Chevy Volt Costs Taxpayers Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars Per Car: Green Fail?

Fef 2012/07/17 17:34:22
Green energy costs money to research, develop, deploy and convert the public. America and other nations have used public funds paid by taxpayers to "make the switch" to Green energy. Sometimes Green investments fail, like Solyndra and numerous other solar power and alternative energy companies. The investment costs more than the company can sell the product.

The government has touted its investment in the Chevy Volt, but has the Green investment in the worked or failed? The plug-in hybrid electric vehicle manufactured by General Motors costs taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars per car, and GM has sold nearly 20,000 cars.

The EPA has rated the Chevy Volt as the sixth most fuel-efficient compact car with a gasoline engine sold in the United States. The 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV nearly doubles the fuel efficiency of the Chevy Volt.

Has the Green investment in Chevy Volt worked? Seton Motley from Newsbusters.org criticizes the government for the Volt's failure while the media has hailed it a success:
The President is running in large part on the bailout’s $30+ billion loss, uber-failed “success.” And the Press is acting as his stenographers. An epitome of this bailout nightmare mess is the electric absurdity that is the Chevrolet Volt. The Press is at every turn covering up - rather than covering - the serial failures of President Obama’s signature vehicle.

GM-Volt.com reports on the cost of the Chevy Volt: According to multiple GM executives there is little or no profit being made on each Volt built at a present cost of around $40,000. Furthermore, the $700 million of development that went into the car has to be recouped.

The New York Times reports: (A)dd $240 million in Energy Department grants doled out to G.M. last summer, $150 million in federal money to the Volt’s Korean battery supplier, up to $1.5 billion in tax breaks for purchasers and other consumer incentives, and some significant portion of the $14 billion loan G.M. got in 2008 for “retooling” its plants, and you’ve got some idea of how much taxpayer cash is built into every Volt.

LessGovernment.com reports that taxpayers also pay for the tax subsidy of each Chevy Volt sold: That finds that the unprofitable, unpopular, repeatedly and six month covered-up combustible Chevy Volt – receives up to $250,000 per car sold in government subsidies.
x

Read More: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/seton-motley/2012/07/...

• Claybern 2012/07/21 23:13:16
    Green Fail
    Claybern
    Obummer has no clue on green energy and it has costs us a hell of alot of our hard earned tax money.
    Green Fail
    +1
    This has Obama's name on it.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/07/18 22:00:32
    Green Success
    Tennessee3501
    Only time will tell for sure!
    Green Fail
    +1
    Add it to the list along with Solyndra.
  • mac9 2012/07/18 16:26:39
    Green Fail
    mac9
    +2
    All green has been a failure and a sham on taxpayers.
  • ParkMan 2012/07/18 11:48:50
    Green Success
    ParkMan
    I'm sure the folks at GM have learned a lot about building an electric car in the process. Just because they did not recoup their investment (yet) doesn't mean the whole project was a failure.

It might take them longer to recoup their expenses, but the things they have learned may just give them a competitive edge in this technology for many years to come.
  • Crankney - PKM 2012/07/18 11:34:51
    Green Fail
    Crankney - PKM
    +1
    Typical results when "green" fools are left in "charge" (come on, that's funny!)
  • USAF Vet 2012/07/18 10:07:39
    Green Fail
    USAF Vet
    +3
    The Chevy Volt is pure progressive cronyism; liberals greasing the palms of the UAW and the AFL-CIO, environmental wig-jobs, and General Electric. 'Electric' cars may be practical in Lechenstein and Monaco, but in the vast open spaces of this country, forget it.

This administration privatized the risk and is attempting to socialize the gain; a gain that is never going to happen; but for now, it's window dressing and pabulum for the hysterical left.

