Come on just admit it, you just don't like the fact that a Black Guy is in charge?

Bob™ the Union Ironworker 2010/02/18 14:28:18
Come on admit it. You don't like it when he gets on television and tells you what is best for 'your" Country. Now before you start screaming there goes Bob the "ironhead" using the "race card" again, please read on. Because Well, I am not really. I am just making an observation and believe me, I don't think that everyone that is opposed to what the President is trying to do is a racist. I just think some of you don't like the idea of a black man telling you what is best for you. Although some of it is blatant, some is thinly veiled but some is unintentional and subliminal. I have had the wonderful opportunity in life to gain a unique perspective.

I grew up in a very racially diverse neighborhood. My parents didn't participate with the majority of others in the "white flight" to a new neighborhood when the first upwardly mobile minority overcame the prejudice of the real estate agents and moved in next door. My best friends are a mix of Hispanics, South East Asians, Blacks, Poles, Lithuanians, Italians and a few Swedes. But don't get me wrong, I am a middle class white male and not forgetful of the opportunities and advantages that provided me.

Because of my upbringing I can truly say I can say race played no role in my choice to vote for President Obama, nor did anyone tell me who to vote for, who I vote for is based mainly on my wallet. When Democrats are in charge I seem to make more money. Is that selfish? Yes, but like my Dad used to tell me "if you want to live like a Republican vote for a Democrat". Now don't get me wrong, I am no "saint". I do carry certain prejudices and I have a tendency to be impatient and short with people. But I do pray everyday to overcome those two shortcomings. My shortcomings became evident the first time I met Barack Obama.

Every Labor Day, all the Ironworkers from around my home town and the other labor organizations participate in a huge parade. We, Ironworkers, put on our tool belts, fill our bolt bags full of candy and pass it out to the children watching the parade. The kids love to see us walk by with our spud wrenchs clanging together.

pass children watching parade kids love walk spud wrenchs clanging

Well it was prior to the parade and I was not only helping to get things set up, I was also dealing with my young teen son who was doing everything in the world to make me want to strangle him, when this tall thin black man and senate hopeful came up to me and asked me if he could take up a moment of my time. And what did I say? Was it this wonderful Kodak moment? Hell no. I shook his hand and let him introduce himself. He said, "I am Barack Obama and I am running for the United States Senate." And what was my response, with my diverse background and all? I responded with, "Please tell me you are not one of those radical Muslims out of Chicago, because if you are don't waste my time because you can't get elected." I still can't believe that came out of my mouth but he took the time to talk to me. He actually bummed a couple of Cigarettes, explaining how his wife wanted him to quit. I took the time to listen to what he had to say and more importantly he took the time to listen to what I had to say. And in that half hour or so, I knew that man was going to do great things. When he spoke at the Democratic National Convention, I grabbed my son and said "Hey Nick remember that guy."

So even I can look back and see my prejudices come to light. I just wish people would do a self examination on why they do not like the first family. I, swear, before I began blogging, I never realized that there where so many synonyms for the word "uppity". It is disheartening when I see so many polls and blogs are just setups to bash the President and First Lady over their appearance or their background. Many of the people on these blogs are such polar opposites they have either been blocked by or have blocked those that don't share the same views. So their posts end up resembling Klan Rallies with them all getting together and lynching the image of Obama and the first Lady. I am not saying that everyone that engages in this is racist and it is fine to bash someone, lord knows I bash Palin, but there is a point where you overstep decency. Like I said, not everyone is like this and I miss the policy and economic debates I once had. But let me say racism is alive and well, because even though I grew up in a diverse neighborhood, I still have access to that middle class white male world. I hear peoples conversation at my social club, which by the way the way has an all male and all white membership. It has been a Scandinavian Male Club since 1908 and is not racist in nature. But people do let their guard down when they think you are one of them. So I hear from some of my fellow members what hey think of Obama complete with racial slurs and all. So don't deny that racism is not part of it. But thankfully the majority of the members feel like I do and are open-minded. I just think we should all examine what is the motivation behind our feelings, are they legitimate concerns or is it prejudice or a lack of trust of those that are different.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/politics-gov...

