Chinese Company Names Sunglasses After Helen Keller: Brilliant or Bad Idea?

Business 2012/04/21 23:41:37
A new line of luxury sunglasses named after a blind icon? We sure didn’t see (pun intended) that one coming!

But this is no joke. A Chinese company has actually named their eyewear after the famously deafblind Helen Keller who, by the way, never actually wore sunglasses! You may be wondering: Is this a case of deliberate eyerony? A glaring oversight? Something lost in translation? Apparently, none of the above.

According to the Washington Post, “Helen Keller is apparently a staple of China’s school curriculum – an exemplary figure that overcame her disabilities to make a mark – and a socialist to boot.”

Furthermore, the company’s spokesperson Chen Wenjing said that they were fully aware that Helen Keller was blind, but chose the figure for what she represented: “her philanthropist spirit which spread optimism around the world.” Hmm . . . we’re not sure we buy that explanation.

As if this story wasn’t ridiculous enough, the company’s motto—“You see the world, the world sees you”—just seems to make the use of Keller’s name feel even more insensitive. Yet, some are calling the marketing strategy bold. After all, the Helen Keller sunglasses certainly have received significant media attention.

What do you think SodaHeads? Was the Chinese company’s decision to name their new line of sunglasses after Helen Keller brilliant or a bad idea?

Read More: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/20/chinese-compan...

Bad Idea
    +17
    As someone who is now vision impaired (yep .. my blindness is recent indeed)
    This is INSULTING ..
    Obviously .. not a joking matter ..
    For I do have to protect myself .. and what's left of my eyes ..
    (I use shields .. because I can still sense things .. but it also means I have migraines if too much light hits my eyes).

• BOOGIE-... Temlako... 2012/04/22 13:35:20
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    I am now totally blind, no light reception Colors and images etc. are totally gone.. Thank you for giving a description of the sun glasses what is really cool about life is when people who can see ,, Share information with me smile! If these sunglasses turned out not to be presentable then they will go on The Gong show!! Or they will be the weakest link
  • Gasbagmike 2012/04/22 11:14:30
    Bad Idea
    Gasbagmike
    +1
    Those are very ugly sunglasses, they are obviously too big for someone's face. if they get any bigger, this is what you'll get
    sunglasses someones bigger
  • BOOGIE-... Gasbagmike 2012/04/22 13:51:16
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    Oh Lord here's what's going on I would like to know the name of the American company because the Chinese are a very intelligent people they will only be able to sale those sunglasses at the county fair
  • Angela Gasbagmike 2012/04/22 14:56:56
    Angela
    LOL!!
  • Sue MacDonald Kyak 2012/04/22 11:12:00
    Bad Idea
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +1
    How utterly tacky - hope they go bankrupt.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/04/22 08:38:38
    Brilliant
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Maybe we should ask Stevie?

stevie wonder
  • RoseyRhod littleb... 2012/04/22 18:01:09
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    However, Stevie Wonder is alive and thus could give his approval if he liked the idea of a line of sunglasses being named in his honor. Helen Keller gets no say in the matter, unless one decides to consult the Ouija board.
  • littleb... RoseyRhod 2012/04/22 22:33:00
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    HaHaa,,,,,very true and if we are going to do that I want to hookup with Harry Houdini!

ouija board
  • Jacob Mahurien 2012/04/22 08:33:33
    Brilliant
    Jacob Mahurien
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S HILARIOUS.
  • ken2ak 2012/04/22 07:43:14
    Bad Idea
    ken2ak
    Chinese always use America names and think it's cool.
  • Met 2012/04/22 07:38:07
    Brilliant
    Met
    lol.

