Beer Makes Men Smarter: study says Males solve brain teasers better after consuming alcohol, researchers say

Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/15 12:13:04

Beer makes men smarter.

So say researchers at the University of Illinois in Chicago.

They found that men with a couple beers under their belts were actually better at solving brain-teasers than their sober counterparts.

To reach that surprising conclusion, the researchers devised a bar game in which 40 men were given three words and told to come up with a fourth that fits the pattern.

For example, the word “cheese” could fit with words like “blue” or “cottage” or “Swiss.”

Half the players were given two pints. The other half got nothing.

The result? Those who imbibed solved 40% more of the problems that their sober counterparts.

Also, the drinkers finished their problems in 12 seconds while it took the non-drinkers 15.5 seconds.

“We found at 0.07 blood alcohol, people were worse at working memory tasks, but they were better at creative problem-solving tasks,” psychologist Jennifer Wiley reported on the Federation of Associations in Behavioral and Brain Sciences (FABBS) site.

Wiley conceded that her findings run counter to popular belief that alcohol hinders analytical thinking and muddies the mind.

“We have this assumption, that being able to focus on one part of a problem or having a lot of expertise is better for problem solving,” says Wiley. “But that’s not necessarily true. Innovation may happen when people are not so focused. Sometimes it’s good to be distracted.”

It may also help explain why raving drunks like Ernest Hemingway, John Cheever or Charles Bukowski were able to write their books.

“Sometimes the really creative stuff comes out when you’re having a glass of wine over dinner, or when you’re taking a shower,” Wiley said.

Researchers also found that men are more likely to solve a problem when working in groups of three rather than two.

“In groups of two, we tend to be more polite, not to confront or ask questions,” Wiley said. “But when you respond to a question in a group of three, you’re not confronting, you’re speaking up for the whole group.”

csiemaszko@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/beer-men-smarter...

• Captain-Morgan 2012/04/16 02:22:49
    Captain-Morgan
    GEE, IT TOOK RESEARCHERS TO FIND OUT THAT? MEN HAVE KNOWN THAT FOR TEN'S OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS.. WE ALSO FOUND OUT THAT " BEER IS FOR HORSES, AND WHISKEY IS FOR REAL MEN."
  • wolf sloan 2012/04/15 14:07:06
    wolf sloan
    All I know is that I seemed to do more stupid things back when I was drinking compared to now.
  • Captain... wolf sloan 2012/04/16 02:31:10
    Captain-Morgan
    IT'S NOT THAT WE DID MORE STUPID THINGS BACK THEN.. WE JUST REMEMBER BETTER NOW THAT WERE NOT DRINKING AS MUCH.. BESIDES I FOUND OUT IT WASN'T THE DRINKING THAT MADE ME STUPID.. IT WAS THE DRINKING IN BAR'S THAT MADE ME STUPID.. IT WAS SEEING DOUBLE, AND FEELING SINGLE...
  • wolf sloan Captain... 2012/04/16 02:34:01 (edited)
    wolf sloan
    +1
    I'll have take your word on that.
  • patrona 2012/04/15 13:23:09
    patrona
    Yes..Men are entitled to TRANQUILITY..
    as Well as Women enjoy their Perfume
    A lil Dab will do YA..!! just don't over do it...
    Both ..can Stink..!!
    +2
    And what beer company funded this study....?
  • jacob crim 2012/04/15 12:34:57
    jacob crim
    +1
    I do believe that with a few in my I concentrate better.
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/15 12:22:59
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Beer Makes Men SMARTER? Smarter than WHAT?

I can't imagine that there is enough BEER to make Men Smarter!

drunken men

2014/07/25 16:06:33