Can Tragedies Like the School Shooting in Connecticut Be Avoided?

As we take a moment to digest the horrific events that took place Friday morning, at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, different thoughts plague our minds. But all undoubtedly have the common inquiry: "Can heinous and irrational crimes like this be avoided?"

Could the suspected killer -- who the media is reporting is either 24-year-old Ryan Lanza or 20-year-old Adam Lanza -- have gotten psychological or mental help that would have prevented him from executing the mass shooting? Did the shooter get his weapon illegally -- or was it all too convenient for him to get? And does "evil" and an unthinkable disregard for other human life actually exist?

• gimini210 2012/12/14 23:13:17
    gimini210
    +73
    Just give this some thought, if the teachers had a right to carry arms and were trained to use them do you think anyone would march into a school and do what was done today? If all legal citizens had the right to carry and did, do you think there would be anyone stupid enough to try to shot people in a mall when 90% or more were armed and dangerous? If more people learned to use and armed themselves do you think the bad guys would try crap? Half the problems we have are the good citizen have no real protection against the crazy and deadly ones and a government who thinks disarming the few who can protect themselves will solve the problem. Disarming the legal citizens will not save anyone but will create more of what we are seeing go on.

• corey 2014/02/12 04:08:29
    corey
    not possible. if it is not committed by civilians it will be committed by a government official, once the population is disarmed.
  • Dani 2014/01/17 11:38:13
    Dani
    Sure,the parents can homeschool.
  • Iefan Muineachán 2013/04/14 11:51:53
    Iefan Muineachán
    Our public health service is too small and horrible.
    We don't need to increase gun control measures; Connecticut's are already amongst the strictest in America. No, we need to expand our mental health facilities. My grandmother says just that, and she's a former psychiatric nurse.
  • corey Iefan M... 2014/02/12 04:29:23 (edited)
    corey
    why is it they always want to blame it on the mental health problem. ever consider its more to do with how we treat each other?

most shootings is related to how people treat each other
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.co...
    Quote
    "Harris, who conceived the attacks, was more than just troubled. He was, psychologists now say, a cold-blooded, predatory psychopath — a smart, charming liar with "a preposterously grand superiority complex, a revulsion for authority and an excruciating need for control," Cullen writes."
    What was pointed out in this link, I do not fully agree with, but what is of concern is how we treat each other. Whether they were bullied or if they were the bullies etc. I am not buying the mental illness crap 20/20 hindsight can be made to look however you wanted if you have enough information to work with. And the original people are dead, can't really do a baseline on dead people to judge by.

I can think of quite a few people who fit this description who are NOT deemed mentally ill but fit the above quote.

trump
    Koch brothers
    heads of the largest banks
    85 richest people in the world who have the same wealth as 3.5 billion people at the bottom.
    all the bullies that tormented me through school/ work environment.
    board of directors of enron
    board of directors of BP oil.
    on and on
  • Mikayla Simons 2013/02/19 21:41:01
    Mikayla Simons
    Why would you say no about this question!!!!!!!
  • phil.ol... Mikayla... 2013/05/07 10:31:27
    phil.olding.3
    I said no to this question because a bunch of useful idiots refuse to put any security in schools.

There is nothing preventing anyone, with any weapon, from walking into the elementary school that I went to, and slaughtering as many kids as they can.

Useful idiots will make sure that this remains the same. That's just wrong.
  • S123 2013/02/18 03:13:19
    S123
    Not always.
  • l8rthen 2013/01/28 15:39:23
    l8rthen
    There will always be violent atrocities by man while on this earth. If not here, then somewhere else.
  • RezcrashGB 2013/01/20 01:05:39
    RezcrashGB
    Because all ownership of guns was not removed
    after the last Cowboy n Redskin shoot outs years ago .. tut tut
    and U S Govnts have done nothing at all 8¬ { ... How they Gunna stop
    any nut job getting a Gun now .... get the AVENGERS maybe ? 8¬ ]
  • kayla smith 2013/01/02 00:42:26
    kayla smith
    because it was not expected!
  • phil.ol... kayla s... 2013/01/04 23:51:00
    phil.olding.3
    +1
    This is exactly it.

If you expect tragedy to happen, and you don't prepare for it, you're an idiot. If you don't expect tragedy can happen, and you don't prepare for the event that it does, you're an idiot.

