Chicago Woman Loses 4th Child to 'Gun Violence' - ABC News: How is gun control working-out for Chicago?

FanOreilly 2013/01/28 02:11:22

At least five people were gunned down Saturday in Chicago, including a 34-year-old man whose mother had already lost her three other children to shootings.

Ronnie Chambers, who was his mother Shirley's youngest child, was shot in the head while sitting in a parked car on the city's West Side. A 21-year-old man who was also in the car was wounded, police said.

Shirley Chambers, whose two other sons and daughter were shot in separate attacks more than a decade ago, was left grieving again on Saturday, WLS-TV reported ( http://bit.ly/VCSh8i ).

"Right now, I'm totally lost because Ronnie was my only surviving son," Chambers said.

chicago youth gun violence

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
Chicago Woman Loses 4th Child to Gun Violence

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/die-shootings-b...

Gun control does not work, just look at Chicago
    +12
    Condolences to the lady ..
    (NO one should have to bury all their children in such a horrific way)

Needless to say ..
    that 'control' only LIMITS the law abiding ..
    as CHICAGO knows ..
    the THUGS .. gangs ... criminals .. all will find a way to obtain their weapon of choice OUTSIDE of legal ways ..

• dejarawrr 2013/02/05 01:41:40
    Gun control is working fine at killing Chicago's youth
    dejarawrr
    You want solution!???? here it is. Kill them all! Kill all those who have contributed nothing and wont contribute anything to society. They don't care about themselves, they obviously don't want to act like civil humans, so kill them and their parents because ( I speak of most cases, for there are good parents whose children become cretins and criminals) they haven't done their job to guide their offspring. There is no saving most of those brainwashed savages on the streets. Too harsh? okay let's be fair, give them a chance to straighten up, but if they refuse to act accordingly and continuously break the law kill them or exile them to some remote place where survival is very unlikely. Jail doesn't scare these rabid beasts, KILL them!! These victims deserved to live!!! America would solve a lot of their problems if they just killed the cretins who want to be in a gang or just cause issues. Kill them all!!! demolish the violence!! This demonstration of zero tolerance will in turn discourage those of the younger generation to not become involved in crime. Give the ultimatum live right or die. Simple
  • juneathomas 2013/02/02 22:33:36
  • us 2013/02/01 04:52:39
    us
    gun control does not work criminals, gangs, will always find way to get guns.
  • Hawk 2013/01/29 20:23:03
    Hawk
    When chicago pased the gun cotrol laws the violence increased ,it let the criminals know the law abiding citizens didn`t have any protection. The criminals don`t follow the law.
  • Einstein's Firecracker 2013/01/29 16:07:53
    Einstein's Firecracker
    But, it keeps the criminals well armed, and someday Chicago will have the fastest runners.
  • SonofSpermcube 2013/01/29 04:47:23
    SonofSpermcube
    I kill all the mosquitoes in my apartment every night before I go to sleep, yet somehow there are always more within a day or two! Clearly there is no point trying to control mosquitoes.

