Conservative Icon George Will Calls Newt Gingrich A Marxist. Do You Agree ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2011/12/06 19:35:17
I Agree With George Will
Newt Is Just Ethically Challenged And Misunderstood
Leaving Your Wife And Refusing to Pay Child Support Is Conservative
I Wish Che Would Stop Posting The Truth

WASHINGTON --

Republicans are more conservative than at any time since their 1980 dismay about another floundering president. They are more ideologically homogenous than ever in 156 years of competing for the presidency. They anticipated choosing between Mitt Romney, a conservative of convenience, and a conviction politician to his right. The choice, however, could be between Romney and the least conservative candidate, Newt Gingrich.

Romney's main objection to contemporary Washington seems to be that he is not administering it. God has 10 commandments, Woodrow Wilson had 14 points, Heinz had 57 varieties, but Romney's economic platform has 59 planks -- 56 more than necessary if you have low taxes, free trade and fewer regulatory burdens. Still, his conservatism-as-managerialism would be a marked improvement upon today's bewildered liberalism.

Gingrich, however, embodies the vanity and rapacity that make modern Washington repulsive. And there is his anti-conservative confidence that he has a comprehensive explanation of, and plan to perfect, everything.

Granted, his grandiose rhetoric celebrating his "transformative" self is entertaining: Recently he compared his revival of his campaign to Sam Walton's and Ray Kroc's creations of Wal-Mart and McDonald's, two of America's largest private-sector employers. There is almost artistic vulgarity in Gingrich's unrepented role as a hired larynx for interests profiting from such government follies as ethanol and cheap mortgages. His Olympian sense of exemption from standards and logic allowed him, fresh from pocketing $1.6 million from Freddie Mac (for services as a "historian"), to say "if you want to put people in jail," look at "the politicians who profited from" Washington's environment.

His temperament -- intellectual hubris distilled -- makes him blown about by gusts of enthusiasm for intellectual fads, from 1990s futurism to "Lean Six Sigma" today. On election eve 1994, he said a disturbed South Carolina mother drowning her children "vividly reminds" Americans "how sick the society is getting, and how much we need to change things. ... The only way you get change is to vote Republican." Compare this grotesque opportunism -- tarted up as sociology -- with his devious recasting of it in a letter to the Nov. 18, 1994, Wall Street Journal. And remember his recent swoon over the theory that "Kenyan, anti-colonial" thinking explains Barack Obama.

Gingrich, who would have made a marvelous Marxist, believes everything is related to everything else and only he understands how. Conservatism, in contrast, is both cause and effect of modesty about understanding society's complexities, controlling its trajectory and improving upon its spontaneous order. Conservatism inoculates against the hubristic volatility that Gingrich exemplifies and Genesis deplores: "Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel."

Obama is running as Harry Truman did in 1948, against Congress, but Republicans need not supply the real key to Truman's success -- Tom Dewey. Confident that Truman was unelectable, Republicans nominated New York's chilly governor, whose virtues of experience and steadiness were vitiated by one fact: Voters disliked him. Before settling for Romney, conservatives should reconsider two candidates who stumbled early on.

Rick Perry (disclosure: my wife Mari Will advises him) has been disappointing in debates. They test nothing pertinent to presidential duties but have become absurdly important. Perry's political assets remain his Texas record and Southwestern zest for disliking Washington and Wall Street simultaneously and equally.

Jon Huntsman inexplicably chose to debut as the Republican for people who rather dislike Republicans, but his program is the most conservative. He endorses Paul Ryan's budget and entitlement reforms. (Gingrich denounced Ryan's Medicare reform as "right-wing social engineering.") Huntsman would privatize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (Gingrich's benefactor). Huntsman would end double taxation on investment by eliminating taxes on capital gains and dividends. (Romney would eliminate them only for people earning less than $200,000, who currently pay just 9.3 percent of them.) Huntsman's thorough opposition to corporate welfare includes farm subsidies. (Romney has justified them as national security measures -- food security, somehow threatened. Gingrich says opponents of ethanol subsidies are "big city" people hostile to farmers.) Huntsman considers No Child Left Behind, the semi-nationalization of primary and secondary education, "an unmitigated disaster." (Romney and Gingrich support it. Gingrich has endorsed a national curriculum.) Between Ron Paul's isolationism and the faintly variant bellicosities of the other six candidates stands Huntsman's conservative foreign policy, skeptically nuanced about America's need or ability to control many distant developments.

