Can you be a Christian without going to church?

Beth 2007/06/03 22:47:43
24 votes
89%
3 votes
11%
0 votes
0%

Question Closed

• ARMENTHIA 2007/06/04 02:13:16
    ARMENTHIA
    +3
    Whosoever will....let him come. Anyone can be a Christian and yes you can be a Christian without ever going to church....HOWEVER, it does not mean you shouldn't. Followers of Jesus are supposed to do as he did. He went to church. There are MANY reasons for not being able to go, just don't use something as a crutch for NOT going. For many years I couldn't go because of work. There are some churches that have services on other days other than sundays or even different services other than the normal times on sundays. There are different denominations anointed to do the work of the Lord. Allow the spirit to lead you to the right one so that you will grow in Christ. One Spirit...many members.

• joe 2007/07/17 13:16:08
    joe
    +1
    Easy to answer . It's how you live your life . Is the person who goes to Church to be seen by others any better than the one who stays at home and does good deeds ? Is the one who shares with others that which they can afford to share (as little as it may be ) any worse than the person who has much more than they really need and shares very little with others or shows no compassion ?
  • <--That guy 2007/07/02 13:34:15
    <--That guy
    That was a problem I always had growing up in a Christian home. It made me feel that believing in God and just being a nice and honest person wasn't enough anymore. That's when I began questioning my faith.
  • John 2007/06/15 17:57:29
    John
    +2
    Vain repetition is spoken against clearly in the Bible. Church was spoken against by Jesus as were the people leading it! We are to worship GOD not any organization or anything else if we are a Christian! Listening to twisted versions of the truth every Sunday is wrong. We are to worry about how we treat others and be good people, live our lives the best we can without harming anyone! That is the ultimate Christian life!
  • Beth John 2007/06/16 10:20:06
    Beth
    +2
    You're right about vain repetition. As for Church, the Bible says, "Where two or more are gathered in His name there I am." Yes, all Churches have something wrong with them as stated in Revelation. To be a true Christian is to have faith in the one He sent to die for our sins. If we have faith, we will do our best to live according to His will which refers to what you said at the end about doing no harm. Thanks, John.
  • John Beth 2007/06/19 21:34:17
    John
    Sure :) I actually prefer being the devils advocate, but sometimes it's simple to answer some things :)
  • Fran 2007/06/10 18:12:26
    Fran
    +1
    Probably not. Or you'll be a non-progressive Christian, anyway. You'll always be a crawling baby christian. I dont go either, I live in Las Vegas, and I really cant find a church. I guess, I compare the churches here to the one in my hometown. But deep down inside, the scripture comes up: Fail not to congregate. Why? Because you wont grow. If you can read your scriptures daily, live them, speak the word-confess the word, then your on the right track but still, if our guide is the Bible, and we long to be like Christ, then we must follow what it says.
  • Patrick Fran 2007/07/31 13:43:13
    Patrick
    +1
    Christians are the Church for the Grace of God is within the Temple which is you, not a building or a special time but all the time and it is the charge to the Christians to get together to worship that doesn't mean in a gloris structor it means two or three or more meeting to worship the king of kings.
  • LPE 2007/06/06 13:28:30
    LPE
    But attending church is very rewarding/renewing.
  • <--That... LPE 2007/07/02 13:35:49
    <--That guy
    +1
    Well, if that's what you get out of it, I'm glad to hear that. It seems like a lot of people go to church because it's like something they feel like they have to do, like a chore.
  • Shrliey Temple 2007/06/06 00:32:57
    Shrliey Temple
    yes.. church is for christians, it helps them. it brings them together with other people of faith.
  • rhee Shrliey... 2009/06/09 03:23:11
    rhee
    Church is for all--- sinners and repenters ......Jesus went out among the people he was out of church more than he was in ...If repenters dont get with the sinners ,,,how are ya gonna make more repenters?
  • Roni 2007/06/05 13:49:12
    Roni
    Yes of course. Although some "Christians" are not practicing (?) Christians. We call them Easter and Christmas Christians. I do understand those who work on Sunday and those who are sick and house bound. Church is a great place to go and find some peace and Spiritual help. This world is a hard place for a born again believer to live in. We need to gather together and pray and seek the Lord for guidance. The Bible says "where two or three are gathered, there am I in the mist" This was Jesus speaking. Who wouldnt want to be where Jesus is!
  • rhee Roni 2009/06/09 03:25:11
    rhee
    Most people churches todaywho claim to be christian wouldnt recognise Jesus if he himself walked in the front door.
  • Blue 2007/06/05 09:41:30
    Blue
    you can be whatever you want to be, even a Gangsta rapper
  • Cat 2007/06/04 18:39:54 (edited)
    Cat
    I do not think these so called HOLY ROLLERS, self-righteous, IF YOU AREN'T HERE EVERY SUNDAY YOU ARE GOING TO HELL that are the first in the door on Sunday morning are in God's favor AT ALL! Where does it say that in the Bible? As a Catholic we have what are called "Days of Obligation" the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. They are as follows>The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1),Solemnity of Ascension of the Lord-( May 20th)The Solemnity of the Ascension (Thursday before Pentecost, 40 days after Easter) The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (August 15) All Saints Day-( November 1st ) Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary- 8th). The Solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ- (December 25). These are very reasonable to me to show love and respect to Our Lord. BUT to me. BUT In the MOST Literal and truest sense of the word. AND many of you are going to disagree and say I am going too far. READ your Bible, read what your Lord says. NOT WHAT YOUR RELIGIONS teach. Don't translate, just the read THE flat truth. This is what he wants.>>> I think what is truly important> a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ, to be benevolent, humane, tender-hearted, loving, tolerant, compassionate, and mostly one who enlightens, culti...
