Chinese Company Names Sunglasses After Helen Keller: Brilliant or Bad Idea?

Business 2012/04/21 23:41:37
A new line of luxury sunglasses named after a blind icon? We sure didn’t see (pun intended) that one coming!

But this is no joke. A Chinese company has actually named their eyewear after the famously deafblind Helen Keller who, by the way, never actually wore sunglasses! You may be wondering: Is this a case of deliberate eyerony? A glaring oversight? Something lost in translation? Apparently, none of the above.

According to the Washington Post, “Helen Keller is apparently a staple of China’s school curriculum – an exemplary figure that overcame her disabilities to make a mark – and a socialist to boot.”

Furthermore, the company’s spokesperson Chen Wenjing said that they were fully aware that Helen Keller was blind, but chose the figure for what she represented: “her philanthropist spirit which spread optimism around the world.” Hmm . . . we’re not sure we buy that explanation.

As if this story wasn’t ridiculous enough, the company’s motto—“You see the world, the world sees you”—just seems to make the use of Keller’s name feel even more insensitive. Yet, some are calling the marketing strategy bold. After all, the Helen Keller sunglasses certainly have received significant media attention.

What do you think SodaHeads? Was the Chinese company’s decision to name their new line of sunglasses after Helen Keller brilliant or a bad idea?

Read More: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/20/chinese-compan...

Bad Idea
    +17
    As someone who is now vision impaired (yep .. my blindness is recent indeed)
    This is INSULTING ..
    Obviously .. not a joking matter ..
    For I do have to protect myself .. and what's left of my eyes ..
    (I use shields .. because I can still sense things .. but it also means I have migraines if too much light hits my eyes).

• ConLibFraud 2012/04/22 00:38:53
    Bad Idea
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    I can't see this as being a good idea.
  • shadowgirl 2012/04/22 00:37:43
    Bad Idea
    shadowgirl
    +3
    The irony here, is not that funny to me.
  • Heffeweizen 2012/04/22 00:36:14
    Bad Idea
    Heffeweizen
    +2
    One can only hope that this was one of those things lost in translation, but I get the feeling it's not.
    Bad Idea
    +17
    This is INSULTING ..
    Obviously .. not a joking matter ..
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/22 15:43:19
    Omni
    How are you blind and able to use the internet? Let alone participate in photography?
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/22 21:52:16
    +3
    There are others who are professional photographers .. who also are blind too ..
    I can see lights and shadows .. I know where I am at .. I've had decades of wonderful experience of bringing a camera with me (both in the Military Service and while in Civilian Employ .. )
    I recognize the beauty .. the cameras .. the SLRs nowadays have abilities that older ones didn't have .. and with computer chips .. the firmware can also be adapted .. modified .. so that those with even my blindness can use them ..
    (and yes, although I can't focus myself .. I do remember how to do these things .. develop film (it is easy .. routine .. I've done it thousands of time myself .. a process) .. expose papers (although I have help focusing the image) .. )
    And for the internet .. ever hear of text to speech .. speech to text software?
    There's a LOT now available so that the Blind, the Deaf, those with movement disorders can participate in everyday activities ..

(I'm always INSULTED by those who feel that we who have some disability .. seem to think that we are totally incompetent, childish, unable to participate in daily enjoyment activities .. I earned my Degrees (UGrad/Grad) .. I've had full careers .. just because my eyes don't work doesn't equate to me losing the ability to know how to .. write programs .. build things, measure, cook, clean .. take care of my home .. manage my personal affairs .. enjoy hobbies .. etc).
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/22 22:30:24 (edited)
    Omni
    +1
    I was never calling you incompetent, and that was never my issue. I'm just baffled by a blind person being able to use the internet. How could you even read what I said?

