Christians: Could you be happy in heaven without your loved ones there?

icymore 2009/04/12 03:03:55
This isn't intended to pick on anyone, so please don't accuse me of that or get offended. Just something I was thinking about and it really made me wonder why Heaven is so appealing to some people. If I died and woke up in Heaven, I would be devastated to find that my dead loved ones were not there, or that I had to wait until my living loved ones died before I could ever see them again. I would just miss them so much. I don't see how I could be happy that way. So please explain it to me.

• Ascetic Of Words 2009/04/13 04:31:42
    Non-Christian answer:
    Ascetic Of Words
    +6
    The only way could work as a world truly without unhappiness would be by changing the people in it on a fundamental level. Seriously, try thinking only happy thoughts for a single hour. It can't be done. Something unhappy or unpleasant will come up.

Moreover, if every moment is happy, nothing matters. Happiness itself becomes expected. Happiness is not simply the absence of unhappiness, but the recognition of one moment as being more enjoyable than another. The meaning has to be changed to apply to an infinite amount of time.

I believe Heaven would have to be a place where everyone has all they need to be happy. This would necessitate the presence of loved ones.

So no, I do not believe that people would be happy in heaven without their loved ones, because I believe such is not possible without changing people to the extent that they would simply not be who they were.

• jellyfishing 2010/03/28 03:54:29
    Christian answer:
    jellyfishing
    +4
    This question really bothered me. I couldn't see how I could be happy knowing anyone was enduring eternal suffering, let alone a loved one, or even a loved one of a loved one. I thought of the many times that God has spared judgment, and of how we don't know all of His plan for us, but what really helped me accept God's plan was something that Professor Snape said about "these questions were asked and sufficient answers were given." What I mean is that there are probably a great many people in heaven who have asked this question (even people that Jesus was especially close to, like Mary, Joseph, and Lazarus) and since there is only joy in heaven, the answer must be completely sufficient.
  • Andre 2010/03/23 14:58:20
    Christian answer:
    Andre
    -1-God saves families (for family is the image of God).
    -1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is set apart (and affiliated with the Christian people) by union with his consecrated (set-apart) wife, and the unbelieving wife is set apart through union with her consecrated husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean (unblessed, outside the Christian covenant), but as it is they are prepared for God [pure and clean].

-2-Those in hell don't want their families to join them there.
    -Luk 16:28 For I have five brothers--so that he may give [solemn] testimony and warn them, lest they too come into this place of torment.
    Luk 16:30 But he answered, No, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.
    Luk 16:31 He said to him, If they do not hear and listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they believe [even] if someone should rise from the dead.

-3-God will remove all sorrow and pain. One-day you will not cry for those in hell anymore. (Jesus cries for those who are in hell, but there is no way to save them anymore).
    -Rev 21:4 God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more, neither shall there be anguish (sorrow and mourning) nor grief nor pain any more, for the old conditions and the former order of things hav...

-Rev 21:4 God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more, neither shall there be anguish (sorrow and mourning) nor grief nor pain any more, for the old conditions and the former order of things have passed away.

-4-God is our Father, Mother, and Brother - He is our true family. And the family we have, did not exist until He created them for us.
    -Psa 27:10 Although my father and my mother have forsaken me, yet the Lord will take me up [adopt me as His child].

-Mar 10:29 Jesus said, Truly I tell you, there is no one who has given up and left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for My sake and for the Gospel's
    Mar 10:30 Who will not receive a hundred times as much now in this time-...-and in the age to come, eternal life.

-Isa 63:16 For [surely] You are our Father, even though Abraham [our ancestor] does not know us and Israel (Jacob) does not acknowledge us; You, O Lord, are [still] our Father, our Redeemer from everlasting is Your name.

-Isa 9:6 For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called ... Everlasting Father...

-Joh 10:30 I and the Father are One.

-Joh 17:20 Neither for these alone do I pray, but also for all those who will ever come to believe in Me through their word and teaching,
    Joh 17:21 That they all may be one, [just] as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that You have sent Me.

God is the best person you could ever meet and is far greater a friend or family member than any on earth... If you have to choose a family member to be with then choose Jesus.
  • MixingE... Andre 2011/10/07 03:51:25
    MixingEngineer777
    +2
    So, On the "God will remove all sorrow, and pain"...are you suggesting that he will annihilate all emotional attachments and memories to those we love? Totally wiping our memories eternally? ....hmmmm, wouldnt that offset our freewill? You also said that "those in Hell do not want their families to join them" I agree in that matter...but wouldnt those in Heaven want their families to join them? Its like a reunion to the loved ones who passed whom you suspect have already made it to Heaven...and an anticipation to those who havent made it yet....either way...through Life or death>You would want to know that your loved ones whom you hold closer to your Heart than you do God, will make it there... Its bad enough that this life is already a Hell, where we or any of us did not asked to partake in>No-One Asked God to put us Here...No-one asked God to Create this Earth...we werent placed here by our own freewill....we were forced....

