BBC America On PBS & Telling It Like It Is

chaoskitty123 2011/03/29 11:24:27
Sounds like the world news from BBC America hits the spot
BBC America... never heard of it
I think the BBC should stay in Great Britain
Well, BBC America's world news is now airing on PBS and considering that BBC America is a commercial network, expect the cries from the US political right to grow louder that the decision to remove government funding was justified.

They are also speaking about Libya telling us that even with the Allies, the progress made by rebels has now ground to a halt and Gaddafi's forces are again winning.

BBC America is also stating openly we don't know who the rebels are, that only now are the Allies trying to create a plan, the coalition is divided on what to do, America Britain and Frances demands including Gaddafi being put on trial are now being criticized as guaranteeing Gaddafi will not accept any offers to leave... in every possible way, BBC America is revealing that the Allies have royally botched things. Today, there will be meetings by the Allies to further determine what Libya's future will be... but as BBC America points out, they invited no rebel representation because it seems our leaders don't really know who to invite!

New claims of Allied airstrikes hitting, injuring and killing Libyan civilians are also now being reported by more than just Gaddafi and his forces.

BBC America also reporting on the situation in the nation of Ivory Coast where defeated President Laurent Gbagbo refuses to give up power. President Obama was put under pressure from African nations and foreign nations globally to intervene in the Ivory Coast situation because of our involvement in Libya and the situations being identical... thus, critics of Obama's actions have now been proven true on almost all counts including his explanations that we did this to stop Libya's leaders from killing his own people when there are many such leaders we will now face pressure to go after and remove from power.

Syria may be next to explode if it's entire government does not resign today as the same dynamics exist there as in Libya before protests began.

BBC America is even hitting issues like the US housing market which has stumbled yet again with growing foreclosures and is not expected to bottom out until 2013 if even then.

Of late, the news from BBC America has been more truthful, more honest and less biased than any of our domestic news sources as well as more concerned.

So while PBS may have just given it's opposition strong proof that cutting government funding can be justified... they have also just provided Americans with possibly the best news service in the entire country so that I can honestly say you should tune in to PBS if you want a daily dose of news without the distortions of left and right wing politics polluting the airwaves.

The only problem is they don't seem to understand what sports are popular in the US as as they seem to be reporting sports popular in Britain that have little popularity in the US.

They also have a slogan which will anger many Liberals... We Speak English (lol)

• reasontolive 2011/04/13 20:47:11
    reasontolive
    +1
    I rarely "watch" news, I prefer to read it because I dislike the bluster and fluff pieces. When I was on vacation, the only news I could get at times was BBC America. I was impressed with it and enjoyed their perspective.
  • chaoski... reasont... 2011/04/16 06:27:49
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    It's called journalistic integrity. You might notice they call themselves journalists also instead of media entertainers and all the other names our media calls itself by that basically means they're no different than Onion News Network.

• dink 2011/04/06 20:50:01
    BBC America... never heard of it
    dink
    +2
    The post sounds pretty good; I just have never heard of BBC America.
  • chaoski... dink 2011/04/07 00:44:55
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    BBC America has actually been available since about 1998 http://www.bbcamerica.com/ but most Americans know little about it because it's only been in recent years that they have begun airing some of the best BBC programs here at the same time as in Britain. Programs like Primevil and Dr Who top their list with many Americans.

You wouldn't know about them without Satellite and many Cable providers didn't start carrying it until recently because they couldn't draw a strong audience until recently.

Their news, however, has been highly accredited worldwide even if they have been panned for things like their focus on British sports like cricket that Americans have no interest in and miss a lot of American sports we are interested in because they are Brits rather than Americans doing the broadcasts and are a little out of touch with American activities in the area of sports lol.
  • dink chaoski... 2011/04/07 15:16:57
    dink
    +1
    I'll have to see if I can find it.
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2011/04/06 18:03:53
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    I watched the BBCA News back when it was on BBC America. They are far more factual and while they may be a little to the left, mostly they are center. I like that they don't waste my time with 'kitten in a tree' stories or the latest on Charlie Sheen.
  • chaoski... fuzzy K... 2011/04/07 02:30:57
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Yep lol.
  • Dora Rachael 2011/04/06 15:31:09
    Dora Rachael
    +4
    Cannot wait to see how the liberals spin this one in Obama's favor.
  • chaoski... Dora Ra... 2011/04/07 01:13:46
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Well, the BBC is government sponsored but under attack because the Brits are tired of shelling out $145 a year for what they get free with the other networks... in other words, this is what Liberals wanted for PBS but opposition stopped from happening.

PBS has numerous valuable properties but the problem is that being non commercial and having so many small stations broadcasting it... they actually don't have the money. It's what they call "Principle over Practicality" as the principle is being commercial free when practicality proves without question that to survive they need to go commercial. No one forces them to air commercials for anyone they don't like and during an election year... they could make a killing from election ad's the other networks don't like to carry.

