CBS-NEW YORK TIMES POLL-Obama down to 41%; 80% say they're worse off than 4 years ago...what say you?

Space Invader 2012/03/13 19:27:39

CBS News/New York Times PollFor release: March 12, 20126:30 PM ET
The November Election, The President, and the Economy
March 7-11, 2012
Rising gas prices may be weighing on President Obama’s approval ratings: after toppingoff at 50% approval just last month, his rating has dipped to 41% today, the lowest of hispresidency. 47% now disapprove.
As has historically been the case, a majority of Americans (54%) believes a Presidentcan do a lot to control gas prices.
In November matchups, President Obama maintains his lead among registered votersover all would-be Republican challengers - by three points over Mitt Romney and fourover Rick Santorum – but those gaps have narrowed, coinciding with the dip in Obama’sapproval.
Part of Barack Obama’s advantage in those head-to-heads is being seen asunderstanding peoples’ needs and problems. 55% of registered voters say he does – butonly 31% think Mitt Romney does. 40% say Rick Santorum does.
Americans divide over whether the U.S. should get involved in any military conflictbetween Israel and Iran over nuclear weapons. 47% want the U.S. to support Israel inany action it might take; 42% don’t want to get involved.Rising gas prices may be taking a bite out of Americans’ wallets, and perhaps a toll onPresident Obama’s approval ratings. Though his approval rating reached 50% last month for thefirst time since the killing of Osama bin Laden last May, it has now plunged nine points to an all-time low of 41%.
President Obama’s Overall Job Rating
Now 2/2012 12/2011 11/2011 5/2011 1/2011Approve 41% 50% 47% 43% 57% 49%Disapprove 47 43 44 47 37 39Most Americans believe gas prices are something a President can do a lot about – 54% say so.Whether correct or not, Americans have historically felt this way about a President’s control overgas prices. They also felt this way when gas prices spiked during the administration of formerPresident George W. Bush.
Are Gas Prices Something a President Can do a lot About?
Now 2/2012 3/2011 7/2008 5/2006 5/2004Yes 54% 54% 50% 65% 63% 58%No 36 34 41 29 30 33
Continued attacks from the Republicans running to replace President Obama may be having animpact, too. His disapproval rating has risen to 89% among Republicans (from 82% last month),and now more independents disapprove of his job performance than approve – that was not thecase last month. And though his approval rating among Democrats remains high, it hasdropped seven points – from 85% last month to 78% today.
President Obama’s Overall Job Rating
Total Reps Dems IndsApprove 41% 5% 78% 37%Disapprove 47 89 15 45President Obama’s job rating on the economy remains about the same as it was last month -39% approve and 54% disapprove – but his rating on foreign policy has dropped significantly.Now, just 40% approve of his handling of foreign policy – a drop of 10 points from last month – while 41% disapprove. This is the first time since the killing of Osama bin Laden in May 2011that more Americans disapprove than approve of the job Barack Obama is doing handlingforeign policy.
President Obama’s Job Ratings
Foreign Policy The EconomyNow 2/2012 Now 2/2012Approve 40% 50% 39% 44%Disapprove 41 36 54 50
Looking Ahead to November
Barack Obama maintains his lead over all the Republican hopefuls in hypothetical generalelection matchups, but the gap has narrowed -- reflective, perhaps, of the President’s drop inapproval ratings this week.Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum run closest to the incumbent President, three and four pointsback, respectively. The President maintains a commanding lead if the Republican nomineewere Newt Gingrich or Ron Paul.
Who Would You Vote For in November if the Candidates Were…?
(Among registered voters)Now 2/13/2012 1/18/2012Barack Obama 47% 48% 45%Mitt Romney 44 42 45Barack Obama 48% 49% 49%Rick Santorum 44 41 38Barack Obama 49 50% 46%Ron Paul 39 39 42Barack Obama 52 54% 50%Newt Gingrich 38 36 39
Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich have all improved their standings withindependents compared to last month – with Romney making the most gains. Ron Paul’sstanding among independents has dropped slightly.
(Among independent voters)Now 2/13/2012 1/18/2012Barack Obama 45% 46% 38%Mitt Romney 43 37 46Barack Obama 45% 46% 45%Rick Santorum 42 39 36Barack Obama 46% 44% 39%Ron Paul 36 40 49Barack Obama 50% 51% 46%Newt Gingrich 35 32 38In 2008, Barack Obama won the women’s vote, as Democrats often do in Presidential elections.(He won the men’s vote too.) So far this year there has been a lot of focus on issues of concernto women. Now, Barack Obama has a lead against all Republican challengers among womenvoters. Among men, both Romney and Santorum have wide leads over the President.
Gender Gap: Who Would You Vote For in November if Candidates Were…?
(Among registered voters)Women MenBarack Obama 50% 44%Mitt Romney 39 50Barack Obama 50% 45%Rick Santorum 40 50Barack Obama 49% 49%Ron Paul 38 40Barack Obama 54% 51%Newt Gingrich 34 43

