California’s GOP Is Near Collapse

Samantha 2012/07/23 15:14:20
Hoffenblum's assessment of the California GOP could be applied to the GOP nationwide. It's a party of extremists.

According to a report in the New York Times, California’s Republican Party is on its way to becoming a minor party. Only 30% of the State’s electorate is Republican, compared to 43% who are Democrats and 21% who are independents. A consultant to the GOP, Allan Hoffenblum, pointed out that the 30% figure means Republicans can’t win a statewide election. “You just can’t get enough crossover voters. They have alienated large swaths of voters. They have become too doctrinaire on the social issues. It’s become a cult.? Wow! And this is a guy who works for the party!

In spite of the fact that the state is embroiled in economic turmoil while all three branches of its government are controlled by Democrats, not a single Republican holds statewide office. The prognosis for change isn’t good, either. Another Republican consultant, Steve Schmidt, said, “The institution of the California Republican Party, I would argue, has effectively collapsed. It doesn’t do any of the things that a political party should do. It doesn’t register voters. It doesn’t recruit candidates. It doesn’t raise money. The Republican Party in the state institutionally has become a small ideological club that is basically in the business of hunting out heretics…When you look at the population growth, the actual party is shrinking. It’s becoming more white. It’s becoming older.”

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/23/california...

• steve tanton 2012/07/26 18:20:15
    steve tanton
    Wonder where this author has her head? Use of the word "extremist" is highly subjective. I for example think Democrats are the "extremists". The reason that Republicans are in a minority in California is varied... For one, it is the land of sun, the land of fruits and nuts, the land of immigration and of the "what's in it for me" crowd - all liberals scenarios. Wonder why though, businesses continue to leave California in record numbers, why the valley is red, why the state is broke? Duhhh....

Now, “It’s such a fine line between stupid, and clever.” (David St. Hubbins) Wonder if being broke is clever or stupid? Can Samantha or Hoffenblum figure this one out? So who's the real extremist? "We have found the enemy and he is us." (Pogo) The average libbie in Califas should be asking himself that question. (And for those of you who are "PC" or from Rio Linda, in classic English, the use of the masculine covers all.) Suggestion: Grow up, join the Republican Party, but hopefully as a Reagan-Conservative, Tea Party sorta guy, not a RINO like so many in the past 100 years who accomplished nothing but submitting to Democrats who have ruined this once great land. (Psst: I'm a legacy of an FDR New Deal Democrat who like Reagan, had the good sense to change.) Will you?
  • PetrifiedElephantPoop 2012/07/23 18:05:10
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +1
    When I lived in SF...they had Democrats and Greens....very few republicans could win.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/07/23 15:15:23
    HarleyCharley
    +1
    because of all the illegals...
  • Samantha HarleyC... 2012/07/23 15:29:46
    Samantha
    Oh please, illegal immigrants can't vote. The GOP is failing in California because of its extremist positions.
  • steve t... Samantha 2012/07/26 18:29:39
    steve tanton
    Apparently the old adage, "you can't fix stupid" is true. For one thing, many illegal aliens do vote, and many have become citizens and usually vote demo, 'cause the easy money is nice. And for another, "extremist" is subjective. I am a conservative, a Republican and I do not consider any of my opinions to be "extremist". On the other hand, I consider most Democrat positions to be "extremist". But this is a no-brainer if one has a dictionary and basic understanding of words, for one who differs dramatically from one's own opinion would be "extreme" by pure definition. Do you have any idea why Califas is broke? So truly, who's the extremist?

2014/08/27 19:18:26