I believe many of us, would agree that if we had a choice to not exist after we been shown that there is a HIGH possibility that we wont make it to Heaven, many of us would choose not to even be born..... who is worthy of eternal Life? after we've been forced to be submerged in a Life of filthy Sin...only to walk around with doubts that we even stand the ...

I believe many of us, would agree that if we had a choice to not exist after we been shown that there is a HIGH possibility that we wont make it to Heaven, many of us would choose not to even be born..... who is worthy of eternal Life? after we've been forced to be submerged in a Life of filthy Sin...only to walk around with doubts that we even stand the chance to make it to Heaven after each sin we commit. I'm just saying....it feels unfair to me....just being real...I know God...and he has proven to me that He is real...but I fear that I wont make it...nor am I even worthy to...let alone be happy if I did..knowing my family and loved ones didnt.
  • MariaLouisa 2009/12/25 05:22:09
    Christian answer:
    MariaLouisa
    I believe that when Christians die and go to heaven we will be so full of joy that we made it and that we can now see Jesus face to face. The peace and joy that we feel will keep us from worrying or being sad about missing our loved ones that we left behind. There is joy in heaven, not sadness or loneliness, and definately not fear or pain or sickness. It's all pure joy.

My son saw his father in heaven the day that he died. His pastor prayed for him and my son fell under the power of the Holy Spirit. He saw his father standing next to Jesus. Jesus was waiting for my son's father to say goodby to my son before interring through the gates. My son kept saying by dad. Don't be afraid, just take Jesus's hand. By dad. We were all crying while this was going on. Then Jesus and his father turned around facing the gates and the gates opened up and they walked into a white cloud inside of the gates.

My son said his father had a big smile on his face. His father left behind our son and our daughter, and his whole family. Yet, he had a big smile on his face. After all, he was standing next to Jesus and Jesus walked with him right into heaven. My son told us afterwards what he had seen.
  • Ash 2009/04/20 04:59:14
    Christian answer:
    Ash
    +1
    I would be unhappy but I'd do what I do here; drown my self in work
  • mrpop 2009/04/14 14:23:29
    Christian answer:
    mrpop
    +1
    Not one will be lost. The God of "Eternal Torment" or "annihilation" does not exist.

1 Tim 4:10 10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

As in Adam, ALL die. So in Christ, shall ALL live.

God is not a schizophrenic monster. I used to think he was too, esp. since so many "christians" and "religious" people told me he was. Then I started to go crazy, almost having a nervous breakdown because I was so freaked out by so many people (maybe my family??) going to hell!

After so much research and humbling myself and truly, truly seeking...I found the truth. I didn't trust it at first. I didn't grow up religious, but was indoctrinated because of the world of "Beleivers" around me telling me what to believe.
    Forget that. Seek out a matter for yourself. Don't listen to other people. (Don't listen to me!!! Seek it out for yourself!!)

There will be NO-ONE missing from heaven.

This earth is a schoolyard.

We are ALL going home.

Don't listen to preachers and teachers and anyone who tells you God is a monster. Just because a large group of people have been saying something for a large number of years doesn't not necessarily make that something true.
    A lie is a lie no matter HOW many people...'

""''

'

'

'""""

'

'

''

'

This earth is a schoolyard.

We are ALL going home.

A lie is a lie no matter HOW many people believe it, no matter for how long they've been believing it.

tentmaker.org is a site that I stumbled upon after I had been sure that what I found out to be true... was TRUE. But they only reaffirmed what I believed.

"Fire" is also a refiner's fire. Getting rid of all the impurities. My God!!! God doesn't destroy PEOPLE!! We are His children.

I will not debate this. Because religious people have blinders on for some reason. They don't see the amazing, wonderful truth about our wonderful loving God.

Atheists, folks who grew up in some far off jungle trible, Buddhists, YES... ALL are going back home.

I can't tell you how much this has transformed my life. Knowing that ALL are saved. I have become far more loving, and gentle with people. Knowing that they TRULY are my brothers and sisters.

Again...

TENTMAKER.ORG is a good place to start.

I don't believe in "unitarian universalism" this is more "Christian univeralism" for those looking for a label.

The road is narrow!! (yes indeed! Not many people seem to want to believe the TRUE GOOD NEWS! The path is wide that leads ot destruction.... yes, it is... do you see how many people believe horrible things about God? Well all of those horrible beliefs WILL be destroyed! Not the people! For God's sake. =) The beliefs. The lies.)

PEACE.

I hope some found comfort in this.

SEEK!!!! Don't listen to other folks.
    SEEK And ask God to help you find truth.

