Clinton: Republican voter suppression targeting African-American churches

Embalmer 2012/09/24 01:53:47
By David Edwards
Sunday, September 23, 2012 13:42 EDT

Former President Bill Clinton is warning that President Barack
Obama’s edge in the polls may not be enough to defeat GOP hopeful Mitt
Romney because the Republican Party was using voter suppression
techniques to target traditionally Democratic voters like
African-American church members and the elderly.

“How much will the vote be lessened or reduced by the fact that in
Florida except for four counties, the pre-election voting — advanced
voting — has been cut down to and doesn’t include the Sunday before the
election?” Clinton told CNN’s Fareed Zakaria in an interview that aired
on Sunday.

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/23/clinton-repu...

• chicagosjentleone 2012/09/24 20:27:42
    chicagosjentleone
    ohhh booo hoo, get the buses on saturday instead of sunday. What, everyone has too busy of a life to change to a day earlier??? Give me a break, people are falling for all the distractions from the real issues. OUR ECONOMY IS IN THE TOILET! Focus people, FOCUS!
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/24 21:44:24
    Embalmer
    It's the Great Republican Recession, and what do Republican's suggest they're going to do about it? There is no time-table for recession recovery - especially a worldwide one - and all the blowhard contards can do is complain about how President Obama isn't fixing their great recession fast enough.

Yet it's supply-side economics as usual for Mittstery.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/24 21:59:46
    chicagosjentleone
    Pointing fingers at Republicans is just not accurate. The dems had total control since 2007 (under bush) to 2010 (under obama). The facts are that both parties hold blame, both parties got us into this mess. As far as Obama is concerned, he is not a leader. If he was, he could have spent his first term forcing both sides to work together. That is what a good leader does. He has allowed a deep division on all levels, again, not a leader. There has to be a balance, not one side over the other, when bush had total control...it didn't work. Same as when Obama had total control, didn't work. We have got to stop finger pointing and get down to the nitty gritty, we might not like all the answers but we must work together.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/24 22:11:00
    Embalmer
    It took a long time for the recession to happen, it didn't start "happening" in 2007.

McConnell said his top priority was what when Obama was elected? Boehner's congress has sabotaged everything Obama's wanted to do - which is why they have the lowest congressional approval rate ever.

Democrats should be blamed too, but Obama shouldn't be blamed for the skyrocketing deficit when most of it is the result of two wars and a huge tax cut - at the same time no less.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/25 13:50:27
    chicagosjentleone
    Yes, Obama can take some of the blame for the deficit. he is spending more and more each year and we don't have the funds. he allowed the congress to run amuck. No budgets.... I don't care if the republicans gave him a hard time, as a leader he should have stepped it up but instead I see him on the golf course or vacation or campaigning.
    I find it hypocritical of dems when it comes to Obama. I remember the attacks on Bush, I was on of them. remember the "7 minutes" of bush sitting there when we were attacked? Well, we were attacked and Obama kept on campaigning. seriously?! If that had been anybody other than Obama you bet the left would be all over it. I'm sick of Obama getting passes on things other presidents would have been held accountable for. He does not lead, if he did, we would be better off. Sometimes the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    I'm not happy with Romney either, but I do think we need someone else in office.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/25 14:02:27
    Embalmer
    How is he spending more and more each year?

bush added to deficit
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/25 15:56:31
    chicagosjentleone
    I didn't see the cost of the new healthcare "obamacare" figured into this. Also, Obama and Dem. congress had control for 2 years, they had the power to stop the war. Nope, Obama thought that Afghanistan is the right war. Sorry, Obama is not clean of everything, he has to take ownership on his choices. Remember, I don't blame Obama for everything but he did have options that could have changed things.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/25 19:58:29
    Embalmer
    I disagree, he's faced stiff opposition from the start.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/25 20:26:59
    chicagosjentleone
    who hasn't?! Every President has had opposition. Really, I'm sick of the" Poor Obama" like he's some kind of victim. Hey Obama, Man up, step up and be a leader. Obama would get my vote if he were a leader.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/25 20:32:58
    Embalmer
    No Democrat ever said that their top priority was to ensure a President-elect wouldn't be reelected. And then congress, the worst ever. Hell, the mid-terms in 2010 was all about sabotaging President Obama with the teabaggers.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/25 20:46:42
    chicagosjentleone
    omg, I remember when bush was running for re-election. We were trying so hard to block him from office. You have a short memory about it. I was physically sick when I saw he won again. I lost faith in the American people thinking how the hell could they see him as a better candidate. Hell, I have a calendar of Bushisms. Bush was picketted the entire time. The democrats in office faught him on everything.
    Not that I am defending bush, I'm not, but it's the same hypocrisy all over again. Poor Obama, whaaa whaa whaa.
    The tea party movement was about policies, give your fellow americans the respect to have an opinion. You don't have to agree with them but to blow them off because you don't like what they said is just offensive.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/25 21:16:46
    Embalmer
    If you can remember them perhaps you can share them instead of insinuating them. I'm talking about an entire political party working against the president and their country, Democrats didn't do that with Bush - they may have hated him for murdering so many US troops, but that was well deserved.

