Bradley Manning Sentenced to 35 Years in Prison: Should He Have Gotten More or Less Time?

Aly1234 2013/08/21 18:00:00
The 25-year-old soldier who passed on hundreds of thousands of classified military information to WikiLeaks has been sentenced to 35 years in prison. This is the largest sentence any US government leaker has ever received, but he is also responsible for the biggest leak in US military history. Prosecutors were aiming to have him put in for 60 years.

Aside from the sentence, Manning's rank in the marines has been demoted to that of Private E1. He will also have to give up pay, and allowances as well as be dishonorably discharged. He has to serve a minimum of one-third of his sentence, meaning he could potentially be up for parole in eight years. Also, the 1,294 days Manning has already spent in military custody, since May 2010, will be deducted from his sentence.

Civil rights and press freedom groups are still not pleased with this turn out, however. Ben Wizner, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Speech, Privacy & Technology Project, said in a statement: "When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system." He later added, "This is a sad day for Bradley Manning, but it's also a sad day for all Americans who depend on brave whistleblowers and a free press for a fully informed public debate."

What do you think? Fair, or unfair ruling? Should he have gotten more time, or is his sentence already far too drastic compared to others charged under the Espionage Act?

Read More: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/21/bradl...

• Katsuma 2013/08/21 19:00:24
    Less time.
    Katsuma
    +26
    Letting the general public know what our vast army of guns and weapons of mass destruction are up to? My god, what a monster!!! (Sarcasm)

• Kenny ABRON 2014/01/01 19:57:19
    More time.
    Kenny ABRON
    He's young and dumb oh snap i thought that I clicked less time he should have 25 and I'm sorry t osay if he gets into any trouble his time should be 35-60 years
  • Hiosta Kenny A... 2014/01/07 20:37:37
    Hiosta
    They should honor his wishes. Give him a sex-change and leave him in prison a male prison. I'm sure he'll have a memorable experience.
  • sooky.das 2013/10/21 11:00:22
    Less time.
    sooky.das
    A merciless agenda there. Too cruel. He didn't murder anyone, just reported those who did.
  • Zeze 2013/09/20 23:55:57
    More time.
    Zeze
    He should never see daylight again. In fact, some of our POWs from viet nam should be sent home and he sent there. Oh yeah, I do believe that we have more POWs there.
  • Douglas Roberts 2013/09/03 22:07:30
    Less time.
    Douglas Roberts
    This is the price of transparency. Since our own government officials won't be honest and upfront, it takes a citizen to stand up and let the facts be known. I hope he only has to serve the minimum of this sentence, people who do good don't deserve this treatment.
  • Anne 2013/09/01 09:11:30 (edited)
    Less time.
    Anne
    I don't know him in person at all but I don't think he's such a monster for saying uncomfortable stuff which sadly happened to be the truth I mean there're images and stuff... but omg maybe he's a creepy man created those videos to piss off people and used photoshop to edit all... I don't think so! Facts are facts, ha. About gender things, that's a different story and I think also a personal thing.. some people get born as transgenders or something not sure that's her/his case really; but if so, being blamed cuz his genes it's a bit too much... are they giving him more years cuz that btw ... ? truth not allowed
  • SarahLJP 2013/08/29 04:21:07
    Less time.
    SarahLJP
    +1
    And it's Chelsea Manning. She is a whistleblower not a traitor. She didn't do it to aid the enemy.
  • Bolrog 2013/08/28 08:26:14
    More time.
    Bolrog
    There are War Clouds on the Horizon...need to read this Question and European Online Newsource I posted today.
    More time.
    Much more time, but accept this decision from those that heard the evidence.
  • ParkMan 2013/08/27 12:50:47 (edited)
    More time.
    ParkMan
    +2
    The man is responsible for the biggest leak in military history. I don't care if he leaked the locations of US military bathrooms, you don't leak military secrets. If you have a problem with what the military is doing, handle this the right way, not broadcast it around the world.

