Clergy putting faith in a man and not in Christ?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/07/14 17:12:11
Excerpt:

Hope being placed in a human being – any human being – even a president, is hope misplaced. As a Christian I can state with affirmation that hope exists in the person of Jesus Christ.
It’s a message the church has neglected to preach – and it’s a message
that is needed as much today as it was back in 1860. The clergy is
supposed to understand that message. But when asked about how to solve
the problems the black community is facing, I’ve never heard any
preacher say that the power to change and the power to clean one’s
proverbial slate is possible. It’s the message of redemption that only
Christ offers – it’s the “good news” or the gospel. You can be a new
creature in Christ. Where hope exists, hate can be overcome.

The Bible also teaches that there should be no division between us.
And it teaches that we are to forgive those who wrong us. It doesn’t
teach that we are supposed to hold a grudge against one generation for
the sins of another. There can be no healing in this country unless we
acknowledge our national sins and forgiveness is preached. Then and only
then can people rise up against poor circumstances and be all God would
have them be.

So how about it? Are clergy putting too much emphasis in a man and not on God?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/07/14...

• dominic... Tuna 2012/07/14 21:52:37
    dominic garcia
    +3
    That is right you can not serve God and mammon!
  • evangelism_vision 2012/07/14 20:42:44 (edited)
    Yes, and clergy should stop doing that.
    evangelism_vision
    +3
    ************ MY FAITH IS IN GOD AND NOT MAN **************

Even Men of god can get distracted we wonder why God does not answer our prayers at times and it's because We moved, we got distracted and off the narrow road Not God bur THANK GOODNESS, that God is forgiving and Forgives our sins when we confess them to him.
    And then we pick ourselves up and keep running the race for the prize and cause of Jesus Christ who is worthy of ALL PRAISE, HONOR AND GLORY, WHO WAS FROM EVERLASTING PAST AND EVERLASTING FUTURE.

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, THE MIGHTY GOD HOLY AND RIGHTEOUS

THE MESSIAH

We look at what is happening in America, and around the World for that matter and we even as Christians get off tract because of Satan. No matter who is running for Office, No matter who is in the white House GOD IS IN CONTROL

" IF MY PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME SHALL HUMBLE THEMSELVES

AND PRAY, THEN WILL I HEAR FROM HEAVEN, I WILL FORGIVE THEIR SINS

AND HEAL THEIR LAND

II CHRON 7:14

NEED HELP
  • FRED 2012/07/14 20:37:09
    FRED
    +2
    Grasping at straws vbnm bnmj
  • dominic... FRED 2012/07/14 20:55:16
    dominic garcia
    +4
    You don't have to be a Christian to make a good President. You just have to be an honest, hardworking person with good morals. My son-in-law is married to a mormon girl. They have been married for twelve years. She is a very good mother and wife. She stays at home, all the time and tends to her family. She has very good morals and so do her children. We don't share the same beliefs but they are very similar. Mormons are very dedicated to their family and have high standards!
  • Guru Ca... FRED 2012/07/14 21:45:11
    Guru Casper BN-ZERO
    I agree with your take on Inteligent Design,not so muchMr Jefress view of Mormonism
  • ☆GrayBe... FRED 2012/07/14 23:13:48
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    http://www.wallbuilders.com/L...

I'm afraid Dr. Jeffress is incorrect. Yes, Romney is a Mormon. The actual name of their church is, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". With Christ in the name, how can they not be Christians? I personally have to wonder about the Baptists - do they worship John the Baptist or just dunkin' folks in the pond?

And, no, I'm not a Mormon, I'm Catholic.
  • Al B Th... ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/14 23:53:37
    Al B Thayer
    Backward once in the name of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Your buried with Christ.(backward) And raised to walk in newness of life. Forward. Your done.
  • ☆GrayBe... Al B Th... 2012/07/15 00:57:27
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    Can you express that coherently? Just saying.......
  • Al B Th... ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/15 01:37:15
    Al B Thayer
    That's how Bapts dunk.
  • ☆GrayBe... Al B Th... 2012/07/15 14:11:13
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    Guess not.
  • Cliff ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/15 12:23:34
    Cliff
    Catholics need to get out more.
  • marylou5 ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/15 17:48:34
    marylou5
    +1
    I am truly astonished at your comment about Baptists. Was it your attempt at humor.. gone really bad?

