Can Census Workers Enter Your Home Without Permission?

No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
Yes, they can. This is another government intrusion.
I think ...
As if some Americans don't already view census workers with suspicious.

According to Bob Barr, former Georgia Congressman and Libertarian candidate for president, federal law allows census workers "to demand access to any apartment or any other type of home or room that is rented out, in order to count persons in the abode and for “the collection of statistics.” If the landlord of such apartment or other leased premises refuses to grant the government worker access to your living quarters, whether you are present or not, the landlord can be fined $500.00."

Barr also says that some workers are demanding and getting cell phone numbers from landlords in order to call tenants and obtain information from them.

It appears to be a liberal reading of the code:

Title 13, Chapter 7, Subchapter II, § 223 of the US Code. The section prevents the owner or manger of “any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building” from refusing to provide a list of the buildings occupants or providing access to “such premises”. This means a building’s owner or manger cannot refuse to let a census worker into or out of the building and cannot refuse to provide a list of occupants for the purpose of the census count. The penalty for refusal is $500. No where in the section does it authorize entry into individual apartments, lodgings, or “living quarters”.

Read More: http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010/05/26/cens...

• zbacku 2010/06/02 02:43:28
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    zbacku
    +6
    If I happen to be home and I hear someone opening my locked door, that someone will probably be leaving in a body bag.

• Raven 2010/06/04 09:15:04
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    Raven
  • Arizona1950 2010/06/03 23:46:35
    I think ...
    Arizona1950
    +1
    I must be a really small fish in a big pond. I never sent my form in, they came to my door, I stepped outside and did not invite here in. She verified my name, race, and how many in the house and then said good-bye and wished me a nice day.
  • Theodon 2010/06/03 23:25:35
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    Theodon
  • King Cenwulf 2010/06/03 23:23:19
    King Cenwulf
    Here in the UK they can. And that is all thanks.to Blair and the Labour Party. It is against the law to deny access. I would urge you Americans to vote against Democrats or Liberal. They are not democratic or liberal. The Labour/Democratic party are like the communists, we have so much surveilance here you would not believe it. They can even bust into your home to see if you have a licence to watch TV!! Wake up America, before it is to late, and for God's sake, don't belong to a "trading" pact, it will become a "political pact". Look what has become of the EU!!
  • NarcolepticGoat 2010/06/03 20:58:40
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    NarcolepticGoat
    The one that knocked on my door was just asking about the neighbors, who wouldn't open theirs. So my guess is no.
  • Raven Narcole... 2010/06/04 09:15:38
    Raven
    That sucks. What things did they want to know?
  • Narcole... Raven 2010/06/04 11:17:36
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    just how many people lived there
  • Raven Narcole... 2010/06/04 17:09:27
    Raven
    They didn't ask what race they were or how old they were? Good to know. But I guess the census can get a visual on those ... kind of.
  • Lanikai 2010/06/03 20:07:23
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    Well, not if they want to live to talk about it in our state. You try to illgally enter my home and it is breaking and entering. Period. I don't rent any rooms to anyone, I don't own an apartment and I already told them 3 is the magic number in my home.

Go away, intrusive federal jerks, none of your business if I own or rent, or how much my payment is, or whether a relative helped me get that proplerty. NOT you business.
  • Mordecai Jones 2010/06/03 18:37:10
    I think ...
    Mordecai Jones
    +2
    They can trespass if they think it is worth getting shot over.

I threw the "census" spy off my property when the Census spy started lying to me about how the Constitution requires them to collect three pages of personal data about the residents of my property.

I explained the recent change in Texas law from the "duty to retreat" crap to the "castle" law where a man's home is his castle and the right to the use of deadly force in defending his person or home from threat of harm.

If the Federal government snooping isn't a threat of harm I don't know what is.

The Census worker had apparently never seen a .45 Colt revolver round from the muzzle end of a handgun.

