Colorado Gov. Refuses To Call For Stronger Gun Laws In Wake Of Theater Shooting

Herb 2012/07/22 18:07:56

By Pat Garofalo on Jul 22, 2012 at 10:19 am

During an appearance on ABC’s This Week, Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-CO) refused to call for stronger gun control laws in the wake of the tragic movie theater shooting in his state. After saying that a reexamination of Colorado’s gun control laws is “going to happen,” Hickenlooper told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that even if there were stronger restrictions, the alleged shooter would “have found something else” to commit the murders:

STEPHANOPOULOS: Does it make you think, at this point, that you need to take another look at Colorado’s gun laws?

HICKENLOOPER: You know, I’m sure that’s going to happen. But I look at this — this wasn’t a Colorado problem, this was a human problem, right, and how we can have such a warped individual and no one around them be aware. I worry that if we got rid of all the guns — certainly, we have so many guns in this country and we do have a lot more gun violence — but even if he didn’t have access to guns, this guy was diabolical, right? He would have found explosives, he would have found something else, some sort of poisonous gas, something to create this horror.

Hickenlooper made similar comments on CNN’s State of the Union. As ThinkProgress noted yesterday, Virginia’s Senate candidates also dodged gun control questions.

The weapon used by the alleged shooter would have been covered by the assault weapons ban that was allowed to expire in 2004. The high capacity clip used was also covered by the ban. Later during ABC’s show, former Gov. Ed Rendell (D-PA) said that no citizen should have access to an assault rifle. “No one should have that kind of killing machine,” he said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258_W_hmQ2M
5:56 min in on quote.

• Wahvlvke 2012/07/23 02:54:53
    I agree with the Gov.
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    He is demonstrating that he is not stupid like crats and tards.
  • Gregaj7 2012/07/23 02:32:48
    I agree with the Gov.
    Good.
  • Wulfdane 2012/07/23 02:19:14 (edited)
    I agree with the Gov.
    Wulfdane
    Good.

Because the fact is, we are safer today than we have been for over 30 years. In fact the murderer rate has been on a steady decline for over 200 years.

But you will never hear this truth from the Liberal media which plays on fear for ratings. For example this killer had illegal weapons in his home, like mortars. Because when someone once to kill bad enough, they will and no law can prevent it.
  • Ol'Dave 2012/07/23 02:13:46
    I agree with the Gov.
    Ol'Dave
    +2
    MENTALLY ILL people don't CARE how restrictive you make gun laws!!!!!!!
  • JoeLove~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/23 02:08:06
    I agree with the Gov.
    JoeLove~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    A sane mind in an insane situation.
  • LADY LI... JoeLove... 2012/07/23 02:23:11 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    DEAR BROTHER & SISTERS, PLEASE HELP ME, I ASK FOR YOUR VOTES &

COMMENT ON MY POLLS @

YOU'LL FIND MORE POLLS FROM LADY LSW. THANKS.
  • blissful 2012/07/23 02:04:34
    I agree with the Gov.
    blissful
    +2
    This guy would have found another way to go ahead with his deadly murder spree. Like the gov. said he could used bombs or tear gas or somekind of homemade gadget to do his dirty deeds..
  • Selkets... blissful 2012/07/23 06:15:04
    Selketskiss
    +1
    He seems to have been quite handy with his home made bombs stumped bomb squad for awhile...wait he found out how to do all that on the internet..ban the internet then..makes about as much sense as banning or restricting guns...and the Joker story..sounds like plan B to me for insanity plea in case he was not shot and killed..
  • blissful Selkets... 2012/07/23 18:42:56
    blissful
    +1
    If the internet were to be banned, then there would be alot of jobs lost and communications interrupted! No! Not gonna work!..
  • les_gvt 2012/07/23 01:50:21
    I say.
    les_gvt
    +1
    The guy is a left wing ding bat, but no fool. He knows that in a state where hunting is the national past time, if he wants to get re-elected, he better lay off the gun issue
  • True~Male 2012/07/23 01:45:00
    I say.
    True~Male
    +1
    leave the gun laws alone
  • Common Sense Conservative 2012/07/23 01:25:13
    I agree with the Gov.
    Common Sense Conservative
    +2
    If you're going to have a gun, make sure you have the proper ammo for it.
  • wilsonmja 2012/07/23 01:19:00
    I agree with the Gov.
    wilsonmja
    +2
    If one person in that theater had a gun and some balls, that statistic would likely be something like 3 dead (including the killer), and 12 injured.
  • boneman1 2012/07/23 01:18:55
    I agree with the Gov.
    boneman1
    +3
    The problem wasn't the guns. This was the result of an unbalanced nut that went over the edge. Gun control isn't going to stop somebody this who apparently planned this for quite some time. You can get illegal guns on the street in any city in the country.
  • Plantgypc 2012/07/23 01:00:35
    I agree with the Gov.
    Plantgypc
    +2
    I saw him on Meet The Press this morning. When he wouldn't call for gun control, the host just cut him off.
  • Dagon 2012/07/23 00:57:20
  • ★Calliope★ 2012/07/23 00:56:08
    I agree with the Gov.
    ★Calliope★
  • Joyce Brand 2012/07/23 00:54:59
    I say.
    Joyce Brand
    +6
    The reason this happened was because the gun laws are already too strong, not that they aren't strong enough. Gun free zones like schools and theaters, etc. are what encourage nut jobs to go on killing rampages where they know they will not be in danger.
  • ★Calliope★ Joyce B... 2012/07/23 00:56:51
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Thank you!

