"Code-Enforcers", and other dole recipients, attack gardens.

WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2012/08/09 10:11:52
Remember, anything you do has to be pleasing to all those who are the mob... we are a "democracy" after all.

Landlord Charged for Front Yard Garden - Tenant & Neighbors Fight Back.

The Source (Activistspost.com & SOTT)
Heather Callaghan - Sun, 05 Aug 2012

Stay-at-home dad Karl Tricamo was another unsuspecting gardener just going about his favorite hobby and following the rules. He loves to garden with his 55 heirlooms and dislikes GMOs and pesticides.

But, like so many others now, he was pushed around and literally stalked by "Code Enforcers" out to aggressively eradicate any "nuisance" that doesn't match the rest of their desired Stepford neighborhood. This is after he, also like many targeted for garden deconstruction, painstakingly followed the rules.

"I just thought it would be an excellent way to help provide for my family," he said. "People have been gardening since the beginning of human civilization, and the First Lady has even been setting an example by gardening at the White House! I never expected it to be so controversial."

City officials in Ferguson, Missouri do not care if someone is trying to feed his family on his turf; so they literally cited Tricamo's landlord with
'Failure to meet the minimum standards of the City of Ferguson exterior appearance code.'
Now, doesn't that sound like a highly subjective code? It would, had it been an actual code instead of an intimidation tactic.

Karl's neighbors seemed to be in accordance with his fruitful yard plan. One of them even allowed Tricamo to plant tomatoes in her garden as a "show of solidarity."

Perhaps more neighbors felt compelled to lend support after the board sent a letter to Tricamo and all nearby residents saying:
The owner of 309 Louisa wishes to utilize his property, currently zoned R-1D, for agricultural purposes by planting tall crops which will cover the entire front yard of the property. City Staff has determined that such use is not allowed within that zoning district under Chapter 49, the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Ferguson and, otherwise, constitutes a nuisance. The owner appeals that determination.
City officials changed their citings a lot, and really never could give Tricamo an actual code that prohibited a garden, especially since the ordinances specifically allow for vegetation, with no height requirements. So they obnoxiously tried to paint his yard into a large-scale commercial farm saying he needs permission to engage in "agriculture!"

Adding to that absurdity, the enforcers cased his place week after week; they would drive by, or park out front and watch the yard.

Karl did not cave when he received nuisance warnings and commands to first lay down hay and plant grass, and later to rip up his vegetables. But, as he documents on his blog, the constant harassment and drive-bys for months were not easy on him and his family.

Tricamo and his landlord, Jesse Brandt, were represented by Libertarian attorney Dave Roland of Freedom Center of Missouri who argued with the board on the basis of constitutional rights with supporting evidence that there were no code violations. Neighbors and family pitched in their support at the board meeting.

With all the help, Brandt and Tricamo's citations and fines were struck down in a Board of Adjustment decision by a 4-1 vote!

"We felt vindicated," Karl said. "I had taken steps from day one that everything would be within ordinance. They just tried to throw everything at us and hoped something would stick."

The one opposing vote came from an upset Joe Schroeder:
The board felt that, technically, he had the law in his favor - But I think that all of us on the board agreed that the garden is an eyesore. It goes against common sense, really, to put a garden in the front yard instead of the back.
So the law should be based on someone else's "common sense"? Or what is aesthetically pleasing to a board member?

Karl addressed the all-too typical response from people who'd rather go along to get along - the ones who say, "Why don't you just grow in the back yard?" Or, "Why not just flowers and grass?" The point is, that to him, he is within community ordinances and not trying to appease or placate others' demands. He wishes others would appreciate the diversity of plant life he diligently cultivated. If this weren't such an ordeal, and if bureaucrats weren't over his shoulder, he would prefer to let what we call "weeds" survive as they do in nature; as they do serve a purpose and are not aesthetically displeasing to everyone.

Freedom lover Roland is proud of people who face intimidation by taking on city hall. He said of the victory:
I'm proud of Mr. Tricamo and Mr. Brandt, because in standing up for their own constitutional rights, they have given hope to everyone else who might face a similar situation.
These "code enforcers" need to realize that in an effort to make a job for themselves with undue power tactics and by charging fines, that they are in fact alienating their tax-paying hardworking residents who can either vote them out or leave the local economy. Is it really worth the petty tyranny?