Our money is protected by armed guards. Our children are protected by words on paper (laws), words on signs (gun-free zones), and good intentions. Pro tip to everyone out there: THE MONEY IS PRETTY SAFE!
  • ailsa.king2 2012/12/27 20:36:25
    ailsa.king2
    I believe this was a false flag incident designed by certain top level US government officials to sway peoples' opinions in favor of the government plan to disarm American citizens, thereby making them easier to control...
    I also believe Adam Lanza was the 'fall guy' in all of this simply because he had a history of mental illness, was on drugs prescribed to 'treat' his mental illness and was thereby easily manipulated by hypnosis....
    You may believe I have 'lost the plot' completely and it is your right to do so... everybody is entitled to their own opinion however, before you decide to write me off, consider this:
    Why were the parents of the shooting victims prevented by the authorities from viewing their children's bodies.... they were made to identify their children from photographs which anyone with half a brain knows can be photo-shopped!
    Why were the children's bodies 'removed' to the medical examiners office for autopsies? They didn't 'die' from disease - I don't believe an autopsy would be required to find a victim had died as a result of gunshot wounds!
    There is a lot about this incident that just doesn't measure up or ring true for me simply because the information being given by the 'authorities' has been constantly changing, right from the first responders on the ...
    There is a lot about this incident that just doesn't measure up or ring true for me simply because the information being given by the 'authorities' has been constantly changing, right from the first responders on the scene until now....
    The medical examiner initially said all of the victims had been shot with a rifle or shotgun, yet Adam Lanza's body was found with only hand guns.... a rifle was found locked in the trunk of the car he drove to the school... how does someone who has just slaughtered a huge number of people and them themselves within a matter of minutes with a 'rifle' get the rifle back into the trunk of the car and then get back to where his body was found with only hand guns when he is already dead?
  • gary 2012/12/27 05:00:09
  • phil.ol... gary 2013/01/04 23:57:56
    phil.olding.3
    Shootings will happen.

So should we do nothing, should we do something like writing words on paper (making more laws), or should we do something like actually stationing armed people everywhere these gun-free zones exist, and allow people to carry guns where they don't, to kill these people after they start shooting?
  • Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/12/26 16:31:22
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    +1
    There is no way to be 100% safe but if we practice better security, especially in places where little children will be, then we can prevent tragedies like this.
  • Ramón 2012/12/26 01:55:18
    Ramón
    Probably not, but we can stop them in schools. Larue is right... put armed guards in all schools and though crazies will use guns, they would be stupid to try to go into harms way. Most are cowards... I mean, why else commit suicide rather than go out in a blaze fighting the cops? They don't want that because they are COWARDS.

Put a military veteran in their who's had proper training and the nutballs will stay away. Though they may go to areas where they know no guns are to commit their atrocities, like businesses that put up "no guns" signs.
  • NECHOII Ramón 2012/12/26 08:29:56
    NECHOII
    Now that William Spengler has ambushed and killed his sister, along with two volunteer firemen and wounded two other volunteer firemen and a policemen, perhaps we should appiy the Wayne LaPierre principle and have at least one fireman riding shotgun on the fire truck who is specially trained in fighting off ambushes !
    Funny how William Spengler, who spent 17 years in jail for killing his grandmother and was banned for life from owning firearms, got hold of those guns anyway !
    Maybe we should just ban the Second Amendment.
  • Ramón NECHOII 2013/01/01 01:57:14
    Ramón
    Someone there did fire back. Didn't you read though that they arrested the woman who gave him the weapons. Laws don't stop criminals, they'll get what they want however they can. The laws all worked here, but were sidestepped by.... drum roll.... criminals.
  • NECHOII Ramón 2013/01/02 02:10:17
    NECHOII
    +1
    Someone fired back ?! Not very effectively ! The Killer killed himself. Laws cut the murder rate by guns drastically. For results, look to Great Britain after they enacted an alomost total ban on guns back in the late 1990's.
  • phil.ol... NECHOII 2013/01/05 00:33:38
    phil.olding.3
    +1
    Laws don't cut the murder rates by anything drastically.

Banning guns in America won't actually remove them from the hands of people. Most guns, to this day, are unregistered.

Also, look at Great Britain's violent crime rate - it's more than doubled after they've banned guns. They even went and banned knives, and that's still not preventing crime.
  • NECHOII phil.ol... 2013/01/05 02:55:22
    NECHOII
    You can never eradicate creime completely, but anti - firearms laws that are ENFORCED can sure cut the murder by guns rate.
    OVERALL, crime is much worse in the United States than in Great Britain.
  • phil.ol... NECHOII 2013/01/06 06:58:35
    phil.olding.3
    Gang related crime is much worse in the United States than in Great Britain. Not all crime. In fact, crime itself is MUCH worse in the UK than anywhere in the US, except major cities, that have insane crime rates.

Also - as most guns aren't registered, there's no way the government can come and take them. More importantly, as it is my right to have them, if you try to take my rights, I will kill you. I'm only one person among millions who will do this.

Words on paper do nothing to stop criminals. Criminals can only be arrested for crime AFTER that crime has been committed. More laws will accomplish NOTHING but wasting money, time, and removing freedom from law-abiding people - which may get them killed.
  • NECHOII phil.ol... 2013/01/06 20:48:56
    NECHOII
    Gee, here I an living in a democracy thinking I have the freedom to express my opinion and run for political office in an effort to win over enough voters to be elected to political office so I can enact and ENFORCE laws that would bring about the end of private gun ownership.
    Look PHIL OF...., we don't exist by " rule of the jungle " here. You or anybody that thinks they can take the law into their own hands by killing people that you disagree with ( Communists do that. ) will suffer dire consquences under our justice system.
  • phil.ol... NECHOII 2013/01/07 02:20:48
    phil.olding.3
    +1
    Justifiable homicide has to be justifiable.