Do you really feel it is necessary to ridicule Protestant tradition because you are Catholic?

I'm surprised/ that some one with an avatar that states "Don't tread on me" would mock or deride any Protestant religious ritual for any reason!

(What if I said, what are )Catholics thinking when they throw cold water in an innocent baby's face and call it christening them? That would be despicable. Would it not?

Now you know, how many people felt about your derogatory comment?
  • ☆GrayBe... marylou5 2012/07/16 14:51:57
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    I was using sarcasm to make a point to 'Fred' about the ridiculousness of his statements. He is glaringly wrong on both counts.

Separation of church and state: Not so. The Founders never intended such. In fact, Congress printed the first English-language Bible in America and it states on the dedication leaf that it was intended for use in the schools.

The quote posted about the LDS church being a cult and not Christian is just glaringly wrong and for some reason Baptists seem to be their most vocal critics. Mormons are some of the most Christian people I've met; my family has even attended a Mormon service with a friend's family (- it's 3 hours long - and I thought Mass was a marathon... LOL).
    The debate fallacy 'Fred' used is called "Ad Verecundiam", or "Appeal to Authority", though I'm sure he's hardly aware of it. It takes the following form:

1. A person is claimed to be an authority on a particular subject:
    In this case, Dr. Robert Jeffress of the First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas. His area of expertise is not even fully disclosed. A doctorate is placed before his name and a religious affiliation after. (This does not make 'DR.' Jeffress an expert on the Mormon church. Timothy Leary was a 'doctor'. So was Joseph Mengele.)

2. The claimed authority makes a statement about tha...

2. The claimed authority makes a statement about that particular subject:
    In this case, he states, "Mormonism is not Christianity. Mormonism is a cult."
    Really?

3. Since the cited 'authority' has credentials, then his statement must be true.
    Not hardly.

This is an intellectually lazy and deceitful way to make a point on many different levels. The one that I responded to was this: 'Fred' is a liberal. While this statement of "Dr. Jeffress' " supports his Ad Hominem attack on Romney and he proudly displays it, if Jeffress made a statement that was contrary to one of his assumptions, say on the subject of abortion, ol' "Fred" would simply cite another source and negate Jeffress' "authority".

If one is going to go toe-to-toe with the Liberals, there can be no sacred cows.
  • marylou5 ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/16 16:13:07
    marylou5
    +2
    Sorry, I missed the sarcasm..my bad!
    All is not lost..gave you a chance to clear up the misconception!
    I'm not Baptist but my Baptist friends feel they they are maligned by those who
    state they denigrate Mormons. They claim that is not the position of most Baptists and resent that they are being labeled as anti Mormon...another liberal tactic!!
  • ☆GrayBe... marylou5 2012/07/16 17:13:42
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    Sorry if I offended. It was unintentional.
  • marylou5 ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/16 17:21:06
    marylou5
    +2
    Absolutely no offense at all, and none taken, no apology necessary..just an explanation:-)
  • ☆GrayBe... marylou5 2012/07/17 15:38:21
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +2
    Thanks. LOL, my favorite sport is liberal hunting. Most hide behind a facade of pseudo intellectualism when in fact most can't think their way out of a wet paper bag. If they could they wouldn't be liberals.
  • marylou5 ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/19 02:45:05
    marylou5
    +2
    No argument here...you're preaching to the choir:-)
  • ☆GrayBe... marylou5 2012/07/19 07:19:29
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    LOL.... I need to add you to my friends list!
  • marylou5 ☆GrayBe... 2012/07/19 16:41:33
    marylou5
    +2
    Done:-)
  • ☆GrayBe... marylou5 2012/07/20 14:48:27
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +2
    Thank you, ma'am.
  • Al B Th... FRED 2012/07/14 23:47:51
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    The founding fathers had nothing to do with SCS. Those three words were never spoken by anyone except Thomas Jefferson in a letter the the Danbury Bapts in Conn.

