Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

snipe 2011/12/16 14:50:10

In the words of Neil Armstrong: "That's one small step for Man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

The bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/16/congress-over...

• 2sly 2011/12/17 11:41:38
    2sly
    +3
    So what the hell am I supposed to do with the 200 light bulbs I'm hoarding.
  • Defend ... 2sly 2011/12/17 12:07:01
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    keep them always bee prepared
  • 2sly Defend ... 2011/12/17 12:28:08
    2sly
    +1
    Guess I will.
  • Wahvlvke 2sly 2011/12/17 13:24:18
    Wahvlvke
    +2
    Hang on ... we're dealing with politicians here.
  • richie 2sly 2011/12/17 18:08:30
  • Bob Pooba 2011/12/17 11:07:21
    Bob Pooba
    +1
    Well, good..
  • ZERO 2011/12/17 10:18:40
    ZERO
    +6
    Besides natural light, incandescent lightbulbs are the healthiest lighting option. The light doesn't flash at high frequency like compact florescent (CF) bulbs. I don't think the flashing is good for your brain.

CF bulbs also give off electromagnetic (EMF) radiation, incandescent bulbs don't.

Florescent bulbs create a phenomena called 'dirty electricity', this is where the high frequency of the bulb is partially transmitted into the entire circuit creating a choppy signal over top of the normal 60Hz sine wave. This causes the entire circuit to release high frequency EMF, and the circuit can run throughout a house. Incandescent bulbs actually help clean up dirty electricity by absorbing the high frequency spikes.

Electromagnetic-hypersensitivity (EHS) is a condition where people experience various unpleasant symptoms when exposed to electomagnetic fields. It's becoming more and more common and CF bulbs are a contributing factor.

"The reported symptoms of EHS include headache, fatigue, stress, sleep disturbances, skin symptoms like prickling, burning sensations and rashes, pain and ache in muscles and many other health problems. Whatever its cause, EHS symptoms are a real and sometimes a disabling problem for the affected persons." https://secure.wikimedia.org/...
  • Lefty ZERO 2011/12/17 13:18:23
    Lefty
    +3
    Thanks,
    I was hoping someone would point this out.
  • Wahvlvke ZERO 2011/12/17 13:26:35
    Wahvlvke
    +3
    And then there is the hum of the ballast. Research has shown it to be highly irritating.
  • Ramon 2011/12/17 10:12:36
    Ramon
    +3
    Multiple Mercury filled glass bulbs, lit with aid of electric current, in every house in the country....what could go wrong?
  • the fuze 2011/12/17 10:08:00
    the fuze
    Meh.
  • tony 2011/12/17 09:16:55
  • AnnS (Anti-RP2012] 2011/12/17 09:06:56 (edited)
    AnnS (Anti-RP2012]
    +4
    Oh the politics of a single light bulb; this almost started another world war. But thanks to Congress. After all the years of getting rid of toxic chemicals and mercury out of thermometers, lead out of paint etc.......we would have no choice but to buy "mercury contained" light bulbs. if broken, you have to vacate the room, special cleaning and call in an enviromental cleaning company. Bet ole groper green gore had stocks in those companies.
  • Zombie ... AnnS (A... 2011/12/17 15:06:53
    Zombie Saddam
    That's a lie. If you break a CFL bulb, nothing happens. More disinformation.
  • AnnS (A... Zombie ... 2011/12/17 16:01:19
    AnnS (Anti-RP2012]
    +2
    Ecology estimates that approximately 10 million lamps are disposed of to the trash yearly in Washington, amounting to some 400 to 500 pounds of toxic mercury released to the environment and accumulated in landfills

The item must be disposed of at a recycling facility or drop off area according to state and local laws

Mercury-containing Light Bulbs/Lamps
    Reducing the release of mercury into the environment—ESSB 5543 passed the Washington State Legislature in 2010. It establishes a producer-financed product stewardship program for the collection, recycling, and disposal of mercury-containing lights. Producers of Compact Fluorescent (CFL) lights must participate in and fully implement a product stewardship program by January 1, 2013. Beginning in 2013, no CFLs may be placed into the garbage. Ecology's Waste 2 Resources office is working with producers to implement this take-back program. The bill also prohibits the sale of bulk mercury by June 30, 2012.