If you can see what is wrong with this reasoning, then you should be able to see what is wrong with yours.
  • Rick 2013/01/29 03:43:12
    Rick
    The people voted for these idiots and and look what it has gotten them! NADA! You need to start protecting yourselves and screw the feds or idiots like the ones in Chicago, DC, New York, or etc.
  • FlyGalsMom 2013/01/29 02:18:06
    FlyGalsMom
    I can't conceive losing one child in such an horrific manner, much less four of them~ What a tragedy, but I am sure the guns used were not legal.
  • TidBit 2013/01/29 02:04:13
    TidBit
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2013/01/29 00:39:07 (edited)
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    Some of us 'get it' and clearly those in Chicago DON'T!
  • Chrissi 2013/01/28 23:07:26
    Chrissi
    And killing is going on-helter-skelter-throughout the country. Why do Repugs have to damn things before they're proposed???
  • deadlyangel21 2013/01/28 20:19:18
    deadlyangel21
    +2
    Gun control DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!! The only people that will follow it is law abiding citizens. Do you think a robber or rapist or killer cares about laws? NO! All gun control does is limit the bullets we can use to defend ourselves from people who DON'T FOLLOW THE LAWS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • frank 2013/01/28 18:24:03
    frank
    +3
    I feel sorry for the Mother losing another child to gun fire. This only goes to show you that gun control for honest people does not save lives! Remember, that is where Obama is from.
  • britbiker 2013/01/28 17:50:19
    britbiker
    +2
    Gun Control, Tying the hands of the legal Gun owners
  • 4570GOVT 2013/01/28 17:24:44
    4570GOVT
    +2
    To the poor woman ................ " Get Out " Of THE MURDER CAPITOL OF AMERICA !
  • FlyGalsMom 4570GOVT 2013/01/29 02:43:34
    FlyGalsMom
    +1
    ~Isn't it ironic that the murder capitol of America is also 0bummer's American home town by choice?
  • 4570GOVT FlyGalsMom 2013/01/29 17:28:27 (edited)
    4570GOVT
    Ironic ? ~ I think it speaks volumes about the man !
    Where else could a fraud like him get ahead in his sick , twisted political life ? It is THE MOST Corrupt City in America !
    Obie has taken " The Chicago " Way " to New Levels Of Corruption . Chicago is run by criminals For Criminals ! They Are ALL " On The Take "- And NOTHING Happens In Chicago Without Bribes & Cash Trading Hands . Obama sent his Bag Man and Wise Guy RAHM back there to get his organization IN LINE .
    They ( Chicago ) have several past mayors and governors of the state , as well as various other polititions DOING TIME for " Doing Business - THE CHICAGO WAY " .
    Hell , Obie got elected into office by " doing it " the Chicago Way ............. he had ALL ofhis opponents DISQUALIFIED ! ........................... What A Guy ! ;-)
  • lucky 2013/01/28 16:24:27
    lucky
    +2
    Sorry but I cant get past the odds of that happening to any one single family unless that family was specifically being targeted by a person or group.
  • lynn lucky 2013/01/28 23:09:52
    lynn
    +1
    Or unless those family members were involved in gang activity, drugs, etc.
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/01/28 23:52:57
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    I moved from Houston to the Lawndale area of Chicago to be with my woman who is from there. Lawndale is arguably the worst part of the west side. Plenty of men who Love to shoot. Just be on the wrong block, youre DEAD. Random killings just because they CAN are common. I HATE that place.
  • lynn SuperUl... 2013/01/29 15:10:47
    lynn
    +2
    I feel for you, and I think it's ridiculous that our government has allowed any of our cities-- let alone so many of them-- to become the violent places they are. This is one reason there is so much support for private gun ownership, because the authorities simply cannot protect everyone. Of course, it isn't about the authorities or guns, really, it's about solving the problems within our society that exacerbate these violent lifestyles. I've watched violence grow worse through the years, even in smaller cities and towns. There seems to be a general lack of respect for anything amongst many of our youth, which I blame on the schools and bad parenting in a large part for not providing the proper discipline and direction. I've seen that drugs do play their part in my own small town, but still there are no easy answers and there are a lot of problems that must be addressed. All I can tell you is take care, my friend. I hope these senseless acts never darken your life.
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/02/03 12:33:35
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    It all started when they banned corporal punishment in schools. When I was a kid I'd get swatted in front of the whole class, by the teacher, when I got out of line. Yeah, I came out rotten anyway but still, I never had the level of disrespect for my elders or society as what you see in the youth of today. But to be fair, so many "elders" today are not worthy of respect just because they're "old". Look at it from the youth's perspective: why should they respect and obey people who still live like they can do whatever they want. A lot of older people are just as bad as the youth. Oh well, my kids are good so I'm alright, esp now that we're out of Lawndale.
  • lynn SuperUl... 2013/02/05 17:49:28
    lynn
    +1
    I agree completely, be it minor or elder, respect has to be earned on both sides.