The federal government cringes at the thought of any mass produced high mileage vehicle in this country, and why...because tax revenues from the purchase of fuel will drop by 200%. Watch the video and draw your own conclusion:

• luke USAF Vet 2012/07/18 15:43:37
    luke
    EVs should be purely designed to be city cars.
  • 2sly 2012/07/18 09:29:12
    Green Fail
    2sly
    +2
    They can take all the green crap and keep it. I would never pay 40,000 for a Volt or any other battery operated car. When it comes time to replace those batteries you better have deep pockets I hear they cost 8 thousand for the battery
    I'll keep driving my 2012 Silverado truck that gets 20 MPG.
  • Windy 2012/07/18 08:41:39
    Green Fail
    Windy
    +2
    Unless the plug in electric car charging stations are solar powered, it will put a strain on energy bills for everyone, merely trading one kind of fuel cost for another. The gas/electric hybrid Prius (at least those which came out before 2012) does not need to be plugged in, the battery charges while the wheels are turning, if we are going to go to electric cars, why not put alternators on every wheel and solar panels on the roof and hood?
  • John Hall 2012/07/18 08:40:13
    Green Fail
    John Hall
    +2
    The chevy volt is a huge failure and a waste of money .
  • Windy John Hall 2012/07/18 08:44:51
    Windy
    +3
    When I first heard about the Volt, I wanted one, now I'm happy to NOT have one, I have a Prius and even tho it lacks some of the things I loved about my Buick Le Sabre I'm happy enough with it, especially with the mileage (my Buick would get up to 34 on the hwy but only 18 in town, my Prius gets 52 on hwy and about 42 in town).
  • John Hall Windy 2012/07/18 11:46:23
    John Hall
    +2
    You have a good car the chevy volt was pushed all because of Obama and the green energy program . This car is horrible and as usuall the main stream media didn't tell the people the truth on this car :
  • weirdchickalert 2012/07/18 08:05:15
    Green Success
    weirdchickalert
    ;D
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/18 06:54:30
    Green Fail
    Don Leuty
    +3
    Limited range in full electric operation. Power to charge it generates large volumes of CO2 if natural gas fired generated and SO2 and N205 using heavier hydrocarbon fuels.
    Smelting of the metals used in its manufacture produces pollutants that outweigh the lifetime savings in pollutants through its use.

Other than that, its a great green... er.. success???
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/07/18 06:49:04
    Green Fail
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +2
    when you consider all the oil put into making a car, as well as the oil used to power machines in the process, there are no green vehicles Period! its a sham...
  • Bob DiN 2012/07/18 02:08:04
    Green Fail
    Bob DiN
    +3
    The Chevy Volt, Evergreen Solar, Solyndra etc. have nothing to do with green. It's all about making money for political insiders at taxpayer expense. That's the Obama/Axelrod way.
  • bmxschoolbus 2012/07/18 01:01:09
    Green Fail
    bmxschoolbus
    +4
    I love chevy but don't know about the volt
  • OPOA912 2012/07/18 00:46:10
    Green Fail
    OPOA912
  • k fleming 2012/07/18 00:13:02
    Green Fail
    k fleming
    +2
    90% of these "green" products are just as bad or worse for the environment.
    If you want green, look at the bottom line, if it's more expensive it's probably not green.
    Nuke is the only viable way to go for electricity.
    Diesel is much more viable than gas-hybrids.
    Solar is horrible for the environment, and wind is killing lots of endangered birds, both are inefficient and intermittent.
  • Jdogg 2012/07/17 21:39:02
    Green Fail
    Jdogg
    +3
    chevy volt lemon
    I heard they have haulted production because of low sales,
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/07/17 21:25:39 (edited)
    Green Fail
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +3
    The Chevy Dolt is symptomatic of the proven weakness of Top-Down, Centrally Planned, Government-Led and Managed Economies. Using emotional desires to produce and promote a product - for which no proven market of a scale required to reach profits existed - reflected prior management failures at GM, exacerbated by clueless amateurs in the WH and DOE who thought "If we give them the money to build them, they'll sell like hotcakes." And all the while, the media ignores the huge drop in the value of GM shares we taxpayers are sitting on. Paper losses for now, but they'll be real soon enough.
  • Lester 2012/07/17 21:14:10
    Green Success
    Lester
    Claims of failure are nothing more than politically motivated propaganda:

