Can Latino GOP Sell Arizona Immigration Law?

Politics 2010/07/22 23:00:00
Arizona’s controversial new immigration law has elicited boycotts from dozens of major cities across the U.S and Latin America and a lawsuit from the Department of Justice questioning its constitutionality. But on Thursday, according to Fox News, the Arizona Latino Republican Association was in line to become the first Hispanic organization in the country to actively oppose the DOJ’s lawsuit against S.B. 1070 by filing a motion to intervene against it.

Larry Klayman, founder of the conservative lobbying group Freedom Watch, Inc. said, "This is a way to tell the country that, 'Hey, we're Americans too and we believe in the rule of law’ … It's a way to say, 'We got here legally and we contributed a great deal. We want the rest of the country to recognize that we're with you' [in the national immigration debate]."

Klayman sees the ALRA’s filing as a way of becoming “in effect” a defendant in the DOJ lawsuit, which names the state of Arizona and Governor Jan Brewer in the claim that the AZ law attempts to supersede federal jurisdiction on immigration matters. Fox News did not speak to a representative for the ALRA for its report.

Do you think the ALRA’s suit will turn the tide on the AZ immigration law?

• OPOA912 2010/07/26 15:13:31
    OPOA912
    Join the discussion! Leave a comment.
  • chaoskitty123 2010/07/26 03:50:13
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    The Arizona immigration law actually stops discrimination against Hispanics rather than create it. You say that's nonsense? Do you know how much discrimination Hispanics who immigrate to the US legally every day because of illegal immigrants? Most legal Hispanic immigrants learn to speak English as an example and the issue of illegal immigration makes it look like they refuse to learn the language which is false. They are viewed as criminals, as deadbeats and that they're here to leech off the government... none of which is true for most who come here legally.

Illegal immigrants are the ones creating the problems legal Hispanic immigrants are forced to deal with every day and while an inconvenience to show documents to prove they are in the US legally, ultimately as illegals are removed or stop crossing the border illegally, the need for this law will decrease and enforcement will become lax as long as the problem of illegal immigration persists.

Police already have the legal right to pull you over and ask for identification or to have random checkpoints to search for illegal activity or things such as you're wearing your seatbelt... and they do have the right to ask you for your identification.

If the federal government would enforce the existing federal immigration laws... this wouldn't even be necessary nor would all these illegals even be in the United States right now.
  • Royal W... chaoski... 2010/08/21 23:42:22
    Royal Warrior
    There was a CITY in the DC area that enacted a law similar to AZs new law a few years ago. They vetted their law rigorously and gave intensive training to their police officers. Their crime rate fell, and LEGAL immigrants have moved there in DROVES (they say that this way, everyone knows they ARE legal) So much for most of the arguments against AZs law.
    And of course, had the feds actually done their job, AZ wouldn't feel the need to enact such a law!
  • Rore73 2010/07/26 01:26:43 (edited)
    Rore73
    +1
    What???? There are some really decent US citizens that happen to be Latino. The media wants to paint with a broad brush, but I can assure everyone that all Latinos are not gang members, dope pushers, and criminals. If asked politely, it's unlikely that they would ever refuse to show their drivers license. This is a bunch of MSM BS!
  • Royal W... Rore73 2010/08/21 23:44:40
    Royal Warrior
    True. Plus, I have friends who travel inter-nationally A LOT (they work with a missions/philathropic group) and say it is normal in other countries to be EXPECTED to have your ID on you at all times, and getting upset at some law-officer or even store clerk who asks for it is just stupid! (the store-clerks frequently have to tell people "this is illegal for you to import into your nation")
    +1
    Jan Brewer made this law to protect Arizona.
  • looivulcubfan 2010/07/24 22:33:42
    looivulcubfan
    I hope so. Check out the video that exposes McCain's true colors.
    After watching the short clip, give it a thumbs up and comment.
  • Drew~PWCM~JLA~ 2010/07/24 05:06:38
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    It shows that the Legal immigrants are on board with the rest of the country, minus of course the liberal idiots in the larger cities. Most legal latinos are conservatives and Christian. DUH Barry Soetro! Wake up and smell the coffee!
  • m 2010/07/24 03:28:21
    m
    I certainly hope so.
  • DRLJR 2010/07/24 01:15:03
    DRLJR
    +1
    Anyone who takes the time to read Article 6 of the US Constitution to enforce or aid in enforcing federal laws. An illegal alien is not a immigrant. And illegal aliens come in all sorts of ethnicity. There are Canadian, British, German, Spanish, Brazilian, Chinese, Japanese, etc illegal aliens. Different groups are present in different areas. And all illegal aliens are criminals. They have to commit at least 1 fraud to manage to stay in the country.

