Bible verses: Caring for the poor

Samantha 2012/04/18 00:53:42
I'm a member of a United Methodist Church; my church is a reconciling congregation. Within the framework of the United Methodist Church, a reconciling congregation means my church "...welcomes all persons, specifically including GLBT persons through a public statement of affirmation. This is the only group of people expressly made to feel unwelcome by the language of the Discipline, and the only group denied full rights of participation in the UMC. Therefore, the reconciling congregation’s statement intentionally welcomes all people, with specific mention of GLBT people. A reconciling congregation lives the UMC motto of Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds."

Our welcoming statement is: "As congregants of the First United Methodist Church of [for privacy reasons I omitted the city], we welcome and affirm all persons. We are intentional in being inclusive of those of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender orientations, all genders, ethnicities, nationalities, and abilities. In modeling the ministry of Jesus Christ, we shall all journey together into full participation in the life of the United Methodist Church and a closer relationship with God.

I'm proud to say my grandparents helped draft the welcoming statement above.

I support our missions and programs to help the needy. Why do many conservative Christians, politically connected to the GOP, oppose programs to help the needy but support tax breaks for the wealthiest? If they believe the Bible is the literal word of God, why do they ignore the following?

What does the Bible have to say about helping needy people — the poor, the homeless, the orphans, and the widows? Are there Bible passages which say we are supposed to have compassion and to be giving to the less fortunate? What biblical foundations are there for service to others?

http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/poor.htm

Old Testament passages"

"Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan." Exodus 22:22
"Do not deny justice to your poor people in their lawsuits." Exodus 23:6
"During the seventh year, let the land lie unplowed and unused. Then the poor among your people may get food from it, and the wild animals may eat what they leave. Do the same with your vineyard and your olive grove." Exodus 23:11
"Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:10
"Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly." Leviticus 19:15
"When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 23:22
"If one of your countrymen becomes poor and sells some of his property, his nearest relative is to come and redeem what his countryman has sold. . . . If one of your countrymen becomes poor and is unable to support himself among you, help him as you would an alien or a temporary resident, so he can continue to live among you. . . . If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave." Leviticus 25:25, 35, 39
"If an alien or a temporary resident among you becomes rich and one of your countrymen becomes poor and sells himself to the alien living among you or to a member of the alien's clan, he retains the right of redemption." Leviticus 25:47-48
"He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing." Deuteronomy 10:18
"At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied." Deuteronomy 14:28-29
"However, there should be no poor among you, for in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess as your inheritance, he will richly bless you." Deuteronomy 15:4
"If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7
"Be careful not to harbor this wicked thought: The seventh year, the year for canceling debts, is near, so that you do not show ill will toward your needy brother and give him nothing. He may then appeal to the LORD against you, and you will be found guilty of sin." Deuteronomy 15:9
"There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11
"Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns." Deuteronomy 24:14
"Do not deprive the alien or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge." Deuteronomy 24:17

New Testament passages
"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/25 18:40:38
  • Jo 2012/04/24 01:37:01
    Jo
    There is nothing Biblical about a government forcibly taking peoples'money in the form of taxes and doling it out to whomever they please in the form of welfare or disability or any other social program. There is nothing Biblical about being so irresponsible with other people's money that our elected officals burden our grandchildren with a trillion dollar debt. And finally, how does a Christian church become so in tune with the world and out of touch with Biblical principles as to tell GLBT people they AOK just as they are! Your grandparents, as leaders, will be held accountable for all the souls in hell that they are responsible for deceiving. God's people are dying for lack of knowledge - even the elect are being deceived. And all for the sake of being politically correct. Pray about that!
  • Samantha Jo 2012/04/26 22:20:53
    Samantha
    You must have missed Jesus' "render unto Caesar..."
  • Grabitz 2012/04/18 01:16:56
    Grabitz
    I doubt you get very many conservatives especially the tea party agreeing with you or God but I do and thank you very much for the scriptures as a reminder to the tea party how hard hearted they have become in Gods eyes .
  • Samantha Grabitz 2012/04/18 01:26:25 (edited)
    Samantha
    Sir, thank you very much for your comments. You're most kind. All of us, including myself, can strive to be better Christians or, for those who may not be religious, better brothers and sisters to those around us who may be suffering due to poverty, a devastating medical situation that has wiped out savings or someone who has lost a job. In my life, I've had excellent role models and, in all my actions/words, I strive to honor my parents (they died when I was six years old) and my grandparents who raised me after my parents died.

Thank you, once more, for your kindness.
  • Grabitz Samantha 2012/04/18 02:15:59
    Grabitz
    You are so very welcome Samantha . I feel everything about you comes strait from your heart . That is a rarity that I do not often experience from a person and thank you for the kind words . All these days will be cut short and God will fix up old mother earth and turn it back into a Paradise . Thy will be dune on earth as it is in heaven , but until then yes we need to help the needy . If not then we become no more then the beast .

2014/04/23 17:37:43