http://crooksandliars.com/kar...
  • bob h. 2012/07/17 20:47:00
    Green Success
    bob h.
    +1
    I hit fail and caught the SH bounce. No body's going to buy one used when they find out they're facing a $9,000 battery replacement. But if the Mitsubishi is so terrific, who don't they buy them? They buy Suziki's, Saab's (until they destroyed their rep) Korean Daewoo's, Chinese Aveo's And Buick's, Holden's and who knows what else.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/17 20:42:14
    Green Fail
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Everyone knows (well most people with common sense) that green technology is not cost effective for application....yet. Someday.
    Meanwhile, in reality, obaaaama has dumped millions of dollars down the drain in what boils down to a publicity stunt. He has given green technology a bad name.
    I'd love to have an electric car, solar panels covering my roof, a bank of AGM batteries, wind generators and geo-thermal heating and cooling but I just cannot afford all that. I want to live off the grid with my guns and my religion but can't afford to. Who can?
  • bob h. Torchma... 2012/07/17 20:48:36
    bob h.
    +1
    Pray; that'll do it.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/07/17 20:12:16
    Green Fail
    Margaret Jacobson
    +3
    government is trying to promote the volt in hopes of getting "OUR MONEY" back?? Maybe if they get our "some " of our money back we will be able to fund more "useless cars" from GM ??
  • S and S 2012/07/17 20:04:00
  • luke S and S 2012/07/17 20:27:06
    luke
    Because Toyota is based in Japan and not the USA.
  • S and S luke 2012/07/17 20:30:51
  • bob h. S and S 2012/07/17 21:03:29
    bob h.
    But Toyota, Honda, Rolls Royce, Mitsubishi, Mercedes Benz, Mazda, and Hyundai/KIA are made here.
  • S and S bob h. 2012/07/17 21:32:24
  • bob h. luke 2012/07/17 21:01:44
    bob h.
    But they're made here using American workers, the UAW, and an increasing number of American parts.
  • bob h. S and S 2012/07/17 21:00:14
    bob h.
    When Toyota and Datsun came to the US, they were a joke. Superior, my a**. If it wasn't for Paul Newman starting to win SCCA races in his waaay tuned 240Z, they would both have turned around and gone home. Then came the fake gas shortage, and the end of Detroit. Anybody who's ever owned a Pinto or a Vega, can understand the rise of the Japanese Auto Industry.
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2012/07/17 19:53:57
    Green Fail
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +4
    It just shows what a failure all this greeny stuff is. And what a failure Obama is for believing in it.

obama fail
  • luke Marlow ... 2012/07/17 20:37:55 (edited)
    luke
    +3
    Actually the green movement is successful. There are hundreds of popular & efficient cars that are successful. It's just that GM sucks at everything it does.

Examples of efficient cars (including EVs) in production that I can name off of my head and automakers who have gone green and make green cars: Fiat 500, Subaru, Tesla Motors, Smart, Toyota and their Prius, Honda and their Civic hybrids, the majority of the vehicles presently in production from the French automakers Renault and Peugeot, Nissan and their Leaf, and many more which I cannot presently name off of the top of my head.

Just because America fails miserably at something doesn't mean the whole movement is a failure.
  • bob h. luke 2012/07/17 21:24:27
    bob h.
    +2
    Absolutely, the PCV valve eliminated 88% of pollutants from cars. I had a 79 Accord, 1.6L/5Sp. with no pollution equip, scored 0-0 HC. CO. and got 45 mpg. Many MBs also score 0-0. Detroit will not change anything but fenders and tail lights for year after year. The Japanese live in fear of losing face, and will effect a repair as soon as a prob is found.
  • Marlow ... luke 2012/07/18 15:29:52
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    That's a fair enough statement. Ok. I agree, things have improved the environment and our lives because of the green movement.
  • thezilch 2012/07/17 18:42:32
    Green Fail
    thezilch
    +3
    What's worse is the R&D; being poured into Fuel Cell and "Bullet Train" technologies. California alone is spending wild amounts on these terrible technologies; there are better solutions and/or cheaper means of achieving the same outcome.

Japan, nearly 20yrs ago, versus California. $6B versus $70B; probably double that over the lifetime of a government run project. They are already going 50% faster too. In other words, no innovation, exorbitant costs, and untold opportunities lost -- improving municipal transportation.

2014/07/22 19:49:42