Been to the grocery store this week?

TruBluTopaz 2012/01/07 19:42:31
I ask that because I think the purchase of everyday commodities like groceries serves as a better gauge on what's going on with the economy than all those fancy think tanks and polls. Last week, before New Year's Eve, I bought steak and shrimp and some veggies for me and my husband's annual steak and shrimp dinner. We've done this since we were newlyweds. Many times we ate while watching Dick Clark on TV with our kids gamboling around us.

This year, we spent about $90 on last week's groceries. That includes cleaning stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, you know, the basics. While this price ticked up around Thanksgiving when we were fixing a big supper, that's been the average. So imagine my surprise when the same shopping list cost $124 this morning! That's a huge difference, but except for one package of Babybel cheese which I bought on a clearance sale, there were no extras. What caused the rise in price?

Then I looked at the price of gas on my way out of the Kroger parking lot. Last week I paid $3.01 a gallon. Today's price was $3.29! That's a huge increase in less than a week.What could be fueling this rate increase (no pun intended....)?

In looking at the current administration and the various measures passed on behalf (allegedly) of the American people, we have a government that is spending money like crazy. And the only way to replenish the coffers is to pressure for more taxes. Companies right now are having to scramble to absorb the increased costs from Obamacare. The only way for a business to get more profit in order to pay taxes is to raise prices. That's true for everyone from the local baker to the international oil company. Taxes raise prices on everyone. There is no such thing as a free lunch and those idiots at Occupy are now about to learn what the Obama administration really has in store.

There have been draconian actions designed to bring the US to its knees. Let's review:
1. Ethanol-This is a false flag. Ethanol takes food and animal feed off the market to make into expensive and highly corrosive fuel that destroys engines on older cars. If you are like me, you drive an older car because it is what your family can afford. So what happens when that ten or twelve year old Honda or Toyota has its engine gaskets eaten by the very fuel you have made available to you? Want to hear the real irony? The same states that produce the most corn have the FEWEST E85 stations. In fact some of them like Iowa, have leaded fuel? Why? Because fuel with lead works better, gives better mileage and keeps engines running efficiently. We are seeing much higher costs for gas because ethanol is a difficult substance to handle and blend. Ethanol is not the answer. The farmers know that. But that doesn't stop them from wanting the rest of us to buy into the fairy tale. This leads us to number 2.
2. GM and other motor company bailouts-Did you hear about the Volt? It's probably the biggest failure since the Edsel. This is Government Motors-taken over by the Feds because they didn't want their good buddies in the UAW to have to renegotiate wages with a new owner. Obama is all about the unions. But down the line, if what I state in #1 is true, many of us will be faced with the dilemma of having to buy a new car even if we can't afford it. This will force families to forego other amenties to buy cars so that they can continue working. This in turn will cause bank interest rates to soar for everyone because they can no longer penalize bad risk borrowers with higher rates than the average.
3. The top two will add to unemployment which will further stymie the economy....
4. Then there's the ethical issues of this administration. Seriously, has anyone investigated what Soros is doing with American stimulus money in Brazil? How about asking the Solyndra CEO to tell how much of the half billion stimulus dollars went directly back to the Obama campaign chest? There's Holder....There's Franks who left in anticipation of some still unnamed issues.....and on and on.....someone, anyone in the media, write a story without using Jounalist or AP for a change like back in the day when news was really news and not about the Kardashians.
5. When you go to the grocery store, note how many products are being discontinued. This is a bad sign because it means that people aren't buying and that stores dont' want to risk purchasing. This leads right back to the manufacturers and layoffs. Discontinue a line of cookies and you end up with factories closed and workers without jobs. Connect the dots.

I don't know how much longer I can deal with this personally. Things are getting bad. That the media continues to ignore what is going on makes me doubt that they are all that independent anymore. So I guess my advice is to keep your eyes open, talk to your neighbors and don't get snowed by the forces of Glittering Generalities and Abhorrent Arrogance.

• beachbum 2012/01/07 19:45:33
    beachbum
    +4
    Was there yesterday..........those who think the economy is getting better hasn't been to a grocery store to see the cost of goods. I cut back as much as possible - buy store brands, do without on things I used to buy, etc.

Agree - great post.

