‘Blunt amendment' killed in Senate

ProudProgressive 2012/03/01 20:13:44
Today the Senate showed that it still has the ability to act rationally and killed the amendment introduced by Senator Roy Blunt (R) seeking to grant corporations the right to ignore the First Amendment whenever they feel like it. Sadly, this undoubtedly won't be the last time that the conservatives try to further eviscerate the United States Constitution, but for today at least, liberty survives.

Article excerpt follows:

Birth control exemption bill, the ‘Blunt amendment,' killed in Senate
By N. C. Aizenman and Rosalind S. Helderman
March 1

By a largely party-line vote, the Senate on Thursday blocked a move to exempt virtually any employer with moral objections from the Obama administration's controversial birth control health coverage rule.

The measure, an amendment proposed by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) to a highway funding bill, was tabled—and therefore effectively killed—by a vote of 51 to 48.

Only one Republican Senator, Olympia Snowe of Maine voted against the measure. Three Democratic senators supported it, Robert Casey (Pa.), Joe Manchin (W.V.), and Ben Nelson (Neb.).

The measure was among the most sweeping of several congressional efforts to broaden the current religious exemption in the birth control rule, which only fully exempts explicitly religious organizations such as churches from its requirement that worker health plans include contraceptive coverage with no out-of-pocket charges.

Under the Blunt amendment, not only would church-affiliated organizations such as Catholic hospitals, universities, schools and charities have been free to opt out of the coverage, any non-religious employer with a moral objection would have qualified.

The amendment would also have allowed such employers to refuse to cover any other preventive procedures required under the administration's rule if they had a religious or moral objection.

Read More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-scie...

• Guru_T_Firefly 2012/03/01 21:07:30
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +5
    Good. Roy Blunt is a disgrace to Missouri and to the USA. Nothing he submits should ever be made into law. I'm deeply ashamed for any of my fellow Missourians who voted him into office.

• Dave 2012/03/04 02:05:35
    Dave
    I find it hard to believe --- but I am happy!
  • Giantfan 2012/03/02 16:31:50
    Giantfan
    I am totally disappointed in my senator Bob Casey, he's a good man and a good senator and i will vote for him again but he is very Catholic and 110% pro life but I whould have hoped he would not have voted for this bill. I will be sure to e-mail his office with my opinion on the matter but it's a good thing it didn't pass.
  • Susan F 2012/03/02 06:57:11
    Susan F
    +3
    CONTRACEPTION IS LIBERTY.
    Apparently there are a few folks out there without vaginas that missed the message.
  • Jimbo 2012/03/01 23:17:14
    Jimbo
    +2
    Nelson, Casey, Manchin, for the Dems voted for it. Only Snowe for the GOP voted against. Wonder if her GOP sister in ME Collins has hurt her re-election chances.
  • Orangedragan 2012/03/01 21:48:19
    Orangedragan
    +2
    You know what I would love even more than this? Is if these idiotic politicians stopped trying to sneak legislature through the system by amending completely unrelated legislature. Seriously, he tried to piggyback the law on a HIGHWAY FUNDING BILL? Have they no shame?
  • Whizzy Oranged... 2012/03/04 03:04:17
    Whizzy
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, a highway funding bill is what the name says? to get money for a new highway? Or is it just a name given to a certain way of proposing a bill (a highway means speed?)
    (Dutch here ;) )
  • Oranged... Whizzy 2012/03/04 04:36:25
    Orangedragan
    It means the subject of the bill was funding the highway.
  • Whizzy Oranged... 2012/03/04 04:42:29
    Whizzy
    That was my first thought but then I had a feeling of "noooo, that can't be, this is not about how fast one goes from Indiana to Florida"

I will never understand right wing politicians I guess...... but I think I don't want to either if these actions are considered normal by them (tbh I don't understand many left wing politicians either)
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/03/01 21:38:08
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    I'm glad somone has some sense in Washington.
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/03/01 21:07:30
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +5

2014/11/29 07:18:21