Can Carbonite be trusted with your data?

RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/07 16:48:44
A question just occurred to me.

Given the following:

- Carbonite was a long-time sponsor of the Rush Limbaugh show

- the company pulled its advertising very quickly after the whole "Sandra Fluke" incident

- they did this without even speaking to Mr. Limbaugh first, and despite the fact that Mr. Limgaugh issued an apology

- they did not pull their advertising from the Ed Schultz show under similar circumstances

Given all this, it's clear that Carbonite made a political decision, not a business one. This is even more clear given the fact that Mr. Limbaugh has more than 15 million listeners, and Mr. Schultz has at best around 2 million.

And given all this, isn't it then a legitimate question to ask, can a company that makes decisions based on its politics be trusted with your confidential data?

Especially when it knows which customers came to it via The Rush Limbaugh Show?

What do you think?

• CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/03/07 16:53:32
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +12
    Vote with your wallet.

I tried Carbonite one time and to me it was long-winded and never did backup my data after a week of running constantly. I canceled.

I hope Mr. Limbaugh has the cajones to NEVER welcome them back as an advertiser.

Companies are going to have to realize they made one helluva an error dropping Rush like that with zero fore or afterthought. If the lefties are a minority here in the USA then companies are going to realize what a grave error it is to "turn off" the conservatives and moderates (if the latter actually exists).

• edwpetloss 2012/03/16 18:40:21
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    edwpetloss
    +1
    Carbonite HAS lost data:
    "Carbonite loses 7,500 customers' files": http://blogs.computerworld.co...
  • RJ~PWCM... edwpetloss 2012/03/16 20:56:54
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    lol!

Yeah, data, and 24 million dollars last year!
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/08 22:13:40
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Carbonite has lost all credibility and my business.
  • prosperhappily 2012/03/08 21:40:34
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    prosperhappily
    If you want to walk on them due to this incident, that's your right.
    But, from a technical point of view, they're pretty good. I've never heard of Carbonite losing their data or being hacked.
  • RJ~PWCM... prosper... 2012/03/08 22:21:34
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    Maybe so. But my concern isn't about their technology.

It's about their management's willingness to make a decision based on *ideology* rather than on the merits of the business case.
  • prosper... RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/08 22:33:42
    prosperhappily
    +1
    That's your right. If you choose to drop them for that reason, I have no problem with that.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/03/07 21:47:35
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    It's a legitimate question, but I am no longer a carbonite customer.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/03/07 21:07:22
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    Elaine Magliacane
    +1
    Did I vote NO when I should have voted Yes? I DO NOT trust them... and would NOT trust them especially now. but YES it is a legitimate question... and NO... I do not trust them... Old people are sometimes confused.
  • RJ~PWCM... Elaine ... 2012/03/07 21:44:26
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    lol, yes, you did, sorry, that's my fault, I should have worded it to be more intuitive!
  • cjet 2012/03/07 21:06:22
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    cjet
    I don't trust any of the services like these, but I don't need Limbaugh, or any personality, to tell me what to use. It's pretty dumb to put all of your trust in someone who doesn't even know or care about you to begin with. The word "Limbaugh" doesn't anything better or worse.
    I find it funny that Carbonite was with Glenn Beck as well, but now they can't be trusted because of Limbaugh? Your question is stretching it quite a bit.
  • RJ~PWCM... cjet 2012/03/07 21:46:06
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Seems you should have voted "yes" since you think it's dumb to trust them.

And the question is, can a company that makes POLITICAL decisions be trusted with your data? Obviously, I was using Limbaugh as the extant case to demonstrate that the company makes POLITICAL decisions.
  • cjet RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/08 20:04:51
    cjet
    You didn't really read my answer. In fact you added a certain context I didn't emply. "Services like these" meaning ones that offer cloud based locker services. Amazon, Google, etc. I rather keep my info on hand. Lose the signal and access to your info goes with it. Part of your question is related to Limbaugh, so if the question is more about political ties in general why link it to Limbaugh? You didn't have to do that to pose this question. Again Beck was with them too, but now they are not to be trusted because of Limbaugh? What are you really trying to get at? Do you want opinions or confirmations?
  • RJ~PWCM... cjet 2012/03/08 22:23:40
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    I see what you're saying.

The "link" to Limbaugh is to show that the decision to pull the ads was based on politics / ideology, not on the advertising's effectiveness.
  • cjet RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/08 23:04:44
    cjet
    Well most of the major companies know the political landscape better than most people give them credit for. They have studies, hire agencies etc. Carbonite may have thought the backlash was going to be too great given the fact that the election was just months away and Obama is the favorite. Lose a few now, but gain more later. Will the strategy work? Only time well tell. Nearly everything we deal with, in the system, has political implications and thought processes behind them. Got to remember, Limbaugh said what he said. Carbonite didn't leave before that. So, yes, they left because Limbaugh stepped over the political line and into something else. But to say they NOW have some agenda; I seriously doubt it. Limbaugh went to a place they didn't want to follow.
  • Freeranger 2012/03/07 20:42:05 (edited)
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    Freeranger
    +3
    Given that their CEO is in bed with MoveOn.Org? Hardly.