Romney might not be a Dewey. Gingrich might stop being (as Churchill said of John Foster Dulles) a bull who carries his own china shop around with him. But both are too risky to anoint today.

Contact George F. Will at georgewill@washpost.com.

Read More: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/04/g...

• C. C. Rider 2011/12/06 19:51:48
    C. C. Rider
    +15
    He is Insane Cain's hero...LOL and a godsend to show case cons family values!! Which of course there are none.

newt s cartoons newt s cartoons

• Leeaqua 2011/12/08 15:38:28
    Leeaqua
    +2
    A person of no moral character whatsoever who thinks he can fool the public ( at least the radical conservative public ) !
  • Sissy 2011/12/08 12:26:58 (edited)
    I Agree With George Will
    Sissy
    +5
    I wish there would have been another Choice Che. For instance: "I Think"

While Will pretty much describes Gingrich to a Tee, I will never, ever believe that Conservatism in the way George Will describes and subscribes to it, is fair to the 99%. There is no doubt in my mind that those who live on Main Street and passionately support that Agenda are working against their own self interests.

Conservatives had their chance at governing in the majority and they blew it in every possible way. The only thing that drives Gingrich and will continue to drive him is him feeding on the feral hatred that the Right has for this President. They want this country to fail because that means they can bring Obama to his knees. A pretty sick Party we're dealing with. All factions of it.
  • sugardaddy 2011/12/07 23:55:01
    I Agree With George Will
    sugardaddy
    +6
    But the real reason he think,s he,s special and has a chance to win is because he is special i mean who else do you know that,s been Neutered ? .

Neutered GINGRICH

Neutered GINGRICH
  • Carol 2011/12/07 23:29:09
    I Agree With George Will
    Carol
    +3
    And so much more.
  • ☠Marz555☠ 2011/12/07 20:17:32
    ☠Marz555☠
    Scam artist, yea... Marxist... Comeon? 99% of people does not know what that even means. Sounds just like yet another swipe against people who feel that the social programs and regulations of the government are indeed what separates the US from third world nations.

Everybody who is not a hardcore libertarian can be called a Marxist
  • Anna E 2011/12/07 19:33:04
    I Agree With George Will
    Anna E
    +2
    roflmao More comedy from the fan of a psychopathic and murderous Cuban.

Not that I am a fan of the goof, but I won't make idiotic claims about the goof either.

Yeah, Gingrich is an authoritarian. That's about as close as he gets to Marxism.
    If keeping income taxes low, cutting corporate taxes, enabling PRIVATE social security, cutting regulation, boosting businesses to create jobs, etc. is socialistic, then someone made a new definition of socialism.
  • Lindy... 2011/12/07 17:04:11
    Lindy...
    +8
    The Republican Candidates all seem to want to take us backwards in time. Putting children to work when their parents can't even find jobs, busting Unions, allowing corporations to pollute our food, water, and air. They attack women's rights and have
    affairs as a matter of routine, while preaching 'family values'. These men are scum bags,
    hypocrites and pompous egomanias who have no sense of right and wrong.
  • Sissy Lindy... 2011/12/08 12:38:20
    Sissy
    +1
    Great observation Lindy. I'm having my 10 year old grandson get his application into the school right now for a summer custodian job. By golly, forget about that Little League team he's on, the swimming lessons and a boy scout camp. He can just get his little arse to work. Maybe he can replace that fellow who is currently working two jobs to just keep his house and can go flip hamburgers somewhere. Maybe the republicans won't have time yet to legislate kids under 16 handling food, ya think?
  • oldcavpilot 2011/12/07 15:04:09
    I Agree With George Will
    oldcavpilot
    +7
    He may not be a Marxist, but he's so many other things he doesn't have a prayer. The election races haven't even gotten really dirty yet; just wait...........

