Congress vs. Our Military............pass this on!

snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques 2011/02/25 03:00:18
Many don't realize that upon returning home after serving 20 years, members of the military get 50% - what they actually get is 50% of their base pay, which equates to about 1/3 of their active-duty pay. If a military member stays for 30 years, they get 75% of their base pay, which equates to about 50% of their active-duty pay -- all of which makes the point of this blog even more emphatic!

Young men and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay - meanwhile, politicians hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital - protected by these same men and women, and receive full pay retirement after serving one term. It just does not make any sense.
Monday on Fox news they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans. This will get national attention if other news networks will broadcast it. When you add this to the below, just where will all of it stop?

35 states have filee lawsuits against the Federal Government. Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention!

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on to your other friends and family members:

This is an idea that we should address.
For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.
If each person that receives this will forward it on to 20 people, in three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution states: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

........You are one of my 20!

• patriot88000 2011/03/18 17:04:39
    patriot88000
    Contintal Convention would be a good idea, but it could potentially be a disasterious idea for our Republic, as there is no safeguard currently in place to restrict the politicians from removing our current rights we now have, and this would allow lawmakers at the Con Con (as it is sometimes referred to) to re-write the Constitution to totally eliminate all of our rights and control by force everything the people of this nation say or do, eccentially turning our nation into a Monarchy once again. Unless safeguards are put into place limiting what laws or amendments currently in place could be changed, then a Constitutional Convention would be a bad idea.
    Actually I think the people of this nation should be able to vote on resolutions at a Constitutional Convention, and on other proposed Bills as well, that way the rights we currently have could be protected and blocked from being removed and other safeguards could be put into place to equalize the imput that the citizens of this nation have. The citizens of this nation need to be able to have much more imput into the legislative process to be able to stablize government.Salaries of politicians should be voted on by the citizens as well as Term limits for the politicians. A single term should be the limit politicians are allo...
    Actually I think the people of this nation should be able to vote on resolutions at a Constitutional Convention, and on other proposed Bills as well, that way the rights we currently have could be protected and blocked from being removed and other safeguards could be put into place to equalize the imput that the citizens of this nation have. The citizens of this nation need to be able to have much more imput into the legislative process to be able to stablize government.Salaries of politicians should be voted on by the citizens as well as Term limits for the politicians. A single term should be the limit politicians are allowed to serve, then they go back to work in their home districts or wherever they wish.No Pensions, lawmakers have to follow the same laws they enact for the citizens all the way up to and including the President and the joint Chiefs of Staff.
  • Jobs for Americans 2011/03/03 03:05:20
    Jobs for Americans
    I am copying this and sending to my friends! thanks for letting me know...
  • CHUCK 2011/02/27 01:23:44
    CHUCK
    +3
    THAT S WHY MOST CONGRESSMAN AND THEIR KIDS RATHER NOT BE IN THE MILITARY,,
  • BladeCaptain 2011/02/27 00:30:35
    BladeCaptain
    +3
    I am a 22 year Military Retiree, after taxes and what my ex wife of two years gets, I have about $600 a month. Though most of my friends could not tell I'm at 30% Disability. That happens when you spend time in hostile work environments. My point is that either I could spend all my time complaining about the short falls of serving all those years with dick for compensation. Or I can go work another 20 years and still have dick for compensation. I'm thinking I should get into politics as hell they are probably getting more after 5 years than I'm getting after 20+
  • jrizzo BladeCa... 2011/02/27 01:40:18 (edited)
    jrizzo
    +2
    Sad to say but Thanks your for your service my friend
  • Nancy~P... BladeCa... 2011/02/27 01:49:59
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +4
    We have military retirement pension as well and noticed that the Government has extracted yet another 30 bucks per month from the total. If this is not taxing, I don't know what is. It is a slap in the face and with rising costs and gas prices etc...It is insulting. I am sure that Congress is not feeling any of this because they have increased their pay to meet their cost of living accordingly.
  • halfmiletrack 2011/02/26 23:05:41
    halfmiletrack
    PLEASE RESEARCH FIRST. THIS IS URBAN MYTH. Here's the real scuttlebutt.

Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.