People who take my rights away from me by force? It's justifiable to kill them.

If most people in the country are retarded enough hate black people, that doesn't mean that black people don't have rights. If most people in the country are retarded enough to hate guns, that doesn't mean we don't have the right to own guns.
  • NECHOII phil.ol... 2013/01/08 02:46:53
    NECHOII
    Your first sentence is rubbish. There is NO " justification " for homicide !
    If Killers who have " passed F.B.I. background checks " kill people, it is time to ban the Second Amendment.
    God bless former Congreswoman Gabby Giffords.
  • phil.ol... NECHOII 2013/01/08 08:22:10
  • NECHOII phil.ol... 2013/01/10 01:33:51
    NECHOII
    Give the criminal the option of " Hands Up " while you call the police on your cell phone.
    If the LAW comes for your guns, you will give them up as a good law abiding citizen or face the consquences.
  • Rubberneck NECHOII 2013/05/06 15:20:12
    Rubberneck
    If anyone tries to deprive me of My Right to Life it means I shall defend my life with whatever means I see fit...
  • Rubberneck NECHOII 2013/05/06 15:16:19
    Rubberneck
    Democracy= Mob Rule= Rule of the Jungle... That is why the United States is a Republic not a Democracy.
  • NECHOII Rubberneck 2013/05/07 02:35:31
    NECHOII
    Eh ?! The United States of America is a Republican democracy whereas countries like Great Britain and Canada recognize our Queen as ceramonial Head of State.
  • Rubberneck NECHOII 2013/01/21 05:16:47
  • NECHOII Rubberneck 2013/01/22 01:57:28
    NECHOII
    In 2010 in GREAT BRITAIN there were 58 people murdered by guns. In that same year there were 8,775 people in the UNITED STATES murdered by guns.
  • NECHOII Rubberneck 2013/05/07 02:38:46
    NECHOII
    I stand by my stats on gun DEATHS in Great Britain, but gun violence is a growing violence is a growing problem there. Thank God there is no British N.R.A. urging the government to let everyone have a gun to ' solve " the gun violence problem.
  • CherylD NECHOII 2014/02/02 19:18:05
    CherylD
    Dear Necholl..after spending time in the UK I can say you are correct on the gun deaths. BUT you fail to list the MURDER RATE and CRIME RATE that skyrocketed with the gun ban. You also failed to make mention of the fact that most murders committed in the USA are with a HAMMER...same as in the UK!!! Second is a knife...SAME as in the UK....and if we go down the line of weapons used in murder ....on EVERY inch of the planet....its called hands. Should we cut them all of at birth so no person will ever use them to kill another again? add to it a lobotomy and wallah!!! peace on earth!! Nirvanah! Heaven!! I will say it again...how many mass shootings happen in a police station? answer...NONE! reason why...EVERBODY IS ARMED IN THERE!! crazies arent as crazy as they want you to think!!
  • NECHOII CherylD 2014/02/05 01:12:08 (edited)
    NECHOII
    Can you give me the stats that show the murder and crime rate have skyrocketed since Great Britain since they introduced gun control ?!
    I'd like to see the stats that most murders on this planet are committed by hands.
    Yeah, everybody is armed in a police station, EXCEPT THE CRIMINALS. We would expect police officers to abide by the law.
  • Ramón NECHOII 2013/01/21 18:57:40
    Ramón
    Everywhere there has been someone shooting back the murder-death-kill rate has been either lower or reduced to one, the criminal.
  • NECHOII Ramón 2013/01/22 01:53:07
    NECHOII
    Thugs operate by STEALTH and SURPRISE. The victim almost always doesn't have a chance to reach for their gun to fight back.
  • Ramón NECHOII 2013/01/23 01:43:23
    Ramón
    Yes, they do, but in the instances where concealed carry was the law CRIME WENT DOWN. In Florida, after a series of rapes, 6000 women applied for CC and then took the training. Rapes went down because 6000 random women in the population could potentially carry. So the thugs didn't even try.
  • NECHOII Ramón 2013/01/25 01:39:52
    NECHOII
    Rapists can strike out of the blue, knocking and pinning their victim down. The victim cannot reach her gun in time.
  • Ramón NECHOII 2013/01/29 18:01:18
    Ramón
    But in Florida that is NOT what happened. Rapes went down because the perp didn't know what his chances were against a woman who may or may not be armed. That is the point. RAPES WENT DOWN IN FLORIDA because of concealed carry. The unarmed women benefited from the rapist's fear of a woman with a gun.

2014/10/25 19:48:03