Newt's gonna have some 'splainin' to do.
  • toni 2011/12/07 14:26:53
    toni
    It's time for George Will to retire
  • Sissy toni 2011/12/08 12:40:44
    Sissy
    +1
    I'm afraid darlin, you're going to have to find a whole boatload of republicans to "retire" or merely "shut up." I saw a panel of former republican representatives yesterday and they are pitching fits over Newite rising in the polls. They said the republican party is doomed if he should get the nomination. The only reason you are for him is because your hatred for this President outweighs any common sense you might have ever had. Go figure.
  • toni Sissy 2011/12/08 14:42:31
    toni
    +1
    I am not for Gingrich. There are plenty of names I would call him. Marxist just isn't one of them.
  • Sissy toni 2011/12/14 17:05:59
    Sissy
    +1
    "Marxist" isn't a name you can honestly call any of the candidates and I don't care what side they're on.
  • carolynb 2011/12/07 14:18:26
    I Agree With George Will
    carolynb
    +3
    I dont agree with him much, but this time, he is dead on!!
  • Sir Bud. 2011/12/07 12:12:57
    Sir Bud.
    +5
    George Will Conservative and Newt a Marxist!?.And the winner is!?.LOL.
  • aneed2know 2011/12/07 06:55:40
    aneed2know
    +8
    Newt is a legend in his own world.
  • uncle r... aneed2know 2011/12/08 12:35:44
    uncle remus
    +2
    ..............it seems once again Newt has gone and self adjusted his meds....I'm thinking maybe Newt,Limbaugh and Beck share the same dope connection.....It's time to demand drug testing for these fine pillars of our community.
  • Jay 2011/12/07 05:25:49
    Jay
    +8
    Can you imagine a Newt/Trump ticket? Now that would be fun to watch. Trump would probably end up firing Newt. Two bloated egos like theirs could never survive together. Right now Newt is kissing Trump's butt, so Trump loves him. The first time Newt tries to go against Trump there will be hell to pay.
  • #Justic... Jay 2011/12/07 06:25:59
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +7
    If it weren't so scary it would almost be funny to see those two lock horns.
  • Jay #Justic... 2011/12/07 06:54:18
    Jay
    +8
    Newt and Trump, a meeting of their minds!
    newt kissing trumps ass cartoon
  • #Justic... Jay 2011/12/07 09:24:49
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +6
    Ewwww, how am I ever gonna get that image out of my mind?

BnB
  • uncle r... #Justic... 2011/12/08 12:40:39
  • carolynb Jay 2011/12/07 14:19:47
    carolynb
    +4
    Ewww. Good one...
  • Sissy Jay 2011/12/08 12:43:21
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2011/12/07 05:14:53
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +7
    Hell, I know Marxists that aren't as ethically challenged as Newt!
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2011/12/07 04:30:16
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +5
    But I do think Will is correct in his analysis of the two front runners. Neither stands a chance at the presidency.
  • MO.gal 2011/12/07 03:22:21
    MO.gal
    +11
    Newt has so many skeletons in his closet he has to jump back every time he opens the door.
    newt skeletons closet jump opens door
  • #Justic... MO.gal 2011/12/07 06:27:13
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +7
    That image about sums it up.
  • uncle r... MO.gal 2011/12/08 12:43:30
  • Sissy MO.gal 2011/12/08 12:45:41
    Sissy
    +3
    The thing is, the Right Wing fruitcakes don't care how many skeletons he has. Their hatred of President Obama far outweighs their desire to have a president who can lead. Newt was an abysmal Speaker but hey, so what? He's a mean dirty street fighter and that's what they want. Even Karl Rove is pitching fits.
  • Jay Sissy 2011/12/09 06:39:10
    Jay
    +3
    Just think if Newt becomes president we'll have a first lady that stole some other woman's husband, lol! The religious right ought to love the two of them.
  • Sissy Jay 2011/12/14 17:07:25
    Sissy
    +1
    Ahhh, but darlin, he's already gone to God, remember. And by golly that's all you have to do to get the okay.
  • Jay Sissy 2011/12/15 00:36:37
    Jay
    Bunch of hypocrites the lot of them!
  • jimrthy BN-0 2011/12/07 02:23:26
    I Agree With George Will
    jimrthy BN-0
    +3
    Well, I don't think Newt has enough humanity to be a good Marxist like Lenin or Stalin. Much less the ethics. And Will (yet again) totally blows off the fact that Dr. Paul is the single best Presidential candidate in our lifetimes. But we can't expect him to really fight the tide.

