Conservative Politics, 'Low-Effort' Thinking Linked In New Study - Do You Agree?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/10 17:05:37

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much, and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking. As The Huffington Post reported in February, a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world

Read More:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/07/conservative-politic...

• Guinness2050 2012/04/10 17:26:25
    Guinness2050
    +5
    I am unconvinced that 'conservatism' in and of itself signifies a low IQ, but nobody can deny that it certainly draws a crowd mental midgets to its causes.

• bigfoot 2012/04/12 14:32:33
    bigfoot
    +1
    without a doubt.Conservatives are Simpletons.you are a success measured by how much power and wealth you have.look no further than Mitt.he is a RWNJ classic success.
  • EdVenture 2012/04/11 17:28:59
    EdVenture
    +2
    What baffles me sometimes they're teachers or hold publicly funded jobs.????
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2012/04/11 01:14:29
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +2
    Judging from the folks on this site that assessment seems to be spot on! However, I think it's good to keep in mind SH likely isn't a mirror example of all conservatives. This site is obviously owned and operated by cons. I have seen countless examples of administration's conservative bias disregarding professionalism and instead behaving like sandbox tyrants. The result creates a haven for conservative bullies, low effort thinkers, and morons. It also drives away lefties and those able to use common sense.
  • tweet_tweet 2012/04/11 00:18:14 (edited)
    tweet_tweet
    +1
    Academics tend to have a liberal bias, so I take conclusions like this with a grain of salt.

PS - I am liberal
  • Jo 2012/04/10 23:22:56
    Jo
    +2
    I've always maintained that they were very intellectually limited---this just proves it.
  • 3003573 2012/04/10 23:01:57
  • CAROLYN... 3003573 2012/04/10 23:03:57
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +1
    soooo true!
  • The Mosher 2012/04/10 22:57:48
    The Mosher
    +2
    I believe that some conservative issues such as economics still need higher thinking yet overall it seems less thinking ( especially socially)
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/04/10 22:46:55
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +1
    Obviously!
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/04/10 22:08:32
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +2
    Doesn't matter who is driving the train

driving train

Democrats and Republicans are on the same track
    http://webstation19.8k.com/re...

Time to take some paths not taken
    http://webstation19.8k.com/go...

http://www.goooh.com
  • Melizmatic John Ga... 2012/04/10 22:51:05
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Agreed; no matter who the conductor is, we always seem to end up 'derailed.'

derailed
    +2
    I have found this to be very true. So what is going to happen to our schools when the majority of students are taught in public schools but an elite group of students are able to go to private schools, usually more intelligent, and get brainwashed by those very consevative schools. ?????
  • WankerBait 2012/04/10 19:33:46
    WankerBait
    +2
    "Keeping people from thinking too much...or just asking them to deliberate or consider information in a cursory manner can impact people's political attitudes, and in a way that consistently promotes political conservatism," Dr. Eidelman said in the email.

For me, the above is an excellent explanation of conservatism in the USA today.

It also supports John Stuart Mills' observation: "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/04/10 19:03:16
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    Dammit! I meant yes.
    You have to read this study very carefully because it is not saying conservatives are dumb. What it says is conservatism presents answers that are black and white, right or wrong. There is no gray area. Liberalism presents answers that are much more gray, they are more complicated to explain and thus require more effort to arrive at the conclusion. A conservative may have come to his beliefs after deciding the liberal view was wrong, not because he didn't understand it. There is a very important line in the article: "Our research shows low-effort' thought promotes conservatism, not that political conservatives use "low-effort" thinking". It is not saying anyone is right or anyone is smarter.
  • darcie lamar 2012/04/10 18:21:25
    darcie lamar
    BS again.
  • Goroth 2012/04/10 18:16:02 (edited)
    Goroth
    +2
    Conservatism and pathological malignant narcissism are two very different things. The money grubby elites who seem tone deaf to the impact their dealings have on the masses at large might not be main stream conservatives in the sense one imagines, they might simply be classical scam and con artists taking advantage of partisan strife to exploit ideological unrest to amass even more wealth and power.

