British Schools Ban Best Friends: Are Best Friends Healthy?

A handful of primary (elementary) schools in south London are reportedly discouraging kids from having best friends and attempting to get them to interact in larger groups. Though The Sun, a major British tabloid, is calling the policy a "ban," it's unclear to what extent schools are taking it. Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni says the schools are enforcing the policy to "save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend."

Obviously, the policy has been met with severe criticism. Campaign for Real Education spokesman Chris McGovern explained, "Children take things very seriously and if you tell them they can’t have a best friend it can be seriously damaging to them. They need to learn about relationships." A member of the National Association of Head Teachers added, "I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It seems bizarre." Do you think having a best friend is a healthy part of growing up?

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/04/27 14:46:02 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +37
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that there are some people who do not want to be friends with large groups? Being an introvert or not wanting to have a huge group of acquaintances is not a bad thing. Neither is being outgoing and overly social. Quit treating the people who don't want to be parts of big groups as freaks. Some of us feel the life getting sucked out of us if more than 10 people are in a room. I have good friends, I get along with everyone, but under the pain of being expelled, I would have told a teacher or school administrator to go to hell before giving up my best friend.

All of the rules change the minute high school ends anyway. All of those "acquaintances" that they want these kids to have? They'll be gone from their lives 2 months after graduation. I'm still in touch with my best friends from high school and most of the time, they're closer than my actual family.

• tatilee(: 2012/04/27 19:50:00
    tatilee(:
    +1
    You can't stop people from growing a closer relationship with one person. And besides, some people like to have a select group of friend or maybe just even one rather than tons of them
  • budgerigar42 2012/04/27 19:49:57
  • JACKASS1776 2012/04/27 19:48:33
    JACKASS1776
    +1
    Can you say 1984? or Germany 1930's? This stupid law would make George Orewell and Winston Churchill both turning over their graves and piss off
  • Bill Sundling 2012/04/27 19:48:13
    Bill Sundling
    The British government continues to micromanage people more and more.
  • JACKASS... Bill Su... 2012/04/27 19:53:06
    JACKASS1776
    +1
    What's next banding works of Geroge Orwell and Winston Churchill. I'll bet you both Orwell and Churchill would be piss at this stupid law
  • Freeranger 2012/04/27 19:45:15
    Freeranger
    I think "yes" for those who need a best friend. I had to think back to high school and, as a three sport athlete I was very involved, and I had a nucleus of friends, of which we were close, but I had no, one particular person that I hung out with all the time. Everyone is different in that regard. Some need that confidant, others don't require it I guess.
  • Fergie 2012/04/27 19:35:44
    Fergie
    +2
    That is really damaging...you should never be taught to retreat from a relationship out of fear of the pain of splitting up
  • Portholus 2012/04/27 19:35:17
    Portholus
    +1
    WHAT IDIOT COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF!!!! My best friends were and are an important part of my life. You look to them for guidance and support when you do not feel you can talk to anyone else. They do not judge you and are there for you.
  • Boo Portholus 2012/04/27 21:17:09
    Boo
    Psychologists. The truly imbalanced!
  • Myagooshki 2012/04/27 19:34:09
    Myagooshki
    +1
    We can't expect everyone to be all extroverted all of the time!! I think that there should be more time spent on teaching them how to maintain the friends that they are able to make naturally rather than forcing them to be friends with people who might not share the same interests/personality types.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/04/27 19:32:26
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Overall, you're darned right they are healthy. What's unhealthy is a bunch of poorly-but-overly-educated head cases jumping into the middle of real life and attempting to turn all our children into icebergs who can't relate to other human beings. I'm not a renowned psychologist or psychiatrist or anything else but I can guarantee you that if this stupid line of thinking is allowed to prevail, give it a couple years and then watch the crime rate increase megafold. Dumbass people who keep poking their unsolicited noses into everybody's business, trying to justify their very existence. What a dangerous concept.
  • Aingean 2012/04/27 19:28:09
    Aingean
    +1
    How are they going to stop having a best friend? That is absolutely ridiculous. Having a best friend or friends is very healthy. I don't know about everyone else but my best friend and I are like sisters and we tell each other everything ( okay not EVERYTHING, we leave more private stuff private ) but I can vent to her and vice versa it isn't good for a person to bottle up their feelings. Best friends help each other cope with a lot of things. How is having a best friend a bad thing?
  • Crislee M 2012/04/27 19:26:21
    Crislee M
    +1
    Of course they are healthy. What a silly question. Of course only a newspaper is saying best friends are banned. But making any policy at a school about friendship is not right. All kids are different and need different things from other. Having one close friend is not harmful. In fact for some kids it vital. So sad that schools are trying to run every aspect of a childs life. Parents, stand up and do you job so the schools dont think they have to do it. They have a purpose already. They should think everything is up to them.
  • Ben 2012/04/27 19:24:44
    Ben
    +1
    Until they stab you in the back, they're wonderful!
  • ={WGO}=captnesti 2012/04/27 19:15:12
    ={WGO}=captnesti
    Not everyone wants to socialize with a group of people.
  • Fievel 2012/04/27 19:12:14
    Fievel
    everyone needs someone to lean on, as a friend, or best friend.
    They provide a learning experience of extending trust to another human being.
  • Sterling 2012/04/27 19:08:09 (edited)
    Sterling
    +1
    These same people probably want to take emotion out of sex, keep people from mating for life; instead of having deep friendships with a few people you need to have flimsy relationships with tons of people who won't match your personality.

