Burning The American Flag: Freedom Of Speech or Highly Offensive?

Trish 2013/06/18 22:02:02
Freedom of Speech
Highly Offensive

• JohnGuy 2013/06/22 21:33:43
    Highly Offensive
    JohnGuy
    The two answers aren't mutually exclusive.
  • haterade 2013/06/22 17:58:01
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/06/21 01:18:23
    Highly Offensive
    Lerro DeHazel
    It's okay . . . But just Don't Do It Here In The United States!!!! The Innocent do not deserve to be hurt . . . And anyway, the U S Flag belongs to us . . . NOT the Federal Government.
  • elijahin24 2013/06/20 18:19:36
    Freedom of Speech
    elijahin24
    The answer to this question is "yes."
    It is both. But it is specifically BECAUSE it is offensive, that it NEEDS to be protected. There was a time when it was offensive to say that the earth was not the center of the universe. There was a time when it was offensive to say that black people and white people are equal; or women and men, for that matter.
    Now, this isn't the same thing, I know; but when we silence ANY voice which expresses a view we don't like; we take away the protection from those who NEED that protection, and whose voices we DO need to hear.
    Freedom of speech is not proven when we stand up for the guy who says "God bless America". It's proven when we also protect the guy who says the thing that makes our blood boil. And if we fail to stand up for THAT guy, we can't claim to have that freedom.
  • captainquiggle 2013/06/20 14:41:57
    Freedom of Speech
    captainquiggle
    It's freedom of speech as are other things that are personally offensive.
  • Kory 2013/06/20 12:51:33
    Highly Offensive
    Kory
    No one should burn any other countries flags or religious book or items of memorial (the poppy) etc. although it can still be classed as freedom of speech, it is not the American flag that people should have hatred towards. It should be the logo of the US governments and indeed every governing body in the world. Some may say I have an agenda towards the governments, and I have my reasons for doing so. Once your eyes have opened you realise that it is them putting differences between us (religion, race, gender etc).
    It is them giving us the weapons to fight each other and indeed the reason for doing to. It is all fabricated hate. We are all brothers and sister, why do you avoid it. This world has been given to us, let alone a piece of land. Why do we use it and abuse it in such cruel ways. It's time to start helping your brethren's in need. They are waiting for you, crying for your help. Children starving, a mother feeding her children instead of herself. One day I believe I will get my chance to fight, and stand up finally...that day I will truly be free. All I can say is get ready because flag burning will be the least of your worries.
  • scbluesman13 2013/06/19 21:11:34
    Freedom of Speech
    scbluesman13
    +1
    It's both.
  • John 2013/06/19 20:10:14 (edited)
  • JimTheGeek 2013/06/19 17:40:10
    Freedom of Speech
    JimTheGeek
    +1
    The Supreme Court has ruled this to be constitutionally protected free speech. However, that doesn't mean it not highly offensive as well. Any american seeing someone who burns the flag for speech purposes should treat that person as a pariah. The rapper who trampled on it...the audience should have walked out of the concert immediately. And never buy any of his music. And tell all their friends to do the same. Sure you can burn/trample the Flag, but be prepared to face the consequences.
  • Ron in Oregon 2013/06/19 17:21:04
    Highly Offensive
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    The only time to burn the U.S. flag is when it is tatered and torn and should be done with great respect.
  • elijahin24 Ron in ... 2013/06/20 18:41:20
    elijahin24
    I agree with you. However, while I believe the act itself is DEAD wrong; I also believe that it is protected under the First Amendment.
  • Ron in ... elijahin24 2013/06/20 19:13:24
    Ron in Oregon
    I wonder what would happen to us if we burned an Iranian flag in Iran.
  • elijahin24 Ron in ... 2013/06/20 19:24:56
    elijahin24
    Do you think we should be like Iran, or do you think we should be better than they are?
  • Ron in ... elijahin24 2013/06/21 18:31:14
    Ron in Oregon
    I think you should read my answer and not answer by asking another question.
  • elijahin24 Ron in ... 2013/06/21 18:42:32
    elijahin24
    I read your answer. It sounds as if you're saying we should be more like Iran.
  • Ron in ... elijahin24 2013/06/21 18:48:45
    Ron in Oregon
    No, I asked if we burned an Iranian flag in Iran would we be vilified as I expect.
  • elijahin24 Ron in ... 2013/06/21 19:10:12
    elijahin24
    The question is, is burning the flag a free speech issue? I say that it is. I think it's offensive, but I also think it is a protected right. What Iran does when it comes to liberties should have no bearing on what WE do at all. They are notorious for being oppressive. We are supposed to be better than that.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2013/06/19 16:52:32 (edited)
    Highly Offensive
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    In this country it's usually done to get a reaction or attention, not because of anti-Americanism.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2013/06/19 16:21:41
    Freedom of Speech
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    Both... but it is protected under Freedom of Speech. Just because it is protected doesn't mean it isn't offensive, or that we have to like it. Much in the way of the WBC. Disgusting group, but within their rights as Americans.