• Bocephus 2012/01/12 19:47:17
  • TruBluT... Bocephus 2012/01/12 22:59:57
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Yep. And if the Shell Oil Corp's projections are right, we will see five dollar a gallon oil before the end of this year. What will that do to Obama's campaign? What's more, what will that do to our economy?
  • Bocephus TruBluT... 2012/01/12 23:09:58
  • juice 2012/01/08 04:46:51
    juice
    +1
    This is only the beginning, prepare
  • MLor 2012/01/08 04:27:38
    MLor
    +1
    I noticed this all throughout 2011. Prepare. Wasn't that long ago we had $4 a gallon gas. It's going there again, count on it!
  • TruBluT... MLor 2012/01/08 21:54:14
    TruBluTopaz
    "European style pricing" wasn't that what Obama wanted to appease the green advocates?
  • keeper 2012/01/08 03:54:17
    keeper
    +1
    The prices seem to go up every week! I haven't bought beef meat in over 6 months!!
  • MLor keeper 2012/01/08 04:35:12
    MLor
    +1
    I noticed last spring due to the attack on eating healthy by the government, the price of junk food and candy shot up in price. Found that a little strange & funny. I hear ya on the cost of beef. Wow, and I love beef. Milk, beef, and gas, three of my favorite things, what are ya gonna do?
  • keeper MLor 2012/01/08 19:50:15
    keeper
    +1
    And the more veggies and fruits you eat creates more demand, hence higher prices!! ;-(
  • TruBluT... keeper 2012/01/08 21:56:16
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    And pushing for organic standards limits the production and further pushes up cost. All this administration understands is agenda, they do not understand every federal tax and mandate is passed on to the consumer in the form of higher costs.
  • keeper TruBluT... 2012/01/09 02:48:15
    keeper
    +1
    You are very accurate with that!
  • TruBluT... keeper 2012/01/09 02:55:09
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Meryl Streeps miscalculated disinformation against Alar nearly bankrupted Uniroyal. It turned out that as with the false accusations of childhood vaccines causing autism by Jenny McCarthy, Streep went off half cocked on a national assault and said apples were "poisoned" with Alar when in reality it prevented insects from eating apples before people did.
  • TruBluT... MLor 2012/01/08 21:55:10
    TruBluTopaz
    Beef is getting ready to go through the roof. Ditto pork. The ability to feed and water herds diminished in the drought so ranchers and farmers sold them off.
  • doc moto 2012/01/08 03:39:42
    doc moto
    The prices go up and up, the size of the contents of what you are purchasing is "shrinking" and it is NOT going to get BETTER anytime SOON. You have to go back to the BASICS and it is Healthier for all of us, just need more time to prepare the food! This is not a remedy, just a band-aid, we have to survive.

Praying and hoping that someone wakes up them yahoos in WDC; get rid of the stupid laws that are killing our babies, stealing our funds and sending it overseas and making laws that confine and punish our citizens!
  • TruBluT... doc moto 2012/01/08 21:57:24
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    I am one of those who already cooks and bakes most of what we eat. But have you priced even sugar, flour and butter and eggs? Staples are rising along with the rest because of the higher cost of fuel.
  • doc moto TruBluT... 2012/01/09 03:35:47
    doc moto
    Yes; but the basic is needed and the quality and quantity of producing more for the family unit is what I was referring and had to do...Being that we had enough with one man working at the time and raising four teenagers and high cost habits, my two sons are musicians! he he; you are absolutely correct, transportation goes up, labor, all, ALL the basic cost started climbing ten years ago and has been on a constant climb! Not bragging but have always been in the 'logistic' arena since 1969; ever since ML hit Mississippi after hurricane Camille hit the gulf coast...It is always bad news! Thank you for your input, I value your opinion and your response!
  • Aurora 2012/01/07 20:56:11 (edited)
    Aurora
    Yes I bought almost a week and half worth of grocery's and it cost me 160.00 dollars, OMG, this time last year it would have been 100.00. I used to love to shop, groceries, clothes, shoes, shirts, pants, and I loved to cook. and I have always had a budget to go by, I do not take my kid or my husband when I shop, tee hee they always grab stuff that we really do not need. Now I do not like to go shopping for anything. It's all cheaply made and too expensive. Polls, Pundits and Presidents can tell me we are in recovery, but one trip to the grocery store and gas fill ups tell me their is no way in hades.
  • TruBluT... Aurora 2012/01/07 22:09:01
    TruBluTopaz
    I dread shopping. Dread it. I find myself repeatedly asking if I really need this. And that applies to prescriptions and medical procedures. I haven't had my mammogram this year. I just can't afford $129 out of pocket.
  • Aurora TruBluT... 2012/01/07 22:17:29
    Aurora
    +1
    I know I feel the same way, it's not just the grocery's it's just everyday common occurrences.
  • U-Dog 2012/01/07 20:54:30 (edited)
    U-Dog
    +2
    Yes I have, thanks for asking.

poor guy in barrel
  • doc moto U-Dog 2012/01/09 03:36:46
    doc moto
    +1
    Here I thought I was the only one still using "stays"!
  • Nightmusic 2012/01/07 20:47:00
    Nightmusic
    I'm impressed with how efficient you are at keeping records. I only notice if prices seem higher. I have no idea what i spend from week to week.
  • TruBluT... Nightmusic 2012/01/07 22:09:30
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    I'm the only one working right now so I watch what I am spending like a hawk.
  • beachbum 2012/01/07 19:45:33
    beachbum
    +4

Agree - great post.
  • Kyle 2012/01/07 19:44:52
    Kyle
    +2
    yes and i hate going grocery shopping but i got to do it since i live on my own
  • doc moto Kyle 2012/01/09 03:40:43
    doc moto
    +1
    Kyle, keep a stiff upper lip; at least you are going out and making it work out, good for you! With that I am calling my grandson that lives by himself, like you and ask him how things are going! Thanks for reminding me!

2014/10/21 16:50:04