CDC: 22% Increase in HIV Among Young Gay Men Young gay and bisexual men account for two-thirds of new HIV infections across the U.S. Are Gay/Bi men irresponsible sexually?

CAPISCE 2012/12/27 23:04:01
YES
no
The number of new HIV infections for young gay and bisexual men has increased by 22% between 2008 and 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday.

Overall, the number of new infections across the U.S. has not changed at about 47,500 infections, according to Reuters. Gay and bisexual men account for 66% of those new infections, and African American men in this group account for more new infections than any other subgroup. Joseph Prejean, chief of the Behavioral and Clinical Surveillance Branch for the CDC said the rising number of infections for gay and bisexual youth may be the perception that HIV is a highly manageable disease.

"We do realize that many men who have sex with men do probably underestimate their personal risk and believe that treatment advances minimize the health threat," he said.

CDC Director Thomas Frieden added that the average cost of treating HIV over a person's lifetime costs an estimated $400,000.

• Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/12/27 23:11:46
    no
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +13
    Sexual responsibility has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It has everything to do with personal responsibility and just being smart.

I can't speak for all the other gay/bi men, but I am responsible as hell when it comes to sex, so that's a stigma I kinda resent.

• ZeldaFan13 2013/01/26 08:07:47
    no
    ZeldaFan13
    The only thing I find more ignorant and disgusting than this question is the fact that so many people said Yes. Sexual Orientation doesn't define how responsible a person is sexually.
  • Sean 2013/01/13 03:26:50
    YES
    Sean
    +1
    Gah, most gay men who've hit on me were after a one night stand (one or two were successful).

Men in general seem to be more prone to taking sexual risks in terms to condom usage, and in male/male sex you double those odds.
  • new mexico PWCM~JLA 2013/01/01 07:50:41
    YES
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Doesn't supprise me in the least, nor do I feel sorry. Just hope I don't foot the bill for their care.
  • The fut... new mex... 2013/02/03 05:29:12 (edited)
    The future inspires
    You will with Obamacare. HIV medicine costs a veritable fortune and in the most scientifically advanced nation in history, people shouldn't die from diseases that we're more than capable caring for. Of course your attitude is a shining example of classic your conservative christian morality again! I hate gays so much I like to see them die than let them live a long life with medical care! :) You're the reason I voted for Obama! Geez, I'm an atheist and even I prefer people not die. Remember love thy neighbor? It means caring for their well being.
  • CAPISCE The fut... 2013/02/03 12:31:39
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Problem is Aides is nearly 100% preventable
  • new mex... The fut... 2013/02/07 02:26:54
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    Hey, you play with fire you get burned. People who take the risk should be ready for the consequence.What ever happened to taking blame where blame is due? Who is at fault for these gays' becoming infected? Are these infected not educated in what happens when they have unprotected sex? So now everyone else foots the bill for the irresponsibile and ignorant? I doubt I am the reason you voted for Obama, you voted for the same reasons the rest did. I find this very amusing, you people wanted him, now you got him, the long term negitive effects this Admin. is inflicting now will hurt the people you think he is helping . This will be a History lesson that future generations can learn from and know what not to do. Since we are making quotes, "give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish feed him for life". Make any sense?We can not keep giving handouts, they only band aid the problem, we need to educate on many levels. God Bless.
  • Steelshrt 2012/12/30 01:05:57
    no
    Steelshrt
    +2
    How the hell should I know? I am responsible for myself. I don't worry or care about any part of the population doing what ever it is they do. As long as it doesn't affect me or mine let them contract what ever desease they want.
  • AM 2012/12/29 22:14:32
  • firelooker 2012/12/29 20:31:26
    YES
    firelooker
    +1
    Along w/ any other male who has unprotected sex. Straight guys can get it from a woman who has had unprotected sex w/ a man who had it w/ another man or woman.
  • JET 2012/12/29 16:29:32
    YES
    JET
    +1
    Bareback can have it's consequences.
  • 001 2012/12/29 14:18:17
    no
    001
    +1
    Most teens, regardless of their sexuality, underestimate how easy it is to get an STD. A lot more heterosexuals would have HIV if there wasn't this little thing called unwanted pregnancy. Homosexual acts can't get you pregnant, so they have one less reason to use protection.
  • Tordgaard 2012/12/29 12:11:44
    YES
    Tordgaard
    Yes (if those numbers are accurate) - however this does not indicate that straight males are more responsible since the rate-of-increase statistics for HIV in the heterosexual community were higher the last time I had reason to review them. Straight hispanic males and straight black females had the highest rates.
  • CAPISCE Tordgaard 2012/12/29 18:32:24
    CAPISCE
    It does indicate just that---that's exactly why the Advocate ran the article--as a wake up call to the Gay/Bi community
  • Tordgaard CAPISCE 2012/12/29 23:58:18
    Tordgaard
    +1
    I think all sexually active persons need to be careful since that bisexual population is the link between the gay and straight communities as far as intimacy. HIV/AIDS has been on the increase in heterosexuals for decades because straight folks often don't stop to think that they can be exposed. As a celibate, I know I'm safe.
    YES
    +2
    Sexual relations were meant only between, A MARRIED MAN AND WOMAN!!!!
  • Jesferkicks 2012/12/28 23:58:43
    YES
    Jesferkicks
    +1
    If your numbers are right and all else being equal, it would seem so.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/12/28 17:11:09
    YES
    Todd Parsons
    +2
    Round them up and burn them...this will terminate the disease.
  • Jon the... Todd Pa... 2012/12/29 07:36:52
    Jon the Flamer
    What about the heterosexual people that have HIV? Are you going to round them up and burn them as well?
  • 001 Jon the... 2012/12/29 14:20:43
    001
    +1
    You'd have to, that's the idea right? Treat it like the plague.