Chapter 70.95M RCW—Mercury is Washington's mercury-reduction law.

•Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the breakage. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust throughout the area and could potentially contaminate the vacuum.
    •Keep people and pets away from the breakage area until the cleanup is complete.
    •Venti...

Mercury-containing Light Bulbs/Lamps

•Ventilate the area by opening windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before returning to begin the cleanup. Mercury vapor levels will be lower by then.
    •For maximum protection and if you have them, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the sharp glass.
    •Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass container with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.1 A glass jar with a good seal works best to contain any mercury vapors inside.2
    •Next, begin collecting the smaller pieces and dust. You can use two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards to scoop up pieces.
    •Pat the area with the sticky side of duct tape, packing tape or masking tape to pick up fine particles. Wipe the area with a wet wipe or damp paper towel to pick up even finer particles.
    •Put all waste and materials into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup that may have been contaminated with mercury. Label the container as “Universal Waste - broken lamp.”
    •Remove the container with the breakage and cleanup materials from your home. This is particularly important if you do not have a glass container.
    •Continue ventilating the room for several hours.
    •Wash your hands and face.
    •Take the glass container with the waste material to a facility that accepts “universal waste” for recycling. To determine where your municipality has made arrangements for recycling of this type of waste, call your municipal office or find your town in this list municipal collection sites (MS Excel format) (pdf format).
    •When a break happens on carpeting, homeowners may consider removing throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women.
    •Finally, if the carpet is not removed, open the window to the room during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.
    The next time you replace a lamp, consider putting a drop cloth on the floor so that any accidental breakage can be easily cleaned up. If consumers remain concerned regarding safety, they may consider not utilizing fluorescent lamps in situations where they could easily be broken. Consumers may also consider avoiding CFL usage in bedrooms or carpeted areas frequented by infants, small children, or pregnant women. Finally, consider not storing too many used/spent lamps before recycling as that may increase your chances of breakage. Don’t forget to properly recycle your used fluorescent bulbs so they don’t break and put mercury into our environment.

-----------------------------...
  • Zombie ... AnnS (A... 2011/12/17 16:06:03
    Zombie Saddam
    You're lengthy quote from the Maine Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management flies in the face of your original comment that it would essentially condemn your house to drop a CFL bulb. You can clean it up, making sure you don't cut yourself on the glass, pick up all the fine particles, ventilate the area, and then vacuum t he carpet afterwards. Hardly seems like a Nuclear Fallout zone.
  • AnnS (A... Zombie ... 2011/12/17 16:16:04
    AnnS (Anti-RP2012]
    But that is NOT what YOU said

"That's a lie. If you break a CFL bulb, "nothing happens". More disinformation."

YES, something does happen................and it ain't good clean air.
  • snipe AnnS (A... 2011/12/17 17:15:45
    snipe
    +1
    Here are the EPA guidelines. Sounds like it's a little more than "nothing happens" to me, too!
    http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcle...
  • AnnS (A... snipe 2011/12/17 19:55:19
    AnnS (Anti-RP2012]
    +1
    Thanks for that backup; we have been warned for years. You know to always follow the money trail too. (See johnd below)
  • snipe AnnS (A... 2011/12/18 00:58:43
    snipe
    +2
    I don't know why the libs are so upset about this since it's a Bush Bill; you would think they would be happy just for that reason. Of course 99% of 'em are Environmentalist wackos and that might explain it.
  • johnc Zombie ... 2011/12/17 16:47:20
    johnc
    +1
    mercury contamination is real my friend. I think it is GE that makes these in China. Odd that Obamas jobs advisor is the CEO of GE. Who is shipping GE jobs and technology to China. What a guy this Obama fellow is.
  • cccp~ma... Zombie ... 2011/12/18 02:16:51
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    Trying to save energy comes back and bites you in the ass
  • ProudPr... AnnS (A... 2011/12/17 15:20:41
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Do you make this up as you go along? If you break one of the new light bulbs, you clean it up and throw it in the trash. Is that too hard for you?
  • AnnS (A... ProudPr... 2011/12/17 19:57:15
    AnnS (Anti-RP2012]
    +1
    Do you think I want to expose my family to the environment or in a room where one was broken.