Read a verse in the bible and you may see something you never saw before. Where it talks about destruction, yes, destruction of the old ways. Not destruction of people.
    Fire? think of purifying, not destroying,

Again. This will be my only post here. I don't debate. been there done that. It is fruitless. I don't feel the need to debate. If you want to do your own research, do it.
    Religous people have a thousand little catch phrases and verses they like to throw at you to prove God is a monster... life is too short to argue with those who seemingly WANT to see God as a hypocritical monster.

God IS Love.

and we're all going home you all...

ALL OF US.

There is NO FEAR in perfect love.

God IS perfect love.
    and He is the Good Shepherd who will not let ONE go astray.

Peace to your brothers and sisters.
    All of you, christians, atheists, agnostics, whatever you call yourselves... just.. peace to you.
  • cincygirl 2009/04/14 13:34:58
    Christian answer:
    cincygirl
    ..there will be no sorrow
  • Fallout 2009/04/14 02:39:49
    Non-Christian answer:
    Fallout
  • Diomedes 2009/04/13 18:06:32
    Christian answer:
    Diomedes
  • alegra::Anti-Choice:: 2009/04/13 17:36:19
    Christian answer:
    alegra::Anti-Choice::
    +2
    well as humans on this earth we find that it is hard to be away from loved ones and it hurts when someone dies...I mean just thinking about being away from my hubby is enough to make me depressed, but the bible says that

" God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

so even though I find it hard to imagine, I dont think that we will "miss" people like we do now....
  • done wi... alegra:... 2009/04/13 18:54:33
    done with SH
    Totally agree...even Jesus wept when Lazarus died. I believe our grief/sorrow serves a purpose, for it makes our reunion all the more joyful.
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2009/04/13 15:42:53
    Christian answer:
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +2
    No, I couldn't be happy knowing that others, especially the ones I loved, could not experience paradise with me.

I have to believe that our accounts of Heaven and Hell are inaccurate. The perfection of Heaven cannot exist without removing the most beautiful human elements of our flawed souls, and I can't believe that a loving God would condemn nonbelievers and believers of other faiths to an eternity of torment. I have to believe that we have it wrong, there.

Exploring that portion of Christian dogma has truly challenged my faith. It is one of the most problematic arguments to cope with -- how can a loving God deny his children paradise?
  • Ascetic... Epistem... 2009/04/13 17:26:42
    Ascetic Of Words
    +2
    I tend to think that Heaven as a concept is fantastically over-simplified to make it seem like a more desirable place. No one wants to hear that they have dedicated their life and soul to a place that's just better, they want to hear that it's perfect.
  • Epistem... Ascetic... 2009/04/13 17:28:47
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    Ideally, people would dedicate their life and soul to what they believed was the right and good thing to do, regardless of the perceived benefits.
  • alegra:... Epistem... 2009/04/13 17:53:57
    alegra::Anti-Choice::
    +1
    Rev 21:27 "Nothing unclean, or anyone who does anything detestable, and no one who tells lies will ever enter it. Only those whose names are written in the lamb's Book of Life will enter it." (now the bible says that once you have accepted jesus you are a new creation and you are washed clean. just like every time that you ask God to forgive you of your sins he doesn't remember it any longer)

Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life, no one will enter heaven, but through me"

Rev 20:15 "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

so to answer your question....A loving God must also be a just God because without justice how could he truly love us? ( the bible also says that God is a just God) He has told us that the wages of sin is death...not just the natural death but the spiritual one as well... this is why God sent his son to die for us, because he gave us a way to say that we were sorry and repent so that we wouldn't have to go to hell.
  • Epistem... alegra:... 2009/04/13 17:56:09
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    That doesn't answer my question, that is just a Bible verse that is related to my question. Sorry, I do differentiate. Though I am Christian, I do think the Bible is fallible and incomplete.
  • alegra:... Epistem... 2009/04/13 18:00:56 (edited)
    alegra::Anti-Choice::
    +2
    the Bible says that it is Gods word....so if you don't believe the bible how are you a Christian? (not trying to offend, just asking)
  • Epistem... alegra:... 2009/04/13 18:03:16
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    Believing the Bible and believing the Bible is perfect are two different things.

I believe in the theories and equations surrounding open-channel hydrology, but when the equations can't explain turbulence well, then I assume that there is a flaw in the accepted formulas. A single (or a few) flaws doesn't immediately negate value.
  • Linda 2009/04/13 12:50:58
    Non-Christian answer:
    Linda
    +1
    well since Im not christian or catholic and etc, I chose this one and No I could never be happy in heaven if my loved ones werent there.
  • Mr. Basket 2009/04/13 11:37:20 (edited)
    Non-Christian answer:
    Mr. Basket
    +1
    I thought after you died, you wouldn't care anymore since you will be overwhelmed with happiness that heaven washes over you for eternity.