Huntsman might well be the 2nd best choice.
  • Che Gue... jimrthy... 2011/12/07 03:32:30
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +9
    Ron Paul is probably the biggest White Supremacist of our lifetime. But don't take my word for it. Check it out for yourself.

10 quotes directly from Ron Paul that make him sound incredibly racist, it’s hard to believe otherwise. Read the quotes for yourself, and see if you believe Ron Paul is a racist.

1. ‎”We don’t think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That’s true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.”

2. “What else do we need to know about the political establishment than that it refuses to discuss the crimes that terrify Americans on grounds that doing so is racist? Why isn’t that true of complex embezzling, which is 100 percent white and Asian?”

3. ”Six-hundred-thousand Americans died in the senseless Civil War. No, he should not have gone to war. He did this just to enhance and get rid of the original tenet of the Republic.” -Regarding the Civil War

4. ”Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal. These aren’t my figures, that is the assum...

4. ”Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal. These aren’t my figures, that is the assumption you can gather from” the report.”

5. “Contrary to the claims of the supporters of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the sponsors of H.Res. 676, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 did not improve race relations or enhance freedom. Instead, the forced integration dictated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 increased racial tensions while diminishing individual liberty.” -On the 40th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act

6. “The Criminals who terrorize our cities – in riots and on every non-riot day – are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are.”

7. “I wouldn’t vote against getting rid of the Jim Crow laws.” -When asked if he would have voted for the Civil Rights Act.

8. “Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action.”

9. “Immigrants can spread diseases for which we may have no immunity. There is also the question of crime and culture. Many immigrants come from countries with different legal structures and are not willing to behave in the way we expect American citizens to behave.”

10. “There is no such thing as a hate crime.”
  • carolynb Che Gue... 2011/12/07 14:22:49
    carolynb
    +3
    OMG. Ron Paul is horrible. I never realized he was so racist. I just always thought he was just a little racist. lol
  • jimrthy... carolynb 2011/12/07 19:59:36
    jimrthy BN-0
    Of those, #1 is the only one I'd consider truly racist. That's without any context.

Then again, I've spent most of my life around real racism in one form or another. These statements aren't PC, but, for the most part, they're true. It's much more effective to deal with the world as it is than the way we wish it were.
  • carolynb jimrthy... 2011/12/07 20:03:09
    carolynb
    +3
    Him and his son have both said they think the civl rights act has gone to far when it comes to the free market. A store owner should have the right to turn away whoever they want and that includes because of race. They quickly add that they would be stupid to do that, but the fact they think it is ok, makes them racist.
  • Jay carolynb 2011/12/07 21:35:53
    Jay
    +3
    Many of the GOP are trying to take this country backwards! It's sad really!
  • carolynb Jay 2011/12/07 21:40:04
    carolynb
    +3
    For real!! Back to the 60's or even further. Back alley abortions, no rights for workers, and prejudice against anybody not lilly white. I guess those were the good old days for them.

2014/12/22 04:14:22