Though this is a bit long, and tied to the Limbaugh dust up, it's really wroth reading, as it will enlighten the reader as to who's linked to who------makes it easy to connect the dots.
    http://spectator.org/archives...
  • Studied 2012/03/07 20:14:31
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    Studied
    +2
    Why would you trust anyone with your data????????
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/03/07 20:12:06
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +2
    No they cave in so easy, why would I trust them to keep my data safe secure and available. Besides it's my money and I will not give it to a liberal..
  • bob 2012/03/07 18:47:24
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    bob
    +1
    So since Carbonite is for hate speech and far right agendas extremism. I don't believe that any extremists can be trusted with my data
  • $$*gat*$$ BL39 2012/03/07 18:19:24
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    $$*gat*$$ BL39
    +4
    sorry I hit the wrong damn answer!! I hate when I do that,, anyway, HELL NO, they can NOT be trusted in any way shape or form. Lose the brown shirts, I dropped them.. carbonite brown shirts
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    +5
    If they do so bad on market research, how can I trust them with that technical decision?
  • Wahvlvke 2012/03/07 17:53:44 (edited)
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    Wahvlvke
    +4
    They will not be sucking up to obie with my data.
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2012/03/07 17:20:09
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +5
    I would rethink my business connections with them! It's the right thing to do.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/03/07 17:20:03
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +7
    I think it's a legitimate question.
  • chicago 2012/03/07 17:03:09
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    chicago
    +2
    Side note, should we stop doing business with all these companies also?

AccuQuote Life Insurance, Allstate Insurance, AOL, Bare Escentuals, Bethesda Sedation Dentistry, Bonobos, Capital One, Carbonite, Cascades Dental, Citrix, Consolidated Credit Counseling Services, Constant Contact, Cunningham Security, Freedom Debt Relief, Girl Scouts, Goodwill Industries, Hadeed Carpet, JCPenney, Legal Zoom, Matrix Direct, Netflix, Norway Savings Bank, Philadelphia Orchestra, PolyCom, Portland Ovations, ProFlowers, Quicken Loans, Regal Assets, Reputation Rhino, RSVP Discount Beverage, Sears, Sensa, Service Magic, Sleep Train, Sleep Number, St. Vincent’s Medical Center, Tax Resolution, Thompson Creek Windows and Vitacost.

Those are the other 30 plus companies that have dropped their advertising with Rush.
  • RJ~PWCM... chicago 2012/03/07 17:08:24
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Irrelevant.

Why do liberals insist on coming into a clearly-worded poll and instead of answering the question, throwing up a bunch of irrelevant blah-blah that is totally besides the point?
  • chicago RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/07 17:09:02
    chicago
    +1
    Lol, I have no idea!! It's certainly a conundrum!
  • chicago RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/07 17:16:46
    chicago
    +2
    Good news though, some business's are clamoring to get on board with Rush!!!

SeekingArrangement.com, a company that bills itself “the world’s largest sugar daddy and sugar baby dating website,” announced its decision to start advertising on Limbaugh’s show late Tuesday.

Atta boy Rush!! Love those family values you're promoting!!
  • RJ~PWCM... chicago 2012/03/07 17:23:44
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    But you libs claim to be for free speech. If he kept them off, you'd accuse him of censorship.

Try not to be so laughably transparent.
  • chicago RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/07 17:29:49
    chicago
    +1
    I'm trying, but it's hard!! My pathos is being usurped by my id!
  • RJ~PWCM... chicago 2012/03/07 17:40:01
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Damn, you made me laugh! Now I can't be justifiably indignant any more!
  • chicago RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/07 17:43:47
    chicago
    +1
    Lol, and your response made me laugh also! Cheers to you good sir! :-D
  • $$*gat*... chicago 2012/03/07 18:22:57 (edited)
    $$*gat*$$ BL39
    +1
    nothing wrong with that, you scared of sex and relationships?
  • chicago $$*gat*... 2012/03/07 20:54:18
    chicago
    Sex? No, relationships? Hell yes!
  • $$*gat*... chicago 2012/03/07 18:20:59
    $$*gat*$$ BL39
    +1
    Yea, we should boycott all these companies,, they are brownshirts against freedom of speech,,
  • chicago $$*gat*... 2012/03/07 20:57:11
    chicago
    I'll boycott all the ones that I don't use! I am so NEVER going to see the Philadelphia Orchestra! lol
  • bob chicago 2012/03/07 18:49:49
    bob
    +1
    Thanks for the info. so maybe we should concider not doing business with companies supporting hate groups and speech
  • chicago bob 2012/03/07 20:55:05
    chicago
    I'm in! I did by some Carbonite stock today, so I'm doing my part!
  • Allbiz - PWCM - JLA 2012/03/07 17:00:01
    No, it's not a legitimate question
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +4
    The only reason I said NO is because I really don't know a lot about CARB/ But as an investor I do know they cancelled their advertising late Friday afternoon causing the stock to drop both Monday and Tuesday. Over the 2 day period it dropped by more than 20%. A greater drop than the entire NASDAQ.

It's coming back up today and it is at a very favorable price to buy. It's currently $8.35. Analysts project $16 in a year. Double your money, folks.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/03/07 16:58:17
    Yes, it's a legitimate question
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +6
    The question is LEGIT the answer is NO!! Carbonite can NOT be trusted as they seem to have an interplay with obama looks like the CEO of Carbonite is an obama Bootlicker
  • CUDDLY ... Ballade... 2012/03/07 17:07:03
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4
    I see where your OH boy Kucinich is on the ropes. Is he your Rep?

2014/04/17 07:15:02