abe" SemperRick 2012/05/19 00:43:41 (edited)
    "Abe"
    NP. Agreed~~!!
  • "Abe" SemperRick 2012/05/19 00:43:10
    "Abe"
    Fear the "next few months to a year". Upcoming decade - a lot of "stuff" will happen before then. Thanks for your comment.
  • alanh 2012/05/18 00:40:18
    alanh
    +2
    This Cop obviously has anger and violence issues and should be fired or put in a desk job.
  • "Abe" alanh 2012/05/18 02:35:00
    "Abe"
    +2
    Absolutely~~!!
  • alanh "Abe" 2012/05/19 23:03:26 (edited)
    alanh
    +1
    As$hole Cop: police anger management
    Thanks Abe!!
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/05/18 00:27:24 (edited)
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    Ooooookay. The first 3 words should be enough even with out the explanation. "A rogue cop." If he's rogue then he needs to be canned and maybe do some prison time himself for the crimes being charged against him. And the fact that his precinct is allowing it to happen???? I think maybe "they" should also be investigated and also charged with allowing this to go on! What the heck is the matter with those folks?!?!? If a private citizen tried to do the things that this "rogue cop" is doing then they would probably still be in prison for their crimes. Guess I'm gonna have to make sure I stay out of that contaminated county there.
  • "Abe" bman~AV... 2012/05/18 02:36:39
    "Abe"
    +2
    Agree he (and the PD) should be investigated. Probably be found guilty - if so, prison it is~~!! Yep, think I'd steer clear of that place, also.
  • bman~AV... "Abe" 2012/05/18 09:59:09
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    I'm thinking it would be a good thing to call in the U.S. Marshall service. They have a bit more muscle and they can probably get this taken care of pretty quick.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/05/18 00:09:09
  • "Abe" POWERSH... 2012/05/18 02:37:12
    "Abe"
    +2
    I agree. Thanks.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/05/17 23:07:09
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +3
    yes.He should be in a world of trouble.
  • "Abe" Phyl *I... 2012/05/18 02:38:06
    "Abe"
    +1
    Let's hope it doesn't just get "swept under the rug" as so many of these incidents are~~!!
  • Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR 2012/05/17 22:32:54 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +3
    This COP acts more like NAZIS !!There is NO excuse to kicking a 9 mos. pregnant woman in the stomach. NONE!! And for all of the other things he has done NO excuse for that as well!!!! This Cop has taken his power way over his (Wacko) head!!!! What is next from him kicking a small child...... for crying!! He needs to have his A$$ KICKED OUT and NEVER be a cop!! Then off to Jail so he can have his A$$ KICKED !! NAZIS
  • "Abe" Cindy64... 2012/05/18 02:38:58 (edited)
    "Abe"
    +2
    A good @ss-kicking would be appropriate~~!! LOL
  • Cindy64... "Abe" 2012/05/18 03:53:08
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    Oh HELL YES lol lol
  • strange_armour 2012/05/16 10:26:29
  • "Abe" strange... 2012/05/17 02:04:26
    "Abe"
    +3
    Agreed. Gives the "good guys" a bad name~!
  • bman~AV... strange... 2012/05/18 00:30:44
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    Great comment Strange! I agree! I mean, c'mon! A woman is 9mos pregnant and he states he can't tell???? What is wrong with that man's eyes???
  • "Abe" bman~AV... 2012/05/18 02:43:41
    "Abe"
    +2
    I have a friend who lives in (southern state) who has an "ex" that sounds just like this guy. She's well-prepared - locked and loaded - if you "get my drift"~!! Plus her new guy (good man) would probably do some @ss kickin' of his own if the "ex" bothered her~~!!
  • bman~AV... "Abe" 2012/05/18 10:00:28
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +1
    That sounds good to me. Yeah, people like that definitely need to get their sorry hides tuned up proper.
  • "Abe" bman~AV... 2012/05/19 00:45:58
    "Abe"
    +1
    You bet~~!!
  • bman~AV... "Abe" 2012/05/19 02:37:17
  • harasnicole 2012/05/16 05:08:53
    no
    harasnicole
    +3
    No, it's not okay; yes, he should be fired. That's just unacceptable, kicking a pregnant woman in the stomach for seemingly no reason. Actually, reasonable or not, it's unacceptable for him to lay his hands (or foot, in this case) on a woman, period.
  • "Abe" harasni... 2012/05/17 02:05:17
    "Abe"
    +1
    Agreed~~!!

2014/09/24 04:37:43