You can follow his story on his blog, Vegetable Yarden.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/248636-City-Officials-Are-W...

Comment: Read the following articles for additional stories describing how 'City Officials Are Waging A War On Gardens':

US: Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden;
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/231308-US-Michigan-Woman-Fa...
Woman Sues City of Tulsa For Cutting Down Her Edible Garden;
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/246796-Woman-Sues-City-of-T...

Read More: http://12160.info/forum/topic/show?id=2649739%3ATo...

• JMCC 2012/08/09 10:31:22
    JMCC
    +11
    I think it looks very tidy and can't see how it would offend the eye.

tidy offend eye

The truth is that it is not in the interests of politicians for people to be self sufficient because it means they are less dependent to big business and pay less sales tax to government.

After all if everybody were able to generate their own power, draw their own water and feed themselves, how do the politicians and CEO's of big companies get paid?

• DeeB 2012/08/10 18:26:40
    DeeB
    +1
    The thing is, in America the people are led to believe that they own the property that they have purchased. They do not. And is why you are listed as a tenant on the paperwork. People need to stand up and fight back about everything, never let these psychopaths get their way, because if they do, we are as good as dead. Plant your gardens, because you are going to need that food and collect all the rainwater you want, they do not own the skies, they only think they do.
  • S and S 2012/08/10 01:46:57
  • WannaBe... S and S 2012/08/10 06:39:00
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    There it is. Such criminals we are...
  • S and S WannaBe... 2012/08/10 09:55:41
  • TuringsChild 2012/08/10 00:34:40
    TuringsChild
    +4
    With the economy in the tank and government overblown beyond belief I see NO REASON why ANY Code Enforcement department should exist anywhere in the Nation. They're just a bunch of self-important, overbearing, power mad bureaucrats who shouldn't have the power to arrest stray dogs.
  • WannaBe... Turings... 2012/08/10 06:39:29
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    I can second that.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/08/09 23:17:38
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +3
    Why does it matter to them? Why not persecute owners of derelict buildings and actual eyesores rather than this?
  • WannaBe... Anonymo... 2012/08/10 06:40:07
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    Simple; Slum Lords have bought off key people.
  • Gregaj7 2012/08/09 22:32:57
    +5
    Land-Patent solves this problem.
  • Striker Gregaj7 2012/08/09 23:12:55
    Striker
    +3
    I was a r/e broker for 17 years, and owned a patented mining claim. Help me here, as I would REALLY like to know how owning patented land would solve this problem.
  • Gregaj7 Striker 2012/08/10 00:22:07
    +4
    The land is usually already patented, as assigned by previous Presidents. One has to update the Land Patent properly. One also has to know how to defend said pprwk, as the muni-corps will not accept such actions "lying-down".
  • Striker Gregaj7 2012/08/10 05:21:07
    Striker
    +3
    Most fees come subject to mineral rights and other. It's been a while, guess I better hit some research again, it's been quite a while. Thank you.
  • Gregaj7 Striker 2012/08/10 19:19:01
    +1
    "The Final Solution To Property Tax" is allegedly the 'manual' for this.
  • Striker Gregaj7 2012/08/10 19:47:43
    Striker
    +2
    Thanks again, I'll hunt that down. I would like to be correct to say "This is MY property, {GovGoon] and you have nothing to say about the property or what/how I use it. That would tie in nicely with personal secession.
  • Gregaj7 Striker 2012/08/10 20:05:57
    +2
    Do keep in mind that terms have meaning, and it is helpful (and required) to use the proper terms in the proper context, regardless of their reaction and effort to get you off of your claim.
  • Striker Gregaj7 2012/08/10 20:18:29
    Striker
    +2
    We need to know more about, and use, common law.
  • Bozette 2012/08/09 16:28:29
    Bozette
    +8
    Glad to see the man won this. Thanks for the update on the Michigan woman, I had been following that story. What the hell has our society come to when someone is jailed for planting a garden???