I think it is just as unfair and equally dangerous to assume those who claim to be guided by faith in their political dealings as apposed to those who claim they are guided by precepts of equality and logic and reason are necessarily diametrically apposed and therefor only one is right and the other wrong, or somehow misguided and intellectually challenged.

Their actions will speak to the truth of their character or intent, not one action, or one mistake or celebrated achievement but the environment in which they are tasked with applying their decisions and the opportunities they take, or squander when there is no one looking, or no meaningful opposition and they are given, or take free reign to do as they please. You can claim to have the best interests of those you serve at heart, but if you are deluded to believing your ends justify the means, and nothing is sacred and what is d...

Their actions will speak to the truth of their character or intent, not one action, or one mistake or celebrated achievement but the environment in which they are tasked with applying their decisions and the opportunities they take, or squander when there is no one looking, or no meaningful opposition and they are given, or take free reign to do as they please. You can claim to have the best interests of those you serve at heart, but if you are deluded to believing your ends justify the means, and nothing is sacred and what is done is done, the chance to make a difference is pointless. Running roughshod over the helpless is not a desirable human trait, it is an affront to humanity.

Ruthless people will say or do anything to achieve their goals, and intelligent ruthless people will be far more convincing in their delivery or excuses when caught red handed. Never saying sorry when they should be is not a sign of conservatism or rigid ideology it is a sign of a basic lack of empathy and a callous disregard for societal norms, which is something else entirely different.

Scam artists and snake oil sales men or women appear charming and affect a sense of charisma and persuasive personality, but that doesn't mean they are harmless because they say what you want to hear, or can be seen kissing babies or spend money on worthy charities to level or ease their tax burdens. It is a predatory seduction. Any more than those who are traditionally soft-hearted in appearance won't get their hands dirty when they are backed into a corner or have their attempts to perform their duties curtailed and obstructed repeatedly. Passion for the job, is different than thirst for power or positioning oneself for affluence.

Regardless of the actual percentage of those who claim liberal or conservative bias towards events surrounding their world views, the IQ test if it is at all accurate in any sense to the individual versus the society that the standards apply toward, should not be seen as a value judgement based upon their intrinsic worth or lack thereof, any more than other arbitrary appraisals that have gotten a foothold in history were used to justify divisiveness and mistreatment. Those labels are designed to manipulate demographic experiences and opinions by those in positions to do so, not elevate the standard of living or ease the burden of the down-trodden.

Not every liberal, or every conservative is responsible for what elected officials do who claim either mantel and use it to abuse power or corrupt influence and betray trusted positions. That is guilt by association, an honor driven ethos that is archaic and has no place in a society that demands personal accountability and rewards sincere effort and promises punishment and punitive measures for affronts to the law of established moral and ethical violations.

The persons who rabble rouse, and steal trust and obstruct the established order of justice and cause conflict and strife for their own short term gain and benefit with no regard to collateral damage: those people are driven by their own desires versus the mantel they have taken on or been assigned, those individuals seek out others like them, or manipulate circumstances and systems to disguise or nullify remedy potential prosecution for their actions.

It should not be a blanket assessment because some are corrupt, or some appear weak or unwilling to take popular tasks on, that it is so for all. Does being exceptionally innately intelligent make you better than a person who is considered below average or average, does that mean they will somehow make wiser decisions, or heartless ones? If you were to imagine that the tests were skewed toward desired results or favored outcomes you will find exactly what you are looking for to support your thesis, and be offended by the results you fear reflect unfavorably upon yourself.

Regardless of the actual true nature if there is any verifiable measured standard toward a propensity of persons who are "below, or at average" intelligence to feel strongly conservative as apposed to the "above average, to superior" in IQ values, each individual is different and each individual seeks out his or her own as they either consciously or subconsciously determine and identify with in what they affiliate is best and an attractive clique associated with the most, on things they feel are close to heart and make sense, if patterns emerge from details not visible to the naked eye that are not mere statistical anomalies, then what does that matter if the individual is still expected to be or understood singularly responsible for their thoughts and actions and motivations or consequences thereof?
  • Savior 2012/04/10 17:31:28
    Savior
    +1
    What do you say to this

Shows that some Obama supporters don't even know what a Keynesian is

Show that some Obama supporters didn't even follow politics around the 2008

Plus Huffington Post is a totally liberal website. Of course liberals will say conservatives are stupid, just like conservatives will say liberals are stupid.