He's up for parole after 8 years. Doesn't sound all that long to me.
  • Bolrog ParkMan 2013/08/28 08:27:34
    Bolrog
    I agree...I posted a Question on the looming War...European Union News Source.
  • Mike Huang ParkMan 2013/09/04 00:20:41
    Mike Huang
    Um, he did try handling it the right way and he was largely ignored or laughed off by the higher ups in command. Then he tried leaking the information to just the media, and they didn't take him seriously either. That's when he decided to release the information to wikileaks.
  • ParkMan Mike Huang 2013/09/04 04:51:48
    ParkMan
    There's probably a number of people who would have listened to him. However, even if no-one did you still don't leak military secrets.
  • Chere 2013/08/27 12:40:05
    Sentence was just right.
    Chere
    ...parole after 8 years. one site said 7 years. He was tried by the media. The court felt the pressure.
  • jrm43231 2013/08/27 08:50:57
    Less time.
    jrm43231
    +4
    It's curious how "No time" was not an option.
  • Anne jrm43231 2013/09/01 08:53:28
    Anne
    indeed!
  • Bob Pooba 2013/08/27 08:21:03
    More time.
    Bob Pooba
    +1
    Les time really, you know, just long enough to stand him infront of a firing squad.
  • fortycal_sig 2013/08/27 05:20:44
    Less time.
    fortycal_sig
    +1
    Hey, Democrats: Repeal Wilson's Espionage Act already.
  • Soundstorm 2013/08/27 03:16:39
    Sentence was just right.
    Soundstorm
    +1
    A century ago they wouldn't be discussing the length of his sentence or whether he's entitled to hormone therapy at taxpayer expense because being a man didn't work out for him. Just how soon his execution will be carried out.
  • Bolrog Soundstorm 2013/08/28 08:29:14
    Bolrog
    +1
    There are storm Clouds of war on the Horizon...Read and Respond to my Question please.
  • Soundstorm Bolrog 2013/08/28 17:04:49
    Soundstorm
    Your link takes me to your previous statement about WWII but I don't see any question. Is this the link you intended?
  • Red Omega 2013/08/27 02:33:10
    Less time.
    Red Omega
    +2
    Murderers and rapists have gotten less...
  • Soundstorm Red Omega 2013/08/30 01:49:06 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    It's not like they put millions of lives at risk by revealing national secrets. But murderers and rapists should get more severe punishment.
  • Anne Red Omega 2013/09/01 08:54:03
    Anne
    true
  • JasonVorhees111 2013/08/27 00:13:15
    Less time.
    JasonVorhees111
    +2
    He shouldn't have been charged at all!
  • D4RK_4NG3L 2013/08/26 15:03:40
    Less time.
    D4RK_4NG3L
    +3
    It is sad that when a whistle-blower, blows the whistle on a company they are protected, But when they blow the whistle on a corrupt government that is lying to the American people, they are treated like traitors and jailed. Hey may or not be a whistle blower like Snowden but fact is Some things are classified for good reasons, and somethings are classified to hide Government lies and atrocities on the American people and Humanity, there is a difference. This just shows that the Government has a lot to hide from its Citizens. Do you think the Government should be lying to the people that pay their salary. Should they be lying to the people they have taken an oath to serve? After all they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.
  • Jackie ... D4RK_4NG3L 2013/08/27 16:40:17
    +1
    Well, neither are whistle blowers - they are people who chose to steal information and give it to foreign sources without regard to the consequences of their actions. Manning said originally that he did it to protest Don't Ask Don't Tell and then got lawyers and came up with a more 'noble' purpose. Neither are heroes and could have been whistle blowers but chose a different path. Personally, I have zero respect for either of them.
  • frjm 2013/08/26 14:11:32
    Less time.
    frjm
    +1
    I actually look at Manning as a patriot. This government has become tyrannical and the extent of that tyranny needs to come to light.
  • FrankVelts 2013/08/26 10:37:28
    More time.
    FrankVelts
    +1
    There are two sides to this story. I see both sides to this; The goverment sometimes hides certain information just to protect us and sometimes they hide information to be sneaky and spying, but in this case i have to take one side considering when the enemy knows our sensitive goverment military information, it puts at higher risk for being attacked. I consider this treason without doubt. His intentions may have been good, i don't know, but there surely is a reason this information is sensitive. I rather be safe and lied to rather than in danger or dead. =\
  • JasonVo... FrankVelts 2013/08/27 00:24:55
    JasonVorhees111
    +1
    Who exactly is the 'enemy'? Al-Qaeda (Who were trained by the CIA)? The Assad Regime (Put in power by the CIA)?, The Drug Cartels (Most of whom were created by CIA Drug Trafficking)? Despite what your government tells you, The U.S hasn't had a real enemy since World War II, none of the Groups or Countries in the world today could do anything with the Information released and not a single U.S servicemen has been harmed from it's release either.

Your Mindset resembles Pre-Cold War fear of the soviets... a mindset that does not belong in the modern world! '

'Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither. Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.'' - Benjamin Franklin
  • Hiosta JasonVo... 2013/09/21 03:10:57
    Hiosta
    We aren't suppose to know this information. You aren't suppose to know anything we don't want you to know. Thanks to the Patriot Act your phone is being tapped and you are currently being traced.
  • Mike Huang FrankVelts 2013/09/04 00:23:31
    Mike Huang
    It's sensitive because it embarrasses the government, not because it endangers troops. He carefully selected the cables that would not put troops in harms way. Even the courts found that he was not guilty of "aiding the enemy."
  • Hiosta FrankVelts 2013/09/21 03:08:59
    Hiosta
    There's only one country I was told during my travels that holds more information from their people than the United States- China. I met a girl from Beijing and she said she would rather live in China, because the U.S.A. is too complicated.
  • aeronaut83 2013/08/26 00:14:56
    More time.
    aeronaut83
    +2
    He deserves life. I don't know how someone so mentally unstable was put in charge of such sensitive information.
  • sodabox aeronaut83 2013/08/26 02:47:26
    sodabox
    You don't think war crimes should be reported?
  • JasonVo... aeronaut83 2013/08/27 00:27:05
    JasonVorhees111
    +3
    He isn't mentally unstable. That's a well documented Ad-Hominem Smear Tactic used to discredit individuals based on their personal life rather than their actions. The fact you believe it shows how Ignorant you are!
  • Jonathan V. 2013/08/25 20:13:44
    Less time.
    Jonathan V.
    +2
    He shouldn't have been punished at all. There were no victims, and he was helping the American people.
  • Mike Huang Jonatha... 2013/09/04 00:24:39
    Mike Huang
    +2
    There were victims, the government whose heinous acts of war crimes were exposed. But no one cares about those.
  • DefendnProtect 2013/08/25 18:11:00 (edited)
    Less time.
    DefendnProtect
    +4
    Freedom of speech is enshrined in the Constitution.

Or isn't it?

freedom of speech
  • kobidob... Defendn... 2013/08/25 19:21:41 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    You are right. Free anything in the USA is a lie. People see that emulating us not even knowing it using the islamic law of no with sever whatever giving fear. The constitution wants to take the place of God's law with the pretext that the Constitution follows God's law. God's law was in Jesus in the flesh with blood in him. Jesus would not equate the consultation to the law of God that was in him. To even have the thought of jailing a person is allowing the whispering devil in the mind to whisper that thought to jail anyone.

2014/09/02 14:32:46