Members of Congress are not eligible for a pension until they reach the age of 50, but only if they've completed 20 years of service. Members are eligible at any age after completing 25 years of service or after they reach the age of 62. Please also note that Members of Congress have to serve at least 5 years to even receive a pension.
  • NadiaSo... halfmil... 2011/09/22 17:16:38
    NadiaSofia17
    +1
    Wow, only 5 years of Service in a cushioned office position?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that suppose to be better than 20 years in a combat zone?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the loss of life or limb (and mental health for that matter) doesn't mean diddly squat?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NadiaSo... halfmil... 2011/09/22 17:20:02
    NadiaSofia17
    +3
    Oh, and how do you go from saying that they will only receive a pension after completing 20 years of service in your first sentence to saying in your last sentence that they have to serve at least 5 years to receive a pension? Either you worded this all wrong which is me giving you benefit of the doubt or your not thinking straight today, to say that in the nicest way possible.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2011/02/26 21:45:04
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +2
    I am for this amendment. I will spread it as far as I can.
  • Hamm0ckjames 2011/02/26 21:21:47
    Hamm0ckjames
    +4
    Our Troops are our Hero's. When I served in the ARMY, we were required to sign away our rights. And did so willingly to fight for, support, and sacrifice for our country if need be. Only to be spit upon when coming home, Lied to from congress, accused of being murderers and baby killers, protested by smart ass rich college kids that had the NERVE to call us cowards. And now in this day and age the Government is STILL turning it's back on our Nations Hero's all the while getting RICH off us taxpayers.
  • 12 Tone Melody 2011/02/26 16:23:23 (edited)
  • SmileyKat 2011/02/26 16:20:14
    SmileyKat
    +1
    i think thats that those 35/38 states are correct
  • TD 2011/02/26 14:32:33
    TD
    +2
    It is about time that this problem has been addressed...I absolutely back the the proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution
  • Poodebah 2011/02/26 10:17:19
    Poodebah
    +2
    I agree. Our troops need to be paid higher. How the military budget is utilized needs to be completely streamlined along with the overlying bureaucracy so that they do not HAVE to spend all of the money granted to them in the budget, and so that the majority of the money goes into giving the soldiers better wages and pensions, as well as into equipping them with better weaponry, better armour, and so forth.
  • Pegasis 2011/02/26 06:25:18
    Pegasis
    +4
    No question we do not treat our returning military right. No question that congress treats themselves VERY well. No question whatsoever that some are far more 'equal' than others.
  • Jezzy 2011/02/26 05:45:16
    Jezzy
    +2
    Part of me hesitates, since I would like some citations, but I'd rather spread it and end up being false than doing nothing and pretty much condoning it. This fudgetry has to stop. Tweeted and posted on FB
  • Faith † 2011/02/26 04:18:32 (edited)
    Faith †
    +3
    Ohhh the madness
    banner cast to my entire SH list.
  • snell/G... Faith † 2011/02/26 05:17:11
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +2
    lol - ur so phunny Faith.......;0)))
  • Faith † snell/G... 2011/02/26 05:23:10 (edited)
    Faith †
    +2
    not trying to be phunny. I'm just so sick of it that laughing is the only way not to cry.