Excellent statement.
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/23 00:53:30
    I agree with the Gov.
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +7
    Gun laws only take guns away from he good guys.
  • jt 2012/07/23 00:47:56
    I agree with the Gov.
    jt
  • MidnightCowboy 2012/07/23 00:43:10
    I say.
    MidnightCowboy
    +1
    There should be stronger gun control laws.
  • Herb Midnigh... 2012/07/23 00:48:03
    Herb
    +4
    why? he is right stricter gun laws wouldnt help. this guy had clamor minds boobie trapped and chemical weapons in his apartment. what if he would have used those instead how many more people would have died. you can make bomb from house hold chemicals and fertilizers, and parts you can buy form a harware store. which kills more people guns or bombs?
    quote
    I worry that if we got rid of all the guns — certainly, we have so many guns in this country and we do have a lot more gun violence — but even if he didn’t have access to guns, this guy was diabolical, right? He would have found explosives, he would have found something else, some sort of poisonous gas, something to create this horror.

ny and IL (Chicago) have the strictest and most complicated gun laws in the country. It doesn't seem to be working. Who is being deterred? Let's see now...
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2...
    8 Dead, 45 Wounded In Weekend Shootings, Stabbings

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2...
    4 Dead, 31 Wounded In Shootings This Weekend

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
    Chicago Shootings: 5 Killed, 21 Wounded Wednesday Into Thursday After Hot Holiday

http://homicides.redeyechicag...
    South Shore sees 2 homicides in 2 days
    TWENTY-SEVEN homicides have been logged so far in July. FIFTY-FIVE homicides were recorded in July...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

quote

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://homicides.redeyechicag...
    South Shore sees 2 homicides in 2 days
    TWENTY-SEVEN homicides have been logged so far in July. FIFTY-FIVE homicides were recorded in July 2011, according to RedEye data.