Wait; EPA Swat Team.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS 2011/12/17 08:26:49
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    +1
    Wont effect me one bit.I bought a entire storage locker of the normal bulbs on STORAGE WARS.I need no stinking incandescent light bulbs 10 years after I am dead,
  • Dee 2011/12/17 07:45:06
    Dee
    +2
    Whew! I was running out of space to store my stockpile.
  • cybernestical 2011/12/17 07:44:39
    cybernestical
    +1
    I've been using the bulbs many years before Obama administration.
    What is wrong with some people?
  • #Justic... cyberne... 2011/12/17 09:37:57
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Did you notice that they're blaming this one on Obama when the bill was signed in 2007? Lord help, so many idiots spewing their stupidity on this thread.
  • ProudPr... #Justic... 2011/12/17 15:22:59
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Why not? They blame him for the 9/11 attacks, the Cuban Missile Crisis and World War II, so why would they stop there.
  • DDogbreath 2011/12/17 07:17:19
    DDogbreath
    +2
    It must have been like a light bulb going off in their heads!

light bulb heads

Maybe they can get down to business and do something like get rod of the "Patriot Act" or kill McCain and Lieberman's Nightmarish Detention Bill before it "flickers out".
  • ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +4
    Yes I just love the mercury and clean up procedures in the new light bulbs!
  • AlexBlick 2011/12/17 07:03:09
    AlexBlick
    +1
    I think its good that they overturned the incandescent ban. I, however, do not really use incandescent bulbs anymore because they use too much energy. Since I dislike CFLS, I have decided to go with LED's even-though they are more expensive. I have LED bulbs from Phillips, and I think they are pretty much on par with a 60 watt incandescent bulb in terms of brightness, color, and without the negatives of a CFL.
  • #Justic... AlexBlick 2011/12/17 09:42:10
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    I've been using compact fluorescent bulbs for close to 20 years & refuse to use incandescent bulbs ever again. The CFL's do cost less when you look at them in terms of longevity of use. I've gotten at least 2 years & sometimes 4 years worth of usage out of one bulb. The regular light bulbs I was replacing monthly.
  • dallasjoe 2011/12/17 06:31:46
    dallasjoe
    +3
    look at the 2007 it was introduced by a GOP Member for they made CFL in his district But you are blaming Obama who was the President in 2007 that signed the orginal law into effect Mister Bush
  • #Justic... dallasjoe 2011/12/17 09:43:20
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    I noticed but these idiots never pass up an opportunity to bash Obama. Even when the blame rightfully belongs to Bush.
  • the fuze #Justic... 2011/12/17 10:03:31
    the fuze
    +1
    Of course none of the problems in this world would have happened if G.W. hadn't eaten that damn apple off the tree...
  • #Justic... the fuze 2011/12/17 10:33:58
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    What makes you think I'm gonna blame Bush for Adam's sin? I believe in laying the blame squarely where it lies.
  • the fuze #Justic... 2011/12/17 10:36:25
    the fuze
    +1
    Sorry, I just get so tired of both the Obama, AND the Bush-Bashing, and I'm not a fan of either by the way. Sorry I took it out on your post.
  • #Justic... the fuze 2011/12/17 10:38:52
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Apology accepted. At least you're honorable enough to admit when you're wrong. It's refreshing & I wish it would happen more often on here.
  • the fuze #Justic... 2011/12/17 10:41:44
    the fuze
    +1
    It was actually a weak attempt at humor (it's 4:30 in the morning here).

2014/10/25 00:42:11