• Jester 2010/02/18 18:04:42
    Jester
    +89
    This post really screams of desperation. It did make me chuckle though. Show a little backbone instead of being content to be BO's[...]

• ChathamAve C. C. R... 2010/02/19 04:11:08
    ChathamAve
    +6
    Why must you be so aggressive and mean spirited? Did you not realize when you joined this site that people are allowed to state their opinions and their opinions may differ from yours? Lighten up (no pun intended) [...]
  • C. C. R... ChathamAve 2010/02/19 16:51:22 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    aahhh..yes...you are so "right"...(no pun intended)...let me offer you a lemon to drink with your strong brew of tea...but may I make a suggestion...please cut back on your favorite dessert...SPAM...due to that is what you are serving here...and quite frankly...we do not endorse that rotten meat...but please my dear....go ahead and eat it....
  • Bob™ th... C. C. R... 2010/02/19 17:20:53
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +1
    Here they are proving my point they even turned my question into an excuse to create an Obama bashing question.

• C. C. R... Bob™ th... 2010/02/19 17:52:20
    C. C. Rider
    Yes...Dan R is running a blog off yours and now this one...they have "blog envy" over you lol...how do you think they get their ideas? Lets face it ....an originial thought would put them in a coma...thats why they don't use them..ps...you have another fake profile...chathamave....she only joined less then 6 days ago and ck out those friends of hers...lol...she has been quite busy for a newcomer..anyway I reconize her too...she is a spammer and you would think at least they would change a little bit of their "rants" to where I don't remember them...lol...ahhhh yes I bring out the best of them...lol
  • Foxhound BN0 2010/02/18 19:20:33
    Foxhound BN0
    +5
    That's just like a Democrat bumming off of you before he even got elected! LOL Some connie would have said it if they haven't already. That is a wonderful story. I would love to have met Barack when he was still just Barack. You lucky dog!
  • Jenny 2010/02/18 19:13:46 (edited)
    Jenny
    +12
    I read your blog and you remind me of some who live in my city. I, too, live in a ethnically diverse place and it's liberal. They are middle to working class, pro-union people. I grew up where almost everyone was a member of a union. There used to be mom and pop shops. When I would leave my house, I always got a 'hi,' 'hello' or 'good morning' from people. Things have change a lot since then. I have noticed that racism is something that will never go away. There will always be conflict but I am very worried about the nativism (who is fit to be American), racial prejudice and the extreme 'patriotism' that is going on now. I am worried because the people you speak of talk in code. They say things to excite some white people and divide the country.
  • Bob™ th... Jenny 2010/02/18 19:23:42
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +5
    It is okay to dislike people just don't do because of they way they look or pre judge them. I think that is all that anyone wants. Lord knows there are alot on the right that don't like me.
  • Jenny Bob™ th... 2010/02/18 20:14:33
    Jenny
    +3
    I agree on all counts.
  • Foxhoun... Jenny 2010/02/18 19:27:52
    Foxhound BN0
    +7
    You are right about the haters. They are called connies, or contards, or cons, or right wing nut jobs, or loons or pretty much anything that describes their nasty brand of nazi fascist rhetoric and propaganda. They are a dangerous threat to America as a free and honorable nation and we can't let them hide in the shadows doing their dirty work any more. Thank you for saying what others are afraid to say.
  • Jenny Foxhoun... 2010/02/18 20:15:37
    Jenny
    +4
    I hope that this will open some eyes here on SH.
  • Bubbles23 Foxhoun... 2010/02/18 23:36:44
    Bubbles23
    +5
    wow! keep watching cnn and msnbc. you must be one of the 3% that are watching. pathetic.
  • Foxhoun... Bubbles23 2010/02/18 23:56:08
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    BAaAAaaaaa connie! BaaaaaAAAaAAAAA!!!!
  • ME Jenny 2010/02/18 20:04:26
    ME
    +4
    You got all that right!
  • Jenny ME 2010/02/18 20:15:09
    Jenny
    +3
    Thanks ME!
  • FATEEN Jenny 2010/02/18 23:47:05
    FATEEN
    +1
    Obama is going to be here in Las Vegas at 6 pm right across from where I work at!!