I watch the History Channel, Discovery, SyFy, Science, Investigation Discovery, National Geographic, Green, the Military ChannelTravel Channel... a huge number of networks that provide the same material as PBS. I even watch the Kids PBS Sprout on occasion and RFDTV http://www.rfdtv.com/ which is a network aimed at rural America... and these are the main reason I have Satellite tv which I pay for. The reason I don't watch PBS is because of all the old British shows and it's just so far and inbetween that the...

I watch the History Channel, Discovery, SyFy, Science, Investigation Discovery, National Geographic, Green, the Military ChannelTravel Channel... a huge number of networks that provide the same material as PBS. I even watch the Kids PBS Sprout on occasion and RFDTV http://www.rfdtv.com/ which is a network aimed at rural America... and these are the main reason I have Satellite tv which I pay for. The reason I don't watch PBS is because of all the old British shows and it's just so far and inbetween that they air anything of interest that I just ignore them as with all the other networks... I can find something to watch. In fact, I also watch BBC America lol.

PBS can go commercial but the problem is they want to control what we see and government funding allowed them to do that whereas everyone else based a show continuing on how many watch it.

Go check out RFDTV if you have it. It's all about rural Americans and things like rodeos, Hee Haw, caring for a farm, country festivals... take a look at their schedule http://schedule.rfdtv.com/?tz=1 as it's pure Americana from the heartland you almost never see on PBS anymore because they have lost their focus.

We have options to PBS and if they want to survive... they need to look at these options to see what they can do to compete commercially against these groups.
  • Racefish 2011/04/06 14:58:54
    Racefish
    +4
    This is funny, but, yes, the defunding was justified. As to the bungling, France took the lead on this. Britain was brought in, then the US. Didn't BO say he wasn't going to do things like this?
    Now, it's starting to look like the whole world was sold a pig in a poke with BO's election.

"President Obama was put under pressure from African nations and foreign nations globally to intervene in the Ivory Coast situation because of our involvement in Libya and the situations being identical"

Are they really identical? Is he going to stick his foot in his mouth yet again? This would be really hilarious if it wasn't true. It reminds me of a Monty Python skit.
  • chaoski... Racefish 2011/04/07 01:18:36
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Since this was posted, you may have noticed that the shame and condemnation regarding the Ivory Coast led the UN to get involved there because they really had no choice... and that Obama got caught with his pants down again when it was revealed he made secret deals with Saudi Arabia allowing them to invade Bahrain to put down demonstrations against their leaders there so we could bomb the hell out of Gaddafi allying with rebels there... with our own military telling us they dicovered Al-Qaeda and Hezbolah were both behind the rebels while attacking our leaders stating very clearly that what they wanted was against the UN resolution and international law.

Obama has put his foot in his mouth over the Ivory Coast but it appears his backpeddling on Libya is keeping us from military action which France is happy to provide.
  • Racefish chaoski... 2011/04/07 16:47:04
    Racefish
    +1
    Maybe he should just keep his mouth shut. He keeps sticking his feet in it.
  • chaoski... Racefish 2011/04/08 08:45:45
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Fools never learn that particular art
  • Racefish chaoski... 2011/04/08 21:27:55
    Racefish
    +1
    Sad, but true.
  • Kane Fernau 2011/04/06 14:50:42
    Kane Fernau
    +5
    They are still quite liberal.
  • NYC Fir... Kane Fe... 2011/04/06 22:00:35
    NYC Firedog
    +3
    Liberal, Yea. But much less of an agenda in their reporting. And I don't care if they are liberal AS LONG AS WE ARE NOT PAYING OUR TAX MONEY. I'm a real constitutionalist. I just thank God we have Fox, and the other alternative media like American Thinker etc, to get the REAL news from, which the Left will NOT report.
  • chaoski... NYC Fir... 2011/04/07 01:36:25
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    They treat FOX no different than the other US news networks which is extremely refreshing as they call a spade a spade and even criticize the other networks for unfair biased attacks on FOX just as they do FOX when they do the same to the other networks... but they ironically seem to have more criticism for Liberal views of Conservatives from what I have seen because in Britain the party structures are different than in the US. I saw one of them the other day asking why the two party system in the US doesn't just get it over with since the Democrats are identified as Liberals and Republicans as Conservatives... just create a Liberal Party and a Conservative Party with everyone else who disagrees with both sides forming a third Moderate Party or something of that accord. The woman he was speaking too said, "Let's face it, American voters are just stupid as they're always fighting attacking one another as Liberals and Conservatives with each political party trying to purge itself of their ideological opposition"... the guy then replied "It is ridiculous when you stop to consider that but moreso when you toss in the other groups who just make things a confused mess so no one knows what they actually believe in any case".