• PeterB 2012/03/14 21:44:17
    Finally; the rats are fleeing the ships.
    PeterB
    +1
    This is a no-brainer. Watch him start back peddling though. He’s a political whore who will do or say anything, including throwing close supporters under the bus, to try to get himself reelected. What a despicable excuse for a man and wannabe world leader.
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/03/14 06:05:37
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +2
    The continued trend of Obama's sinking job approval ratings continues.

No president has ever been reelected with job approval ratings this low this close to an election. If you are looking for a metric, there is one. In fact should Obama continue to stay below 50% in the job approval rating polls, you can safely bet money in Vegas and make yourself a few bucks. If Obama stays down around 40% (40, 41, 42, 43, or 44%) a ham sandwich could beat Obama.

But there is always hope on the left, God bless their little black hearts:
  • kaZappoo 2012/03/14 01:41:39
    kaZappoo
    +5
    well I'm not sure about the rest of ya all ..but Im definately NOT BETTER OFF THEN I WAS THEN ...

just trying to survive ...

the general misery index is up there as well ..

and these jobs numbers / economy / and GDP being on the positive side ....well I DONT BUY IT !

and all that I know arent any better ...
  • Space I... kaZappoo 2012/03/14 01:51:54
    Space Invader
    +1
    my friend owns two small 7-11 mkts. that sell non-ethanol gas. he told me his supplier told him the refineries in Nashville had closed down for maintenance. and had to get his fuel from Louisville KY.
    He was also told that he will get his deliveries by time..not gallons as before. He just got a load at the local store; from the time that the front wheels got on his parking lot; till 60 minutes later; whatever fuel they could pump; that was it!

He said the same thing happened at store number 2; and now they are having shortages of Premium..something is going on; and it's not because we have no oil......
  • kaZappoo Space I... 2012/03/14 03:11:13
    kaZappoo
    +1
    you say the trucks that are delivering ,,are charging not by gallons but by time "explain "? plz

I do know the tanker trucks deliver and use gravity off load .not by PTO power unit ..and it's all about the gravity which fuel liquid flows ...diesel would be a little bit longer "it is an oil "

so when the delivery tankers hit the lot "what ever they could off load in an hour' is all the store got ??
    it takes 20 min to get static strap & hoses in the respective tank recpticles ..I did haul fuel for a while .. wow ...we could be looking at 70 gas problems again ?

seems like anything to get the people to the point of revolt ...is their agenda ,,we've talked about this before ...

this is one big reason I diversified to hydrogen as a supplement ...
  • Space I... kaZappoo 2012/03/14 11:59:06
    Space Invader
    +1
    sorry; they still charge for gallons pumped into the tanks;but there is now a time "limit"..60 minutes from the time the front wheels touch the parking lot; pre-orders of gallons needed have been suspended..hope that clears it up...
  • kaZappoo Space I... 2012/03/14 18:08:47
    kaZappoo
    +1
    wow ...ok I know several drivers that do the local fuel tanker job ,,,,I'm gonna ask them if that involves the west coast as well ...
    I know they had to pass some new TSA background checks (in addition to the Hazmat checks )

