Both Sides Aren't Doing It

ProudProgressive 2012/06/04 12:51:18

A common ploy of the Right Wing Media has been the constant claim that "both sides do it". When another Right Wing attack disgusts the nation, the increasingly conservative American media's first response is to try to find a false equivalence. Rush Limbaugh slanders a private citizen for expressing her opinion and the media's reaction was "it's ok because a professional comedian insulted a Vice Presidential candidate". When the Tea Party acts to undermine the entire economy, forces the first lowering of America's credit rating ever, pushes us to the brink of a default, and campaigns to deprive Americans of their basic rights, the media response is "its ok because Occupy Wall Street didn't do a good enough job of cleaning up a park."

Both sides don't do it. Everyone, including the Right Wing Media, knows it. So why are they so afraid of admitting it?

Article excerpt follows:

Both Sides Aren't Doing It
By Nicole Belle
6/3/2012

It cannot be overstated in American politics that he who frames the debate wins the argument.

What does it tell you when the media continually frames the debate into a false equivalence of "both sides do it" when talking about finding solutions to America's problems?

The fact of the matter is that both sides AREN'T doing it, and the media is perpetuating this lie over and over.

Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein--neither of whom could be accurately described as bleeding heart liberals--wrote a book on just how extreme the Republican Party has become and tellingly, not one of the mainstream Sunday shows would book them to discuss it, although Mann and Ornstein have numerous previous appearances to their credit. Oh, but they have room to book John McCain over and over.

Mann and Ornstein point out something that won't be said on any other show: the Republicans are vastly abusing the filibuster, for no other reason than to reflexively obstruct anything that might be perceived as a victory for the president:

We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.

“Both sides do it” or “There is plenty of blame to go around” are the traditional refuges for an American news media intent on proving its lack of bias, while political scientists prefer generality and neutrality when discussing partisan polarization. Many self-styled bipartisan groups, in their search for common ground, propose solutions that move both sides to the center, a strategy that is simply untenable when one side is so far out of reach.

We have big issues facing this country and major choices that must be made on the kind of country we want to collectively be. But those desperately needed conversations aren't going to be had until the media stops pretending that this isn't a problem overwhelmingly caused by one party for their own short term political gain.

Read More: http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/both-sides-...

• Paul 2012/06/06 20:10:04
    Paul
    +1
    I've noticed even on Sodahead, how the conservatives will constantly try and use the "right back at ya" argument whether it makes sense or not.

Good observation by many knowledgeable people, thanks for the post
  • YouSirName 2012/06/05 15:19:50
    YouSirName
    +2
    Disagree only that the GOP is an "outlier." A large plurality (perhaps a majority?) of people in this country have bought in to the media/corporate lies. Advertising plays such a huge role in our society and fact/science/rational understanding runs a distant second.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/04 15:59:42
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    VERY GOOD POINT OF VIEWS
  • Live Free Or Die 2012/06/04 14:34:45
    Live Free Or Die
    Pointing fingers when you say or do something wrong is the tactic of a 3-year-old, certainly not the mark of a responsible adult.
  • bigfoot Live Fr... 2012/06/04 23:23:17
    bigfoot
    who am I to stand in your way?Live Free is an impossibility in the Mystical Land of Conservatism.enjoy your Trip.take your Swim Suit.its Hot where your going.
  • Live Fr... bigfoot 2012/06/05 02:00:27
    Live Free Or Die
    I didn't write out my comment clearly or make sense obviously. I'm directing it at the right wing.
  • bigfoot Live Fr... 2012/06/05 17:43:02
    bigfoot
    +1
    I must confess I was surprised by your original comment.because Live Free has raved me in the recent past.so I thought the Avatar had been taken by someone else.my apologies,my friend
  • Live Fr... bigfoot 2012/06/05 17:57:51
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    oh no problem, people do that on here, so completely understandable. I've even seen some go so far as to impersonate others, crazy stuff here on the internet. Apology is accepted for you as well with much understanding, and yes, it was I who raved you in the past for great posts :)
  • David Lindner 2012/06/04 13:51:15
    David Lindner

chris matthews hate speech against catholics and mormons

more liberal hate speech

more hate speech.
  • Thom Payne David L... 2012/06/04 14:19:33
    Thom Payne
    +2
    LMFAO....you are such a wussy. I have had worse said about me by CONs on the internet.

You should have heard the nasty phone calls my receptionist received when I had a 'Veterans for Kerry' bumper sticker on my business vehicle with my phone number on it in 1984.

BTW, calling Sarah Palin ignorant isn't hate speech....it is pointing out the obvious.
  • David L... Thom Payne 2012/06/04 14:20:12
    David Lindner
    that had nothing to do with that tough guy.
  • Thom Payne David L... 2012/06/04 17:10:36
    Thom Payne
    +1
    Nope....had nothing to do with you pretending that the truth is 'hate speech' - but only to thin-skinned, craybaby GOPerCONmen.

seal of the republican party

seal of the republican party
  • David Lindner 2012/06/04 13:14:50
    David Lindner
    +1
    disgusting lies.
    watch chris matthews, bill maher, or rachel maddow, or morning joe.

all have made hate attacks, and morning joe's black reporter made racial attacks.

tell the truth sometime
  • JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/04 12:55:07
    JoeBtfsplk
    +2
    'increasing conservative media in America...'

Stop it! My sides are aching laughing at your futile, untruthful, attempts to spew your known lies.
  • Evil 1 JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/04 13:07:42 (edited)
    Evil 1
    +2
    Pathetic isn't it? Seems they choose not to address the issues such as the May job numbers (as well as those numbers that were revised downward for March and April) but would rather spew this type of ridiculous BS. Their desperation is showing.
  • Paul Evil 1 2012/06/06 20:02:24
    Paul
    We all know what the job numbers are, not a big secret. The big secret would be how republicans think they'll fix the problem if they get Romney elected.
    Nothing desperate about it, makes a good point why not to support the GOP that does not represent many of the people that think they owe some sort of loyality to a party not interested in what's best for our country.
  • Evil 1 Paul 2012/06/06 21:15:34
    Evil 1
    Well I'm up to giving the Republicans a chance considering Obama has been a complete and total failure. Which is a major reason not to support him. And talking about individuals that think they owe loyalty to a party not being in the best interest of the country, tell that to the unions that Obama has been in bed with.
  • Thom Payne JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/04 14:20:19
    Thom Payne
    +2
    The media in America is owned by corporations....and let me give you a hint...they aren't liberal.
  • JoeBtfsplk Thom Payne 2012/06/05 13:24:32
    JoeBtfsplk
    I disagree jf, by most counts all the major media outlets except Fox lean left. They may have their 'token' right wing pundit, but the majority lean left/liberal.
  • Thom Payne JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/05 22:40:21
    Thom Payne
    +1
    The concept of a US liberal media is a myth made up by the rightwing propaganda machine, who (for the record) just makes up most of what it has to offer.

http://makethemaccountable.co...
    http://politicalirony.com/200...
    http://www.informationclearin...

Although, you know that the 'liberal' media goes out of it's way to tell the truth, while Fox News has sued to ensure their right to mislead the public, right?

2014/10/30 18:59:17