And that was well after Bush took office, President Obama was just the President-Elect, he wasn't given any chances like Bush was given.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/25 22:02:11
    chicagosjentleone
    "Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe said last week: “This may be the first time in recent history that a president knowingly misled the American people during the State of Union address." McAuliffe said Tuesday. "Either President Bush knowingly used false information in his State of the Union address or senior administration officials allowed the use of that information. This was not a mistake. It was no oversight and it was no error.

"The allegations against the Bush White House couldn't be more serious. And the trouble is the administration still won't level with the American people. The Bush administration is continuing its deception by refusing to fully disclose who in the White House knew the information was false and why the President used it anyway.” (from renew America)

"
    Example: When Bush was called a deserter by filmmaker and author Michael Moore at a rally for Wesley Clark in New Hampshire — an extraordinary allega-tion to make about a sitting president with a country at war — the retired Gen. Clark refused to condemn Moore's statement outright. Bush was a pilot in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War. While questions were raised in the 2000 presidential campaign about whether Bush had met all his training re-quirements, desertion was nev...

"
    Example: When Bush was called a deserter by filmmaker and author Michael Moore at a rally for Wesley Clark in New Hampshire — an extraordinary allega-tion to make about a sitting president with a country at war — the retired Gen. Clark refused to condemn Moore's statement outright. Bush was a pilot in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War. While questions were raised in the 2000 presidential campaign about whether Bush had met all his training re-quirements, desertion was never alleged.

The first rule of a presidential candidate: Energize your base. Whoever wins the Democratic nomination appears ready to inherit a stirred-up liberal base. Even in the Clinton years, Hollywood was rarely this riled up around an election. Actors Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen stumped New Hampshire with Clark, Glenn Close traveled with North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, and Martin Sheen and Rob Reiner tried to fire up crowds in Iowa for former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean. Willie Nelson raised money in a benefit concert for Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio. Even the Hollywood legal community is getting involved: lawyer Johnnie Cochran cut radio ads here for the Rev. Al Sharpton." (from usa today)

I'm sure if I put more energy into finding more examples I could easily do it. So my point is.....Obama is NOT a victim. He has been treated like any other candidate running during bad times.
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/26 00:49:33
    Embalmer
    And all that was long after Bush was inaugurated and the lies of Iraq were exposed. Obama couldn't even get inaugurated, he literally was given no chance.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/26 13:57:35
    chicagosjentleone
    "Moore's expectations for the 2004 presidential election

The film was released in June 2004, less than five months before the 2004 presidential election. Michael Moore, while not endorsing presidential candidate John Kerry, stated in interviews that he hoped "to see Mr. Bush removed from the White House".[41] He also said that he hoped his film would influence the election: "This may be the first time a film has this kind of impact".[41] However, some political analysts did not expect it to have a significant effect on the election. One Republican strategist stated that Moore "communicates to that far-left sliver that would never vote for Bush", and Jack Pitney, a government professor at Claremont McKenna College, suspected that the main effect of the film would be to "turn Bush-haters into bigger Bush-haters."[41] Regardless of whether the film would change the minds of many voters, Moore stated his intention to use it as an organizing tool, and hoped that it would energize those who wanted to see Bush defeated in 2004, increasing voter turnout.[42] Notwithstanding the film's influence and commercial success,[original research?] George W. Bush was re-elected in 2004."
    (from wikipedia)
    This was before the election. Trust me, I remember this very well because I was a delegate do...