  • lucky lynn 2013/01/29 15:19:37
    lucky
    Usually in those criminal activities someone is being targeted so in a sense our meanings are the same.
  • lynn lucky 2013/01/29 15:28:17
    lynn
    True enough. The real problem is a general lack of respect for life and order. Drug addiction does drive those enslaved to it to do terrible things, but society has allowed drug addiction to flourish and has failed to fix the problems that cause it-- poverty beig one of the worst.
  • lucky lynn 2013/01/29 15:35:47
    lucky
    +1
    I disagree about what causes it. Drugs have no economic boundaries, they affect the rich and middle class just as much as they affect those living in poverty, the only real difference I have seen is those that are well off are more capable of paying their way out of trouble or hiding it.
  • lynn lucky 2013/01/29 17:31:16
    lynn
    My point was that the dependency on drugs drives the poor to commit crimes in order to pay for them. Those who are rich or even have a source of steady income can afford them without turning to criminal activity.
  • lucky lynn 2013/01/29 18:25:57
    lucky
    +1
    I dont really agree with that completely either but dont feel that disagreement needs to be argued/debated. I will say I agree those living in poverty need opportunities to help themselves get out of poverty.
  • lynn lucky 2013/01/29 23:27:18
    lynn
    +2
    At least that much we can agree on.
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/02/03 12:43:09
  • lynn SuperUl... 2013/02/05 17:53:38
    lynn
    +1
    I'm sincerely glad to hear how you've overcome those obstacles. Congratulations, you have my best wishes for yourself and your family.
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/02/03 12:36:48
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    People are poor for a reason. Those who can overcome DO overcome, the rest just stay poor. There is opportunity. My ex-wife came here at 22 years old, from Kenya, with $700 and a suitcase. She worked her ass off and is now an RN just 5 years into the game. She'll be a doctor before it's over. We need to realize that there is a difference between winners and losers. Some people just don't care to see that. If we stop saying "it's ok, it's not your fault" to the losers maybe some of them will become winners instead of making excuses.
  • lynn SuperUl... 2013/02/05 17:52:39
    lynn
    +1
    I couldn't agree more, my friend.
  • lynn 2013/01/28 16:18:18
    lynn
    +2
    Once again, the utter failure to address the genuine problems of society while focusing on a mere tool like a gun, is clearly not any sort of solution. We must look at the circumstances behind these acts of violence, whether it's a shooting or a pipe bomb or a car run into a crowd or building, or a truck loaded with fertilizer and used as a large-scale explosive. We must consider what has changed in our society to cause people to do these things (guns are not it, before 1968 firearms of all sorts were far more accessible and prevalent).
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/02/03 12:48:28
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    The circumstances are that the people that are in that life want that. I know, I was there, for years. Many years. I could give a sheet about "programs" and "opportunities". Don't think for them, in your way of thinking. They don't think like you, don't want to be like you. Understand that and you'll understand them. They can change, but so can you. Gangsters WANT to be gangsters. Really. It's a life, a culture, and it IS you entire world when you're in it just as YOUR world is YOUR world while YOU'RE in it. You could pick up a pipe and become a hype. You could pick up a pistol and go get yours. Anytime. You choose not to because that's just not you, now. The same for them. They could put down the pipe, put down the pistol, go to work, pay some taxes. It's just not "them" at the moment but that CAN change. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. All I know is nobody has the answer because there is no one answer. There are as many answers as there are people.
  • lynn SuperUl... 2013/02/05 17:54:52
    lynn
    +1
    That I can also agree with.
  • SuperUl... lynn 2013/02/03 12:53:37
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    They have no respect because they have nothing to respect. Paradoxes. Parents who put themselves first and their kids last. Politicians who blatantly lie. Schools which "dumb it down" because they don't want "competition" to make inferior kids FEEL inferior. What do they have to strive for? MAN IS MADE TO STRUGGLE. Take away the struggle and we'll make our own struggle. Rich folks used to and still do explore Africa, climb mountains, experience hardship voluntarily. Why? Because man is made to struggle, to overcome. By trying to make it easy we've made this generation and the last few before it BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS because it just isn't hard enough. Men (and women) are WARRIORS, we come from many thousands of years of warrior mentality: do or die. Now what? Lay up and get a check from the government? Let them tell us how much we can have? I think not...
  • Popeye 2013/01/28 16:15:41
  • mikeyavelli 2013/01/28 16:12:07
    mikeyavelli
    +2
    it's not gun anything, it's thugs who use a gun, or a machete, or a car, or a bomb, or an axe. doesn't matter, guns are just more efficient and less cumbersome.
  • Danielle 2013/01/28 16:12:07

2014/09/03 00:15:06