Conservative Drug Testing of Welfare Recipients Backfires. Only 2% Test Positive. Discrimination ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2011/08/25 11:32:50

"Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.

Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests.

The initiative may save the state a few dollars anyway, bearing out one of Gov. Rick Scott's arguments for implementing it. But the low test fail-rate undercuts another of his arguments: that people on welfare are more likely to use drugs.

According to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, performed by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services, 8.7 percent of the population nationally over age 12 uses illicit drugs. The rate was 6.3 percent for those ages 26 and up.

A 2008 study by the Office of National Drug Control Policy also showed that 8.13 percent of Floridians age 12 and up use illegal drugs.

Newton said that's proof the drug-testing program is based on a stereotype, not hard facts.

"This is just punishing people for being poor, which is one of our main points," he said. "We're not testing the population at-large that receives government money; we're not testing people on scholarships, or state contractors. So why these people? It's obvious-- because they're poor."

http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2011/aug/24/welfare-drug-te...

Read More: http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2011/aug/24/welf...

+15
    Well ..
    The REALITY is .. throughout our Military Service Careers .. we are constantly (Randomly and Regularly) Drug Tested (which is as it should be .. I do not want to have to serve with someone 'under the influence' that would pose a Danger to MYSELF and OTHERS (including all under me as well)

I also know major private corporations that have the same policy ..

IF one is getting a hand-out .. yes, by all means .. DO hold them to the same standard as the Military Servicemember and as there is in public Employment -- DRUG/Alcohol Test and let's have quality/Safe Working Environment .. products .. and stop funding the ones who are using the benefits for drugs/alcohol.

It is the RANDOM Testing that will account for higher numbers of /hits/ of positive for Substance Abuse .. and I do believe that we should randomly call in for immediate testing any on the hand-outs in the first place.

In the Military -- you abuse substances .. there's no 2nd changes here .. I WROTE up my own troops (and even Civilian Employees) that appeared to be /under the influence/ and got those Random Tests done (and yes, in the vast majority of cases .. they were positive)

Just need to be aware of what is around you .. and if you are getting a hand-out (true welfare) .. then by all means .. Random/Re...

Well ..

Just need to be aware of what is around you .. and if you are getting a hand-out (true welfare) .. then by all means .. Random/Regular Drug Test (those tests are not that costly -- but it IS worth it to the TAXPAYING CITIZEN to see any of their tax dollars used responsibly .. and that means .. on a hand-out .. if you are POSITIVE .. then not one more penny and get /fired/ from Welfare payments -- just as you would a job)

NOW to go after the Welfare FRAUD Too ..

• John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/04/22 22:40:48
  • The Albertan 2011/08/26 03:07:56
    The Albertan
    I'd say keep drug tests, because this was only in Florida not the whole US so results may vary, also there are ways to cheat ALOT of tests.
  • Che Gue... The Alb... 2011/08/26 04:00:43
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Bi in Aberta said:
    "also there are ways to cheat ALOT of tests"

I'm sure you know them all. lol
  • The Alb... Che Gue... 2011/09/01 05:33:30
    The Albertan
    hmm no but there are. in any case i believe drug tests should be done so that those found to be on drugs can get proper help for their addiction (if it is one).
  • Larry 2011/08/25 23:45:39
    Larry
    +1
    Nope, as long as working people have to be tested, then people who get welfare should be tested.
  • Che Gue... Larry 2011/08/26 04:02:42
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Not all working people get tested. Why not have State Contractors and Politicians get tested ? They get State money too.
  • jimrthy... Larry 2011/08/26 17:20:40
    jimrthy BN-0
    Why don't we flip that around.

