California Asks Judges Sexual Preference: Fair?

Fef 2012/02/28 02:34:18
California didn't just go crazy... it has gone crazy decades ago and continues to push the boundaries with its radical agenda. The Weekly Standard reports a new twist in gathering personal information about the private lives of judges sex lives:In order to make sure gays and lesbians are adequately represented on the judicial bench, the state of California is requiring all judges and justices to reveal their sexual orientation. The announcement was made in an internal memo sent to all California judges and justices.

“[The Administrative Office of the Courts] is contacting all judges and justices to gather data on race/ethnicity, gender identification, and sexual orientation,” reads an email sent by Romunda Price of the Administrative Office of the Courts.
“For the past five years, the AOC has been required to collect and release aggregate demographic data relative to the ethnicity, race, and gender of justices and judges, by specific jurisdiction, on or before March 1 of each year. This requirement is associated with efforts to obtain new judgeships.”

Philip R. Carrizosa of the executive office of communications at the Judicial Council of California, the Administrative Office of the Courts confirmed the memo's accuracy and explained: “The original bill, which simply provided for 50 new judgeships, was amended in the Assembly in August 2006, to address concerns that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was not appointing enough women and minorities to the bench. In 2011, Senator Ellen Corbett expanded the reporting requirement to include gender identification and sexual orientation.”

I wonder how this will unfold as same-sex marriage issues come before judges. Radicals will undoubtedly want to release this data and use it to attack heterosexual judges who rule against them in same-sex marriage cases.

Read More: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/california-ask...

• iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/03/08 09:18:38
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    It seems as fair to ask as their race, gender, age, etc. - I think we should consider all such information about a person as neutral.

That the information might be used against heterosexual judges handing down unfavorable rulings in marriage cases seems rather paranoid...especially considering that in the major case where a gay judge ruled favorably, the accusation was that it was due to his sexuality affecting his impartiality as he had something to gain from the outcome.

Considering further that most people are straight, and most straight people where their heterosexuality on their sleeves (wedding rings, families, etc.)...I don't see how this information will expose straight judges to new radical ridicule.
  • Quazimoto 2012/03/07 17:01:05
    Radical Agenda
    Quazimoto
    Promoted from TSA to Judge. Only in America.......

Judge
  • Tennessee3501 2012/03/04 02:50:24
    Radical Agenda
    Tennessee3501
    The best candidates should be selected whether they be gay or straight! When the late great Senator Barry Goldwater was asked if he cared if a soldier was gay or straight, he replied: "As long as he can shoot straight, what difference would it make?"
  • Michael 2012/03/02 19:33:17
    Radical Agenda
    Michael
    Next will be religion, and we can then do away with all reason!
  • ChynaP 2012/02/29 18:39:24
    Radical Agenda
    ChynaP
    so what if someone has a different sex life, they are still human and need to be treated as such
  • BILL 2012/02/29 07:34:39
    Radical Agenda
    BILL
    It's California the Poster Child of Really Stupid Crap, what do you expect
  • Riobhca 2012/02/29 04:55:12
    Radical Agenda
    Riobhca
    No one has any business asking the this.
  • 4dc 2012/02/28 23:25:13
    Radical Agenda
    4dc
    +1
    PC has gotten OUT OF CONTROL!!!
  • Philip Carrizosa 2012/02/28 23:18:38
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    Philip Carrizosa
    +1
    The problem with this blog posting, and the original story in The Weekly Standard, is that judges are NOT required to answer the question. While the Administrative Office of the Courts is statutorily required to ask the question, judges are free not to answer it, just as they are free to ignore questions about their ethnicity. If the writer had checked the facts with me as spokesperson for the AOC, he would have learned the truth.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/02/28 23:13:08
    Radical Agenda
    MOMMA THOMAS
    NOT PROPER....
  • donald 2012/02/28 23:06:57
    Radical Agenda
    donald
    +1
    It isn't california that's gone crazy its the judges.When the people vote for sanity the 9th district court over turns it.
  • mike 2012/02/28 21:31:49
    Radical Agenda
    mike
    californians, for some reason elect more retards then we do in jersey. If it wasn't for having a good Gov. for the first time in a long time, New Jersey would have joined the homo states of America. Thanks to the democrat retards who don't believe we citizens should have a say in such a drastic social change.
    Californians are getting what they deserve, and their gonna keep getting it untill the get really sick of retards running their state, and we here in Jersey aren't far behind.
    I'm sure some douche bag democrat is allready figureing a way they can ask our judges if their homo's, why? Because thats who they are, and, their retards!
  • culpepper 2012/02/28 21:22:36
  • John Storz 2012/02/28 18:41:04
    Radical Agenda
    John Storz
    Entirely too much is made of sexual preference in our society nowadays, on both sides of the fence
  • WGN 2012/02/28 18:22:43
    Radical Agenda
    WGN
    +1
    I do believe that this violates the Constitution. It is just stupidity.
  • Seiryuu 2012/02/28 18:20:28
    Radical Agenda
    Seiryuu
    +1
    The role of a good judge is to rule according to law and precedents. A judge is supposed to be neutral and should focus on the evidence at hand. True, there's some inherent bias, but jurisprudence should trump that. If it's obvious that the case will be slanted in the judge's eyes due to some personal bias, then that judge should recuse themselves.
  • voice_matters 2012/02/28 17:53:13
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    voice_matters
    seing we know that libs can not keep their social views out of the court room why would you want a gay overhearing your case if chraged with a hate crime against a gay couple.
  • Charles E 2012/02/28 17:51:19
    Radical Agenda
    Charles E
    +1
    A good judge will rule on the law, regardless of group identity s/he might have.