Having read most of the bill all it does is simply allow law enforcement personal to ask a person if they are in the country legally when stopping them for another offense. And federal law requires non-citizens to have their immigration papers on them. Copies of the US laws can be found at http://uscode.house.gov/ for those who want to actually read the laws our Congress has passed.
  • ELSD 2010/07/23 22:40:51
    ELSD
    If they really want to they can. Most people are lemings who just follow
  • Icono1 2010/07/23 20:04:39
    Icono1
    +2
    Can't hurt to try.
  • Texas 2010/07/23 18:56:56
    Texas
    +2
    I say we just chain the ILLEGALS to the existing fence during the day, parading their captured status and emphasizing the criminal activity to others. If further psychological impact be deemed necessary, we tattoo ILLEGAL across their forehead.

At night they would be forced to finish building the rest of the fence. That labor alone would help pay for some of the cost of their trespasses and criminal activity.

For the rest of their sentence(new legislation needed to create a felony offense- terroristic threat to the soveriegn USA based on ILLEGAL immigration) they can help pave our streets and harvest our crops- give back instead of taking. And once their jail time is up, they get micro-chipped and deported.
    +1
    The majority of legal immigrants also want illegal immigration removed.
  • kate 2010/07/23 18:27:36
    kate
    "according to Fox News...." that's all I needed to read.

Keep it coming, its not hard to tell this Sodahead organization is a Murdoch run lie machine as well.

I'm sure you'd find a Jew somewhere who will deny the Holocaust also, there are interviews with old slaves who said they thought slavery was better than freedom.

There's always a few confused souls and what they say does not over ride the majority opinion on what is right. Most Latinos see the Arizona law as racist on its face.
  • Drew~PW... kate 2010/07/24 05:18:15
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    Way better than MSN lie machine. Most illegal aliens want to convince others that Az law is racist but the legal immigrants would beg to differ with you and the Majority will be answering any of your questions in November. ;)
  • wpsark 2010/07/23 17:57:54
    wpsark
    +1
    It will have no effect...Do you think this administration cares about what the legal immigrants think about the Arizona law, much less REPUBLICANS
  • Howling Hank 2010/07/23 17:55:22
    Howling Hank
    +3
    I hope so..., and I'm latino as well!
  • LeroyRogers 2010/07/23 17:53:06
    LeroyRogers
    +4
    Most Latino's born in America against the illegal immigration. If you want to come live here, do it legally and you will be welcome.
  • Texas Johnny 2010/07/23 17:37:14
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    From what I gather, many Hispanics in El Paso, don't like illegal immigration either, but its the vocal minority in favor of open borders that gets the most press. I hope we get a group like that here.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2010/07/23 17:20:40
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +3
    I don't see why not. Most legal immigrants have to jump through hoops to get here, so it is indeed unfair to just allow these line breakers to advance to citizenship.
  • Blown One SoCalEx... 2010/07/24 01:34:46
    Blown One
    +2
    AND... those who come to the USA on legal visa's must be sure to leave by the expiration date on their visa's or they face losing their immigration rights, because when they exceed their "legal" visa's they are illegals. So why is this an issue? The ones who take the lawful process are punished and the ones who enter illegally should.... what? Have amnesty? I think NOT!
  • SoCalEx... Blown One 2010/07/24 18:55:43
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +1
    I think you misunderstood my reply. I don't advocate for Amnesty. I believe anyone here illegally should be expelled, the sooner the better.
  • Blown One SoCalEx... 2010/07/25 17:35:48
    Blown One
    OOPS. I'm sorry if I misunderstood. My apologies!
  • SoCalEx... Blown One 2010/07/25 19:00:44
    SoCalEx-Dem
    Happens!! It ok.
  • Frank 2010/07/23 16:55:59
    Frank
    +4
    If people want to live here do it legally like my grandparents did, as well as millions of others peoples grandparents did. It's as simple as that, DO IT LEGALLY.
  • kate Frank 2010/07/23 18:29:12
    kate
    Its impossible to get into this country like your grandparents did and frankly, the motivator that brought your grandparents here is the same that keeps the illegals flowing in -- the demand for cheap, ignorant, exploitable labor.
  • Royal W... kate 2010/08/21 23:52:14
    Royal Warrior
    Nope, my great-grandfather came here, because he knew that in America, he could THINK FOR HIMSELF and teach his children to do just that. He told them many times that our govt. owed them NOTHING AT ALL BUT A CHANCE! And he meant it.
    Even when racism got so bad against Germans during WW1, he continued to teach his children and grand-children that this country did more for it's citizens by simply giving them a chance and letting them work, learn and advance on their own merits than any other on earth.
    My Irish ancestors came here when the racism against the Irish was terrible. They still continued to think that this country was the BEST hope for their children to advance and become something more than they would EVER be in the 'old country'.
  • Big Mike 2010/07/23 16:41:56
    Big Mike
    +3
    The Latinos from ALRA are the legal citizens in the US that believe in being law abiding citizens like the rest of the US's legal immigrants no matter what race they are from. All of you racists that keep saying Arizona is trying to push the Mexicans out are just plain stupid , wrong and racist.
    I have grown up and lived in Arizona for 40 years and at least half to three quarters of my friends are of mexican heritage. I live with them, work side by side with them as valued co-workers, play softball with them, drink beer with them at the bars, and consider them some of my best friends.
    And when I ask them how they feel about the law, EVERY ONE of them say illegal immigration is flat wrong and needs to be stopped. They all have immigrated legally or are decendants of legal immigrants and feel everyone should do the same.

