Bullied 7th Grade Girl Hangs Herself. Do We Need Tougher Anti-Bullying Laws ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2012/05/16 21:30:55
YES, We Need To Do Whatever It Takes To Stop Bullying
NO, Bullying Is No Big Deal.

Rachel Ehmke

Horrific news to report out of Mantorville, Minnesota, where a 13-year-old girl hanged herself after three months of enduring cruel bullying at the hands of her classmates, her parents said.

Rachel Ehmke, a seventh grader at Kasson/Mantorville Middle School, was found hanged in her home on April 29 after suffering abuse such as threats, being called a "slut," "prostitute," and a text message that circulated through the student body three days before her death, encouraging others to pick on her so she'd leave the school.

The text -- described by another parent as "pretty explicit" -- came from a student at a different school, officials said.

Director Elliot London: Be A Part Of My Film FRIEND And Stop Bullying

Her parents, Rick and Mary Ehmke, said Rachel -- who pleaded with them not to report the bullying, so as not to inflame it -- left a note that read, "I'm fine = I wish I could tell you how I really feel."

Rick said he's not going to pursue legal ramifications against those whose actions pushed his daughter over the edge.

"They're kids: they made some horrible decisions. If these kids would've known this would happen I'm pretty sure they never, ever would have done what they did," her father told Minnesota Public Radio. "Sadly enough, even those kids that know who they are will carry this bag their whole life.

"That's a sad thing too, it really is."

Read More: http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/05/rach...

• Rick 2012/05/25 20:09:51
    Rick
    +15
    Rachel is my beloved daughter...I miss her terribly. We had been dealing with issues of bullying all school year. Her Mother and I thought we were getting real support and consequences taken against the kids bullying. Sadly, we find out only to late that no such thing happened. As my daughter told us...it only got worse. We never got the chance to take the next step...take her out of the school. She really was a kind hearted person and tried to "befriend" the bully's thinking this might help. Sadly...it did not as two of these girls were on her basketball team...yet allowed to remain and taunt. Rachel then tried to shield us from reality....as she told me the Friday before her death. By us coming into the school ...it only got worse. Authorities in the school need to send a message to kids...if your bullied...we will take action. Not sweep it under the "its always happened" mentality. Take a stand against bullying ...WILL YOU JOIN US?

• "SennaKoshiba" 2012/05/27 15:44:08
    "SennaKoshiba"
    Although I don't fully agree with the answer choices. I believe that teasing to a degree is ok, it teaches kids to laugh at themselves. But bullying is, or at least can be, extremely bad.

I don't think we need stricter anti-bullying laws, but I think we should have a few moderate ones that don't make school suck for those involved.
    I was bullied, bullied until I became terrified to, "come out" as it were. I spent many nights playing with a knife or sword, thinking of how I could do it; how could I die with as little pain as possible? I got so bad one night, I went into the garage for something while upset, and fell onto the futon laying there. I thought and cried about how I could kill myself without them even knowing. I had a power drill in my hand, I turned it on and played with the trigger a bit, and aimed it at myself. I would have done it too, had I not known that I would have to either drill through my trachea, have it skip along and tear my face after failing to drill through my skull, or drill into my torso where the pain would be more intense but effective. Why am I alive? I don't even know. I kept crying and thinking, and eventually my Mom check up on me and I left the garage without a word.

Bullying is a problem, but it can't be stopped so easily.
  • William 2012/05/26 21:18:14
    William
    +1
    End school. End bullying.
  • Joey 2012/05/26 16:06:17
    Joey
    +1
    Bully is never good.. people speaks about things like it build up character and such stuff . But really it does not do that without leaving other marks that can last. People should not worry about people being mean to them when they come to school. School should be a happy time .
  • oldlady 2012/05/26 00:31:46
  • KaylaE 2012/05/25 23:49:53
    KaylaE
    +2
    I personally don't know if it would help BUT something needs to be done! And that would be a step in the right direction to hopefully getting it to end.

So sad that this kind of stuff happens. My younger cousin was bullied and actually had to be pulled out of the school because of it and the teaches/principal wouldn't do anything because every time he would say something all of the kids that were bullying him would deny it and they would believe them over him. He actually was talking about suicide and had to be put on medication. It's all just so sad.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/05/25 23:31:20
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    I am amazed this has not been solved. Here in this country we have every tool to fix what we need until we get to bullying. The time has come that we pull in the internet, texting, and school bullies and just remove them.