I say each side has their fair share of uneducated people.

What gets my blood boiling, is when I bring up the records of the politicians most support. And normally it's liberals that will result to ad hominem first, but I do think conservatives do it also.

I technically did it with those videos, but it was a retort to your question. If you wished to discuss policy, I will remain as civilized as possible while criticizing the policies as much as possible. But what I will not stand for is calling someone stupid, or uneducated. In that scenario, I will result to the same action.
  • pat Savior 2012/04/10 18:09:04
    pat
    +1
    One problem: Because the Huffington Post REPORTED on a study in Psychological Science, it invalidates it for you? Perhaps linking and reading the study might support your invalidation, perhaps not. Dont you think though, that you owe it to yourself to see the actual study before dismissing it with a (obviously biased) wave of the hand?
  • Savior pat 2012/04/10 19:14:07
    Savior
    I'll read it, but I believe there are uneducated and crazy people on all sides of the political spectrum, does that invalidate the point of those who are sane. Hell No in my opinion, and what I fear is that the article and experiment will not feel the same way, I fear that the article will be to demonize conservatives. I will read it though.
  • pat Savior 2012/04/10 22:02:01
    pat
    +1
    Regardless of the report and how you feel about it, I believe you will be better off for reading it. Perhaps your perception will be confirmed. Perhaps you'll discover additional links, or maybe some info on the individual who conducted the study, and his/her personal biases. (we all have them) My point was this: you are young, you are engaged in the process, and you are obviously intelligent. Following information back to the source insures a reference point unfiltered by others' point of view. (and the biases I claim inherent in all of us) Intellectually, it will make you "bigger, better, stronger."
  • Guinness2050 2012/04/10 17:26:25
    Guinness2050
    +5
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/04/10 17:11:05
  • Savior Contard... 2012/04/10 17:35:09
    Savior
    what is your opinion on the following Obama policies

NDAA
    HR 347
    renewing Patriot Act
    War in Libya
    ending Iraq war just before election season (which is technically not over because the private contractors are still there)
    not closing Gitmo
  • Contard... Savior 2012/04/10 18:26:23
  • Pet Roc... Contard... 2012/04/10 23:35:42
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    A shining example of "low effort" that I get bombarded with from the right is when my comment on anything political related that is less than flattering about the right. They are extremely quick to make a nasty comment about Obama. As if that is going to somehow hurt me. As if it somehow relates in any way to my comment or the subject matter of what I commented on. They are also very quick to assume I am a lib, left, etc. when there is nothing in my profile or anything I've ever said on SH to imply I am a lib, left, etc. I perhaps have more lib, left, etc type friends here simply because they are in general easier to get along with. The left does have it's share of loons here. However, the percentage is certainly fewer than the right's percentage, and they are not so hostile and seem to be of a higher mental caliber than their RWNJ counterparts.
  • Contard... Pet Roc... 2012/04/11 14:29:55
  • Z 2012/04/10 17:10:37
    Z
    The problem with this is the same as every other attempt to connect ideology to intellect. IQ scores completely contradict this. In nearly every instance, conservatism actually scores higher on IQ tests, they make up the higher levels of business elites, make more money, attain a higher level of degree on average (though a higher level does not mean more conservative) and don't rely on government as much (except for their states.)
  • Contard... Z 2012/04/10 17:12:26
  • darcie ... Contard... 2012/04/10 18:26:05
    darcie lamar
    +1
    As a business owner, yes. Most of the people I associate with are conservative and doing well with their businesses. The liberals I know are still waiting for Obama to make their world wonderful, my conservative friends are making our world great without Obama or the government. We can't wait to get rid of Obama so we can soar even higher. soaring
  • Contard... darcie ... 2012/04/10 18:30:54 (edited)
  • Chris- ... Z 2012/04/10 19:08:27
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    Go back and read what the article again. It is not saying conservatism is wrong or that conservatives are less intelligent.

2014/10/01 06:19:57