Why do working people have to be tested?
    +2
    Look around and I'll bet thereis a bill of sale for 100s af millions of dollars worth of Clean Piss. in the pout box in the oval office of the White House.
  • unclepat jackola... 2011/08/25 21:14:51
    unclepat
    +1
    Of course it must be Marxist piss right? You're slipping pops. That's the fourth reply you made on various subjects where you forget the EMMMMM word! lol
  • Z 2011/08/25 16:13:48
    Z
    +3
    No, it didn't backfire. That is not a small number, when one considers that we have almost half of our population on welfare, that is about 3 million legal citizens in the US doing drugs on welfare. But considering how long they had before the testing began, that number is likely very low. But it is not because they are poor, but because they are using other people's money, whether you support welfare or not, they should be responsible to the people "helping" them.
  • Che Gue... Z 2011/08/25 16:33:49
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +7
    Contractors and Legislators use our money too. This is purely a way to cater to the hateful and racist side of society.
  • Z Che Gue... 2011/08/25 16:38:31 (edited)
    Z
    +2
    It is not, despite your repeated attempt to label them as such, the racist or hateful side. Your side, and you in particular, is (and I am being kind) at least as hateful and racist as anyone on the conservative side. By the way, many conservatives want all people that receive federal funds, whether through federal jobs, contracts or welfare, to have drug tests, just like the rest of us in the real world have to.
  • Che Gue... Z 2011/08/25 16:41:57
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +3
    The FACT is the only people are required to take drug tests in Florida to receive tax money are the POOR.
  • Z Che Gue... 2011/08/25 16:45:50
    Z
    +3
    Because no one, left or right, will pass a law forcing themselves to comply with a drug test. That fact, however, does not alter the fact that conservatives still would prefer it from all federal employees. And one state is a terrible sample for the entire nation anyway. But the poor is not a race. Whites, Hispanics, Asians, and Blacks all make up that class. It may be of a disproportionate amount minority, but that is not an influential matter. You are confusing correlation with causation.
  • jimrthy... Z 2011/08/26 17:18:32
    jimrthy BN-0
    At least some conservatives would prefer cutting government down to size and getting it out of our lives. Which means replacing welfare programs with private charity, eliminating the vast majority of government jobs, bringing our troops home, and ending the drug war (among other things).
  • Z jimrthy... 2011/08/26 19:38:56
    Z
    Very true. And I hope more and more that it will continue to grow in this regard. But it is hard to know if that is true or not.
  • luvguins Che Gue... 2011/08/25 17:51:57
    luvguins
    +7
    That azzwipe is blocked, but no way is half of the population on welfare, Che.
    If you use those who are supported by Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)--best described as a federal largess to indigent families with dependent children--as stated by the Dept. of Health the data suggests 1.7% of the total population that derive over 50% of their income from Welfare supports.

The number stated that receive ANY portion of their support from from welfare assistance--including food stamps--it is 29,900,000 or roughly 8% of the total population in the United States.

This breaks down to:

39% white 11,661,000 of 29,900,000 recipients

38% black 11,362,000 of 29,900,000

17% Hispanic 5,083,000 of 29,900,000

The strictest sense of the term though would be those getting income directly from the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services which is about 8% of the total population that receives some form of assistance and 1.7% that receive most of their income (50% or more) from these programs.

Programs like unemployment insurance or social security payments can technically be counted as "welfare" in some instances though they are differentiated from federal programs like TANF or food stamps.

The cretins like to make up crap to further conduct their class warfare on the poor, and we all should be getting sick of it!
  • scbluesman13 2011/08/25 16:09:31
    scbluesman13
    +10
    Did it ever occur to these idiotic lawmakers in Florida that most people who are on welfare also work in jobs that require long hours for little pay? Many of these folks don't have the time to sit around and take drugs, let alone afford them on a regular basis.

If Floridians really want to know who's making up a majority of that 8.13% of drug users over the age of 12, I'd hazard to guess that it's kids between the ages of 12-20 who either don't want or don't need to work or don't participate in afterschool programs regularly.
  • lucky 2011/08/25 16:07:17
    lucky
    +3
    There is no way you can make a realistic assessment of cost based only on a little more then one months worth of data. Especially when its a start up month. The total results will not even be worth considering until its been in effect for a least one fiscal year.
  • Rebel Yell 2011/08/25 15:45:18
    Rebel Yell
    +6
    About a thousand Floridians who receive temporary cash assistance have been drug tested since July. A little more than twenty failed, far fewer than expected. To compound the problem, some recipients are appealing the results. But even if the rate doubles, it will still be well below the eight percent drug use rate of the general public. Some lawmakers who voted for the new drug testing law told stories of drug addicted welfare recipients, but when pushed for proof, they couldn’t produce any statistics.

Karen Woodall, the director of the Florida Center for Fiscal and Economic Policy says the law picks on the poor. “There was never any actually evidence presented.”

Preliminary numbers indicate that for every $1 the new law saves, it costs about $5. The cost to the state of Florida to reimburse those 38 blameless individuals who tested negative for drugs was at least $1,140 over the course of six weeks. Meanwhile, denying benefits to the two applicants who did test positive will save Florida less than $240 a month..
  • Horace 2011/08/25 15:37:06
    Horace
    +4
    Not at all, the people who are paying the taxes for welfare have every right to see that the people they are giving money to are using it for their own welfare and not on illegal drugs. If it is true that only two percent of people are then that's great but it doesn't illegitimate the program.
    +15
    Well ..

Well ..

• lalouis... sglmom 2011/08/25 15:38:52
    lalouisiane
    +8
    A million raves for this post!!!!!

Very well done!!!! Bravo!!!!

Great job Sglmom!
  • jimrthy... sglmom 2011/08/26 17:13:18
    jimrthy BN-0
    Hmmm...