For some reason I always secretly hope that people who say things like that get an STD of their own.
  • Todd Pa... Jon the... 2012/12/29 23:25:05
    Todd Parsons
    Yes.... all terminal communicative diseased people
  • Jon the... Todd Pa... 2012/12/30 01:43:26
    Jon the Flamer
    That would not solve anything.
  • Todd Pa... Jon the... 2012/12/30 23:37:06
    Todd Parsons
    HIV would be gone.
  • Jon the... Todd Pa... 2012/12/31 01:03:01
    Jon the Flamer
    You think it would be gone.
  • Todd Pa... Jon the... 2012/12/31 01:27:25
    Todd Parsons
    If it's all burned up....it is gone
  • Gid 2012/12/28 16:37:34
    YES
    Gid
    +1
    As a rule the GLBQT community rejects a lot of safe and healthy social values. Poor medication compliance is also an issue with this population. This is not about their their sexual orientation, but it is an issue for many members of that community.
  • Jon the... Gid 2012/12/29 07:37:35
    Jon the Flamer
    I'm sure you're an expert on the LGBTQUIAP community.
  • Gid Jon the... 2012/12/29 16:00:05
    Gid
    +1
    Expert no, Familiar with and read a far amount of research on yes (I work in social services). One bazaar a teacher shared with us (who was gay) is that while the community on the whole is very open about discussing sexual behavior sexual health is kind of taboo.
  • Jon the... Gid 2012/12/29 22:11:31
    Jon the Flamer
    As far as I've experienced, sexual health is not taboo; it's valuable information that really isn't ever given in school when it should be.
  • Gid Jon the... 2012/12/29 22:24:23
    Gid
    Well that is a separate conversation, but the research I saw (granted it was a few years back) had about 20% of new HIV cases in San Francisco coming in drug resistant. Also the perception that those who are newer in the community might be rejected if they insisted on safer sex. Hopefully this is less of a factor, but I've not seen any evidence to support that the issue is resolved.
  • P. Sturm 2012/12/28 15:25:57
    no
    P. Sturm
    +1
    It's not as simple as that.
  • YES
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +3
    Computer twitch, should have been NO.

EVERYONE is getting more irresponsible, your question is misleading.
    Heard reports that maybe up to 15% of pregnant woman binge drink, try linking that to gays.
    Your statement can be taken as racist too, but I'll leave it to NAACP to deal with that.
  • DANNY59 2012/12/28 11:53:16
    no
    DANNY59
    +2
    I can't say whether a specific man is being irresponsible, I'm not there to see if he's wearing a condom. Having unprotected sex with anybody is irresponsible, I don't believe it has anything to do with being gay, Bi, or straight.
  • Summer The Husky 2012/12/28 10:54:13
    no
    Summer The Husky
    +3
    not if they are sleeping around with everyone they meet i hate that when people think that to be gay you got to have sex with every man you meet im gay and never had sex once im just looking for a man to love and spend my life with
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/12/28 10:30:49
    no
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    Some are responsible. Others aren't. Guys in general are less sexually responsible than us girls because they don't have to protect themselves from getting pregnant. Then there is the factor that anal sex is less protective against STDs and other problems than vaginal. So it's not about the gay guys being less responsible but moreso has to do with various factors.
  • Chris 2012/12/28 10:04:33 (edited)
    no
    Chris
    +4
    But American men are mostly circumcised, where is this magical HIV prevention the US Government promotes in Africa?
    american circumcised magical hiv prevention government promotes africa
    Mrs. Clinton announced at the AIDS 2012 conference held in Washington in July that the United States was dedicating $40 million to circumcise 500,000 men in South Africa.
    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.co...
    circumcision hiv
    Misinforming people that circumcision helps to prevent HIV instead of promoting condom use is not wise and will only lead people to not use condoms.

"Reliance on circumcision to prevent HIV transmission is wishful fantasy, and can only result in a calamitous worsening of the HIV-AIDS epidemic."

But anyway... You really can't say "gay/bi men are irresponsibly sexually", that's like saying "black people are criminals" because they proportionately commit more violent crimes than other races. Just because more of a group does something doesn't mean they all are doing it. That's just being a bigot to suggest such a thing. You can admit there is a HIV problem and educate people about safe sex and condom use, unlike our Government that is saying circumcision will prevent HIV instead of teaching Africans to use condoms to prevent AIDS.
  • Jon the... Chris 2012/12/29 07:39:25
    Jon the Flamer
    You are awesome.
  • Random Chris 2012/12/31 15:30:50
    Random
    Thank you! Well thought out reply. I never knew circumcision was billed as a "prevention" to HIV/AIDS in America!
    Over here people either do it for religious purposes or to "prevent urine related infections."
  • Erok 2012/12/28 08:12:28
    YES
    Erok
    +1
    Many are.....it's an exit port.
  • ღ♥ღ ℒea ღ♥ღ 2012/12/28 06:19:51
    YES
    ღ♥ღ ℒea ღ♥ღ
    +3
    Condoms people, condoms. If those men had just 1% of the war on women/birth control gimme gimme gimme craze, they would be better off.
  • democoach 2012/12/28 06:06:01
    YES
    democoach
    just the word "gay" says IT ALL! going against God's natural ways for us is going to cause troubles.

2014/11/23 09:24:29