Can morality exist without religion?

sdterp 2008/11/24 09:20:16
No, religion is necessary to provide the framework for morality.
Yes, an Atheist or Agnostic could be just as moral as a Buddhist, Christian, Muslim or other religious person.
I'm not sure how I feel or what I believe about the role of religion in the formation of morality.
Can't an Atheist be as moral as (possibly more moral than) someone of any given religious background? Since religion has been misused to oppress, control, justify and even kill, is it impossible to imagine people finding morality within the framework of a Humanistic perspective?

• Outtolunch 2008/11/24 11:47:32
    Yes, an Atheist or Agnostic could be just as moral as a Buddhist, Christian, ...
    Outtolunch
    +3
    Given the amount of deaths in the name of religion over the centuries, I very often question the morality of religion.

• seathanaich 2009/10/10 18:42:24
    seathanaich
    Obviously. Morality predates religion.

The only real question is: can morality exist where there is religion?
  • Charlie 2009/08/14 19:55:50
    Charlie
  • acbcdc 2009/07/19 17:35:18
    acbcdc
    the only good thing i see about religions is that they actually make many ignorant selfish people act moral..... it stops poor countries from collapsing... more than 1 billion people in this world earn less than $2 a day, and imagine if they were all atheists and had no fear of commtting any crime whatsoever
  • BiologyStudent 2009/07/19 16:22:02 (edited)
    BiologyStudent
    I wrote a whole blog about it. It goes into where morality comes from as a species.

http://www.sodahead.com/blog/...
  • 1348933 2009/06/24 19:52:11
    1348933
    Absolutely. Some of the most conscientiously moral people I've ever known have been atheists and agnostics.
  • Wolfoftime 2009/06/05 01:02:27
    Wolfoftime
    I haven't killed anyone yet,so yeah.
  • Emma 2009/05/23 00:48:03
    Emma
    Morality is a learned characteristic that comes from making mistakes and adjusting our lives in accordance to avoid making them again; from the wisdom of others when we accept their guidance, and from the wisdom we gain for ourselves in light of our own experiences and how we want to use the energy that moves us through life. I've known a few religious people who were not moral. I've also known people who never set foot in a church, but were extremely moral. It all comes down to who a person wants to be, and how they want to be seen.
  • Holly 2009/05/22 17:59:32
    Holly
    +1
    I happen to be agnostic and i have morals....it's not like if you don't believe in god you have no soul. You just get to choose your own right and wrong rather then fearing something so much that you take on that religions sense of right and wrong and not thinking for yourself and what you as your own person finds to be moral or immoral.
  • Greywolf~In God We Trust~ 2009/02/16 21:29:32
    Greywolf~In God We Trust~
    Do most people really understand justice or Morality?
    Evil people don't understand justice nor do they progress beyond feudal morality, but those who follow the Lord understand completely.
    (Proverbs 28:5 NLT)

I think for an awareness of justice you have to first look at, and then past the court system.
    Justice means righteousness, lawfulness, and moral rightness, the quality of being true or correct, the moral principle determining just conduct. So justice has a moral quality. It contains a concept of what is right and, therefore, must also have a concept of what is wrong.
    Only people who understand these concepts of right and wrong can understand and administer justice. By extension, only those who follow the Lord can understand justice and morality. Why? Because they subscribe to the foundational laws of the one who created them.

Thus, as this proverb points out, evil people don't understand justice nor morality. Because they refuse to subscribe to justice's moral underpinnings given by God in his Word, they are left to discover their own truths. As a result, many conclude that there is no truth. Others conclude that everyone can have different truths. Both perspectives are hopelessly doomed. And as a building without a foundation will crumble, so justice can never be s...

''

(Proverbs 28:5 NLT)

Thus, as this proverb points out, evil people don't understand justice nor morality. Because they refuse to subscribe to justice's moral underpinnings given by God in his Word, they are left to discover their own truths. As a result, many conclude that there is no truth. Others conclude that everyone can have different truths. Both perspectives are hopelessly doomed. And as a building without a foundation will crumble, so justice can never be served without the foundation of right and wrong as given by God in his Word.

A godless justice can be bent to serve any means, financially or morality convenient at the time, meaning that morality would basically cease to exist, and the world becomes feudal, with modern technology, a feasible possibility in the forseeable future.
    With God's word, comes absolute authority in god's law.

