AZ Gov. Jan Brewer lies ... about her father's death

Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15 2010/06/02 18:50:03

by kos
Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 11:26:03 AM PDT

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is so upset that some have invoked Godwin's Law when discussing her state's new Latino ethnic cleansing law.

"The Nazi comments . . . they are awful," she said, her voice dropping. "Knowing that my father died fighting the Nazi regime in Germany, that I lost him when I was 11 because of that . . . and then to have them call me Hitler's daughter. It hurts. It's ugliness beyond anything I've ever experienced."

Compelling! Except that she's pulling a Mark Kirk.

Gov. Jan Brewer said in a recent interview that her father died fighting Nazis in Germany. In fact, the death of Wilford Drinkwine came 10 years after World War II had ended.

During the war, Drinkwine worked as a civilian supervisor for a naval munitions depot in Hawthorne, Nev. He died of lung disease in 1955 in California.

Brewer made the comment to The Arizona Republic while talking about the criticism she has taken since signing SB 1070, the new immigration law that makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally.

"Knowing that my father died fighting the Nazi regime in Germany, that I lost him when I was 11 because of that... and then to have them call me Hitler's daughter. It hurts. It's ugliness beyond anything I've ever experienced," Brewer said in the story, published Tuesday.

Officials with the governor's administration said her statement should not be taken to mean that she was claiming her father was a soldier in Germany during the Nazi regime.

Ah yes, claiming her father died fighting Nazis in Germany should, in no way, be construed as implying that her father died fighting Nazis in Germany.

The lie has given one of her Republican primary opponents a huge opening.

• ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/06/02 19:11:06
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    And what do they say it "really" means?
    I really dislike this governor. She's driven this state into the ground and is now starting to dig with racist immigration law.

• Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate! 2010/06/02 23:38:13
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    The weird thing is that even if her story hadn't been a big fat lie that dishonors her own father for perceived political gain, her comment would have been stupid.

There is a clear correlation between the law she signed and supported discriminating against an ethnic group by forcing them to carry and show proof of their citizenship on their persons at all times and what was done at that stage of the Nazi persecution of the Jewish people. If she wanted to say in what way she thinks what she is doing is different that would be a discussion, but pretending that the obvious correlation doesn't exist is absurd.

Making up a pretend history for her own father's life and death, so she could feign hurt feelings rather than address the issue is beyond sleazy. I hope she has to pay politically for her disgusting ploy.
  • lauren dull 2010/06/02 19:57:14
    lauren dull
    Don,t know that I believe this put my first thought was , Why is it if you are a Republican you lie, if your a Democrat you misspoke???
  • Tricia ... lauren ... 2010/06/02 23:25:13
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    It kind of depends of whether it is the sort of slip of the tongue anyone could make that people are blowing out of proportion or whether the person is telling an out and out calculated lie. It isn't about Democrat or Republican. It is about arrogant politicians who make up crap as they go along and hope no one bothers to check it out.

Do you really want to defend her saying that her father died when she was 11, fighting the Nazis in Germany when he died ten years after the war and didn't even fight the Nazis in Germany? Does it sound like a slip of the tongue or maybe her memory is so bad that it replaces something as important as the death of her father with a tall expedient tale?
  • lauren ... Tricia ... 2010/06/03 00:09:48
    lauren dull
    I will believe it when I hear it with my own ear,s.
  • Tricia ... lauren ... 2010/06/03 00:36:48
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    You'll probably need your eyes instead of your ears as it looks like it was an interview with the Arizona Republic. You could probably look it up.
  • lauren ... Tricia ... 2010/06/03 03:08:42
    lauren dull
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/06/02 19:11:06
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    And what do they say it "really" means?
  • Auntie ... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/06/02 19:18:52
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    +2
    I'm with you there - I totally dislike - I'd vote for a turnip before I'd ever vote for her.
  • Auntie ... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/06/03 03:50:24
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    Looks like she's going to be another 1/2 term gov. another twit!

2014/07/22 14:57:56