That's why I like them because as outside observers, they can see exactly what I see.
  • NYC Fir... chaoski... 2011/04/07 02:11:41
    NYC Firedog
    +2
    You're right. Always good to get an outside viewer who has no dogs in the fight. But having met Brits from both sides of their aisle, I can see that they are also polarized, which is and always has been the case. Left and right is more divided against each other now though, and the liberal democrats once had members who actually loved their Nation. And I STILL want to purge the party of RINOS. Be what you are, and don't fake who you are not.
  • chaoski... Kane Fe... 2011/04/07 01:20:58
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    They are somewhat but the difference is they are operating under British law rather than American so they are expected to maintain an element of truth and not be biased. I have yet to see them attacking FOX without offering the same criticism for MSNBC and the leftwing news sources in the US. In fact, they seem to have purposely selected a more rightwing group for many of their news segments aired in the US.
    +2
    Actually .. my Package includes BBC America .. and quite frankly .. I do listen to BBC America News (along with listening to some of their programming as well -- programming that is MUCH better acted, better story lines than any of the junk put together by USA/Hollyweird).
  • chaoski... sglmom 2011/04/07 01:42:33
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Mostly talking about what PBS airs which is the older programs out of Britain rather than the newer stuff. BBC America has been around since 1998 and the BBC had a policy like what they did with PBS where they weren't airing their most recent programming. Now they are and programs like Primevil, Doctor Who and others are very popular with American viewers.

But for PBS, they kept selling packages from the 60's and 70's for the most part when the BBC was nowhere near as good as it began to become in the 90's.
  • sglmom chaoski... 2011/04/07 01:53:05
    +2
    Actually .. I was stationed overseas and can remember some of the early BBC Programming (including the Early Dr Who as well as .. let's see .. Benny Hill was another program I remember along with All Creatures Great and Small and Are you Served? ) .. and I did enjoy their 'humor' .. (it did take some getting used to .. but once i figured out the 'lingo' .. it really was quite good (as compared to some of the stuff coming out on USA channels at the time as well))

And lately .. it seems that a lot of US studios are trying to duplicate successful series from the BBC/UK .. (to not much success) ...
  • chaoski... sglmom 2011/04/07 03:16:01
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Benny Hill was one of a kind and one of the first British programs to hit it big here in the US... I always loved the guy.
  • sglmom chaoski... 2011/04/07 03:17:17
    AH .. I knew I wasn't the ONLY one who remembered back that far!
  • chaoski... sglmom 2011/04/07 07:26:23
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    How could I forget as local broadcasters didn't realize Britain allowed nudity in their programming and aired his programs without screening them first lol. It's kinda like when Walmart sold Hentai not knowing it was adult anime even though the packages told you they were x rated ;P

But Benny.... there were none better from Britain in my book as his childish antics made him look like a big kid with out of control hormones.

And he wasn't afraid to wear a dress lol.

I still miss the guy
  • TommyB 2011/04/06 13:19:38 (edited)
    TommyB
    +4
    On more than one occasion I've gone to international news sources to get both sides of a U.S. news/political story. The Brits have their biases but I find them often refreshing. That all being said, I still believe PBS/NPR should pay its own freight and be defunded.
  • chaoski... TommyB 2011/04/07 02:30:04
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    That's the point as BBC America is commercial even if BBC in Britain is not. If you have BBC America (check your tv channel listings), watch them this weekend as you'll see the same type of programs they've been selling PBS for decades... but they are commercial on BBC America which they seem to be doing very good as their viewership is actually increasing apparently.
  • TommyB chaoski... 2011/04/07 04:09:48
    TommyB
    +1
    I agree with your comments reference BBC America. I find them providing a wide range of topics/coverage. They're center-left but that's far better than the MSM. I stopped tuning in PBS stations, both radio and television, decades ago. Their leftward bias was too much to stomach.
  • chaoski... TommyB 2011/04/07 07:34:02
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    I've spoken about this on leftwing topics and no one will reply when they are busy attacking FOX as if your compare BBC America to the other networks other than FOX... you cannot escape the reality of just how leftwing and biased they are and that everything they say about FOX is even more true of the other networks because FOX is the only sense of balance we have in network news where the political right really gets any say... oddly enough, it takes a foreign network to be the only one which may actually connect with the center. The deal I read that was struck with PBS gives them no control over content produced by the BBC.
  • JL 2011/04/06 13:03:24
    JL
    +4
    MAYBE, JUST, MAYBE....B. HUSSEIN CAN BECOME THE JOKE OF THE ENTIRE WORLD!!
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/04/06 12:46:42
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +5
    Think I can get use to BBC!
  • chaoski... Annie~P... 2011/04/07 02:30:27
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    A lot of people are.
  • Annie~P... chaoski... 2011/04/07 03:06:08
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Actually chaos, we just got cable hooked up here and a few days ago, I ran across BBC news. Was pleasantly surprised as I liked it!!! Always thought BBC was a radical lefty progressive channel.
  • chaoski... Annie~P... 2011/04/07 07:29:54
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Maybe leftwing but compare them to MSNBC, CNN and the other leftwing networks in the US. The BBC proves without question that every criticism from the left about FOX can be applied to their own leftwing networks by simply comparing them to the BBC showing them what a center left network should be if they want to claim any level of impartiality.

2014/07/24 23:08:23