He will be at Green Valley High School on the corner of Arroyo Grande and
    W. Warm Springs Rd. It will be cool if he comes in here! LOL!!
  • Bubbles23 Jenny 2010/02/18 23:35:35
    Bubbles23
    +8
    talking in code? sounds like another obama paranoid loon.
  • Bboop44... Jenny 2010/02/19 05:30:04
    Bboop4444plus
    +6
    Yes, I agree I have heard an awful lot of code and speak that points and divides our country. It is being spoken by our President.
  • FindingHeartInThisCrazy World 2010/02/18 19:01:48
    FindingHeartInThisCrazy World
    +5
    thank you..i did not even remember that Obama is black until the media dragged on every black celebrity and interviewed them about how they feel that a black man is Presdent...the media stirs up so much, makes so much of everything...it grates on people..twists them up and stirs up unconcious fear...watch them..watch how they so often poke at things and change words or context...i catch chris matthews doing this ALL the time...he is by far the worst instigator on MSNBC..and every single reporter/commentator on Fox "News" is pretty much all about making things up or twisting things around to purposely get the hatred going...the media, by and large, does not help us and certainly makes Obama's already very challenging job much more impossible..every word he utters or does not utter and should have uttered is torn down and reconstructed and it makes me ill...

Chris Matthews needs to be called out for what he does...please watch him carefully...I started noticing his tricks with words about 2 months ago..he talks so fast it is hard to catch...but watch very carefully...he changes words Obama has used to more dramatic words and he twists the context...I am angry and and fascinated at the same time...we need to be so careful to not be pulled in...so careful..

I feel bad for Obama....

I feel bad for Obama...it has to be frustrating to him...he won't be able to get a second term...his Presidency has been tampered with non-stop by the left and the right and I wish more of us stuck in the middle would stand up and speak out about how we need it to stop.
  • Michele Finding... 2010/02/18 20:51:57
    Michele
    +2
    Good comment.
  • Bubbles23 Finding... 2010/02/18 23:38:08
    Bubbles23
    +11
    I feel bad for the usa. the guy is the worst prez in history. whether black white blue or green. awful.
  • Carol 2010/02/18 18:59:19
    Carol
    +2
    Good post
  • FATEEN 2010/02/18 18:53:48
    FATEEN
    +9
    We really need to get past this race thing, seriously. The color of your skin does not matter. I've seen people of all skin hues act in ways that are not appealling and likeable by me yet I know its the person who is inside is what counts.

I didn't like former President Bush all too well and yet I have never said the things I have heard concerning President Obama and the First Family. I have never said anything derogatory concerning former President Bush's daughters antics and behavior or anything.

I learned this about myself last year. My mother did a geneology check or what ever online with my older sister mailing in some documents to some place and found out that our great, great, grandfather on my mothers side was a white man. I don't remember the name but he lived in Pennsylvania where I am from. He owned slaves at a time when it was taboo to own slaves un north. In addition to that my fathers side we couldn't trace who exactly our great, great, grandfather was yet what she did find out was that I am a decendent from the Sawnee Indian tribe in Pennsylvania as well!!

I'm not technically black, you trace your lineage from the fathers side!! LOL!!! What do you know. We are all human beings, when are we going to realize this.

What I wish is that people stop hiding behind...

What I wish is that people stop hiding behind these masks on these blog sights and get like me and show who you really are. I don't think your real friends would be too happy about you if they truly knew the way many of us are really behaving and expressing themselves online.