Let's create a bully free atmosphere for our Children. it is up to to the adults to do this. And it can be done.

kids laughing kids laughing kids laughing
  • Rogue_L... C. C. R... 2012/05/26 12:46:22 (edited)
  • C. C. R... Rogue_L... 2012/05/26 13:06:04
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    I LOVED that show and it does help in stopping bullies. Sad that even in today's times those bullies are still around. But also taken care of too.
  • Rogue_L... C. C. R... 2012/05/26 13:36:18 (edited)
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/05/25 21:58:03
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +4
    My heart goes out to this beautiful young girl, and to the loving family she left behind. Empathy and Compassion are something that needs to be taught, supported and reinforced. Adults need to set examples and make clear what is expected of their children. TOO many kids are being driven to this point, and it MUST stop. It hurts people as individuals and society as a whole.
    bullied to death bullied to death bullied to death examples clear expected children kids driven hurts people individuals society
  • Rick 2012/05/25 20:09:51
    Rick
    +15
  • Che Gue... Rick 2012/05/25 21:39:39
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +7
    I am very sad that Rachel was treated so badly and that she still isn't here with us. I am definitely going to take a stand against bullying. I think it is one of the most important issues facing our kids today. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior and it should be treated that way starting in kindergarden. There has to be some good that comes out of this horrible tragedy.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Che Gue... 2012/05/26 03:36:19
  • beavith1 Rick 2012/05/25 21:51:42
    beavith1
    +5
    i'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry for the way she was treated.

The teacher/coach, Administration and your School Board all deserve some sort of consequence.
  • Brendan... Rick 2012/05/25 21:57:54
  • Dana Rick 2012/05/25 22:21:46
    Dana
    +2
    I am so very very sorry for your daughter and for you and your family. There is no excuse for what happened to her.

My heart goes out to all of you and you will be in my families prayers and I hope over time your pain lessens.

Getting the word out was so brave of you, I bet many more will be saved because of her story. Many blessings and hugs for all of you.

Dana
  • C. C. R... Rick 2012/05/25 23:25:13
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    I wish so much she was treated with kindness, as she so deserved. I will say this, what happened to her will not go silently into the night or be pushed under a rug.

You have opened our eyes to the brutality that goes with this bullying. And also the strong love a child can have to shield her parents from what goes on against her in school. IT has been a long time since I have been invloved in the local schools. I think it is time I get invloved again. I will of course take a very strong stand against bullying.

I wish you strenth during this tragic time in your life.

prayers
  • Tabitha Rick 2012/05/25 23:58:45
    Tabitha
    +1
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I was bullied when I was in school to. It was really hard to deal with but I stopped caring after I got teased when my mom was going under the knife. People are cruel and they should see themselves how it feels to be bullied but they probably already know and don't realize they are ruining someone elses life. It is a terrible thing and I want to help put an end to this bull poopie.
  • sjalan Rick 2012/05/26 00:19:18
    +1
    My condolences cannot begin to releave the pain you and your wife feel. My prayers are with you both.

Your grief is shared by 1000's of parents every year, as the results of learned prejudice, bigotry and hatred and then expressed as bullying. Today more than ever we need to address this type of deterioration in our society. Your voices will be added to the many 10's of 1000's already fighting this battle.