Photography is different. I understand you being able to do that through light and shadows. The internet, well, I'm still confused about that.
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/22 23:05:08
    There's no difference between Photography .. adaptations there .. and also finding adaptive equipment for the blind to use to be on the internet ..
    (and yes, I've spent a lot of my personal earnings to obtain the adaptive equipment).
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/22 23:11:17
    Omni
    Can I ask what this equipment is? I'm actually interested in its engineering :D
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/22 23:42:44
    What I've actually purchased .. I'm not going to endorse any products online ..
    But there's any number of corporations .. for which you can obtain current price lists and products for a wide variety of disabilities .. and to meet the needs .. Just do a google search on these product ..
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/22 23:54:09 (edited)
    Omni
    Yeah, I found something: http://gizmodo.com/5620079/gi...

Shocked that it's possible. Question, though. You said you became blind recently. Are you merely "legally" blind, and can actually see a picture up-close? -or is everything just light and shadows, no matter how close something is to you and no matter how much you focus in on it?

I can't imagine becoming blind after spending the majority of my life seeing. Must have been rough at first. Probably still is rough.
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/22 23:57:19
    I've blogged on this ..
    I had bilateral Retinal Detachment (both eyes -- huge holes) .. I've got Lattice Degeneration .. and Cataracts (amongst other things .. I've had concussive injuries in the Military Services .. so yes, there's already damage to the face/orbit) ..
    Needless to say .. the damage to my eyes is extensive ..
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/23 00:00:34
    Omni
    +1
    Damn, and I thought my myopia was bad "^__^

Mind if I see the blog you wrote?
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/23 00:13:18
    +2
    Here's some links .. the oldest was when I first experienced the loss .. and it has gotten progressively worse ..
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

And yes, it is a CHALLENGE indeed .. the scariest part of my home is the Kitchen .. being single .. I need to do things for myself .. I have taken classes to learn to cook once again and even had family members come to my home and help me reorganize things in the house (so that I was safe .. and I could place the sound dots to know where the sharps were and got into a pattern of finding them safely .. having things a certain way too).
  • Omni sglmom 2012/04/23 02:31:21 (edited)
    Omni
    +2
    Thanks. I've read them all now. Honestly, I feel incredible empathy for you, but at the same time, I envy your ability to now see past the visible, and embrace the intricacies of life. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my vision. My whole world rests in the visible — reading, interacting with the world, actually being able to see the world. Though I know you're a bit older than I, and have already experienced all these to a much greater degree than I have, the loss of your sight must still be terrifying for you. Heh, hopefully you don't lose hope :]
  • sglmom Omni 2012/04/23 02:37:24
    +2
    I've not lost any hope at all .. in fact .. the tech is my best friend ..
    It is quite interesting all the very USEFUL Apps for my Smartphone that help me each and every day ..
    (and yet .. there are those who would want to JAM smartphones in restaurants, etc .. I rely on my Smartphone to scan, 'read' the menu for me .. and also to help me track such as cash in hand, etc!)
  • joe mauro sglmom 2012/04/23 04:46:15
    joe mauro
    +3
    you are an inspiration to me
  • sglmom joe mauro 2012/04/23 04:49:05
    +1
    Thanks for the wonderful compliment!
  • joe mauro sglmom 2012/04/23 04:51:56
    joe mauro
    +1
    from my heart
  • BOOGIE-... Omni 2012/04/23 00:52:20
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +3
    I went totally blind and lost what little side I did have I cannot see live and I cannot see colors I can't see anything it's totally gone , at this time I am using an iPhone. This handheld device has many features, gPS navigation you would never believe the many uses of the iPhone's camera wow it has a money reader, a color identification system!! If you want to really have some fun check out this website, www.applevis.com you will be amazed and surprised to meet the many blind people, who lead the way and technology this is so awesome
  • sglmom BOOGIE-... 2012/04/23 02:39:21
    +2
    I've got an Android phone .. and the apps do help me maintain a very INDEPENDENT Lifestyle .. it is amazing when folks realize what I do with the apps -- and how I use them .. each day. I'm glad for the color ids, the money readers, the scanning functions, the text to speech and everything else I use (and the QR readers are great .. tells me about the products too).
  • BOOGIE-... sglmom 2012/04/23 20:07:04
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +2
    That's really cool , I am just like you , I enjoy my independence and investing my money toward my equipment software and services. Everything is so stylish Mobile and easy to use
  • patchulie Omni 2012/04/23 17:37:17
    patchulie
    +1
    As am i
  • joe mauro sglmom 2012/04/23 04:44:57
  • patchulie sglmom 2012/04/23 17:35:58
    patchulie
    +2
    Thank you for your service to our country...
    I don't mean to be insensitive, as I have a life altering disability, myself, idiopathic(which means, unknown origin, but it's stress) Dysphonia(that means inability to make sound, my husband is happy about that one;-)
    But seriously, just when I figure out how to computer, they create, the idea of TALKING, and the computer TYPES the words... Just my rotten luck
  • edm2000 sglmom 2012/04/22 17:42:24
    edm2000
    +2
    I lost vision in one eye and continue to have issues with the other eye. I understand what you mean. It is insensitive of China. May they fail. Wouldn't it be ironic if the inventor/designer and promoters have vision problems in their future!
  • sglmom edm2000 2012/04/22 21:54:22
    +3
    Although I do not have ill wishes to anyone .. they definitely are insensitive indeed ..
    (it would definitely be ironic for sure)