This will be used by unsuccessful litigants and criminal defendants to claim prejudice and demand a retrial, no matter how fair the original decision may have been.
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2012/02/28 17:34:44
    Radical Agenda
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +2
    No one's business....
  • Barfly 2012/02/28 16:30:34
    Radical Agenda
    Barfly
    +1
    California is run by kooks, Jerry Brown, Head Kook, The new state attorney general one step behind Brown! California is the least employer friendly state in the US
  • Racefish 2012/02/28 15:54:55
    Radical Agenda
    Racefish
    +2
    If I got one of those questionnaires, I'd tell them to pound sand.
  • bob h. 2012/02/28 15:34:52
    Radical Agenda
    bob h.
    Maybe Santorum will go out there.
  • Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of ... 2012/02/28 14:56:44
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of Phaet
    I don't see the problem with collecting data for the purpose of gays and lesbians being fairly represented in the courts.

"Radicals will undoubtedly want to release this data and use it to attack heterosexual judges who rule against them in same-sex marriage cases."

While that is a concern of your's, this isn't fact.
  • Charles E Ferηαηd... 2012/02/28 17:58:16
    Charles E
    +1
    If no one is asked, the chance of any judge being homosexual or any other group should average out to the same percentage they represent in the general population.
  • iamthem... Charles E 2012/03/08 09:22:02
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    I don't know if that's accurate - if your argument worked, then we should see, generally, a 50% female membership on the bench.
  • Charles E iamthem... 2012/03/08 14:09:45
    Charles E
    +1
    The relative shortage of female judges is more a reflection of self selection in that fewer females than males become practicing lawyers or having become lawyers, seek to become judges. This inbalance has been reducing for the past several decades but may never totally disapear.

Gender, like hair color, is unimportant to most litigants as compared to a judge being vocally pro abortion, anti gun, or supporting or practicing an alternate lifestyle.

And I did say "should".
  • iamthem... Charles E 2012/03/08 15:53:02
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    I know you said should...but the fact that it hasn't undermines your argument that we shouldn't investigate we should just let it be.

As to the importance to litigants, I think the point is to try to ensure that the population generally interpreting laws represents the diversity of the overall population.
  • Bastion 2012/02/28 14:20:26
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    Bastion
    +1
    Hmmmm . . . keeping women and minorities OFF the bench is obvious and discriminatory; wouldn't keeping judges off the bench because of sexual orientation also be wrong? And how would you tell?

Yes, this somehow seems wrong; but discrimination against gays is wrong, as well, and can definitely lead to unjust judicial decisions - after all, all-white judges and juries have indeed sent blacks to jail for the same crimes whites have been slapped on the wrist for.

Is there another way to address these problems?
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/02/28 14:09:26
    Radical Agenda
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +1
    Crazies is the first thing that comes to my mind.
  • dave b 2012/02/28 13:51:51
    Radical Agenda
    dave b
    +2
    I also believe it is illegal for an employer to ask about ones sexual preference.
    This is the road that is destroying the basic fabric of our country. The Progressives have gotten very little pushback and are emboldened. Watch and see.
  • Seonag 2012/02/28 13:37:59
    Radical Agenda
    Seonag
    +1
    Though it doesn't surprise me!
  • bettyboop 2012/02/28 13:25:08
    Radical Agenda
    bettyboop
    The judges should just do what the politicians do to get elected and that is LIE! Tell them your homosexual and your mixed race, who the hell is gonna tell you your not.
  • Rave 2012/02/28 11:24:41
    Radical Agenda
    Rave
    +2
    I don't think it's a "Radical Agenda" as such, I just do not see the point. It is rather stupid, no matter what job I'm in, I want to be able to choose what information I give out and what I keep private. Also one's sexual orientation does not have a thing to do with rather they would be a good judge or not.
  • tff~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/28 11:20:40
    Radical Agenda
    tff~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    It is not California's business-nor yours,or mine.This is the commi-liberal agenda trying to legislate from the bench!
  • 2sly 2012/02/28 09:19:48
    Radical Agenda
    2sly
    +1
    Thier a bunch of sick nosy ass people. Glad I don't live in Cali.
  • bluejacket 2sly 2012/02/28 12:10:13
    bluejacket
    +2
    Glad I escaped. (moved)
  • dave b bluejacket 2012/02/28 13:53:16
    dave b
    +2
    I'm looking to get out soon, too. I cant take it anymore.
  • hari 2012/02/28 07:36:29
    Radical Agenda
    hari
    avoid
  • redhorse29 2012/02/28 07:31:04
    Radical Agenda
    redhorse29
    Balance in California is a cover-word for some radical movement attempt to force yet another undesirable behavior on the masses.
  • Roger47 2012/02/28 07:15:14
    Needed to Promote Social Justice
    Roger47
    +1
    No big deal. All the attorneys who practice regularly in the courts already know which judges are gay and which are not. Even if the judges are "still in the closet."

2014/07/22 15:02:59