CBS Sunday Morning show segment guest calls for trashing the US Constitution.Do you agree or disagree?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/28 23:42:39

Link to video: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57566014/pro...

Text of video clip:

(CBS News) Is the U.S. Constitution truly worthy of the reverence in which most Americans hold it? A view on that from Louis Michael Seidman, Professor of Constitutional Law at Georgetown University:Louis Michael Seidman  Professor of Constitutional Law at Georgetown

I've got a simple idea: Let's give up on the Constitution.

I know, it sounds radical, but it's really not. Constitutional disobedience is as American as apple pie.

For example, most of our greatest Presidents -- Jefferson, Lincoln, Wilson, and both Roosevelts -- had doubts about the Constitution, and many of them disobeyed it when it got in their way.

To be clear, I don't think we should give up on everything in the Constitution. The Constitution has many important and inspiring provisions, but we should obey these because they are important and inspiring, not because a bunch of people who are now long-dead favored them two centuries ago.

Unfortunately, the Constitution also contains some provisions that are not so inspiring. For example, one allows a presidential candidate who is rejected by a majority of the American people to assume office. Suppose that Barack Obama really wasn't a natural-born citizen. So what?

Constitutional obedience has a pernicious impact on our political culture. Take the recent debate about gun control. None of my friends can believe it, but I happen to be skeptical of most forms of gun control.

I understand, though, that's not everyone's view, and I'm eager to talk with people who disagree.

But what happens when the issue gets Constitutional-ized? Then we turn the question over to lawyers, and lawyers do with it what lawyers do. So instead of talking about whether gun control makes sense in our country, we talk about what people thought of it two centuries ago.

Worse yet, talking about gun control in terms of constitutional obligation needlessly raises the temperature of political discussion. Instead of a question on policy, about which reasonable people can disagree, it becomes a test of one's commitment to our foundational document and, so, to America itself.

This is our country. We live in it, and we have a right to the kind of country we want. We would not allow the French or the United Nations to rule us, and neither should we allow people who died over two centuries ago and knew nothing of our country as it exists today.

If we are to take back our own country, we have to start making decisions for ourselves, and stop deferring to an ancient and outdated document.

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57566014/prof...

• millermedia 2013/01/28 23:52:54
    I disagree with this professor because....
    millermedia
    +21
    Georgetown should lose their government funding until this man and others like him are fired.

• Old Salt 2013/02/26 22:32:29
  • Selketskiss 2013/02/26 14:52:34 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +2
    So all the men and women who took that oath to defend the Constitution that have fought and died for it and this country and still today... would mean nothing... just some old piece of paper to be gutted and most we do not need so get rid of it........
    This chitbag makes me want to puke down his throat after I put hot poker as far up his arse as I can...to me he is a traitor...
  • Old Salt Selkets... 2013/02/26 22:33:35
  • Selkets... Old Salt 2013/02/26 23:28:33
    Selketskiss
    +2
    Just calling it the way it is Old Salt...
  • Old Salt Selkets... 2013/02/27 04:26:11
  • Selkets... Old Salt 2013/02/27 05:04:52
    Selketskiss
    +2
    These pinheads have been mucking with the history books even when I was in school ....
    Hamilton...you forgfot " I "
  • Old Salt Selkets... 2013/02/27 05:23:12
  • Selkets... Old Salt 2013/02/27 05:28:04
  • Butch 2013/02/26 09:47:48 (edited)
  • schjaz 2013/02/24 17:53:00
    schjaz
    +3
    Of course he doesn't want to give up everything in the Constitution....just the stuff HE doesn't like and then he can TRANSLATE the rest. what an idiot.
  • Old Salt schjaz 2013/02/26 22:34:09
  • Quazimoto 2013/02/08 14:34:41
    Quazimoto
    +4
    The first problem is CBS. A left wing propaganda machine. The second problem is this individual is a Professor of Constitutional Law. We have a idiot in the White House who has the same background as this Professor and thinks he has visited 57 states on the campaign trail. These idiots all come from the same Marxist mold.
  • schjaz Quazimoto 2013/02/24 17:54:20
    schjaz
    +3
    Oblahblah just got a little mixed up....there are 57 Arabic states. If that red flag didn't get thru to ppl , nothing will.
  • Old Salt schjaz 2013/02/26 22:36:15
  • schjaz Old Salt 2013/02/27 16:41:45
    schjaz
    +1
    somebody needs to make that point to the CELEBRITY in Chief.
  • Selkets... Quazimoto 2013/02/26 14:30:39
    Selketskiss
    +2
    Plus on state to go but they won't let me go to Alaska and Hawaii..total 60 states
    He is the dumbest Harvard educated idiot on this planet and the biggest disgrace..10 year old children know how many states are in the USA