    I do not think these so called HOLY ROLLERS, self-righteous, IF YOU AREN'T HERE EVERY SUNDAY YOU ARE GOING TO HELL that are the first in the door on Sunday morning are in God's favor AT ALL! Where does it say that in the Bible? As a Catholic we have what are called "Days of Obligation" the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. They are as follows>The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1),Solemnity of Ascension of the Lord-( May 20th)The Solemnity of the Ascension (Thursday before Pentecost, 40 days after Easter) The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (August 15) All Saints Day-( November 1st ) Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary- 8th). The Solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ- (December 25). These are very reasonable to me to show love and respect to Our Lord. BUT to me. BUT In the MOST Literal and truest sense of the word. AND many of you are going to disagree and say I am going too far. READ your Bible, read what your Lord says. NOT WHAT YOUR RELIGIONS teach. Don't translate, just the read THE flat truth. This is what he wants.>>> I think what is truly important> a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ, to be benevolent, humane, tender-hearted, loving, tolerant, compassionate, and mostly one who enlightens, cultivatives young and old minds to think in a righteous way, to act in an upright, moral way, or with virtuous conduct and converts others to a way of goodness. Converts others to follow his teachings. Not though the eyes of a particular church's philosophy. Or by sending a Television evangelist a million dollars. Or because your Pastor says his way is the ONLY way. If he does I promise you are in the wrong place. Nor by being the first in the door Sunday morning trying to out dress your neighbor and seeing who is the most hung-over in a congregation that does not allow the drinking of alcohol. Go or not go, you are a Christian in you heart and soul, this is where you know. You can act your deeds anywhere, you can pray ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANYPLACE IN THE WORLD.
  • Roni Cat 2007/06/05 13:44:32
    Roni
    +1
    I as a former Catholic do not see these holydays in the Bible anywhere. And most of the ones you mentioned were not for Jesus but for saints and Mary. The Bible states "only by grace are you saved but not of yourselves lest any man should boast" This means that we cannot do good enough and be good enough to go to heaven. Jesus' mother Mary and the Saints do not have any power to get us to Heaven. They had to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour also!! You say to READ your Bible, but you are still celebrating mass to saints and Mary, instead to the Lord himself. As a born again believer I do believe that Christians are not demanded to go to church every time the door is open. But it states in the Bible " Forsaken not the assembling of yourselves together as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another and so much the more as you see the day approaching" . This means it is important for Christians to gather together to edify and have Spiritual exhorting to help us through our daily walk. Especially now the day is approaching for the second coming of Jesus. Again you should practice what you preach!! READ YOUR BIBLE! Its a fantastic book!
  • Cat Roni 2007/06/05 14:36:46
    Cat
    Roni, I said as a Catholic for me. Not anyone else. As for the bible I agree, if anyone ever picks it up to read it is almost impossible to put down. I don't think you read what I said, I meant only for me that the days of obligations were little enough to ask. AGAIN every one's religion is as personal as their soul and heart. The word of the second coming i.e. the Bible was written a long time ago. And the teaching are still sound, be good, do un to others. But he was coming when the Bible was written and we still wait and have to act as we do until he does and hope we are worthy. Again, no one religion has a monopoly on Biblical interpretation, it is what we seek and find in our hearts as true. To me, I find great comfort in the blessed Mother. I have a Devotion to the Virgin, as a former Catholic you know what that is. And as a fundamentalist you think my soul is lost I'm sure. That is the wonderful thing about America. FREEDOM of Religion.
  • Roni Cat 2007/06/05 22:33:35
    Roni
    Cat I care alot for people who have not been told the truth. Please read the Gospel of John chapter three and ask your priest to explain it. I can tell you he cannot. Because the church and other religions pass by these very important verses because it doesnt coincide with what they believe. I take and believe the full book of the Bible, not just parts. Yes freedom of religion. That will be a good excuse to use when you face the God of this creation and explain to him why you did not make him Lord of your life. Hell is a real place and eternity is a really long time. Jesus said only by being born again can you enter the gates of Heaven. That is in the Bible, now tell me what you think he meant. Again read the Gospel of John chapter three. These are the words spoken by Jesus himself. Take care!
  • rhee Roni 2009/06/09 03:33:31
    rhee
    Roni and Cat please read 2 Peter 1:20-21 This means only Jesus is right
  • rhee Cat 2009/06/09 03:34:26
    rhee
    Cat and Roni please read 2 Peter 1:20-21...This means only Jesus is right
  • Cat rhee 2009/06/10 02:13:28
    Cat
    +1
    I have left the Catholic Church since I originally answered this poll. I have been screwed over by lying nuns who have wrecked my life. As I asked a wise old Priest about how could there be lying NUNS! he said "with all the bad Priest in the church don't you think there can be bad nuns? I've left ORGANZIED RELIGION....I love my Lord, but blowy on those who try and get me in their walls, I pray and PRAISE MY Lord continually, but as for my Priest, Father Wishy Washy, he never stood up for me any more than my Holy Father John Paul I did for all those little boys. This is my reply.......