For all the "environmentalists" backing Agenda 21: It seems that being environmentally friendly really isn't the goal at all. It is control. The more people I see being harassed for their gardens, raw milk and cheeses and free-range livestock, the more angry I get.
  • WannaBe... Bozette 2012/08/09 21:55:21
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +6
    A dictatorship, Honey.

Nothing more nor less...
  • Bozette WannaBe... 2012/08/09 23:28:41
    Bozette
    +3
    On every level of government these days, too. Hell, a few years back they wanted to make it illegal to replace your well, forcing people to hook up to the poisoned city supply...thankfully, it didn't go through...yet.
  • WannaBe... Bozette 2012/08/10 06:48:33
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +2
    Why Bozette, you don't seem to be a good communist like most "Americans"...
  • Bozette WannaBe... 2012/08/10 08:48:54
    Bozette
    +2
    Nope...don't answer to tovarich (comrade). Amazed at the number of idiots, however...
  • WannaBe... Bozette 2012/08/10 21:33:27
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    Now now my Love. You and I must march in lock-step with our "Dear Leaders", ya know. ;-)
  • Bozette WannaBe... 2012/08/10 21:40:11 (edited)
    Bozette
    +1
    Well Darlin'...someone once told me I marched to the beat of a different drummer...thing is I don't march. I may walk, run, dance or maybe even skip to that lone drummer's beat...but march I will not. :)
    +6
    Dictatorship is what we have become
  • WannaBe... jackola... 2012/08/09 21:56:53
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    Am waiting for everything we did in Fallujah to manifest here... just a matter of time, imho.
  • Striker 2012/08/09 12:32:27
    Striker
    +8
    Rarely would I bother with a post on such a seemingly trivial subject, but "code enforcers" enticed me. Pleased to see people actually resisting such tyrannical behavior, and that a Libertarian attorney took them to task, and WON!
  • WannaBe... Striker 2012/08/09 21:58:15
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +3
    Pretty cool, eh Striker?
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/09 12:01:43 (edited)
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +8
    People seem to forget that during the war people planted victory gardens.

We seem to waste a lot of agricultiral land in this country. For example, the land between interstate highways... imagine how much hay we could get off that to feed cattle that may be starving this winter due to this drought.

In any case, this man's garden is not the real issue. The real issue is "who is in control".
  • WannaBe... Bill ~P... 2012/08/09 21:58:55
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +5
    "Who is in control"...

Very well said, Bill. Kudos.
  • historian 2012/08/09 10:36:40
    historian
    +8
    No such thing as private property in America. It belongs to whoever you pay taxes to for it, or whoever tells you how to live and/or use it. As things have gotten worse financially, more and more people are turning to gardens, a few backyard rabbit cages, and even a few chickens or emergency preparedness and current food supplement. It's the wise thing to do if you "own" the property to do it on. When this sham reaches it's end, and people are starving, these asshats complaining about gardens are going to be the first to be eaten.
  • Bozette historian 2012/08/09 16:33:27
    Bozette
    +5
    Zoning laws prevent many from raising livestock. Here, with five acres, zoning limits me to one head of livestock or five chickens!
  • WannaBe... historian 2012/08/09 22:02:41
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +4
    As for self, am throwing off the yoke of "law", as it turns out to be a third class regulation, more often than not.

It's to the point that, "Americans" would rather be murdered than follow the "rules". Force is ALL the so called "government" still has, and it knows this.
  • historian WannaBe... 2012/08/09 22:13:45
    historian
    +5
    I've had some run ins with the local government and so far all it took was standing up to their bully tactics to get them to shut up. Of course, it's a small village without the resources to use the force I'm sure they'd like to wield. I get really annoyed with people that say, "you shouldn't live there if you don't like the associations and rules", but they don't realize it wasn't always there. Basically it grows up around us over the years, and then the communist mob wants to force the individual out through their oppression.
  • JMCC 2012/08/09 10:31:22
    JMCC
    +11

tidy offend eye

• Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/08/09 10:23:34
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +8
    Pretty scary times.... Code enforcers mostly lack in good old fashion common sense.
  • WannaBe... Annie~P... 2012/08/09 22:03:26
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    Annie, I can agree with your above. TY.
  • Quietma... Annie~P... 2012/08/09 22:30:09
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    They have to justify their budgets!

2014/09/30 20:22:13