• Old Salt Selkets... 2013/02/26 22:37:48
  • stobberdobber@msn.com 2013/02/03 10:23:08
    stobberdobber@msn.com
    +2
    I agree with this person "He has no grasp of what the Constitution says. He's just another "educated" idiot." The constitution was pretty much based on what is morally right and wrong for ALL people of our country as long as common sense is used and prevails.
  • Chuck 2013/01/31 22:42:24
    Chuck
    +4
    He is an idiot. First off a lot of people seem to think that what was applicable in years past are not so today. That is hogwash! Most of the constitution is based on the right and wrong of a subject and not necessarily the specific law of do's and don'ts . Common sense tells us that those things of a moral nature is always applicable and just about anything you can think of that is 'right' in today's world, has always been right from the beginning of time. Those 'rights' are laid out very meticulously in the constitution and under no circumstances should they be deleted or changed just because a few people in our society have become mentally ill with ideas of 'gay' marriage and the thought that people in high positions don't become power crazed and want to challenge our 2nd and 10th amendments. If we lose the 2nd amendment, we have assuredly lost the 10th and short of a civil war, the entire constitution. This country was ripe for a take over after Kennedy was killed and no one was ever prosecuted. And take over is exactly what happened. The Zionist Bankers that Kennedy threatened to take down became his undoing, and we have been steadily controlled by big money and union power plays ever since. I am really surprised that so many of our Presidents of years past have ...
    He is an idiot. First off a lot of people seem to think that what was applicable in years past are not so today. That is hogwash! Most of the constitution is based on the right and wrong of a subject and not necessarily the specific law of do's and don'ts . Common sense tells us that those things of a moral nature is always applicable and just about anything you can think of that is 'right' in today's world, has always been right from the beginning of time. Those 'rights' are laid out very meticulously in the constitution and under no circumstances should they be deleted or changed just because a few people in our society have become mentally ill with ideas of 'gay' marriage and the thought that people in high positions don't become power crazed and want to challenge our 2nd and 10th amendments. If we lose the 2nd amendment, we have assuredly lost the 10th and short of a civil war, the entire constitution. This country was ripe for a take over after Kennedy was killed and no one was ever prosecuted. And take over is exactly what happened. The Zionist Bankers that Kennedy threatened to take down became his undoing, and we have been steadily controlled by big money and union power plays ever since. I am really surprised that so many of our Presidents of years past have been assassinated; so many candidates have had attempts on their lives, and they were all actually pretty good people; certainly undeserving of an assassins bullet. Obama has already proven himself to be nothing but a charlatan; a crook; a liar; deceitful; power hungry; a usurper; and the list could go on and on, but people have fallen in love with this guy. Like this stupid ass professor and Joe Biden. I think he and Biden might be screwing each other.
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2013/01/31 19:31:39
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +2
    The U.S. Constitution already allows for amendments.

I agree that the document is not some sort of sacred text. Furthermore, it is very tempting to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. For example, starting fresh would allow us to remove those embarrassing racist elements from the section on the census.

However, if we were to start fresh, the current majority would certainly seek to introduce new injustices into the proposed new constitution. For example, the majority, being comprised of theist, might seek to destroy the wall of separation between church and state.

