Can a black person be a redneck?

He killed his own name 2008/08/30 00:36:15
My friend Chris Reid is a black guy and a self-defined redneck. All of my other black friends say that it is impossible for a black to be a redneck simply because he isn't white. Chris rides horses, goes to rodeos, listens to country music and other redneck associated activities. So, is it possible for a black person to be a redneck?

• Bunny 2008/08/30 00:39:00
    Of course that's possible
    Bunny
    +2
    Of course, being a redneck has nothing to do with the color of our skin.

• redneck woman 2008/11/09 04:30:39
    Of course that's possible
    redneck woman
    Being a redneck has nothing to do with skin color. It's more of a way of life than anything, kind of like a city slicker.
  • fisher 2008/09/01 22:49:33
    No, not at all
    fisher
    the gravatational pull of jupiter prevents it
  • Chocolat-In the universe I ... 2008/09/01 08:41:16
    No, not at all
    Chocolat-In the universe I trust.
    The redneck stereotype:
    The term redneck is seen by some people to be both racist and classist, as it is was originally used to describe a person of pale skin that has been sunburned doing outdoor work or field work, and disproportionately applies to the poor. Today, a redneck is a stereotypical southern United States socially conservative, fiscally liberal, rural, working class white person with northern European ancestry. Redneck refers to a stereotype of usually rural, Caucasian (i.e. white) people of lower socio-economic status in the United States and Canada. Originally limited to the Appalachians, and later the South, the Ozarks, the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains, this stereotype is now widespread throughout North America.
  • He kill... Chocola... 2008/09/01 22:44:30
    He killed his own name
    +1
    So why does my friend Chris brag about being one?
  • Chocola... He kill... 2008/09/01 22:48:27
    Chocolat-In the universe I trust.
    He may want to fit in with his white friends. Sometime people with say things to feel they belong to a group. Whites do it with their black friends and apparently their are some blacks that do it also. I find it insulting because I don't want my friends feeling they must be like me to be accepted by me.

You can try it and see. Tell him he does not have to say he is a redneck to fit in and be your friend. You accept him just as he is. You both have shared interest and you appreciate him just as he is. See if he will stop calling himself a redneck. Call it an experiment.
  • He kill... Chocola... 2008/09/02 04:14:50
    He killed his own name
    +1
    I am not in any way, shape or form a redneck. We are in the Army, and ever since I have known him he has been a self-proclaimed redneck. He ropes cattle and goes to rodeos. The term "redneck" started just as you noted earlier, but terminology evolves. Now, in modern times, it is a reference to a certain lifestyle and behavior pattern. Chris is a redneck. I don't know why that seems insulting to anyone. I could never be one because my proclivities won't allow it. Chris is a good guy, and he does not change who he is for anyone. In fact, I have told him several times to chill the fuck out with the hee-haw shit. I think if you met the person I am referring to you would change your mind.
  • Chocola... He kill... 2008/09/02 09:04:40
    Chocolat-In the universe I trust.
    +1
    I am not calling you a redneck. Roping Cattle and going to rodeos would be more like a cowboy than a redneck. All terminology do not evolve. I don't think meeting him will change my mind. Racial terms do not evolve to become anything other than racial slurs. Racial slurs are insult to racial groups, not behavior.
  • He kill... Chocola... 2008/09/02 22:51:55
    He killed his own name
    I don't think Chris sees it as a racial slur, but more of a celebration of his chosen lifestyle. I don't think that the term "redneck" really has a lot of racial conontation to it anymore; unless it is used to inaccurately describe a white person. I guess we can agree to disagree on this matter. Thank you for you input and prompt responses.
  • Chocola... He kill... 2008/09/02 23:58:34
    Chocolat-In the universe I trust.
    +1
    Personally, I don't believe many whites have ever saw it as a racial slur. Only when they want to accuse blacks and other minorities of being racist, and then it is coming from a racist. It has been interesting.
  • Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3 2008/08/30 01:29:18
    Of course that's possible
    Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3
    +1
    Color has nothing to do with it; redneck is an attitude.
  • He kill... Suicide... 2008/08/30 01:30:51
    He killed his own name
    +1
    Bingo! I don't know why some people don't see it that way.
  • Suicide... He kill... 2008/08/30 01:34:11
    Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3
    +1
    Stereotypes probably.
  • devane ... Suicide... 2013/02/17 23:53:50
    devane chevy boy stevenson
    +2
    think you because i am black but i act like a straight redneck listen to country music i own i lot of land own a gun and i like to mud in chevy 4x4 with lift kits.
  • RubyTuesday 2008/08/30 00:45:30
  • He kill... RubyTue... 2008/08/30 00:50:23
    He killed his own name
    +1
    I couldn't agree more.
  • spankable 2008/08/30 00:43:19
    Of course that's possible
    spankable
    i think.....
  • spanky♥ 2008/08/30 00:43:17
    Well....
    spanky♥
    they could act like one
  • Flowerbomb 2008/08/30 00:40:51
    Of course that's possible
    Flowerbomb
  • Bunny 2008/08/30 00:39:00
    Of course that's possible
    Bunny
    +2
  • He kill... Bunny 2008/08/30 00:49:21
    He killed his own name
    That is what I said, but none of my black friends agreed. Chris and I went out with them and they told him that he was wrong about being a redneck; simply because he was black.
  • He killed his own name 2008/08/30 00:38:28
    Of course that's possible
    He killed his own name
    +2
    If you do redneck things, and call yourself a redneck, then to quote Jeff Foxworthy, "you might be a redneck."
  • William He kill... 2013/06/30 00:13:41
    William
    +2
    One thang i hate is some one trying to tell me im not a redneck because I'm black

2014/12/17 19:58:36