father wishy washy stood holy father john paul boys reply
  • rhee Cat 2009/06/10 06:02:56
    rhee
    I totally agree 100% ...He has no religion ...He is the Great I am and thats enough for me
  • jackrorabbit 2007/06/04 16:40:55
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    A Christian is simply one who has accepted Jesus Christ as their
    personal savior. Now God wants us to fellowship together for strength
    and teaching, but it is not a requirement for being a Christian. If
    that was the case, every person who started a church, without other
    people, in the hopes that some would eventually come, would miss the
    boat. That would mean that all those who believed, but who were too
    sick at home or in a home, would "lose their membership". Christianity
    is about a personal relationship with you and Jesus as your savior, the
    rest is just frosting.
  • debra 2007/06/04 12:22:39
    debra
    IT ISN'T EASY THOUGH AND THE BIBLE SAYS WE ARE TO GO TO CHURCH THE MORE WE SEE THE END COMING..THAT IS TODAY MORE THAN EVER DON'T YOU THINK?IF YOU CAN'T GO TO CHURCH THAT IS DIFFERENT..BUT IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GO YOU SHOULD.
  • reminder 2007/06/04 05:57:14
    reminder
  • Michael Jackson Heroin Drug... 2007/06/04 04:40:13
    Michael Jackson Heroin Drug User
    Of couse you can. Each person practices their religion they way they choose.
  • joe Michael... 2007/07/17 13:20:57
    joe
    Good for you Sandi , you're right on the money .
  • ARMENTHIA 2007/06/04 02:13:16
    ARMENTHIA
    +3
  • lonewolf 2007/06/03 23:35:20 (edited)
    lonewolf
    +2
    yes very much so.i know others say you can't but that's not true. everyone has there own opion on what a christian is. lot of people work sunday's. because they don't take it off to go church does that make them less of a christian. i think not. or because they don't think like other christian's does that make them less of one no. you know it in your heart if you are or not. do you pray do you know god .do you look for guideince from him. besides without people there would be no church. there is only one person who will judge you in the end. and that's all the what matters. i'm glad to be a christian

2014/09/30 22:05:25