BOGOR, Indonesia, Feb. 13 (Xinhua) -- Indonesia and the United States on
Monday broke ground on U.S.-funded barracks for the Indonesian Peace and
Security Center in Sentul area of Bogor residence at West Java province.
"We are proud to be working together as partner. Indonesia plays important
role in international peacekeeping and we are very pleased that we can provide
fund to the barrack here," said the U. S. Ambassador for Indonesia Scot Marciel
in the ceremony.
"The U.S. government contributed 3.3 million U.S. dollars for the barrack
Assistant Secretary of State for Bureau of Political-Military Affairs at the
U.S. government Andrew J Saphiro said that he was vey impressed of the facility.
"We came here today to get briefing of the establishment of the new peacekeeping
center and we are very impressed of the facility. We are proud to provide 3.3
million dollars for the construction of the new barrack," Saphiro told the press
after the ceremony.
He added that the U.S. has been provided fund of almost 15 million dollars
since 2006 for peace keeping in Indonesia that is proven to be strong partner in
international peacekeeping. "We were briefed today about future peace plan of
Indonesia peacekeepers, including the desire to expand the number of
peacekeepers beyond 1,800 that currently deployed. And, we are proud to support
the goal," said Saphiro.
He said that the peacekeeping center could be useful not only for Indonesia's
peacekeeping force but also for international peacekeepers in years to come
Brig. Gen. Imam Eddy M, commander of Indonesia's Center of World's
Peacekeeping Force, during a dialog with Marciel and Saphiro said that the
maximum capacity of the facility is 1,500 personnel for one occasion.
He said that with the new facility, Indonesia's peacekeepers could be
"Previously, we used the Infantry training center in Bandung of West Java
province. (With the new facility), we aim to send 4,000 peacekeepers abroad in
the next 2 years," said Eddy.