Kind of a sick thought, isn't it?
  • icymore Mr. Basket 2009/04/13 20:38:03
    icymore
    +2
    Extremely sick!
  • Darkend 2009/04/13 10:01:50
    Non-Christian answer:
    Darkend
    +1
    Is that the same as asking me if i would be equally as happy if my family was buried in the same grave I was?

Sounds about right. Since I'm dead, i really don't think i give a shit.
  • cronewinter 2009/04/13 06:17:53
    Non-Christian answer:
    cronewinter
    +2
    Wouldn't want to go where my friends and family can't..I'm bring my fur friends to.
  • Anouser cronewi... 2009/04/13 07:10:02
    Anouser
    Fur friends? Ya' mean furries?

fur friends ya furries
  • cronewi... Anouser 2009/04/13 13:39:49
    cronewinter
    Ya, the short 4 legged kind, dogs, cats and my birds
  • Ascetic Of Words 2009/04/13 04:31:42
    Non-Christian answer:
    Ascetic Of Words
    +6

• Körïnthïän Ascetic... 2009/04/13 09:28:28
    Körïnthïän
    +4
    This just gave me an idea for a poll.
  • Epistem... Ascetic... 2009/04/13 15:29:30
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    Happiness doesn't have to be something only appreciated in it's juxtaposition to saddness. Though I do see what you are arguing, that part, in particular, is quite flawed.
  • SmarterthanYou 2009/04/13 01:47:43
    Non-Christian answer:
    SmarterthanYou
    +2
    I couldn't be happy ANYWHERE without being with the people I love. I really don't think that anyone would be truly happy if they were in heaven without people they love. I mean even the best of senarios would be empty and void without someone there to share it with.
  • icymore Smarter... 2009/04/13 03:22:26
    icymore
    +2
    Yeah, I think some of these people are lying to themselves.
  • Smarter... icymore 2009/04/13 21:51:08
    SmarterthanYou
    +1
    I think some of them really need to think and try to search inside themselves and figure if they would EVER really be happy without the people they hold dearest. I know that most of them think it would be o.k. but how nice will it be to forget your kids, your husband/wife, your parents. If there is a god I think he would know us better than to leave us up there for all eternity by ourselves
  • XBrittanyX 2009/04/13 00:27:46
    Christian answer:
    XBrittanyX
    +1
    No, I need my family there
  • J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie* 2009/04/12 22:22:49
    Christian answer:
    J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie*
    +2
    There is no sadness in Heaven....so yes. Would I like them to be there? Of course! Since there's no sadness whatsoever there, then I wouldn't be sad at all.
  • Ascetic... J.Switc... 2009/04/13 04:41:30
    Ascetic Of Words
    +4
    This bothers me.

Being sad is part of who I am. I can be sad simply by thinking back to my past: my mistakes, my failures, the mistakes and failures of those closest to me.

In order to not be sad, ever, those memories would have to be taken from me, or my perception of them changed to the point they would mean something different.

Is there an answer for this? More to the point, is there one that doesn't simply demand that I believe that God can make it work? That is a very shallow thing to hear if one doesn't believe to begin with, and begins to sound downright elitist and ignorant after a while, which I know most Christians aren't.
  • J.Switc... Ascetic... 2009/04/13 17:17:39
    J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie*
    I don't have an answer for you that doesn't demand that you believe that God can make it work. I don't have any idea exactly what it's going to be like or how that whole thing's gonna work out, because I've never been there. I don't claim to be better than anybody and I know I'm not perfect. If you want to think I'm "elitist and ignorant" you go right ahead, because to me it doesn't really matter what you think.
  • Ascetic... J.Switc... 2009/04/13 17:29:06
    Ascetic Of Words
    +1
    I didn't say that you were elitist or ignorant, I was just pointing out how the argument you posed is generally perceived.

Saying that a person won't be sad in Heaven because of the glory of God's grace to someone who doesn't believe in God is missing the point of their argument.

If that is what you believe, more power to you. It just isn't a good enough answer for me.
  • icymore J.Switc... 2009/04/13 04:53:56 (edited)
    icymore
    +5
    So being in heaven is like being on a massive dose of antidepressants? Or E?
  • J.Switc... icymore 2009/04/13 17:08:05
    J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie*
    +1
    It sure sounds like it...I don't know man, I've never been there.
  • done wi... icymore 2009/04/13 19:12:28
    done with SH
    Being in Heaven is gonna be better than sex and chocolate combined.

The roads are paved w/ gold.

No laundry or migraines or whiny-ass kids.

No more SH questions.

I'm so frickin' ready.
  • icymore done wi... 2009/04/13 22:01:24
    icymore
    +1
    I like my whiny-ass kid, and why in the world would I care what the streets are paved with? Why do you need streets in heaven? Why can't we fly around on winged unicorns or something?

2014/10/22 21:49:51