Bill Maher: Mormonism a 'Cult'. Say what?

jt 2012/04/28 22:57:53

• Bill 2012/04/29 01:15:00 (edited)
    No.. it is not...
    Bill
    +5
    I don't know about that. I do know Bill Maher is a wanker

• autumnfae 2012/05/02 13:44:25
    No.. it is not...
    autumnfae
    +1
    I am sure that there are groups who take the religion too far and start to resemble a "cult" however I don't believe that the majority of them take it to that level .. its like saying all Christians are nutters .. completely false but there are a minority who take it to that level
    everyone has their own path and beliefs co-exist for goodness sake
  • brenda 2012/05/01 17:37:17
  • Ed 2012/05/01 15:31:12
    Yes.. it is...
    Ed
    Even thought it is, Bill Maher is a dick and irrelevant.
  • Jim 2012/05/01 13:01:57
    No.. it is not...
    Jim
    +1
    Mormonism is not a cult; it's a legit and recognized form of Christianity. Maher is a radical leftwing nutjob who has an axe to grind with ALL religions. The truly disturbing part of this is that his brand of extreme atheism is actually nothing more than a disguised form of hate which he spews from his HBO bully pulpit.
  • brenda Jim 2012/05/01 17:47:53
  • Jim brenda 2012/05/02 13:22:24
    Jim
    "but catching criminals and writing is what i do best."

Stick to catching criminals. LOL.
  • Red Jim 2012/05/01 23:34:09
  • Jim Red 2012/05/02 15:16:57
    Jim
    It’s considered a form of Christian primitivism by religious scholars and both the Episcopal Church and the United Methodist Church in the US recognizes the LDS as a new emerging off-shoot of Christianity. In other words it parallels enough of Christian doctrine to be considered a Christian sect.
    Mormonism was originally created to restore the primitive apolistc church established by Jesus Christ and the apostles so in that respect it is also just another offshoot of Christianity. While their view of the Trinity differs from Orthodox Nicene Christianity and they have added crap to the scriptures, they have similar views in terms of Christian Biblical terminology, Jesus, the body and the resurrection and the second coming. They recognize most of the Christian prophets with special emphasis on Peter, James, John and John the Baptist who they refer to as angles. They practice a form of Christian baptism and they celebrate the Eucharist. Furthermore it gained a lot of its doctrine directly from the Protestant reformation of the 1600s and the American Protestant movement of the 19th century. How anyone can NOT consider it a Christian sect is beyond freaking comprehension to the rational mind. The idea that it is not a form of Christian religion goes back to before WWII when little...

Mormonism was originally created to restore the primitive apolistc church established by Jesus Christ and the apostles so in that respect it is also just another offshoot of Christianity. While their view of the Trinity differs from Orthodox Nicene Christianity and they have added crap to the scriptures, they have similar views in terms of Christian Biblical terminology, Jesus, the body and the resurrection and the second coming. They recognize most of the Christian prophets with special emphasis on Peter, James, John and John the Baptist who they refer to as angles. They practice a form of Christian baptism and they celebrate the Eucharist. Furthermore it gained a lot of its doctrine directly from the Protestant reformation of the 1600s and the American Protestant movement of the 19th century. How anyone can NOT consider it a Christian sect is beyond freaking comprehension to the rational mind. The idea that it is not a form of Christian religion goes back to before WWII when little was known about it and it was considered a fringe religious cult. Just about the only people today who do not consider it a form of Christianity are crazy Christian fundies and people who only THINK they know what Mormonism and it’s origins are about. If you really want to split hairs here we can say that all of Christianity is nothing but a cult because it started out as little more than an offshoot of primitive Judaism. I know bible thumpers don’t want to hear that but that is the practical truth. Truth be told some so-called good Christians need to get their noses out of the Good Book once and awhile and get their academic facts straight.

BTW, I’m not a Mormon nor am I affiliated with any other religion; I’m an agnostic and that allows me to be open minded enough not to discount anyone’s religion simply because it differs from traditional religious doctrine.
  • Red Jim 2012/05/08 00:17:22
  • sandra 2012/04/30 21:06:58
    Yes.. it is...
    sandra
    I believe it is, along with many other religions, Jehovah Witnesses, 7 day Adventist......the list goes on and on......I just find most religions so creepy, anyways.
  • Red 2012/04/30 17:47:06 (edited)
  • brenda Red 2012/05/01 17:54:34
  • Red brenda 2012/05/08 00:18:44
  • Jim Red 2012/05/02 15:34:01
    Jim
    The practice of polygamy was officially abandoned as part of the Mormon Church in 18-freaking-90 (1890). Let catch up with the rest of us here in the 21st century shall we? To say that Mormonism isn’t part of Christianity is the same as denying the Christian religious sects that came out of the Protestant Reformation.
  • Red Jim 2012/05/08 00:11:04 (edited)
  • brenda Red 2012/05/14 17:33:28
  • mwg0735 2012/04/30 16:01:45
  • brenda mwg0735 2012/05/01 17:57:36
  • Red brenda 2012/05/01 23:37:42
  • mwg0735 brenda 2012/05/02 16:12:32
  • brenda mwg0735 2012/05/14 17:37:01
  • mwg0735 brenda 2012/05/14 17:54:15
  • Jim mwg0735 2012/05/18 15:05:19
    Jim
    You're not "your"

