Bill Maher Takes Heat Over Tim Tebow Tweet

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/12/27 18:46:04

Even in defeat, Tim Tebow creates controversy -- this time in Tinseltown.

HBO's Bill Maher created a firestorm over the Christmas weekend with a scathing reaction to Tebow's subpar performance in Buffalo. Shortly after Tebow threw four interceptions in the Broncos' lopsided defeat to the Bills, Maher turned to his Twitter page to poke fun at the very religious NFL star. (And a warning: Maher's tweet includes harsh language and divisive references.)

"Wow, Jesus just [screwed] #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere ... Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler "Hey, Buffalo’s killing them," Maher tweeted.

Maher, a proud atheist who supports legalizing pot, same-sex marriage and is a board member for PETA, upset a number of conservatives, according to Entertainment Weekly. Eric Bolling of Fox News responded to Maher by calling him "disgusting vile trash,"among other things.

Tebow didn't bother responding to Maher, but plenty of his fans did. Some called for a mass cancellation of HBO subscriptions over the offensive tweet. "Real Time with Bill Maher," is scheduled to return to the premium cable channel on January 13, 2012.

The comedian has roughly 872,000 followers on Twitter. Believe it or not, that's 100,000 more than Tebow's number of Twitter minions.

As for Tebow's Broncos, they'll win the AFC West title and the No. 4 seed with a win over the Chiefs or a Raiders loss to the Chargers this weekend.

Read More: http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/comedi...

• Curmudgeon 2011/12/29 00:24:33
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    I'm glad this happened, as I was getting very annoyed with watching NFL games that looked more like a evangelical mass when the game was over.

As thanking god for everything and suddenly forgetting his name as you throw interceptions to lose a game seems like a double standard to me. lol
  • antiteaparty 2011/12/28 05:10:44
    antiteaparty
    +1
    Who cares what Cons think!
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/28 00:46:58
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Totally tacky but he has the right to say what he wants. His fans will punish him or not.
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +4
    Bill Maher is a comedian, it's his job to upset conservatives.
  • kapsa321 Algor. ... 2011/12/27 23:24:02
  • kapsa321 2011/12/27 23:02:37
    kapsa321
    +3
    I think the point Mahr was making is that if you're gonna thank god when things go good maybe you should blame him when things go bad.
  • Queen B 2011/12/27 22:10:15
    Queen B
    +2
    Bill Maher pissed off the conservatives over this? Hell they never liked him in the first place, so it ain't no big deal. And I am glad that Buffalo beat the Broncos. Now Tebows's fans want to get into a pissing match with a comedian? Get over it people.
  • flrdsgns 2011/12/27 21:18:00
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Bill Maher is an atheist, he makes comments like this all the time. You can either agree with him or disagree with his statements, but he has the freedom to say whatever he wants.
    HBO however also has the freedom and power to pull the plug on him anytime they think he is losing them advertisers or business.
  • Idiot repubs 2011/12/27 20:35:01
    Idiot repubs
    +6
    I guess Jesus had other plans on Christmas eve than to make Tebow look good.

keys starving jesus
  • kapsa321 Idiot r... 2011/12/27 23:03:27
    kapsa321
    +2
    Nicely done.
  • realityjunkie 2011/12/27 20:28:59
    realityjunkie
    +1
    Nothing is off limits for comedians. Was it mean-spirited? Yes but I have to admit I had a good laugh. I do like Bill Maher but he did hit a stationary target. Tebow is demonstrative about his religion and feels it is God’s will when his team wins or loses. I’d rather Maher go after the Pope for hiding pedophiles. You have to admire Tebow though. He could have pitched a fit with his teammates as other quarterbacks may have but he did not. The Broncos are a rival of my team so I want them to lose but Tebow is a good guy and I wish him well.
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2011/12/27 20:23:38
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +2
    It's called Freedom of Speech No one has to like Maher's statement, but he's still aloud to say it. And a bunch of people cancelled their HBO subscription as a result, That's freedom of Choice. I don't see what the big deal is.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/12/27 20:22:30
  • wildcat 2011/12/27 19:56:21
    wildcat
    +3
    Tebow did screw up this weekend and so did Bill Maher. Life is funny ain't it?
  • elijahin24 2011/12/27 19:55:28
    elijahin24
    +4
    How is this news? Conservatives hate Bill Maher. They've always hated him. Christians REALLY hate him, and they always have too. How is this news? What he said was funny, and if it weren't about religion, nobody would be upset. In fact, if it were about a non-Judeo-Christian religion, nobody would be upset. If he prayed to Jobu (see Major League), the same people who are calling for his boycott right now, would be cheering him on. If it were Scientology that he was ridiculing, they would all have witty comments to go right along with Bills. Grow up Christians. Your golden-boy is at best, a mediocre QB, who has gotten lucky because of good late defense, and a kicker who can put a ball into orbit.
  • ★~Docto... elijahin24 2011/12/27 19:59:28 (edited)
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
    +1
    I like Bill Maher and I like Tim Tebow
  • elijahin24 ★~Docto... 2011/12/27 20:07:14
    elijahin24
    +3
    Well you're not a mindless-sycophant. I probably should have said "Bible-Thumpers" instead of "Christians". Many Christians are perfectly intelligent people. Bible-Thumpers on the other hand, think every time someone says something they don't like, that person must be boycotted and ruined for life.
  • Idiot r... elijahin24 2011/12/27 20:37:59
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Don't forget McGahee having a great year
  • elijahin24 Idiot r... 2011/12/27 20:53:24
    elijahin24
    +2
    Good point. That's true too.
  • Beautiful_Syn 2011/12/27 19:11:28
    Beautiful_Syn
    +2
    Everyone has something on twitter that they have later regretted and it will do well for people to remember that this is still a free country and people are entitled to say what they want to say!
    Maher's tweet was done in bad taste and he should apologize but please remember freedom of speech and until that's taken away he is entitled to say what he wants to say.

2014/09/02 14:10:35