Banana Spider: Is this the World's deadliest spider?

Dangerous Dave 2009/03/19 18:57:59
The Banana spider is the world's deadliest spider!
No. I know a deadlier spider than this one...
The Banana Spider aka the Brazilian Wandering spider, is one of the most deadliest spiders. But that's not all, during this season more claims are announced in the USA found in fruit boxes and bags. can survive long transport from many exotic places around the world, and take-up residence in your friendly local grocery store. A Whole Foods employee in Tulsa recognized the spider, sometimes known as the “Banana Spider,” as the Brazilian Wandering Spider nestled in a bunch of Honduran bananas, and was able to capture it. Just make sure you be careful whenever handling imported fruits and vegetables.

• amanda 2009/08/25 00:21:26
    amanda
    +3
    please change this pic since it is not a brazilian wandering spider
    i was looking for pics to identify a common spider in my s.c. yard and found this
    it took some extra hunting to aleviate my fear for my 4 children
    i checked and doubled checked to confirm i had the relatively harmless kind

• sissy 2014/03/20 11:05:16
  • Pjpjj6734 2013/08/13 20:44:52
    Pjpjj6734
    Your confusing everyone there two different kinds of Banana Spiders The Golden Silk Spider (Lives mainly in the U.S) and the Brazilian Wandering Spider (Lives obviously in Brazil) but the GS isn't venomous (To Humans) but. The BW is one one of the deadliest in world right behind the Sydney Funnel Web Spider
  • Jinxie Kittie 2010/01/20 04:41:29 (edited)
    Jinxie Kittie
    +1
    The Banana Spider AKA Golden Silk Spider is not deadly. Golden Silk Spiders Nephila clavipes --the harmless Banana Spiders. Their bite is milder than a bee sting. Do not confuse them with the aggressive brown banana spiders from South America who are VERY DANGEROUS! Here is a link to where you can learn more about the banana spider http://www.shadygrovetraining... brown banana spiders south america dangerous link learn banana spider
  • Riley 2009/10/10 21:00:36
    Riley
    the banana spider is not the deadliest brown recluses are more deadly in a way the banana spider is taken to be deadly because the men that collect the bananas are not careful to check the bundle before they put it next to there neck so its there loss
  • amanda 2009/08/25 00:21:26
    amanda
    +3
  • fz750g 2009/08/24 01:18:33 (edited)
    fz750g
    +2
    This is not a photo of Brazilian Wandering Spider, is it?
    it is a Yellow Silk Spider, harmless, correct?

Some irresponsible mistake could end up getting a lot of Banana spiders killed for nothing.
  • Katherine the Renaissance W... 2009/07/27 01:13:03
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    You can't really forget the Brown Recluse Spider, which can literally leave gaping holes and nerve damage. forget brown recluse spider literally leave gaping holes nerve damage
  • BJet 2009/03/23 18:33:21
    BJet
    Mmm. This yellow one is warning, warning, warning like a yellow jacket or bee to sting. But I thought it is a spider mmm yellow warning warning warning yellow jacket bee sting number one.
  • Katheri... BJet 2009/07/27 01:11:03
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    Black widows are only really deadly to young children or sick seniors...or sick young children. You can get ill from them, which is why children can die so easily...their bodies haven't built a strong enough immune system.

FACT: The last recorded death due to a black widow bite was actually an after-effect of the Anti-venom.
  • Nonicknameunlessyouknowme 2009/03/22 06:47:02 (edited)
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    I don't know for sure which is deadliest but I don't want any brown recluse, taratula, funnel or banana spiders in my home or near my person. I do think some spiders are beautiful though. I especially like the black widow and I love those lovely webs in the morning covered in dew but you can add this spider to the others as one I would not want to handle. I would give them plenty of respect and distance but I'm sorry to say that they would suffer the effects of bug spray if they were to come into my home.