It also is insulting to know how many .. even here on-line .. are unable to recognize that we, who are disabled .. CAN and DO participate in everyday life and we have our own talents and skills .. enjoy hobbies, and just live!
  • BOOGIE-... sglmom 2012/04/23 19:40:28
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    I agree..
  • DoxieDad 2012/04/22 00:23:57
    Brilliant
    DoxieDad
    Seriously, how many Americans under 45 even know who Helen Keller was?
  • tobe DoxieDad 2012/04/22 01:03:02
    tobe
    +5
    um.. me
  • DoxieDad tobe 2012/04/22 13:54:38
    DoxieDad
    +2
    Well good for you. Now go out and ask some other young Americans and see the response you get. I have no faith in the way kids are brought up today to know much of anything.
  • tobe DoxieDad 2012/04/23 02:45:16
    tobe
    +2
    Oh, im not denying that the majority of young americans of today are a bunch of morons. Im with you on that. I just dont set the bar at 45 and I worked for 5 years next to a 52 year old moron and worked for one who was older than he was and equally ignorant. When i was in school we studied Helen Keller, John Deere as well as alot of other important figures in american history. My mom was a teacher and she was until after my generation had passed on into adulthood and all those kids knew who hellen keller was as well many other important people in american history. So they are quite a bit younger than me.
  • DoxieDad tobe 2012/04/23 13:08:16
    DoxieDad
    I know alot of morons my own age so don't feel like you're alone. :o)
  • The Inc... DoxieDad 2012/04/22 01:54:35
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +5
    I do, I did since I was 6 and read countless books on her during my pre-teen years.
    1990's baby- most of my peers did too.
    She was an amazing person, my parents and I both respected her very much for her strength and determination- and also her teacher so helping bring about such a change in her.
  • DoxieDad The Inc... 2012/04/22 13:55:55
    DoxieDad
    Good for you.
  • VenomHalos DoxieDad 2012/04/22 17:25:13
    VenomHalos
    +3
    I'm not American, but I do. And I'm pretty sure that almost everyone I know does as well.
  • S123 VenomHalos 2012/04/22 17:51:00 (edited)
    S123
    +1
    So do I. I think there probably a lot of people teens and young adults in North America who know who she is.
  • Inquisi... DoxieDad 2012/04/22 20:07:43
    Inquisitve Kat
    Actually, she's still quite well known among youth... she's one of the few figures that's still discussed at great length in schools.
  • DoxieDad Inquisi... 2012/04/22 20:20:14
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Thank you I did not realize that. I do stand corrected. Thank you to all. :o)
  • Inquisi... DoxieDad 2012/04/23 05:49:18
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Hey, I can see why you thought youth wouldn't know who she is... a lot of historical figures are no longer discussed, sadly.

2014/08/23 01:45:56