This goes for the religious nutbags online as well.
  • Bob™ th... FATEEN 2010/02/18 19:33:29
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +2
    Fateen, I also want you to know, I am fine with someone being Muslims. I am being Honest with repeating what I said. My point was, I prejudged him to be Muslim because of his name, and prejudged the American People in thinking they wouldn't elect a Muslim. As far as I am concerned you are what you say you are, If you say you are black then you are, I consider myself a Quebecois American, I am well over french canadian, the main word is American but we all can embrace our culture this melting pot is what makes us great.
  • FATEEN Bob™ th... 2010/02/18 23:16:04
    FATEEN
    +1
    I'm not tripping on that, you're alright with me. Honesty is the best thing we all can do for ourselves. Who doesn't misjudge people? I do it as well. Yet what many people do and do not do is admit when they are wrong.
  • FATEEN Bob™ th... 2010/02/18 23:43:54
    FATEEN
    +1
    Good post. I remember this one guy was on here telling us about when he was in the Vietnam war. He ran up on a few of his buddies who where torn to pieces by a rocket. It was two white guys and one black. It was sad because he was telling us about the sadness of the black man fighting for a country that hated him. I cannot express it in the same manner as he did. Yet it was touching, I wish I had the link.

Its funny how I never see these racist dogs spew their hatred in my face. I'm Muslim, I pray in my store where I work. Customers come in in the middle of my prayer and they aren't running for the hills or anything. They wait patiently. In fact a customer came in to conduct an interview asking questions about Islam in general and questions as to what prompted me to convert and how has the teachings of Islam improved your well-being?

These people online who hide behind avatars and are spewing all kinds of crazy mess I hate them because they are a bunch of adults acting like little children. Like on that show South Park the children are reasonable and the parents are so unreasonable.
  • Bubbles23 FATEEN 2010/02/18 23:39:13
    Bubbles23
    +9
    you know, i wish obama and his bride didn't sit in rev wrights hate whitey church for years. very very racist.
  • Sprout 2010/02/18 18:07:20
  • Foxhoun... Sprout 2010/02/18 19:30:50
  • Jester 2010/02/18 18:04:42
    Jester
    +89
  • Bob™ th... Jester 2010/02/18 18:22:30
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +6
    Lol Jester you are at least consistent.

[...]
  • Foxhoun... Bob™ th... 2010/02/18 19:36:22
    Foxhound BN0
    +4
    LOL Have you done a blog or poll with that one?
  • Bob™ th... Foxhoun... 2010/02/18 19:48:14
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +3
    no just in the politics and government group, feel free to do one and I will share it and get you some action.
  • Jester Bob™ th... 2010/02/19 15:18:45
    Jester
    +21
    Not at all. [...]

You seem like a resonantly intelligent person.Why on earth would you get a sense of satisfaction out of letting the government run your life? I suppose there are certain people would just lack the intestinal fortitude to accept personal responsibility for anything.
  • shadynook Jester 2010/02/19 21:50:21
    shadynook
    +2
    How was your life when Bush was in office? Better right? Remember this, The media never would say RECESSION until Obama took over but the RECESSION started with BUSH!
  • Jester shadynook 2010/02/19 21:54:51
    Jester
    +10
    I had almost as many difficulties with the Bush administration, but that is not what is on my plate now.

You want to go on playing master and servant with Obama like the rest of the lemmings, then be my guest.

As for me, I stand up for myself.
  • shadynook Jester 2010/02/20 02:59:45 (edited)
    shadynook
    +1
    But the reason your plate looks this way is because of what happened previously. Obama is not perfect and I will say that but the fall of the United State's Financial System happened under Bush's watch.... Is this not correct?
  • melly~t... shadynook 2010/02/20 02:58:43
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +3
    He's just trying to throw big words around to sound intelligent... "resonantly" ???

That word doesn't mean what he thinks it does. He also thinks that anyone to the left of Cheney is in lockstep with Obama. He was in diapers during Bush, sr.
  • C. C. R... Jester 2010/02/18 19:52:27
    C. C. Rider
    +5
    oh Jester...it is you giving us the "yuks" right now!!!!
  • ME Jester 2010/02/18 20:06:00
    ME
    +5
    Bob can proudly look in the mirror; do you even know what a backbone is?
  • Bob™ th... Jester 2010/02/19 14:26:49
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +2
    I see the the KLAN rallie around and raved you up into the top comment. Too bad your comment is nothing more than a personal attack that has nothing to do with the blog. Pretty Pathetic don't you think. We I am glad the KLAN stopped by and raved you it tells me even though they have been blocked for pathetic behavior they still take interest in my blogs.

2014/08/29 10:20:58