The current U.S. Constitution, warts and all, works. Until it doesn't, I say we continue to use it.
  • wysiwis 2013/01/31 15:34:04
    wysiwis
    +3
    He has no grasp of what the Constitution says. He's just another "educated" idiot.
  • Selkets... wysiwis 2013/02/26 14:38:10
    Selketskiss
    +2
    I do not think he is really as educated as people think...he hides those records for a reason people... his degree was paid for with mega bucks and he most likely did none or very little studying or work..free pass
  • wysiwis Selkets... 2013/02/28 02:17:12
    wysiwis
    +2
    Agreed!!!
  • nicesteve 2013/01/31 01:03:45
    nicesteve
    +3
    Our founding fathers designed the constitution in order to keep government of
    the people, by the people, for the people. And it's only by crooked politicians,
    and apethetic citizens that things have gotten out of hand, and in dire need
    of a comprehensive cleaning up, to begin with.
  • schjaz nicesteve 2013/02/24 17:55:34
    schjaz
    +2
    exactly....they keep more laws that are already covered by laws and think that give them the right to cash their government check.
  • JonDeniro 2013/01/30 15:31:06
    JonDeniro
    +2
    This idiot Seidman is a fine example of something I have known for a long time. - That education and intelligence are two different things entirely.

So, traitor Seidman, allow me to educate you about the Constitution (something you are supposedly a "professor" of: The Constitution was written to protect us from the whim and fancy of whatever idiot happens to be "in charge" at any particular point in history. The Constitution is very inconvenient to them - just as it was designed to be. There are procedures to change the Constitution if and when needed to reflect changes in our society. As a homework assignment, I suggest that you research the Amendment process. Have no delusions that you are in any way intellectually superior to the Founders. You have already proven that you are the village idiot when compared to them, as you obviously do not understand that basic truths and human nature are timeless...something the Founders knew so very well.

Georgetown University should be deeply ashamed to have you on their staff. Obviously an education from Georgetown is a bad joke at best, and more properly the intentional dumbing-down and misdirecting of young minds.
  • Selkets... JonDeniro 2013/02/26 14:42:24
    Selketskiss
    +1
    LMAO he really is their village idiot and all smiles to...what a state of affairs education has become in this country...
  • Todd Parsons 2013/01/30 14:12:00
    Todd Parsons
    +3
    And as a matter of fact, the man is an enemy of the country for suggesting it.
  • Jeff Smith 2013/01/30 14:07:43
    Jeff Smith
    +2
    Although I think I will live long enough to see both the Bill of Rights which we will have less of and the Constitution rewritten in favor of the oppressive Government removing more of our rights to be free. The Government has doubled in size over the last 10 years and will double again before it's all over there will be very few who are not on their payroll very soon. There will be no 1st,2nd or 5th amendments you will do what you are told when you are told to do it and you will either comply or enjoy life in camp FEMA or be shot on sight.
  • Selkets... Jeff Smith 2013/02/26 15:00:25
    Selketskiss
    +1
    I know you are most likely right on target, but before that there will be a bloody fight no doubt about that my friend...
  • Jeff Smith Selkets... 2013/02/26 15:18:00
    Jeff Smith
    +1
    Or we keep up the fight
  • Selkets... Jeff Smith 2013/02/26 18:50:48
    Selketskiss
    +1
    The legal route only goes so far.. then comes a tipping point when peoples backs are against the wall..
  • krayzrick 2013/01/30 12:48:40
    krayzrick
    +3
    I say we trash the clowns in Washington who've pretty much destroyed America..
  • stevmackey 2013/01/30 12:36:10
    stevmackey
    +3
    Marxists should not be in this Country
  • debhead 2013/01/30 05:36:37
    debhead
    +3
    Our constitution had led us all these years. Sure times change, but if you start changeling things you mess with our whole structure. We need these guidelines.
  • Plantgypc 2013/01/30 02:29:00
    Plantgypc
    +3
    He's been sniffing his dry erase markers again.
  • cc 2013/01/30 01:49:05
    cc
    +1
    And WHAT I beg....does he think he' going to replace it with?! If they want a revolution in this country, then go ahead and ditch the Constitution! They will be living in thier caves for YEARS until they are found and expunged!
    We have got to get between the uber rich lobbyists and our legislators and remind them that they are working for US!!
  • Selkets... cc 2013/02/26 14:48:15 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +1
    They no longer give a chit about the people that is the problem..they are working for themselves...dem and rep... the government is working for the government period.
    Snatching up, destroying and changing what ever they want along the way..
  • cc Selkets... 2013/02/27 07:02:26
    cc
    +1
    I wish you were wrong.
  • Selkets... cc 2013/03/01 02:45:32
    Selketskiss
    I wish I was wrong also, but look at what has been going on in that crater of lies, corruption and destruction they call Washington DC. There is all the proof you need...

2014/10/31 05:09:22