quite interesting .....!
  • Broken 2012/03/14 00:53:35
    Broken
    +2
    I am better off this past year, but it had nothing at all to do with Mr. O. I think he is a disaster for this country.
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2012/03/14 00:51:14
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +4
    With the prices of everything constantly going up from food to gas, I'm far worse off now then I was when he took office.
  • kaZappoo Biki~pw... 2012/03/14 01:45:40
    kaZappoo
    +4
    as a fellow idahoan ,,I can feel the pain there with ya Bikicat....
  • Biki~pw... kaZappoo 2012/03/14 03:33:02
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +2
    Thanks zapped! Awesome new avatar again! =-)
  • kaZappoo Biki~pw... 2012/03/14 03:38:23
    kaZappoo
    +3
    I thank you my friend & neighbor.......
  • PeterB Biki~pw... 2012/03/14 21:51:01
    PeterB
    +2
    Try surviving on a fixed income. Been retired for 7 or 8 years. Shopping for ANYTHING is becoming a real adventure, if not a challenge!
  • Biki~pw... PeterB 2012/03/14 22:07:30
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +2
    my mother is facing that now. So I have a general idea of just how hard that is. I'm certainly glad that Im not at that stage of life yet. It's dang scary to consider though.....
  • PeterB Biki~pw... 2012/03/14 22:59:29
    PeterB
    +2
    That’s funny. I think it’s scarier where you are. I have a decent, relatively safe and steady, but fixed income.
    I have four adult children in their 40’s however, and have been strongly advising them for several years, even before ’08, to plan on getting NOTHING from anyone, especially their* government, when it comes to their retirement. Plan and Invest wisely (Blue chips, mutuals, precious metals, and now might be a good time for some real estate as well.)
    * It’s their government. I washed my hands of the whole corrupt bunch years ago! It’s all the next generation’s now (that includes you.)

Regards,
    Pete
  • Biki~pw... PeterB 2012/03/15 04:31:45
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    absolutely true! I never believed the "government" would be there for me with social security when I was a teenager in the 80's. Even then I could see the writing on the wall. Smart advice to your kids. I've been spending all of my extra money on food and personal items. I also (even though I don't drink alcohol, coffee or smoke) I am storing those items as well for bartering purposes.
  • PeterB Biki~pw... 2012/03/15 14:51:49
    PeterB
    +1
    You’re probably right on Soc.Sec. because Congress has been using it as a piggy bank to pay for every cockamamie program they can come up with to point to with pride to get themselves reelected. This has been going on for 40 year or more and really took off when the gates were opened wide by the Johnson administration’s officially commingling these funds with the ‘general’ funds. The SS 'benefit’ add-on’s, down through the years only served to exacerbate the problem.
    There is still a “trust fund” comprised of Soc. Sec. Administration owned T-Bills and possibly other Federal Government issued bonds, but the aggregate total of all these ‘investmments’ is due to be depleted in about 20 years, and certainly by 2035.
    Stocking up is not a bad idea, but in the event of a major supply line interruption (for an Armageddon-like event), you’ll probably need to be self sufficient for up to a year or so (including energy). You might also need an arsenal to hold on to your stores. Good luck
  • Biki~pw... PeterB 2012/03/15 18:38:48
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    Got the arsenal, with the ammo to boot, and am in the planning stage for the self-sufficient "bunker" now. I live on property, so I have land for gardens and animals and am working on a windmill to power my well and power needs. Am on a septic system to be independent of the city sewer system.
    I'm working that list 100 things you need to survive as quickly as I can. Notice...under 8 years of Bush NO ONE was as frantic as they are now, gun sales are skyrocketing (as people won't want to "share the wealth" like 0bamao would have us do) and now on tv you have those doomsdayer/survivalist/bunker shows? It's the 1950's all over again and the smart people are scared sh!tless.
  • PeterB Biki~pw... 2012/03/16 20:55:21
    PeterB
    +1
    My suggestion above was ‘tongue-in-cheek’ but you’re going all out. That’s great. The country will need young, healthy, smart survivors to rebuild a society. I’m 71, beyond my child production years. Have Mechanical Engineering and computer skills, but it will be a long time of rebuilding a society before those talents would be of any real use, and I'm not much of a farmer.

