Attorney General Eric Holder said some of the Gitmo Detainees may be released here in the US !!!? What say you?

Gwama- Patriot † In God We Trust † 2009/03/27 05:26:20
Tea Party !!!
I was afraid of that !!!
I don't believe it !!!
Source Wall street Journal:

Guantanamo Detainees May Be Released in U.S. Article
Comments (90)
more in Politics »By EVAN PEREZ
WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said some detainees being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, may end up being released in the U.S. as the Obama administration works with foreign allies to resettle some of the prisoners.

Eric Holder
Mr. Holder, in a briefing with reporters, said administration officials are still reviewing individual cases of the approximately 250 detainees to determine which will be put on trial and which may be released to comply with plans to close the detention facility by next year.

Six weeks into his tenure, Mr. Holder is still trying to assemble much of the Justice senior leadership, with several nominees awaiting Senate confirmation. He said he has reviewed the department's handling of white-collar criminal cases in response to the financial crisis and is considering ways to increase coordination on financial fraud among federal prosecutors and state officials. He said he is trying to increase the budget dedicated to white-collar crime, while maintaining funding for national security.

European justice ministers met with Mr. Holder earlier this week and pressed for details on how many Guantanamo prisoners the U.S. planned to release domestically, as part of any agreement for allies to accept detainees. Mr. Holder said U.S. officials would work to respond to the questions European officials have over U.S. Guantanamo plans.

For "people who can be released there are a variety of options that we have and among them is the possibility is that we would release them into this country," Mr. Holder said. "That process is ongoing and we've not made any determinations or made any requests of anybody at this point."

Among the detainees whose fate remains undetermined are 17 ethnic Uighurs, from the Central Asian region of China, who have been ordered released by a judge. The U.S. has refused to turn the men over to China, which considers them part of an separatist group.

Mr. Holder is planning to visit Mexico next month to meet with his counterparts and discuss efforts to fight the trafficking of guns from the U.S. into Mexico and the drug trade from Mexico into the U.S.

"The Mexican government has been courageous in the way it has confronted the problems that now challenge it," Mr. Holder said, noting the violence that has resulted from battles against the drug cartels in Mexico.