I had a buddy who went on two weeks leave. Smoked a joint on the first day gone. Swore that was the only illegal thing he'd imbibed since he signed up. Got picked for the random test on his first day back. Confessed before the results came back and got a general discharge.

I know that following the rules and obeying the law are extra-important to the military. But that just seems like the kind of case where the rules have failed. That's about obeying the rules for their own sake, not because you're endangering anyone else.
  • sglmom jimrthy... 2011/08/26 17:19:21
    +1
    Hmm ..

After having served a FULL Military Career (and yes, I AM Honorably Retired) .. even now I do NOT have any substance abuse issues at all .. never have .. never will.

The LAWS are there for a reason .. and the things that I did in the Military, as well as Professionally outside of the Military have tremendous impacts if someone is /under the influence/ .. (and I've seen and experienced the horrors on others .. innocents .. that just happened to be MURDERED, Killed, Harmed, Injured .. by those who are Under the Influence too.

LIKE any job .. we do need to be good stewards of Tax Dollars .. and I STILL Insist that we should RANDOMLY and Regularly Drug/Alcohol Test any who are on the DOLE. You should also prove that you are a Citizen as well .. but that Drug/Alcohol Testing .. should be expanded to include immediate Random testing in Section 8 Housing as well .. (if you are not going to give a sample .. if you won't cooperate .. then bye, bye .. just like with a Job you should be FIRED from the Dole too).

I Totally OBJECT to MY Tax Dollars going to Drugs, Alcohol or Substance Abusers. So yes, I do support this .. not only for the NEW applications, but also those already in the system as well.
  • Orangedragan 2011/08/25 15:20:34
    Orangedragan
    +6
    So, in other words, the conservatives' grand scheme to save money has actually cost even more than it has in the past.
  • unclepat Oranged... 2011/08/25 21:18:26
    unclepat
    +2
    That's usually how it works with our more conservative brethren. The party of no taxes and all cuts ALWAYS seems to wind up spending more than the so called "tax and spend" party!
  • jimrthy... unclepat 2011/08/26 17:04:47
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    Newsflash: politicians lie. Voters keep falling for it.
  • unclepat 2011/08/25 14:49:53
    unclepat
    +8
    Scott made himself out to be the ass on this one considering he KNEW of the 2% failure rate BEFORE he implemented this madness. Statistics bore these facts out long ago and was the debate point used by critics of this policy. Wonder what he does now to just eliminate poor people? Hey Rick? Here's an idea.....HOW ABOUT JOBS???
  • luvguins 2011/08/25 14:23:21
    luvguins
    +10
    What a waste of FL taxpayer money. Of course a chunk of it is going right into Scott's pocket, who has a drug testing lab he put into his wife's name at the time he launched this scheme.
  • Grand G... luvguins 2011/08/25 15:00:46 (edited)
    Grand Gentleman
    +3
    Those dirty beggars cannot help but turn people's problems into a money making scheme.
  • Queen B 2011/08/25 14:19:57
    Queen B
    +10
    How much does it cost for each drug test given? Doesn't sound very cost effective. And here I thought republicans wanted to cut everything they deem as wasteful spending.
  • ptete i... Queen B 2011/08/25 21:49:59
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +4
    Scott doesn't care. He owns the company that is doing it. Can you say "conflict of interest"?
  • Queen B ptete i... 2011/08/25 21:56:55
    Queen B
    +2
    Why is that not surprising? Does Florida have an option to recall like they do in Wisconsin?
  • ptete i... Queen B 2011/08/25 21:57:42
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +2
    Unfortunately, no. Sad isn't it?
  • Queen B ptete i... 2011/08/25 22:15:12
    Queen B
    +2
    Too bad. Yes, it's sad....I know people wish we had the opportunity to oust Kasich here in Ohio, but we are stuck with him for the duration.
  • jimrthy... Queen B 2011/08/26 17:00:27
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    Well, the opportunity's always there.

But sufferable evils will be suffered.
  • Queen B jimrthy... 2011/08/26 21:17:30
    Queen B
    He's a one term governor. He has no support - maybe around 25% still think he's doing a good job.
  • jimrthy... Queen B 2011/08/29 22:52:20
    jimrthy BN-0
    We really should look into ways to recall politicians who turn out to be total lemons.

The more I learn about it, the more I like that part about the British Parliamentary system. I'm sure it has its downsides. But...if we're going to give them all this power and authority, it really should relatively easy for us to take it back
  • Grand Gentleman 2011/08/25 13:49:37 (edited)
    Grand Gentleman
    +5
    Things are just starting to get bad. More "World of Class Warfare" propaganda.

Part 1:
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/w...

Part 2:
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/w...

What about the most popular drug in the world, alcohol?

2014/12/22 07:09:59