The day will come when people are willing to do what's right. At the very lest I pray that day comes soon.
    Better Dead than Commie.
  • snell/G... Faith † 2011/03/01 18:54:35
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    okay. lol - ur NOT so phunny Faith.....;0))))
  • SharonJohnson 2011/02/26 03:21:16
    SharonJohnson
    +4
    Our men and women of the military should have the best of everything great pay, health care and all the help that we can give their families. They have given their all and best we should give them no less OUr government should only be given what the people say they get
  • patriot... SharonJ... 2011/03/18 17:22:00
    patriot88000
    I agree, but most importantly our military should be given a defined mission. If we are fighting a defined enemy in a foreign nation, then when the mission is over we should bring our troops back home instead of leaving them overseas for 30-40-or 50 years. Our troops could serve us much better on the Mexican border protecting our interests and rebuilding our own economy by spending their money here in the united states, rather than spending their money on foreign soils and protecting foreign nations from nothing. Foreign nations should be made to defend their own soils from attack by funding their own military from their own treasury and this would bring a huge savings to the united states of America.
  • Megajo 2011/02/26 02:40:51
    Megajo
    +3
    Snell: For whatever reason, "reply" won't let me. No matter. Anyway, you've confused me--really easy to do now-a-days. I didn't understand your reply of "sounds like you just did." Did you mean you thought I negated your excellent info post? If so, you read too fast. I meant I won't add to, confirm, or take away from the info until I've had a chance to research. It doesn't matter anymore who the info comes from. I learned that lesson the hard way. i.e. years of believing my government would never lie to me on the really important issues. Hah!
  • snell/G... Megajo 2011/02/26 02:54:24 (edited)
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +3
    no not at all Mega - sometimes my comprehension is a little quick and dry. what 'i' meant was your understanding of the subject was so thorough right now that it sounded like to 'moi' that your research was well underway at present. Personally i believe like you. we ALL have grown up with a certain amount of 'trust' and respect of those in authority (well, with exception of the last two generations that is) - i mean if you can't trust your 'superiors' then who CAN u trust right. So they don't deserve that trust and were ALL finding that out now.
  • Megajo snell/G... 2011/02/26 19:02:13
    Megajo
    +2
    Ahhhh. Okay--we're back on the same page again. I had an interesting thought though as I once again followed our conversation from beginning to end. A real eye-opener. Not only just for here, but also applicable in our daily lives. Although, in our daily activities, we have one more advantage in communication; we have facial expressions/body language clues to add to our subconscious interpretation of what we're hearing. Anyway, it struck me how easily we can either miscommunicate or misunderstand a communication. There are many reasons for that which I won't get into, but suffice it to say--It can create a real problem if *instant offense* is taken without attempts to clarify first. That's it. Just rambling. :)
  • snell/G... Megajo 2011/03/01 18:58:50
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    ramble on - truth! that is something which for my blogging years i evaluated almost immediately. Although cyber space and blogging is the wave of the future both now and later - and for all its 'instantaneous-ness' it is just as you say very problematic in that due to the lack of the other 'senses' written expression is at best limited.
  • Megajo snell/G... 2011/03/02 01:44:11
    Megajo
    Snell: So true. Then, when you add in a family culture, area dialects, city. town, or country background, etc. a powder-keg emotional response is waiting to express, in fact has expressed on more than one occasion here on SH. :)
  • S. Gompers 2011/02/26 01:11:26
    S. Gompers
    +5
    Don't forget these politicians also get their medical insurance for life as well. They have the best medical care in the world while they throw the rest of us under the bus.
  • enlightened one 2011/02/26 01:06:51
    enlightened one
    +2
    I was aware and disgusted by how our elected members of congress have voted themselves in hefty pay, exorbitant retirement benefits, and unending health insurance at the expense of every U.S. citizen. Ron Paul is the only congressman that has told everyone that he believes this to be unconstitutional and returns his yearly check for these perks back into the Congressional Budget Office.
  • Marty9957 2011/02/26 00:11:10
    Marty9957
    +1
    Copied and passed.
  • DavidPo... Marty9957 2011/03/30 20:50:17
    DavidPorter
    cool, way to copy & paste a complete lie. i guess that makes you a liar also?
  • Marty9957 DavidPo... 2011/04/05 23:25:47
    Marty9957
    I suppose you are one of those intelligent libs. I can tell by your comment.
  • Paxfa Mscipio 2011/02/25 22:41:59
    Paxfa Mscipio
    +3
    Well, I guess it's it true that our goverment loves soldiers and dislikes veterans.
  • CharltonJones 2011/02/25 22:11:58
  • snell/G... Charlto... 2011/02/26 00:07:52
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    well, the nation may be grateful - but obviously Washington isn't.
  • EM1-SS 2011/02/25 21:50:34
    EM1-SS
    +5
    A military career is NOT a road to riches. I know I did NOT remain on submarines (~9 years) due to financial incentives.

God bless those that put in 20-30 years serving this great nation under arms . . . especially when those great Americans are defending even the likes of John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Jane Fonda, and the Clintons.
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2011/02/25 21:32:46
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +3
    I just broadcast this on my facebook page.
  • snell/G... Catnip ... 2011/02/26 00:09:21
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +3
    thax.....btw, cute kittie....
  • Bonboyl 2011/02/25 20:39:35
    Bonboyl
    +2
    I do not believe this post. I know the Congressional pension plan is a rip off. But, I don't believe they get 100% pay when retiring after only one term. It's not as bad as this post describes. Presidents are another story. Full pay for the rest of their lives after 1 term. B.S.!

2014/09/16 02:59:26