'Bully' Documentary Currently Rated R: Should It Be Changed to PG-13?

Film 2012/03/12 01:02:59
A new documentary about bullying, appropriated titled “Bully,” is currently rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). However, the people behind the film, as well as thousands of others around the country, are calling for the rating to be changed to PG-13 in order to make it more accessible to young people.

The MPAA decided to give “Bully” the R mark primarily because of a scene where a bully describes what he will do to a victim using variations of the F-word. Use of the F-word more than once, or only once when used to describe sexual intercourse, almost always results in an automatic R rating.

Last month, The Weinstein Company, which created the film, petitioned to have the rating changed to PG-13. TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein and Alex Libby, one of the bullied children in the film, argued that the R rating would prevent the film from reaching young audiences. In particular, the R rating prevents the documentary from being shown in schools. (The studio was planning on screening the film at various middle and high schools.) Additionally, many teens prefer to go to the movies with their friends instead of their parents, but you must be at least 17 years old to see an R-rated film without a parent or guardian.

The Weinstein Company lost their appeal. They were one vote short of the two-thirds required to overturn an MPAA rating. However, a ratings change doesn’t seem to be completely off the table. On Thursday, MPAA and Weinstein will be hosting an invitation only screening and panel event for Washington D.C. educators, to discuss “the challenges educators face in dealing with bullying in the classroom.” However, it seems likely that the rating itself will also be a topic of discussion.

What do you think SodaHeads? “Bully” is currently rated R, but should it be changed to PG-13?

Read More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2012/03/bul...

• Just Jenn for Now 2012/03/12 02:00:25 (edited)
    Just Jenn for Now
    +31
    ... at first I was going to say "Yes" because I thought it would be over a graphically violent scene.

But over some "F" bombs? Sorry, but no.

Face it, everyone: Children have heard the "F" word and figured out what it means by age 13.

This isn't the 60s anymore where kids watch their mouths and are raised by picture-perfect parents. This is documentary, and thus must stick to reality, and bullies DO use these words.

And this IS something that is APPROPRIATE for kids age 13 and up to watch as a glimpse of reality, and unfortunately a film some kids may be able to relate to; AND LEARN FROM.

Still don't agree? How about this: "The Dark Knight" got a PG-13 rating, and even though it was clean language-wise, it had TONS of violence and even death in it. If THAT can get a PG-13 rating, so can this movie.

It's time to stop bubble-wrapping our kids anyway.

bubble wrapping kids

• IndigoReb DebraJM... 2012/03/12 01:51:55
    IndigoReb
    +3
    You're either kidding, or you live on another planet.
  • Jo IndigoReb 2012/03/12 03:09:50
    Jo
    +2
    I've never seen or heard of homosexuals bullying straight kids.
  • DebraJM... IndigoReb 2012/03/12 04:20:32
    DebraJMSmith
    +1
    Are you serious?
  • IndigoReb DebraJM... 2012/03/20 19:21:48
    IndigoReb
    What you would characterize as "bullying by homosexuals" (I notice you don't even acknowledge the third basic orientation here), I would characterize as self-defense reactions to homophobic attitudes and harassment. You can't always play nice when so many people are just itching for the opportunity to kick you in the nuts. And what you perceive to be "fair and balanced," I perceive to be rather biased, so, yeah, I'm serious.
  • DebraJM... IndigoReb 2012/03/20 20:24:10
    DebraJMSmith
    Often it is the homosexuals who are the harassers, itching for the opportunity to fight with someone who disagrees with them. I find all the time on these blogs, that homosexuals are the aggressive people, very mean, very hateful.

And we all have a right to have our own attitude about something, without being attacked for such.

As for "fair and balanced," I don't know what you are getting at. I don't believe that I said anything about "fair and balanced." But it does appear that it is you and people like you, who are the biased people.
  • IndigoReb DebraJM... 2012/03/21 01:23:50
    IndigoReb
    Yes, I am serious...I don't think that you could be any more wrong about this. I suspect that much of what you call "bullying" by "homosexuals" (I notice that you don't mention another certain orientation) is really just a self-defense reaction. One can't play nice all the time when dealing with people who are itching for the chance to kick him in the nuts, you know? And, moreover, since the bulk of bullying is directed by the mainstream "straight" people at LGBT folk, not the other way around, going out of your way to include the occasional Perez Hilton type who bullies "straight" people in a documentary like this would itself create an unreasonable bias. If you believe otherwise, you clearly haven't been living in the same world in which I have been living.
  • DebraJM... IndigoReb 2012/03/21 14:51:28
    DebraJMSmith

And we all have a right to have our own thoughts and words about something, without being attacked for such.

It appears that it is you and people like you, who are the biased people.
  • IndigoReb DebraJM... 2012/04/03 19:50:05 (edited)
    IndigoReb
    If you hate people or think that they are evil merely for having a core trait different from yours, that they can't help and that has no bearing on your life, you are the biased one, and they are justified in responding to your bias with some hostility. People are still entitled to defend themselves in this country, last I checked. And a religion that bashes non-heterosexuals just for being non-heterosexual is NOT Christian.

And I see that you are now not taking correspondence. Way to take the coward's way out in order to have the last word on your rather ignorant viewpoint.
  • DebraJM... IndigoReb 2012/04/05 05:04:25
    DebraJMSmith
    I rest my case. lol...
  • Aspect of B 2012/03/12 01:12:53
    Aspect of B
    +6
    If its purpose is to reach out to young people, why is it that the young people aren't allowed to experience it? Seems a little pointless.
  • BoomLover Aspect ... 2012/03/12 01:25:33
    BoomLover
    +1
    Your right, and so is DebraJMSmith, right above yo...
  • Jo Aspect ... 2012/03/12 01:43:10
    Jo
    +2
    its purpose shouldnt be reaching out to young people but to the authorities and the parents---they're the only ones that can do anything about it; kids will continue to do everything in thier power to avoid the embarrassment of "telling on" somebody, and they also know (and rightfully) that when you do that, the situation tends to become worse---its the adults that need the wakeup call.
  • Aspect ... Jo 2012/03/12 03:04:53
    Aspect of B
    +2
    That's probably true, but I would say that it isn't just one or the other when it comes to having children or their parents know about and have a way to deal with bullying. It's both. Actually an even better idea is to have all four elements involved in bullying educated--the children, their parents, authority, and the bully him or herself.
  • Jo Aspect ... 2012/03/12 03:08:52
    Jo
    +2
    I agree, but as far the bullies themselves learning anything, I dont see it happening in most cases; kids, especially teenagers, no matter what they're told, truly believe that they know better than authority figures/parents, and thats a "normal" teenager---most of these bullies are unstable (you have to be to do and say some the things these kids do), so the rules of the game especially dont work. But you're right that it isnt just one or the other.
  • Aspect ... Jo 2012/03/12 03:12:44
    Aspect of B
    +2
    Sadly, it's true. I, however, am an exception to that. When I was much, much younger, I was a bit of a bully. I almost got into a heck of a lot of trouble once. Then one day I realized how much of a d-bag I was. I guess once you get to a certain level of maturity it should just occur to you like that. So I made it up to the people I bullied (one of them ended up being my very best friend) and changed my ways.
  • Jo Aspect ... 2012/03/12 03:22:28
    Jo
    +2
    awwww...I'm glad to hear that. I think alot of kids get unintentionally pulled into a little bit at that age, and in those cases it IS a matter of maturity:))
  • bricknator 2012/03/12 01:10:50
    bricknator
    +6
    if this is what kids see every day, there's no reason to rate it R

2014/08/01 07:53:42