I suppose they will also regulate that you can't have deep conversations anymore and that instead you should just make small talk with all your new "friends" all day long.
  • Reach130 2012/04/27 19:02:47
    Reach130
    I'm pretty sure only a handful of schools are doing that...
    Because I've never heard of a school doing that.
  • 3052457 2012/04/27 19:01:10
  • beachbum 2012/04/27 18:59:43
    beachbum
    +2
    This is one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard...........exactly how do you plan to enforce this??? This is liberalism at it's best or more at it's worst.
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/04/27 18:53:34
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +1
    Wow, so now people want to choose who you can have as friends???
  • seahawk665 2012/04/27 18:52:55 (edited)
    seahawk665
    +1
    Thank you. Thank you for coming up with this to make us introverts feel like there is something wrong with us. Some of us don't do well with a large group of people, and would rather spend our time with one or two close friends, and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Meako 2012/04/27 18:51:00
    Meako
    Don't know what I would do without mine....

best friends black girls
  • alex 2012/04/27 18:49:21
    alex
    Lmfao, you're kidding right? What's with all the rhetorical questions lately?
  • Knot_Rich 2012/04/27 18:47:37
    Knot_Rich
    +1
    Socialism at it's core.
    Take note all you hard core liberals and people who believe we should be like Europe, this is where allowing the government to control your life leads. A little here, a little there, liberals like to accuse conservatives of being afraid of the "slippery slope". Unfortunately, there is a slippery slope, and it has no bottom, that's the way big governments work. Telling hair dressers what kind of shoes they may wear, telling kids they may not have "best friends" this is pittiful. Best friends are a part of life, someone to trust and share. Why "save the child the pain of splitting up"? Pain and sorrow is as much a part of life as love and friendship, hate and hardship. How are these children supposed to grow up to handle the requirements of life if they are deprived of the learning experiences? Oh, I guess later the government will ban marrage to protect them from the pain of divorce, ban funerals to shield them from the pain of loss. Governmetn needs to get out of attempting to run peoples lives and do their jobs of running the country. Maybe if they didn't distract themselves with all the petty crap they have no business in they could do their jobs for a change.
  • Lizzy 2012/04/27 18:43:05
    Lizzy
    Firstly The Sun newspaper is TRASH.
    If this is happening in schools here in the UK i`d be very surprised on the other hand maybe this is to deter youngster from being Individuals who think for themselves + developing lasting friendships. If this is true maybe they are trying to develop just herds of brainless sheep !!!!.
  • Buzzymuzzwelle 2012/04/27 18:39:40
    Buzzymuzzwelle
    +2
    This kind of crap is coming this way if you Obama and his socialists get their way. Buzzy
  • scientologist supreme 2012/04/27 18:27:53
    scientologist supreme
    thats stupid
  • Panloker 2012/04/27 18:27:28
    Panloker
    +2
    LOL!!! this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard!!

Banning best friends for the purpose of protecting their fragile little hearts from the chance of the friendship ending? How stupid!! If you think this generation is full of whining sissy's, just wait to see what is in store for the next if this is how we are now conditioning our young.
  • john Kills 2012/04/27 18:25:46
    john Kills
    How in the hell do you stop people from liking each other. This will be in our schools soon.
  • Zensufi 2012/04/27 18:10:03
    Zensufi
    +2
    So my kid has to be a social butterfly to be ok! Who made up that rule?
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/04/27 18:03:48 (edited)
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    Not always if you're a woman.
  • beachbum YeahISa... 2012/04/27 18:33:08
    beachbum
    Huh??? My best friend/s have helped me get thru some rough times.
  • YeahISa... beachbum 2012/04/30 17:12:37
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    At some point every woman gets what I mean.
  • beachbum YeahISa... 2012/04/30 17:35:51
    beachbum
    Sorry..........I've lived for quite a while now, and I've not had the problems you are referring to............but then, I raised sons, and worked in a male oriented industry. Off the top of my head, can I really think of a female co-worker that I didn't get along with.......but then, she didn't get along with anyone. I have pretty much always had more male friends than female, but the female friends that I've been close to are like me - I don't like gossip, and will not participate in it.

But, as I said, I've been thru some tough times, and my female friends have always been supportive, caring, and uplifting. Will admit there are catty women out there, but I've never been one to hang out with them, or associate with them.
  • Always YeahISa... 2012/04/27 20:51:05
    Always
    Why?
  • YeahISa... Always 2012/04/30 17:15:05
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    I can't believe I'm one of the few women on head who'll admit how women really are. They're like packs of wolves especially if it's more than two. Three is indeed a crowd. Put more than two women together and they figure out a way to start picking people off.
  • Always YeahISa... 2012/04/30 18:41:35
    Always
    +1
    In high school I had two best friends. (Melissa and Katherine). Truthfully all three of us were quite strange and nerdy. Our favorite thing to do together was improv. I'm still friends with them, but I don't see them as much anymore because Melissa and Katherine moved to different states for collage. I'm tired of this stereotype that women are all out to get each other.

Also my sister and I have been best friends our whole lives. We help and support each other through anything.
  • alun.palmer 2012/04/27 17:53:11
    alun.palmer
    +2
    Totally insane

2014/09/21 22:09:55