I got it, let’s put this incredibly stupid argument to bed and have a spelling bee, LOL.
  • Jean 2012/04/30 14:31:13
    No.. it is not...
    Jean
    Bill Maher thinks Christianity is also a cult and Judaism is a mental illness. Maher is a self-hating Jew who tries to distance himself from his own identity and ally with leftist chazzars who will turn on him in a minute when the time is right.
  • David L... Jean 2012/04/30 16:41:34
    David Lindner
    liberalism is a mental illness
  • D Hanes 2012/04/30 05:48:17
    No.. it is not...
    D Hanes
    Is this pig of a man, Maher still talking.... yuck! Makes me sick... was that him speaking German.. he makes a good pal for Obama the Fuher!

What an idiot presentation...
  • Flamingolady 2012/04/30 03:32:45
    Flamingolady
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/04/29 21:04:20
    No.. it is not...
    Elaine Magliacane
    +3
    If Bill Maher said the sky was blue I'd say NO IT IS NOT!.... That guy is a complete JERK
  • donald 2012/04/29 20:56:35
    donald
    +1
    It depends on what defines a cult. But if bill maher say's something I don't give it any credibility at all.Mormon's have some belief's that Christians don't have, like joseph smith created everything,and they don't believe in the Trinity.That's not saying that their not nice people,just that they don't believe the same things about God as Christians do.
  • brenda donald 2012/05/01 17:59:44
  • La Bef 2012/04/29 20:31:54
  • Walter Harris 2012/04/29 16:25:04
    No.. it is not...
    Walter Harris
    +2
    mormons are based on the original church the god made that you can read about in the old testament. we believe that christ is not dead, he is alive and seated at the right hand of god. we try to live our lives the way god intended. the way christ spoke of.
  • richtex4 2012/04/29 15:28:09
    richtex4
    +1
    Many years ago, I decided to learn about cults especially the ones that knock on your door on Saturday morning when your trying to sleep late. I read a book called "Kingdom of the Cults" in which it said that the god of the Mormons and the God of the bible are not the same. I went to the local bible book store to find a book of Mormon. When I asked the clerk where to find one, he directed me to the "cult" section. More recently, I stepped out on my front porch and talked to a pair of Mormon missionaries. I told them what I had read about Mormonism and they told me that a lot has changed since then and they talked about Brigham Young and other things. The point is, I'm still not sure what they believe. I do know this about them, they are good, moral people that believe in family and the same moral values that Christians, Jews and most Americans believe in. So, I
    have no problem with Mitt Romney being our president.
  • brenda richtex4 2012/05/01 18:01:47
  • DoxieDad 2012/04/29 14:55:14
    No.. it is not...
    DoxieDad
    +3
    Do we really care what Bill Maher has to say outside of his stupid for PROFIT show?
    His commentary is right up there with Chris Matthews and Shaun Hannity's opinions.
  • Waldorf 2012/04/29 14:37:00
    Yes.. it is...
    Waldorf
    +1
    Yes, it became clear to me when attending a Mormon wedding of two converts, in which only the bride and groom were allowed in the sanctuary for the service (ritual). Only ordained Mormons may enter the sanctuary. A separate secular gathering was held to allow families and guests to have a sense of attendance and involvement.

Once married the young people get to stop wearing their creepy, cultish underwear and are encouraged by the Church to create as many little Mormons as possible. Allowing children to stray from the Church would be unthinkable and culturally unforgivable.
  • David L... Waldorf 2012/04/29 23:55:50
    David Lindner
    yes because that defines a cult
  • Rod Waldorf 2012/05/01 01:45:03
    Rod
    You never attended a Mormon wedding in a Temple (not sanctuary). Every wedding held in any church from any religion is a ritual for gosh sake. You once again are mistaken about the Mormon (underwear). They don't stop wearing it after they are married. As a matter of fact that is when most begin to wear what they call, Temple Garments. You obviously know nothing about Mormonism. You have heard some stories, which are false or at the very least distorted, and you believed them. Do some research so that you can speak with some intelligence.
  • Waldorf Rod 2012/05/01 11:48:15
    Waldorf
    I didn't say I attended a wedding in a Temple. We were not allowed to go in but we were outside. I "attended" in that I travelled 600 miles to be there. On the issue of the underwear, the cult is creepier than I realized.

Hopefully,other Mormons are not as rude as you. If the cult wasn't so secretive, I might know more about the facts.
  • Rod Waldorf 2012/05/01 14:57:06 (edited)
    Rod
    The facts, as you call them, are easily researched. The only "facts" that are difficult to research are those that concern the ceremonies inside the Temples. #2) I am not a Mormon. I live in Utah because my job transferred me here from Michigan 15 years ago. I like it here so we decided to stay. I know many Mormons and they are not at all weird.

Also, I guess that all of those other religions that have their clergy wear robes at the pulpit are weird too. Anyone that practices their religion differently than you is weird.
    ______

Here are the definitions of a cult: (Do you fit into any of these categories?)

1: formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator

a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
    _____

Keep trying. You are ignorant about Mormonism. You are probably ignorant about all religions.

2014/12/21 03:25:55