My grandparents owned a neighborhood grocery when I was a toddler and I do remember seeing my grandmother sweep a taratula out into the street and kill it with her broom after she opened a crate of bananas. It's not something I'm ever likely to forget.
  • santa6642 2009/03/21 11:26:23
    santa6642
    I believe the brown recluse is the deadliest .
  • the Griffin 2009/03/20 06:22:49
    the Griffin
    +1
    Define deadly and then we can have a discussion.
    The Funnel and the Wandering Spider are in the top 5 of the World's deadliest spiders.
    The camel spiders are technically not spiders and many claims about them are urban legends created by the military that have been stationed there over the years.
  • the Gri... the Gri... 2009/03/21 03:12:53
    the Griffin
    From the Atlanta Journal Constitution 3-19-2009
    World's deadliest spider found at Whole Foods in Atlanta
    The Brazilian Wandering Spider was found in bananas from Honduras. An employee spotted the arachnid in the produce section of the Tulsa grocery store and managed to catch it in a container.
  • cillic11 2009/03/20 05:11:13
    cillic11
    +1
    brown recluse
  • Songbird 2009/03/20 05:09:22
    Songbird
    Brown Recluse is the most deadly, that or the australian funnel web... it's really scary because Brown Recluse are every where where i live. their bite causes the tissue around the area to die (gangrine)