If a child was cought stealing you could tell him not to do it again because it is bad to do that.
    Now, if you tell that same child not to do it again, because Jesus said so in his laws, that god laid down for all of us to follow, then he can rely (much as children do on parents) on the fact that there is a higher authority that will correct and guide him, and he will understand they why (moral) as well rather than just the legal aspect of things.
    .
    children parents higher authority correct guide understand moral legal aspect
  • Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW* 2009/02/16 21:26:10
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    Buddism isn't a religon. Study the ancient greek philosophers Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. They talk about morality a lot and they didn't follow religon.
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2008/12/31 04:54:38
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +1
    One of the purposes of Philosophy is to explain and define morality without a religious context.

muslim religious person purposes philosophy explain define morality religious context
  • JDLogan 2008/12/31 03:33:19
    JDLogan
    Or even more so, as they do right for right's sake, not through some threat of eternal damnation.
  • JULIE 2008/12/30 21:40:20 (edited)
    JULIE
    It seems to me that wars are caused by religion, just look at the fighting that goes on here with Soda heads, where so called christians are attacking and judgemental, and before I get put back on the attack list, I dont mean all christians. But it only takes 2 to start a war.
  • dony ''In God We Trust'' 2008/12/30 20:54:53
    dony ''In God We Trust''
    religion provide framework morality

Remember these atheists.
  • Joker 2... dony ''... 2009/02/16 21:27:39
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    How about these religous people

religous people religous people religous people
  • dony ''... Joker 2... 2009/02/17 00:57:42
    dony ''In God We Trust''
    How come everytime we Christians say everyone has commited crimes against humanity, people come bite back about the Crusades. It happened 800 years ago you have to get over it. Also I dislike the violence of Islam just as much as you do. And I hate the Westbro Baptist Church for there insulting of our troops. So you are right, religion has caused destruction in the past, but so did atheist countries. The Soviet Union killed a hundred million people in the 20th century alone, thats more deaths than the Crusades, Inquisition, and Salem Witch hunts, and 9-11 all together. So my point is that EVERYONE has commited crimes of violence against his fellow human beings.
  • Joker 2... dony ''... 2009/02/17 01:02:35
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +1
    It happened 800 years ago

The people on the bottom picture are also christian. I'm aware of how long ago the crusades were but those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I agree with the rest of your post.
  • 519378 2008/12/07 21:23:11
    519378
    +1
    Taoists and Buddhists do not believe in gods, yet they can be very moral.
  • Tomus Megalomania 2008/11/25 06:08:02
    Tomus Megalomania
    A moral code is just a set of rules, more or less. Better ethics can be achieved through a humanistic perspective, I think.
  • W_C 2008/11/24 20:00:48
    W_C
    I feel I am a relatively moral person, yet I do not follow a religion. I follow my brain.
  • Twizzer 2008/11/24 17:52:43
    Twizzer
    I would say both A and B. I think that there has to be some sort of moral authority, or "religion" that would set standards of morality otherwise there would really be no such thing. Any human being can be moral whether they believe in a higher being or not. There are a lot of good people who don't believe in God or follow a religion, there are a lot of bad people who do.
  • funkadelica 2008/11/24 16:53:29
    funkadelica
    Yes, I think so.
  • dtpga 2008/11/24 16:37:20
    dtpga
    +1
    Feel compelled to go against the group here...no chance. The logical end is disastrous.
  • JULIE dtpga 2008/12/30 21:42:39
    JULIE
    why are so many wars and injustices committed in the name of religion?
    I dont see the athiests fighting over the chosen land
  • dtpga JULIE 2008/12/31 02:50:08
    dtpga
    Our major wars, Revolutionary War, French and Indian, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War 1 (for USA). None were fought in the name of or because of religion. I guess if you go back to the crusades there were some, but even those had a imperialistic "I want something you have" component to them. Religion was just a convenient excuse.
  • misthy 2008/11/24 12:30:59
    misthy
    +1
    of course, what a question is that?
  • Moderated 2008/11/24 11:58:06
    Moderated
    +1
    But I still believe the human spirit is alive and kicking....just sleeping....
  • Outtolunch 2008/11/24 11:47:32
    Outtolunch
    +3
  • Kissmysong 2008/11/24 11:35:04
  • ubiquitous_tergiversation 2008/11/24 11:08:53
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    It's a simple fact.
  • 1014589 2008/11/24 10:43:21
  • GoAway! 2008/11/24 10:24:49
    GoAway!
    +1
    I was raised Catholic and pride myself as being a recovering Catholic. You can still have morals and be very spiritual without being religious. My daughter knows right from wrong and she didn't have to go to church to learn that.
  • I'm Left, You're Wrong 2008/11/24 09:47:10
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +1
    Of course it can....and does
  • Estick 2008/11/24 09:35:56
    Estick
    +1
    Religion and morality are not synonymous.

agnostic moral buddhist christian muslim religious person religion morality synonymous
  • GOD 2008/11/24 09:27:04
    GOD
    +2
    yes I am a atheist and I have very high morals
  • ¡Fantastico! 2008/11/24 09:23:44

2014/11/01 09:49:02