But the real cause of this is the mentality of many is the failure to see through the real bigotry and hatred that has filled the minds of many of our youth from their parents, friends or associates. Until this is changed it will be an uphill battle. One ALL U.S. CITIZENS must embrace and consider totally unacceptable.
  • luvguins Rick 2012/05/26 00:29:03
    luvguins
    +1
    Rick: My deepest sympathy and this is just so heartbreaking to hear, and so unnecessary to lose a child because of this. Attention that has started needs to be continued about bullying.
    Too many precious children are brought to such a conclusion that they want to end their lives. Bullies should be punished as criminals when a suicide occurs, and school officials should be accountable and/or stop it. It has reached proportions that cannot be tolerated any longer.
  • *StarDu... Rick 2012/05/26 01:30:19
    *StarDust_LNC*~In Nothing I Trust~
    +1
    My condolences, im very sorry Rachel had to go through what she did, you two were teriffic parents and i sincerly hope that you do not feel to blame or at fault for not being able to prevent what happened i really do believe that she is in a better place and she is free from the bullies and is really happy. I will help in anyway i can.
  • findthe... Rick 2012/05/26 02:46:01
    findthelight2000
    +1
    There is a lot of support for putting a stop to bullying. What needs to be done is spreading the word as much as possible. We all need to work hard in our communities to stop it in our areas, and write our congressmen and senators to support laws against bullying. The Democrats listen and will work for this issue, Republicans believe in the strength of the fittest, and have little concern for that issue, so seek out your city's Democratic Committee for help. Also look into liberal religions like the Unitarian Universalists for support, they do a lot to stop bullying.
  • Spizzzo... Rick 2012/05/27 09:39:05
    Spizzzo BN-0
    I am EXTREMELY sympathetic to your loss and your cause, but I'm not sure if a law is the way to stop bullying. How would it have helped you? What kind of law should it be?
  • moonchild 2012/05/25 18:02:47
  • ehrhornp 2012/05/22 01:09:53
    ehrhornp
    +2
    It is disgusting that such behavior was allowed to continue.
  • ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥ 2012/05/21 07:33:37
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    +1
    but nothing still wont stop the bullying. Bullying needs to stop!!!
  • MiaBella 2012/05/21 05:39:02
    NO, Bullying Is No Big Deal.
    MiaBella
    Everyone gets bullied. you have to learn how to be bullied and handle getting bullied and being disliked and ordered around if you ever want to survive College or Have a job! just because someone doesnt like your shirt or style or even says your ugly doesnt give you the obligation or the right to feel offended. its called pride and self security. The youth need to learn it. it sounds harsh, i know, but you will get bullied all your life in different ways and you need to learn to handle it instead of running to suicide just because you realize not every person you meet is going to like you like your mommy says.
  • Che Gue... MiaBella 2012/05/21 21:49:24
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +7
    Wrong as usual. But thanks for stopping by. lol

The statistics on bullying and suicide are alarming:

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
    Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
    A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
    10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
    According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
    http://www.bullyingstatistics...
  • MiaBella Che Gue... 2012/05/22 00:29:27
  • moonchild MiaBella 2012/05/25 18:24:46
  • KaylaE MiaBella 2012/05/26 00:03:25
    KaylaE
    +4
    You sound ignorant! And the more you cuss in your 'opinions' toward people just makes you sound even more ignorant!
  • oldlady MiaBella 2012/05/26 00:43:40
    oldlady
    +3
    YOU ARE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A BULLY!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... MiaBella 2012/05/21 23:24:01
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    In High School I was Bullied Mercilessly Tormented beaten up
    Had my head shoved in Toliets

one day i had enough and when my bully hit me and he hit me so hard he broke my Rib and laughed I stood up and I broke his jaw with one punch then i continued to pummel him and he was twice my size

i Grabbed a near by Trash barrel and i smashed it over him and kicked him down a flight of Stairs

He never bothered me again But i never bullied anyone in high school
  • moonchild MiaBella 2012/05/25 18:07:31
    moonchild
    +4
    you know what? If an adult were bullied in the workplace the ways children are bullied in school, the 'bullies' would lost their job. If an adult is pushed or hit by a co-worker, that person would go to jail for assault. If a person is being called sexually derogatory terms like, "whore" or "slut"- they could press charges of sexual harassment. So to say bullying prepares you for the adult world is B.S. the adult world doesn't tolerate it. The rules should be NO DIFFERENT for children. In fact, they should be more strict.
  • moonchild MiaBella 2012/05/25 18:11:41
  • KaylaE MiaBella 2012/05/26 00:01:51
    KaylaE
    +3
    Not everyone is bullied! I was NEVER bullied! And NOBODY should have to 'get used to" being bullied! I'd also like to say I graduated high school, went to college (am still attending), and have a job and guess what I NEVER get 'bossed' around or 'bullied'. And there is a HUGE difference between being bullied and somebody just not liking you and maybe saying it to your face once or twice!
  • beach bum 2012/05/20 22:30:11
    beach bum
    +2
    time to stop the bullying
  • MissGates 2012/05/20 02:45:53
    MissGates
    +2
    It happens too often, and that's sad :(
  • Maya Zauberman 2012/05/19 22:44:08
    Maya Zauberman
    +2
    **shakes head at cruelty of these kids**
  • FromJesus'sPerspective 2012/05/19 20:57:30
    FromJesus'sPerspective
    +2
    RIP to this beautiful young lady. I can't help but shake my head at all the conservatives here throughout this thread expressing sentiments against bullying, however are the first to bully President Obama. Hyposcrites.

2014/09/17 11:34:04