funnel web scary brown recluse live bite tissue die gangrine
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:12:40
    cillic11
    +1
    nice to see this picture again.my throw up doesnt taste to bad
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:14:01
    Songbird
    +1
    sorry, but i didnt have any of my uncle, and this is the closest i could find
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:15:26
    cillic11
    +1
    oh its cool.i always wondered what my throw up taste like
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:16:53
    Songbird
    lol!
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:21:00
    cillic11
    i know.aha!aha!aha!
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:22:25
    Songbird
    how does it taste?
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:25:48
    cillic11
    kinda like a banana strawberry smoothie.i think i might through up again and put it in a cup so i can have something good to drink
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:27:18
    Songbird
    haha! mabey we should put that in our little "movie"
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:32:14
    cillic11
    your right.we could like put it on their bodies and they can let it off each other!on top off that ill lose some weight.dont really need to but i always wondered what it would be like to be super skinny
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:34:22
    Songbird
    hahaha! sorry i cant come up with any better responses...
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:37:40
    cillic11
    its ok i love making people laugh even if there not doing shit!joking.you should try throwing up.whenever your thirsty just throw up.ew i should make a commercial about how good my throw up is
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:42:00
    Songbird
    wow...
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:44:52
    cillic11
    yeah theres alot more going on in my brian than people know and i probably could get alot of money from my throw up
  • Songbird cillic11 2009/03/20 05:49:18
    Songbird
    i bet you could... did you know that people pay for prechewed gum!
  • cillic11 Songbird 2009/03/20 05:52:51
    cillic11
    oh i should start sellin that.people say my spit taste good dont ask how they know.me and you could make a real profit off of these good ideas
  • big di cillic11 2009/03/20 14:17:44
    big di
    Uhhhh - how did a discussion of the world's deadliest spiders end up being "1001 Things to Do with Your Own Vomit" -???- Not saying it's not funny as h**l, just asking....
  • cillic11 big di 2009/03/20 17:41:18
    cillic11
    it started on one of my questions on my page.i think it was why is being gay in america such an issue
  • Made4U2... cillic11 2009/03/20 12:24:42
    Made4U2Wonder
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Made4U2... Songbird 2009/03/20 12:24:31
    Made4U2Wonder
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Made4U2... cillic11 2009/03/20 12:24:11
    Made4U2Wonder
    LOL!!!!!!
  • chrissy Songbird 2009/03/20 19:02:08
    chrissy
    Let's sic this Spider on killers like Osama, Akmidenjadh (sp), and the Marie Antoneitte of american politics Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Chuck Shumer, etc. etc. and any dirty terrorist who wants to kill Americans or Jews. Sic em'.
  • agnes Songbird 2013/10/05 14:06:08 (edited)
    agnes
    +2
    Brown recluse spiders have cytotoxic venom. The cytotoxin does not affect the victim vicerally . So the dermis,epidermis and subcutaneous tissue will experience cell death. It is not an immediate response. And if appropriately cared for can be treated if dead tissue can be removed. If a bite goes untreated for a longer period of time. There is risk of dying from infection or sepsis. But generally speaking cytotoxic venom is not deadly compared to a neurotoxic venom. Which will work by inhibiting the action of ions an their gates. Mainly calcium, sodium and potassium. Depending on the structure of the venom it could cause massive neurotransmitter release and not allow calcium gate to close....not allowing for another action potential to take place. Making for dystonic muscles. The main muscles you worry about here are the diaphragm and the walls of the chambers of the heart. Which will become paralyzed and in turn kill you by suffocation since the diaphragm is a main muscle on inspiration or by cardiac arrest due to the heart not pumping blood into the aorta. There are many different ways neurotoxins will affect the sodium potassium pump and leas to death. The Brazilian wandering spider and the Australia funnel web are the deadliest. They both possess neurotoxic venom and both ...
    Brown recluse spiders have cytotoxic venom. The cytotoxin does not affect the victim vicerally . So the dermis,epidermis and subcutaneous tissue will experience cell death. It is not an immediate response. And if appropriately cared for can be treated if dead tissue can be removed. If a bite goes untreated for a longer period of time. There is risk of dying from infection or sepsis. But generally speaking cytotoxic venom is not deadly compared to a neurotoxic venom. Which will work by inhibiting the action of ions an their gates. Mainly calcium, sodium and potassium. Depending on the structure of the venom it could cause massive neurotransmitter release and not allow calcium gate to close....not allowing for another action potential to take place. Making for dystonic muscles. The main muscles you worry about here are the diaphragm and the walls of the chambers of the heart. Which will become paralyzed and in turn kill you by suffocation since the diaphragm is a main muscle on inspiration or by cardiac arrest due to the heart not pumping blood into the aorta. There are many different ways neurotoxins will affect the sodium potassium pump and leas to death. The Brazilian wandering spider and the Australia funnel web are the deadliest. They both possess neurotoxic venom and both require antivenom in order for the pts life to be saved. Death will occur within 45 minutes for an adult male. And less time for an infant or smaller woman or the immunocompromized. The black widow that was previously mentioned has a cytotoxic venom that is also deadly. But because there is antivenom readily available. Deaths are rare now a days in relation to their bite. Also as previously mention antivenom can cause serum sickness. Which is an anaphalaxic reaction to the blood product given. Most antivenoms are comprised of horse blood. The venom is given in small amounts to the horse over a long period of time. The horse develops an immunity to the venom over time. The blood is harvested and that is what is given to humans after a bite. Our immune system can be overwhelmed by this introduction into our system and cause "serum sickness". Its a known side effect and potential risk. The picture shown here is not the Brazilian wandering spider. And should not be feared. The Brazilian wandering spider does not look anything like that spider. Its called wandering spider for a reason...it is not a web dweller. And will run after its prey rather than catch them in silk. It will hide under enclosures and stay there until its ready to go out and hunt....as a rule. Neurotoxic venom causes immediate risk of death. Cytotoxic does not. there is one spider...the six eyed sand spider. That is said to have a cytotoxic venom that affects the victims internal organs and causes massive hemorrhage. This has only ever happened to rabits in studies. As its unethical to test this out on a human pt. There is no data to support that this is the effect it will have on a human.
  • rouserbugs 2009/03/20 03:48:54
    rouserbugs
    WHOA THIS IS ONE BIG NASTY LOOKING SPIDER. SO IT IS POSSIBLE WE ARE IMPORTING A LOT OF THINGS WE HAVE NOT SEEN BEFORE. I KNOW WE ARE IMPORTING A LOT MORE THAN DEADLY SPIDERS. YES, BE MORE THAN CAREFUL, START RAISING YOUR OWN. SOON WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD FOOD.
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2009/03/20 03:03:58
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Isn't the Sindey Funnelweb Spider deadlier? I know many species of South American Spiders are up there in the lethality department. But I believe Australia's arachnids are the most venomous. deadlier species south american spiders lethality department australias arachnids venomous
  • ronbo 2009/03/20 02:55:52
    ronbo
    +1
    Great! That,s all we need is another invasive, non native species making its way to North America.

2014/12/21 09:31:21