I’m stocking up for a few weeks at best, maybe 6 to 10, and I’m adequately armed. After that I’ll hit the trail down to one of my children’s places. Have horse farms surrounding me, and children 30 and 60 miles down the road.

I remember the ‘duck and cover’ days of the 50’s, and neighbors digging shelters. That was Mid-fifties Americana, the one I grew up in, nothing at all like our vaunted president ever experienced. His childhood rearing was in a foreign country and a tropical island resort. Stands to reason his views are different.

Take good care of yourself and best of luck.

Regards,
    Pete
  • Tink123 2012/03/14 00:34:42
    Say it ain't so Barry; say it ain't So!!!!
    Tink123
    +3
    I say - November can't get here fast enough.
  • kaZappoo Tink123 2012/03/14 01:46:18
    kaZappoo
    +4
    you can say that a million times & it wouldnt be enough !
  • Biki~pw... kaZappoo 2012/03/14 03:33:35
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +2
    I've been watching that count down clock for years now. It can't get here fast enough. I pray he is gone soon.
  • kaZappoo Biki~pw... 2012/03/14 03:39:09
    kaZappoo
    +3
    AMEN ......!
  • Birthpangs 2012/03/13 23:48:39 (edited)
  • kaZappoo Birthpangs 2012/03/14 01:47:49
    kaZappoo
    +3
    it's difficult to believe any news services .....especially when there told to report NOTHING negative ..so would that be considered postitve ?
  • Birthpangs kaZappoo 2012/03/14 13:13:20
  • kaZappoo Birthpangs 2012/03/14 18:09:56
  • dubbie 2012/03/13 22:50:10 (edited)
    dubbie
    +4
    Love that song

music to my ears
  • redhorse29 2012/03/13 22:26:05
    redhorse29
    +4
    Oh I hope this is true. Lord Butthead and his Tzars are a very sad disappointment. This is a morally and financially bankrupt administration dedicated to the subjection of the populous and corruption of our Constitutional and religious underpinnings.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/03/13 21:29:40
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    Even though many liberals are in just as bad an economic situation as the rest of us, many of them will continue to blindly vote for Obama because they will not consider any other options. They don't know what Obama's platform is, they have no interest in what he's doing, they simply like the idea that is Obama. Proof of this was this man on the street interview prior to the last general election. It doesn't matter what people think he stands for, all that matters is that Obama was elected.
  • AL 2012/03/13 21:28:24
    AL
    +4
    Wake up call!
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/03/13 21:20:53
    jumpboots 187th PIR
  • Billyk75 2012/03/13 21:08:32
    Billyk75
    +4
    A lot more worse.
    +4
    Maybe they are. This is certainly the first sign. Considering the usual self-selection bias in the CBS/NYT poll, this result should shock the progressives, and the media elite.
  • voice_matters 2012/03/13 20:57:38
    voice_matters
    first libby if you are going to post polling data then try to post the facts. the day that poll was released obama still has higher approval rating then jan 1, 2012. now lets look at the meanign of the polls. oh wait ther is none, seeing that it means nothing in a general election. obama has wins over all 4 gop candidates right now. of course that can all change once the gop knows its nominee. for now though obama according to the polls has another 4 years in office. www.realclearpolitics.com
  • Space I... voice_m... 2012/03/13 21:47:11
  • voice_m... Space I... 2012/03/14 02:58:56
    voice_matters
    libby i see you are still ignoring the facts.
  • Space I... voice_m... 2012/03/14 03:01:15
    Space Invader
    +1
    no; and what's with the libby?
  • voice_m... Space I... 2012/03/14 13:35:35
    voice_matters
    libby as long as you wish to ignore the facts you are a lib. as i have already said obama's approval rating is still higher today than jan1,2012. also obama against all 4 gop contenders right now wins a second term accoridng to the polls. sorry libby but if you want to bring upn polls make sure you look at al of them not just the ones the support your hate and ignorance
  • Space I... voice_m... 2012/03/15 02:51:30
    Space Invader
    you need this more than I do... vodka

2014/11/21 19:15:37