Let me guess, the American nanny state is not amused...
  • Z-Wolf 2012/04/22 06:58:00
    Bad Idea
    Z-Wolf
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not creative and doesn't make much sense. But, it's not that offensive. It's a passing moment.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/22 06:46:13
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/04/22 06:43:03
    Brilliant
    nothingbutthetruth
    Every celebrity has some kind of product used in the form of promotion.(:
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/04/22 11:13:30
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    Well, I'm pretty sure that Helen Keller is not endorsing this product.
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/04/30 09:24:21
    nothingbutthetruth
    Well, you know her better than I do. So the story end here!
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/05/03 02:19:59
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    Can you endorse something when you're dead?!?!? Didn't think so.
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/05/03 09:55:50
    nothingbutthetruth
    Dead or alive, you can!
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/05/08 01:01:48
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +1
    Duh, we all know that Helen Keller is not actually endorsing anything these days.
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/05/09 03:07:25
    nothingbutthetruth
    Duh, whatever you say!!
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/05/30 02:27:26
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    Good response (not really).
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/06/03 05:43:42
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    That's what you really all about, giving and taking back. Don't even have the nerves to do things freely!
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/06/27 09:10:11
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    Huh??? Read your response again - "what you really about" and "the nerves"?
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/06/30 06:50:38
    nothingbutthetruth
    Just take it like a good woman does!
  • Sue Mac... nothing... 2012/07/06 13:32:59
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +1
    Goodbye.
  • nothing... Sue Mac... 2012/07/10 07:47:33
    nothingbutthetruth
    Thank you, I been waiting for your "GOODBYE" a long time ago!
  • Gooky 2012/04/22 06:31:17 (edited)
    Bad Idea
    Gooky
  • Nica24 2012/04/22 06:22:00
    Bad Idea
    Nica24
    =\\
  • joe mauro 2012/04/22 05:58:06
    Bad Idea
    joe mauro
    This is yet another instance of the disturbing trend in the usa today of laughing at the handicapped,It is not only socially acceptable to belittle the challenged it is encouraged.As a physically challenged person i see and feel the hate growing every day. We the challenged have no political power so there are no reprisals for any person corporation or government official who openly humiliates us. We are the current n word in america. We are now discriminated against not only in the work place but on tv ,films and books daily.We are the last group of people who its cool to ra gon. We are treated the way american blacks wer in the 1950s asians in the sixtiesand gays in the seventies. These groups thru a long and painful process now have guarteened rights with one and only one exception not if they are handicapped.We the challenged are black white asian native america his panic and multi racial,we are rich poor and middle class we are young and old,we work pay our taxes servr in the military and contribute greatly to the american dream yet we are bullied lide to cheated and publiccally humilitiate more and more each day.Now its cool for even the president of the united sttes to laugh at us on international tv something i never thought i would ever see in my lifetime.As for the ...
    This is yet another instance of the disturbing trend in the usa today of laughing at the handicapped,It is not only socially acceptable to belittle the challenged it is encouraged.As a physically challenged person i see and feel the hate growing every day. We the challenged have no political power so there are no reprisals for any person corporation or government official who openly humiliates us. We are the current n word in america. We are now discriminated against not only in the work place but on tv ,films and books daily.We are the last group of people who its cool to ra gon. We are treated the way american blacks wer in the 1950s asians in the sixtiesand gays in the seventies. These groups thru a long and painful process now have guarteened rights with one and only one exception not if they are handicapped.We the challenged are black white asian native america his panic and multi racial,we are rich poor and middle class we are young and old,we work pay our taxes servr in the military and contribute greatly to the american dream yet we are bullied lide to cheated and publiccally humilitiate more and more each day.Now its cool for even the president of the united sttes to laugh at us on international tv something i never thought i would ever see in my lifetime.As for the brilliant Helen Keller who has always been an inspiration to me and millions of other blind and nearly blind people,she is not around today to voice her opinion of this current humiliation.This constant putting down of the blind is sickening to me and millions of others america has once the beacon and hope for a man like me,know in my senior years i myself am laughed at in public and it gets worse all the time.I wish that sighted people would think about my feeling and how something like this sunglass issue may seem harmless to them believe me it is not.
  • TheBorg joe mauro 2012/04/22 06:27:28
    TheBorg
    +2
    "...the disturbing trend in the usa today of laughing at the handicapped,..."

Trend? Americans have been laughing at handicapped people since forever. For a while it was less public but it never diminished. It is also not increasing, it is just becoming more public again because politics has made it OK and acceptable to publicly hate people.

I hope when you refer to handicapped you are referring to mental illness as well because I would argue that whatever hatred, resentment or animosity physically handicapped people face, those with mental illness have it even worse.
    illness argue hatred resentment animosity physically handicapped people mental illness
  • joe mauro TheBorg 2012/04/22 20:28:42
    joe mauro
    +1
    i thank you for the comments i hope we agree that bullying is a growyng trend espwcially cyber bullying.
  • TheBorg joe mauro 2012/04/23 03:29:53
    TheBorg
    +1
    Oh yes, cyber-bulling is out of control and getting worse. Because of the public aspect, I can see how cyber-bullying can be even worse than bullying face to face. I think the biggest problem with cyber-bullying is that no one knows what to do about it. Local police think schools should deal with it and most ignorant people don't understand how devastating and frequent it can be and therefore don't think it a serious problem.
  • joe mauro TheBorg 2012/04/23 04:38:57
    joe mauro
    +1
    parents students and teachers need to be educated how it being socially acceptable to rag people ends up killing more and more people each year thanks for the insight.
  • TheBorg joe mauro 2012/04/23 04:56:17
    TheBorg
    I must admit, I keep flip flopping on the issue as to who should address it. Schools should educate but who should enforce and punish? More and more school districts in the US are writing policies that allow them to punish students who engage in cyber-bullying but the counter argument is that it takes place outside of school and off school property so they have no authority and therefore it is a local police matter.

I know it is a huge problem. I know it needs to be address. What I keep changing my mind on is HOW it should be addressed.

If a 16 year old is cyber-bullying another 16 year old, what should be done about it? Should the school punish? Should the local police punish? Both?

Currently I think both. The school should be involved and the juvenile needs to go in front of a judge and have the law say to him or her that he or she is no longer allowed to use social media sites like Facebook or Google+ and if it happens again they will not be allowed to own or use a computer (like they do to pedophiles and hackers).
  • joe mauro TheBorg 2012/04/23 07:07:55
    joe mauro
    obviously,there are no simple answers there never are to new quickly expanding problems.However i think education is a must this must get more attention in the news media at pta meetings and really should be addressed at the upcoming political conventions,i really do not think the general public realizes the scope of the problem if it continues to be ignored it will get much worse and the bullies will be younger and younger.
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/22 05:53:43
    Bad Idea
    +2
    Something is definitely lost in translation.
  • The Mosher 2012/04/22 05:05:38
    Bad Idea
    The Mosher
    Can you say milking it?
  • Wrinkleranch 2012/04/22 05:01:04
    Bad Idea
    Wrinkleranch
    +1
    Tacky!
  • Splinter76 2012/04/22 04:37:19
    Bad Idea
    Splinter76
    Made me laugh though.
  • joe mauro Splinter76 2012/04/22 20:29:38
    joe mauro
    figures

2014/11/22 10:36:09