In Texas criminal trespass is when a person with the authority of the landowner instructs you to depart the premises and you fail to get moving for the nearest property line.
  • midwest... Mordeca... 2010/06/03 19:52:41
    midwest gal
    +2
    The current census and the neighborhood survey that is many many pages long, is far too intrusive. The original census of 1790 was for the enumeration of persons - nothing more (the only specifics were for free and slaves and male and female. One of the early purposes was for the number of seats in the House. Now it has become so intrusive and goes well beyond a count of persons. I think it is an invasion of privacy. It does not matter whether one rents, owns a home or otherwise. The census supposedly is "one of the foundations of our democratic process...to provide every person in the United States with an equal voice in Congress". A democratic process? It seems to be only a democratic thing if the democrats are in office and push things down our throats because they seem to think we are all illiterate because we haven't been to Haavod...I care to differ that because I might complete a census that my voice is heard...NOT! How they get an enumeration for house seats to pages and pages of census and correlate that to my voice being heard is a stretch. My voice is that all the questions on the census does not mean my voice is heard; it means they want every detail of my life to use in the manner they choose to use it. No matter how they soften the terms, the root is the same...t...
    The current census and the neighborhood survey that is many many pages long, is far too intrusive. The original census of 1790 was for the enumeration of persons - nothing more (the only specifics were for free and slaves and male and female. One of the early purposes was for the number of seats in the House. Now it has become so intrusive and goes well beyond a count of persons. I think it is an invasion of privacy. It does not matter whether one rents, owns a home or otherwise. The census supposedly is "one of the foundations of our democratic process...to provide every person in the United States with an equal voice in Congress". A democratic process? It seems to be only a democratic thing if the democrats are in office and push things down our throats because they seem to think we are all illiterate because we haven't been to Haavod...I care to differ that because I might complete a census that my voice is heard...NOT! How they get an enumeration for house seats to pages and pages of census and correlate that to my voice being heard is a stretch. My voice is that all the questions on the census does not mean my voice is heard; it means they want every detail of my life to use in the manner they choose to use it. No matter how they soften the terms, the root is the same...they want more and more from us and want further invasion into our private lives. If it is for my voice to be heard in Congress, then i challenge them to allow me to present myself before them in Congress to hear my voice. For census workers to take information from a child (per news reports) is absolutely wrong. If children can not vote, then information should not be solicited from them. I think this entire issue of census is entrapment: soften the terminology and promise us gold by taking our money only to be returned to us in tin....
  • Mordeca... midwest... 2010/06/03 20:23:10
    Mordecai Jones
    I agree and thus the Census Spy was encouraged to depart my premises immediately.
  • susan 2010/06/03 18:07:04
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    susan
    But it may take a court case to stop some of these intrusions. I hope anyone whose privacy and property will find a pro bono attorney to fight these illegal acts.
  • dodgerblue_42 2010/06/03 17:47:02
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    dodgerblue_42
    Bob Barr has been smoking the Libertarian weed !!!
  • susan dodgerb... 2010/06/03 18:08:35
    susan
    +2
    Not the libertarian weed! Libertarians would never support such government intrusion. Bob Barr is smoking the Democrat extreme left's pot.
  • tc 2010/06/03 17:43:38
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    tc
    +1
    well then i guess i would get fined.no warrant,no enter period.
  • ducdodger 2010/06/03 16:57:54
    I think ...
    ducdodger
    Bring it. If they want to enter my home with out permission then there a good chance that they will be bitten by both of my dogs or have a gun in their face.
  • Lanikai ducdodger 2010/06/03 20:08:46
    I told Shelby's office that I would cooperate with the census as soon as they could guarantee that ALL illegal immigrants were cooperating or paying the same fines they hope to stick the rest of us with for non compliance.
  • ducdodger Lanikai 2010/06/07 13:31:10
    ducdodger
    And i bet he'll jump right on that one.
  • BlackGold26 2010/06/03 16:35:42
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    BlackGold26
    my parents went threw census training and i know that they rnt allowed to do that. at least in florida
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2010/06/03 13:48:36
  • Londonearbaby 2010/06/03 11:35:22
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    Londonearbaby
    +2
    And when someone comes home to a stranger in there homes they shouldnt get in no trouble for a fast reaction of knockin them out loopy home stranger homes trouble fast reaction knockin
  • Cymech Dragon 2010/06/03 06:09:25
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    Cymech Dragon
    I can't believe Bob Barr would mention it as if that's actually legal, not an extremely liberal context of the code. I just hope he forgot to throw something in. :(

After all, I have explicit 4th amendment rights and there will be NO code within the U.S. nor any Patriot Act that will get in my way of such. But if those census workers want to come in to my house, then they better be prepared to meet my personally trained killer dog.