(from wikipedia)
    This was before the election. Trust me, I remember this very well because I was a delegate doing everything I could against Bush.
    What the heck do you mean that "Obama couldn't even get inaugurated, he literally was given no chance."? The elections haven't even taken place yet! The majority of the media is soo to the left that we don't have real reporters any more!! Obama was never truely vetted by the media! Geeze, how much more of a break could he get?!?
  • Embalmer chicago... 2012/09/26 19:01:17
    Embalmer
    And your point is?? It was still LONG after Bush took office, three years.
  • chicago... Embalmer 2012/09/26 20:02:43
    chicagosjentleone
    you are wrong, What I posted was before Bush's second term. he had an extremely tough time with all the attacks on him during the campaign season for reelection.
    My point is, Obama isn't a victim like you make it out to be. He is being treated like any other president seeking reelection during times of turmoil. THAT is my point.
    Boo hoo, Obama has people who doesn't like his policies.
    Give me a break! I'm sick of hearing how hard it is for him. Dang it, this is what he signed up for, if he is surprised by this than he has no business being president.
  • SickOfBigGov 2012/09/24 07:55:37
    SickOfBigGov
    +1
    Republicans are engaged in voter suppression?
    Black panther voter
    I didn't know these guys were Republicans! But thanks for the heads up on that, Clinton. (BTW, you're a slimebag)
  • Embalmer SickOfB... 2012/09/24 09:42:19
    Embalmer
    You misread, Fred.
  • SickOfB... Embalmer 2012/09/24 19:24:29
    SickOfBigGov
    +1
    No, I don't think I mis-read...but I WAS being sarcastic!
  • Embalmer SickOfB... 2012/09/24 20:04:00
    Embalmer
    No you weren't.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/09/24 06:28:41
  • Embalmer rustysh... 2012/09/24 09:43:06
    Embalmer
    Racist.
  • rustysh... Embalmer 2012/09/24 13:26:56
  • Mountaineer 2012/09/24 02:59:59
    Mountaineer
    The very idea that the American Blacks are expected to vote for Obama is based on the assumption that all of them are racists. This is a blatant insult to them!
  • Embalmer Mountai... 2012/09/24 09:44:45
    Embalmer
    It's the Republican's idea they'll vote for Obama dude. And it's not racist if whites are expected to vote for Romney????
  • R. 2012/09/24 02:10:21
    R.
    +2
    Slick willie knows the community organizing white house occupier will lose
    many church going African American votes because of his choice to support
    same sex marriage. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with suppresion but
    the dims have their best snake oil salesman on the job.
  • Embalmer R. 2012/09/24 02:14:49
    Embalmer
    +1
    The problem with your theory is it's the Republicans behind the new voting changes in Florida, and they only effect the black vote.

Supporting gay marriage will not change enough black voters decisions to make any difference in the upcoming Obama landslide over Mittstery.
  • R. Embalmer 2012/09/24 02:17:11
    R.
    +1
    Wanna bet ? The preachers are instructing from their pulpits. See ya at the polls.
  • Embalmer R. 2012/09/24 02:29:22
    Embalmer
    +1
    Then let them vote in church.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/20...
  • R. Embalmer 2012/09/24 11:47:29
    R.
    Yea, I'm sure you 'seperation of church and state' libprogs would
    love that.
  • Embalmer R. 2012/09/24 20:05:09
    Embalmer
    Nope, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • ken 2012/09/24 02:07:58
    ken
    +1
    Oh, right. Here in Texas, a red state, black votes are being suppressed because we've never voted on Sunday. Preposterous.
  • Embalmer ken 2012/09/24 02:10:29
    Embalmer
    +1
    Texas isn't a swing state, nothing like Florida is.
  • ken Embalmer 2012/09/24 02:15:36
    ken
    +3
    And that's what matters? Swing states should alter their laws to accommodate people that can't get to the polls on a regular voting day, an early voting day or mail in an absentee ballot? Do you know how silly that sounds? We're not even talking about showing a picture I.D. Something we all know everyone with any kind of responsibility already has. It's a ludicrous argument, at best.
  • Embalmer ken 2012/09/24 09:45:56
    Embalmer
    Hell yes that matters.
  • R. ken 2012/09/24 11:52:17
    R.
    C'mon Ken . it's only 47% of the people they want to accomodate.
  • Onyx 2012/09/24 02:04:53
    Onyx
    +2

I'm not thinking its Romney we need to worry about, usually you don't see white people with clubs standing outside voting locations.
  • Embalmer Onyx 2012/09/24 02:11:41
    Embalmer
    +1
    LOL, one instance, three people and no negative results in their actions.
  • Onyx Embalmer 2012/09/24 02:18:56
    Onyx
    +3
    Really? Just because no one was attacked! Are you kidding me? How many white people were too afraid to walk past their black asses with the club and didn't vote?? And you have the nerve to even bring up voter suppression! Fool!

2014/09/19 01:57:56