Victims

July 17
    – Marshall Knights, a 21 year old unknown male, caused by a gunshot in South Shore.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 16
    – Ricky Hankins, a 49 year old black male, caused by a stabbing in Englewood.
    July 15
    – Daniel Green, a 21 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in South Shore.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 14
    – James Bell, a 26 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in North Lawndale.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 14
    – Mark Carney, a 26 year old white male, caused by a gunshot in Lower West Side.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 14
    – Andrew Jackson, a 27 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Auburn Gresham.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 12
    – Martin Tejeda, a 16 year old white male, caused by a gunshot in Gage Park.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 11
    – Maurice Wilson, a 22 year old black male, caused by a stabbing in Near North Side.
    > Read more about this homicide.
    July 11
    – Elle Mills, a 53 year old black female, caused by
  • Dagon Midnigh... 2012/07/23 00:58:30
  • Wahvlvke Midnigh... 2012/07/23 02:58:55
    Wahvlvke
    Like mandatory target practice and mandatory carry for all?
  • Bruce 2012/07/23 00:35:03
    I agree with the Gov.
    Bruce
    +3
    Guns didn't kill these people. The nut job that fired and purchased them did. The Democrats are not going to get stronger gun laws because of this.
  • Yo'Adrienne..AFCL 2012/07/23 00:29:04
    I agree with the Gov.
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +4
    Does anyone KNOW what the SECOND AMENDMENT says??????
    The question is actually.....why wasn't there anyone in that theatre ...carrying legally and able to put a swift stop to this rampage? George Stephanopolus.....eat poop and die!
  • ★Calliope★ Yo'Adri... 2012/07/23 00:57:46
    ★Calliope★
    It was gun-free - I believe the theatre put that in place.
  • Marissa Garreffa 2012/07/23 00:27:47
    I say.
    Marissa Garreffa
    +1
    You don't have to do way with guns just put in some more screening maybe.
  • Dagon Marissa... 2012/07/23 01:00:57
  • Little Angel 2012/07/23 00:27:26
    I agree with the Gov.
    Little Angel
    +2
    I agree with the Governor 100%! This tragedy is not a reason to
    have stronger gun laws since we already have too many of them.
    Soon the only ones who will have guns is the criminals if the
    anti-gun Politicians have their way. I agree there are too many guns
    in the world today but there are still too many people obsessed with
    weapons. Until people learn to stop the hate and bigotry we will need
    guns to defend ourselves.
  • Drue-AFCL 2012/07/23 00:27:25
    I agree with the Gov.
    Drue-AFCL
    I agree with the Gov!
  • aherbert 2012/07/23 00:03:31
    I say.
    aherbert
    +2
    No one will take law abiding American people guns ... chillax on that okay? What we need to do is figure out how mentally ill folk keep getting access to them ... signs of mental illness
  • ★Calliope★ aherbert 2012/07/23 00:59:07
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Criminals ALWAYS get guns because they do not obey the law.

What's criminal is that someone wasn't carrying in the theatre that could have shot back at the idiot.
  • aherbert ★Calliope★ 2012/07/23 01:03:58
    aherbert
    miss the point

The man in the theater that shot those people had to be mentally ill ... no sane person have his agenda ... not even a criminal.

stay on topic
  • ★Calliope★ aherbert 2012/07/23 01:24:02
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Mentally ill.

SO then you are saying that terrorists are mentally ill? That anyone who perpetrates a crime like this is mentally ill?

Nidal Malik Hasan is mentally ill?

It's too soon to ascribe motive to this guy. That will unfold when his computer is analysed, his life is analyzed and his motives are analyzed. Not before.

So dear, don't tell me to stay on target. THINK, will you?

http://www.kcentv.com/story/1... Experts Say Mass Murderers Are Usually Not Mentally Ill

Posted: Jul 20, 2012 2:43 PM EDT
    Updated: Jul 20, 2012 3:00 PM EDT
    (MSNBC) -- Those who commit mass murders are often angry and isolated, but usually aren't mentally ill, violence experts said Friday after a shooting during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater. James Holmes was arrested as a suspect in the shooting that killed 12 people and wounded 59 others.

"It takes a certain degree of clear-headedness to plan and execute a crime like this," said James Alan Fox, a criminal justice professor at Northeastern University in Boston, who has written several books on mass murder and school violence. ..."
  • aherbert ★Calliope★ 2012/07/23 01:27:04
    aherbert
    Only a crazy person commits mass murder.
  • ★Calliope★ aherbert 2012/07/23 01:54:44
    ★Calliope★
    So.

There's no such thing as terrorists.

They are just crazy. Good Lord.

WE are in so much trouble with that kind of attitude. So a mass killing by gangs - they are crazy.

What would you do with all these crazy folks?
  • aherbert ★Calliope★ 2012/07/23 02:27:33
    aherbert
    There is a such thing of terrorists ... foreign and domestic. I for one think that Holmes is mentally ill ... that is the only reason why he did such a thing ... look that is my point of view ... I think when the investigation is over it will shed more light.
  • ★Calliope★ aherbert 2012/07/23 02:40:24 (edited)
    ★Calliope★
    I do understand your pov. I really do. I'd love to think these guys are crazy. I'd feel safer. because for all it's horrible and tragic - it doesn't happen that often.

But it's early to rush into thinking he's ill.

Now it looks like he called someone and they opened the door for him. (a witness came forward). There will be so much to this, I'm afraid.

http://www.9news.com/news/loc...

2014/10/22 21:47:07