Write to Evan Perez at evan.perez@wsj.com

• Larry 2012/05/13 21:11:31
    I was afraid of that !!!
    Larry
    The only way they should be released is from a tall tree with a short rope.
  • Steeleye 2009/03/28 00:07:57
    Steeleye
    +2
    Does president Obama even understand who is held at Gitmo and why? It is apparent to me that we will need to stop trying to gather intel and just kill all terrorist/insurgents on the field of battle. So much for preventing attacks. We will just need to start responding, unless someone in the new administration decides that would leave our troops open to lawsuits.
  • TexCyn ( the ticked off Texan) 2009/03/27 19:02:36
    TexCyn ( the ticked off Texan)
    +2
    I can only say that if this happens.. they probably should not come to Texas. ( In my best Texas accent )..." Folks like that are not taken to kindly in these here parts, by dern".
  • looneysinger 2009/03/27 17:25:25
    I was afraid of that !!!
    looneysinger
    +2
    eric holder is a asshole along with obama!
  • GINGERBREAD 2009/03/27 16:41:03
    GINGERBREAD
    +3
    I have a suggestion; How about releasing all the gitmo detainees and make them live next door to Eric Holder. If this idiot thinks that these people are harmless, then he won't object if they lived next door to him. Makes sense to me.
  • Faith,♥ Maranatha! 2009/03/27 16:32:24
    I was afraid of that !!!
    Faith,♥ Maranatha!
    +3
    Everything he has done since he has been in office has been nothing but harmful to us. When will he ever stop? Until he has completely destroyed this country! NO! I do not want those awful people on our soil!!
  • Let Freedom Ring 2009/03/27 15:58:45
    Let Freedom Ring
    +2
    The Resident needs some more honest cabinet members.
  • Caroline 2009/03/27 15:52:59
    I was afraid of that !!!
    Caroline
    +2
    They are his brothers aren't they? Let them room in with him. afraid brothers room
  • Floe 2009/03/27 15:21:19
    Floe
    +3
    I'm thinking perhaps Obama is going to put them on his payroll. What other reason would there be to take the risk of letting these men out of GITMO onto US soil when it was the one thing you were trying to prevent in the first place.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2009/03/27 15:17:47
  • Jwalden --- Constitution Party 2009/03/27 15:12:31
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    +4
    Let Gomer Pyle say it
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2009/03/27 14:24:25
  • extremist ungawa 2009/03/27 13:58:45
  • Gwama- ... extremi... 2009/03/27 14:13:28
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +3
    I hear ya !!
  • Broken 2009/03/27 13:26:10
    Broken
    +2
    It is not at all surprising. America is getting what it deserves for electing Mr. Obama. It is a natural outcome of elections that those elected will act on their character and agenda. Closing Gitmo was a big pledge he made. It should come as no surprise that some of those released will be coming here.
  • RealTallWolf 2009/03/27 12:26:34
    I was afraid of that !!!
    RealTallWolf
    +3
    Go ahead Eric, allow the people whom were engaged in ARMED COMBAT against the United States Military to be released into the country inwhich they hate. If any of them are arrested for crimes or plotting terrorist attacks against Americans, then Eric Holder should be held accountable and arrested for Aiding and Abetting.
  • Gwama- ... RealTal... 2009/03/27 13:18:15
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    Eric and Obama !!
  • dpm extremist 2009/03/27 11:23:00
    I was afraid of that !!!
    dpm extremist
    +1
    I wonder if these people are related to BHO?
    Will the goverment give me a check because I WON"T give my guns up? Will I be a Terrorist then and able to get a check?
  • Desert Cloud 2009/03/27 08:23:41
    I was afraid of that !!!
    Desert Cloud
    +3
    BO is a 100 percent certified Kenyan born muslim terrorist. Buy lots of ammo and weapons.
  • lil mama 2009/03/27 06:40:32
    I was afraid of that !!!
    lil mama
    +1
    I'm not surprised. Please dont take our Guns!!!!!
  • Tpem 2009/03/27 05:45:50
    Tea Party !!!
    Tpem
    +2
    Have you noticed nanci Pilosi refused to open up Alcatraz for them and all the liberal mayors who they have approached have said no so where the hell do they think they are going to release them?
  • Gwama- ... Tpem 2009/03/27 05:47:29
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    It's pretty scary to think they are coming here !! the ones previously released went right back to Alquieda !!
  • Yuffie ♫ K-POP Dance Guru 2009/03/27 05:40:51
    I was afraid of that !!!
    Yuffie ♫ K-POP Dance Guru
    +5
    More reasons to keep our guns
  • Gwama- ... Yuffie ... 2009/03/27 05:43:27
  • Dale 2009/03/27 05:37:59
    Dale
    +3
    Perhaps Eric can put them up for a few days, just until the ACLU can get them permanent housing close in on the belt way.
  • Gwama- ... Dale 2009/03/27 05:41:30
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +4
    Dale.. they were saying that the ones released in US will get full support from our government.." to get them back on their feet !!LOL dale released support government feet lol
  • ShadowW... Gwama- ... 2009/03/27 05:50:23
    ShadowWatcher
    +1
    Sure be cool if us citizens could get some support from our government. lol
  • Gwama- ... ShadowW... 2009/03/27 05:51:46
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    I wonder if the bummer took any questions on that in his live web cast !!
  • ShadowW... Gwama- ... 2009/03/27 05:54:23
    ShadowWatcher
    +2
    I don't know, I didn't pay any attention to it.
  • Duke 2009/03/27 05:34:19
    Duke
    +3
    Dump their sorry asses in Brooklyn,NYC and the homeys will make short work of them...
  • Gwama- ... Duke 2009/03/27 05:42:19
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    LOL!! or Dump their Asses in the White HOuse with the Obama's !!
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/03/27 05:28:56
    Tea Party !!!
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +5
    Drop them off with Guns right at Holders house.
  • Gwama- ... Hula gi... 2009/03/27 05:42:33
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +3
    LOL!! or with Obama !!

2014/08/21 06:31:19