CAN WE GIVE A PRAYER FOR THOSE IN THE EAST WHO HAVE SURVIVED THE STORM? Deadly storms leave millions without power in eastern US

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/01 00:36:14
Yes, we will pray for those in the east.
No, I do not believe in prayers.
7 deadly storms leave millions without power and some have lost their lives.

Many without air conditioning in triple-digit heat

* Eleven deaths from storms

* States of emergency in Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

* AT&T; National golf tournament closed to spectators

By Ian Simpson

WASHINGTON, June 30 (Reuters) - Nearly 4 million homes and businesses were without power on Saturday amid a record heat wave in the eastern United States after deadly thunderstorms downed power lines from Indiana to New Jersey. At least 11 people were killed.

Statewide emergencies were declared in Washington D.C., Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia because of damage from overnight storms, which brought hurricane-force winds along a 500-mile (800-km) stretch.

Forecasters predicted more severe thunderstorms as renewed heat blanketed the area on Saturday.

Temperatures surpassed 100 Fahrenheit (37 Celsius) in several southern cities, including Atlanta, where the mercury hit 106 degrees (41 Celsius), and Charlotte, North Carolina, where it reached 102 F (38 C), according to Accuweather.com. The nation's capital cooled down to 96 Fahrenheit (96 C).

Restoring power in some areas could take up to a week. Utilities in Ohio and Virginia described damage as catastrophic.

"It's going to be a while before some folks get power, and with the heat, that's our big concern," said Bob Spieldenner, a spokesman for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

More than 1 million Virginia customers had no power in the worst outage not linked to a hurricane in the state's history, he said.

Six people were killed in Virginia in storm-related incidents.

Utilities or state emergency agen

• Sophie 2012/07/02 01:53:20 (edited)
    Sophie
    +2
    Absolutely in my prayers. prayers
  • Rebel 2012/07/01 07:57:53
    Rebel
    +2
    Appreciated. I lost power and so did a lot of my family. They we're some powerful storms I'll tell you that much, we had some pretty strong ones tonight as well.

Of course everyone else on the East Coast has my prayers as well.
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/07/01 05:03:36
    No, I do not believe in prayers.
    Death On Two Legs
    +1
    *Not religious

My area had a severe thunderstorm last night. There was a crack of thunder that made the house shake....
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/07/01 04:22:42
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    I certainly agree with sending good thoughts their way.
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/01 04:20:02
    JanHopkins
    +2
    I have friends and family involved. I pray they get the grid up soon.
  • Gooky JanHopkins 2012/07/01 13:42:04
    Gooky
    +2
    Me too...this has to be a living hell for these people.
  • JanHopkins Gooky 2012/07/02 04:04:57
    JanHopkins
    +1
    I remember when this happened in my area way back in the seventies. No power for weeks, hot and super humid. We had to cook over an open fire pit in that awfull heat but we were luckier than most people. We had a garden full of eats and hens for eggs and meat.
    The most annoying thing was the fact that everybody automatically hit the light switches whenever they entered a room and every once in awhile tried to turn on the TV.That's when I realized that we were all like Pavlov's dogs. We just couldn't shake the training of a lifetime.
  • Gooky JanHopkins 2012/07/02 18:50:44
    Gooky
    +1
    It happened here in August,'03...it was hotter than a firecracker.Yup...we'd hit the fans,cause the AC didn't work...lol...and we'd hit the light switches.
    Habits do die hard,within us.
  • raschell97 2012/07/01 03:56:49
    raschell97
    +2
    I say a prayer for them each night
    maybe with hurricane season going on there will be some rain I think this drought is the worst ever
  • Gooky 2012/07/01 01:12:42
    Gooky
    +2
    praying
    Very much so...
  • I. Car Rus 2012/07/01 01:03:33
    I. Car Rus
    +2
    thanks, our power just came back on after about 20 hours. it was 104 today and I had to spend it cleaning trees and debris from my driveway and yard. massive winds last evening. lots of folks still without power or water all around us.
  • Gooky I. Car Rus 2012/07/01 01:13:58
    Gooky
    +2
    Drink lots of water...and find some shade...we will keep the prayers coming.
  • I. Car Rus Gooky 2012/07/01 02:58:02
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    thanks much.

2014/04/23 17:15:17