The only people that want the law stopped are either foolish politicians trying to get their names in the media, or illegals and their families that want something for nothing.

So take your racist attitudes and go to Washington and become a bigger part of the problem and not the solution. I do not see " them " as mexicans.....I see them as my friends !!
  • william 2010/07/23 16:32:07
    william
    +2
    the immigrants as a whole ,who came in through the front door, and built a life, know that a mass invasion of 20 to 40 million illegals. would devastate their country , and everything they worked for. they will sympathize, but will back slowing the tidal wave of illegals jamming their borders.
  • thnk4yrslf 2010/07/23 16:25:11
    thnk4yrslf
    +3
    I hope so. I think it is a brilliant law and it is about time someone tried to put an end to the illegal non tax payers who are helping destroy our economy.
  • kehvan 2010/07/23 16:20:54
    kehvan
    +4
    The AZ law doesn't need to 'turn a tide', because it's not in jeopardy of being struck down. This is a constitutional and wanted law in Arizona, and the illegal immigrant loving leftists can't stop it. The essentials of the lawsuit the DoJ from Obama's partisans, aren't based on the merits of the case, but based on the idea that the other side will back down out of fear they'll be called racists.
  • Pedalpusher 2010/07/23 16:19:57 (edited)
    Pedalpusher
    +3
    I think it's great they are speaking up, but I think AZ is going to win anyway, that's why I said no it won't turn the tables. I've known how the legal Latino's feel , at least the ones I know and have known for many years and I am glad to see that they are at least letting people know that it's not a Racist thing, it's simply we've lost control of our borders and we can't keep letting people come across them without registering and becoming citizens. It's more than Latino's coming to the US as Illegals and a lot of them can be terrorist and drug cartels. We are seeing increased violence from the Mexican drug Cartels and those of you that are not in CA, AZ or TX will be seeing it next if we don't stop it here!

What do you think will happen to you if you sneak across the border in the opposite direction? Mexico has some stiff laws and they enforce them, but their President comes down on us fro trying to enforce our immigration laws! Why?
  • Royal W... Pedalpu... 2010/08/21 23:55:39
    Royal Warrior
    Good for you! And I've wondered why some LSM talking-ventroquist head hasn't asked the obvious question, "If this law is racist...are the laws every Latin American nation has against illegal immigration into IT, racist?" Because such laws usually are enforced against illegals coming from other Latin American countries.
  • Cymech Dragon 2010/07/23 16:18:55
    Cymech Dragon
    +2
    A better question would've been, "Do you think the ALRA's suit will help AZ?" I think the tide is already on AZ's side against the haters, but that the ALRA will most certainly be helping.
  • KELLI2L 2010/07/23 16:16:54 (edited)
    KELLI2L
    +3
    ~ Plain and simple - it is not the right thing to do - to infiltrate another Nation because you would rather work there than in your own Nation.....and those illegals should not benefit in any way for BREAKING THE LAWS OF THE LAND.....period
  • Javimendo 2010/07/23 16:02:09 (edited)
    Javimendo
    +5
    As a fellow latino - I certainly hope so. Take no prisoners Arizona!
    +4
    It will help, there are lots of legal immigrants, now Americans, that are completely pissed of at the thought of letting a bunch of ILLEGAL alien criminals have amnesty when they did the right thing and became Americans the correct way.
    To hell with ILLEGAL immigrants, no rewards for breaking the law, send them back to where ever they came from. GO ARIZONA
  • Fox13_spydr 2010/07/23 15:28:18
    Fox13_spydr
    +2
    why is happening now? where were they when it started? but hey cant hate for joining the fight late just as long as you are ready to throw some punches... Bravo, maby this will the the first tide of new to come....
  • EllЕ 2010/07/23 15:24:01
    EllЕ
    +2
    I hope so. But, I think progressives will call them also - racists. LOL

2014/09/16 07:31:44