I find it interesting that so many people who spout off about Freedom Of Speech have no qualms about denying others those same freedoms.
  • Seiryuu 2013/06/19 15:54:52
    Freedom of Speech
    Seiryuu
    +2
    I picked "Freedom of Speech" because:

1. It can be both, really.
    2. You don't know how to use the Pedobear meme.
  • Trish Seiryuu 2013/06/19 15:59:19
    Trish
    +1
    Actually I do know how to use pedobear.
    It happened to be the only picture that had I am highly offended and I didnt feel like searching.
  • Seiryuu Trish 2013/06/20 23:49:09
    Seiryuu
    -__-
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2013/06/19 14:58:50
    Highly Offensive
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +2
    If you don't like it here, LEAVE!
  • elijahin24 Just ME... 2013/06/20 18:42:11
    elijahin24
    While I think it is awful to burn the flag, it is FAR less American to deny people the freedom of speech.
  • ProudVet 2013/06/19 14:41:01
    Highly Offensive
    ProudVet
    +2
    Anyone can call it anything they want to, to me it will always be offensive and good reason to open a can of whoop-a$$. I'm old and a little slower, but more determined.
  • QUIS EVADET 2013/06/19 14:29:58 (edited)
    Freedom of Speech
    QUIS EVADET
    +1
    First of all, (Any boy scout could tell you this), when an American flag that has flown for a long time, becomes old and tattered, it is proper decorum to retire the flag by burning it.
    You don't just throw it in the trash -that would be irreverent.
    Second, the flag is an idea.
    One could burn every flag in the world that is red white and blue... the idea of the flag remains. All you'd have to do is print out or sew a new one.
    It's really no big deal.
    When people get upset at other people burning a flag in protest -the protesters are wanting to provoke exactly that reaction -you allow the protesters to control you. Way to go.

If someone were burning a bible, defacing it, desecrating it. Who cares?! There's thousands of bibles in hotel rooms everywhere, in churches everywhere. Even if it was the last one on Earth... just print a new one. No big deal. Same with the flag. It's just dyed cotton or nylon -Made In China-
    US flag made in china
  • ProudVet QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 14:48:04
    ProudVet
    +1
    Tell all that to the Muslims as you deface the Quran. To me it's the idea of the flag they are dishonoring. I spent seven years defending the flag and the idea behind it, so if you do it in front of me expect a reaction that may not please you. And I will be in total control. Their actions may cause my reaction, but it won't be controlling me.
  • QUIS EV... ProudVet 2013/06/19 14:56:23 (edited)
    QUIS EVADET
    So you're allowing them to win, because they want exactly that kind of reaction from you.
    Way to go.
    And remember, you're defending dyed cotton or polyester, made in china.
    US Flag made in china
  • ProudVet QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 15:09:49
    ProudVet
    +2
    I'm defending an ideal and a country and way of life that I love. They are winners in nothing except Idiots of the Year.
  • QUIS EV... ProudVet 2013/06/19 15:14:46 (edited)
    QUIS EVADET
    You're defending dyed cotton and polyester made in china. US flag made in china
  • ProudVet QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 15:18:00
    ProudVet
    And your an idiot if that's the best you can come up with over and over. By the way, don't ever expect me to have your back, you're on your own dipstick.
  • QUIS EV... ProudVet 2013/06/19 15:31:52
    QUIS EVADET
    +1
    Well, I won't be panicking and running into a mob of protesters like you to save the empty "honor" of a $3.00 bit of dyed Chinese polyester/cotton cloth, that one can pick up at the local Wal*Mart (China*Mart). So, I won't need you to have my back "dipstick".

I also, won't have your back if you're going to try to hurt these vets for burning the US Flag.
    proper disposal of a us flag

proper disposal of a us flag
  • ProudVet QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 23:55:57
    ProudVet
    +1
    You are like a broken record, repeating the same thing over and over, get a life sunshine. If you can't tell the difference between a protestor desecrating a flag and a group of Vets properly disposing of worn flags you are too stupid to converse with. I trust you will understand, perhaps not, with your two digit I.Q., when I quote a great American and no longer respond to your idiocy. "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • QUIS EV... ProudVet 2013/06/20 01:44:46
    QUIS EVADET
    I love Mark Twain! He has some great quotes.
    I can tell the difference between what vets are doing and what protesters do -I started this conversation off with the proper retirement of the US flag, remember? If you don't, scroll up and re-read-
    LOL, My I.Q. is just fine and I am highly confident in intellectual circles. :)
    A quote by Mark Twain that I like is: “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.” Which I take that, he as well as you and I, would ALWAYS defend this country loyally... and his quote indicates that has enough sense to know the difference between defending the country and a piece of Chinese cloth.
  • Aqua Su... QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 16:55:26 (edited)
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +2
    Man, you're shallow. Take a lesson in character building.
  • QUIS EV... Aqua Su... 2013/06/19 17:01:57
    QUIS EVADET
    Take a look in the mirror...
     mirror
  • JimTheGeek QUIS EV... 2013/06/19 17:43:05
    JimTheGeek
    +1
    Your "comments": the result of allowing children on SH.
  • QUIS EV... JimTheGeek 2013/06/19 19:09:25
    QUIS EVADET
    Likewise.

Cheers.
  • Aqua Su... QUIS EV... 2013/06/20 15:41:49
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    Said the lame 2nd grader.
  • QUIS EV... Aqua Su... 2013/06/20 15:59:38
    QUIS EVADET
    bounced off me stuck to you.

2014/12/20 12:31:16