But one thing what would be interesting is to find which session of Congress passed this USC amendment and what president signed into law.
  • Duke 2010/06/03 05:16:56
    I think ...
    Duke
    +3
    they might be introduced to two residents in my home...Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
  • whitewu... Duke 2010/06/03 13:50:58
  • LisaSmith 2010/06/03 04:18:13
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    LisaSmith
    +1
    I think if that is the case then being a census worker just became the most dangerous job in America.
  • jerrbear 2010/06/03 03:52:40 (edited)
    I think ...
    jerrbear
    +4
    If they force there self into my house they will get a facefull of this, And then I'm calling the cops! I have already filled out that form, So there should be not reason why they should even be there in the first place.
  • Lanikai jerrbear 2010/06/03 20:12:32
    If they do not feel like you gave satisfactory answers, then a census worker may be sent to your home to collect further data. They did that to me last census, I refused to put more then my number of residents, then I movedm then that cow kept coming to my home, day after day after day, after day. I just kept shutting the door in her face. Til the last day, when she said if I did not cooperate, she would call the FBI and tell them I had contraband hidden in my home, call the DEA and tell them I had drugs, and tell both I had made threats. I gave her my lawyers number, and told her if she ever put so much a s a foot across my property line again, she would never forget the experience.

I reported her, I reported her threats and I filed a complaint.
  • jerrbear Lanikai 2010/06/04 03:29:52 (edited)
    jerrbear
    I always look before answering, If it's not the maitence man then I won't answer.
  • Lanikai jerrbear 2010/06/04 22:28:13
    Well, i did look and she stayed out there for a long time. She kept yelling that she was not leaving without talking to me. I had ignored her for over two years. It was a very harsh thing.
  • jerrbear Lanikai 2010/06/05 01:09:51
    jerrbear
    Keep up the good work there!
  • TrueAmerica 2010/06/03 03:24:43
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    TrueAmerica
    +4
    INVASION OF PRIVACY BIG BROTHER GOVERNMENT GESTAPO!! loopy invasion privacy brother government gestapo loopy invasion privacy brother government gestapo
  • voice_matters 2010/06/03 03:06:56
    I think ...
    voice_matters
    If the law is true then yes they have the power to enter anyone's home .
  • blueskyseas 2010/06/03 02:31:03
    No, they can't. This is a loopy idea.
    blueskyseas
    The owner has to either provide a list of the buildings occupants, provide access to “such premises”, or face a $500.00 fine.
    That's what I get from reading the paragraph titled Title 13, Chapter 7, Subchapter II, § 223 of the US Code
  • Lanikai bluesky... 2010/06/03 20:13:42
    Again, as soon as they can prove that every single illegal immigrant has participated fully and completely or paid exactly the same fines, do NOT even try it with me.
  • marcuss....PHART 2010/06/03 02:08:52
    I think ...
    marcuss....PHART
    +3
    I think they will have this in their face
  • voice_m... marcuss... 2010/06/03 03:08:36
    voice_matters
    and you will be in jail within an hour. anything stupid post to help the libs to write stuppid gun control laws But with such a stupid post i doubt you even own a gun.
  • marcuss... voice_m... 2010/06/03 03:09:56
    marcuss....PHART
    +3
    Come into my house uninvited and the laws are on MY SIDE. brush yourself up on the 2nd amendment moron.
  • voice_m... marcuss... 2010/06/03 03:23:13
    voice_matters
    Guess you are another one that has never read the constitution. Can you please find me where it says you are allowed to point a gun at anyone, or even better which constitutional amendment says you can kill someone.
  • marcuss... voice_m... 2010/06/03 03:27:14
    marcuss....PHART
    +3
    Read up on state law child. A home invasion permits deadly force. What planet have you been on for the last 12 years on this issue?

2014/12/20 01:08:39