He wrote to assure them the fed government had no intention of raining on their parade. Which was their already in place state church. If you research it you will find 8 or 9 of the states had in their state constitution an established state church.
  • Turings... FRED 2012/07/15 01:20:56
    TuringsChild
    Why should the State have a monopoly on science? True Science supports true Religions.
  • FRED Turings... 2012/07/15 03:08:17
    FRED
    +1
    Not true Religion is against science
  • Turings... FRED 2012/07/15 03:39:34
    TuringsChild
    Sensible religions don't do that. Religion preserved science during the Dark Ages. Without monks keeping history on parchment, we would have forgotten the Greek philosophers and scientists entirely.
  • Keith Turings... 2012/07/15 10:30:47 (edited)
    Keith
    No religion condemned science and murdered scientist in the dark ages, keeping records of the past is not science, science is the study of the world around us, religion and science normally do not go well together, religion is about faith and science is about facts. Some scientist are religious however, like I said it's all in faith, you can't explain the world so you can either believe god made it or choose to accept you don't understand it but maybe one day mankind will by studying and research.
  • Cliff FRED 2012/07/15 12:26:04
    Cliff
    Science gives you nuclear weapons. Christianity gives you eternal life.
  • Southern Man 2012/07/14 19:39:19
    Southern Man
    +3
    My faith is in God not Man ... Man fails God does not !!
  • William 2012/07/14 19:21:34
    William
    +1
    I'm all for freedom of speech, but the pulpit should be a place where higher things are expounded. The job of the pastor/shepherd is to feed their congregation from the scriptures, not lower themselves into the slime pit of politics and pop culture.
  • Cliff William 2012/07/15 12:29:26
    Cliff
    Did not Jesus lower himeself into the slime pit of politics and pop culture by being born?
  • William Cliff 2012/07/16 21:04:54 (edited)
    William
    +1
    It's true that his birth became the focus of political avarice. And where politics crosses the line, Christians and Pastors should be prepared to answer and stand firm. John the Baptist told Herod that marrying his brothers wife was a sin. And Jesus was sharply critical of the way the ruling classes degraded worship.

But pastors should not be promoting political candidates. The pulpit should not become a bullhorn for political opinion. There is more important work to be done for the Church than getting involved in politics.

We have a higher citizenship. Our allegiance is to the King of kings and Lord of lords. Not to any petty fiefdom here on earth.
  • Cliff William 2012/07/17 12:01:42
    Cliff
    While it is true that pastors should not be promoting political candidates from the pulpit, pastors should be enlightening their hearers as to what the Bible has to say about the issues of the day.
  • William Cliff 2012/07/20 04:27:27
    William
    Like what?
  • Cliff William 2012/07/20 11:13:53
    Cliff
    Abortion, homosexuality, education, charity, dependency, government control, leadership, honesty and relationships, just to name a few.
  • Silversnake 2012/07/14 19:16:36
    Yes, and clergy should stop doing that.
    Silversnake
    +5
    Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

People are meant to study the Bible for themselves and not just trust what someone tells them
  • Flash,a... Silvers... 2012/07/14 21:15:25
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    2 Timothy 2:15
  • Al B Th... Silvers... 2012/07/14 23:55:25
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    Berean.
  • John "By God" American 2012/07/14 19:12:10
    Yes, and clergy should stop doing that.
    John "By God" American
    +4
    I would suggest "Where hope exists, hate can be overcome.", that hope be changed into Faith. Hope is ambiguous while Faith in Jesus Christ is absolute.
  • Cliff John "B... 2012/07/17 12:02:52
    Cliff
    WTF does that mean?
  • John "B... Cliff 2012/07/17 12:46:26
    John "By God" American
    Which part? Hope is ambiguous or Faith in Jesus is absolute?

2014/12/19 08:47:09